Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭kenny111

check out the offers for amazon prime customers today and tomorrow.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

kenny111 wrote: »
    check out the offers for amazon prime customers today and tomorrow.

Some v good deals over on the home automation bargain alert page.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭mossie

Question about the motion sensors. I got two, one to cover the hallway, the other on the corridor leading to the bedrooms. However I find that I almost have to be on top of the sensor to trigger it. Is this normal? I world have thought they would work at 15 to 20 feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

mossie wrote: »
    Question about the motion sensors. I got two, one to cover the hallway, the other on the corridor leading to the bedrooms. However I find that I lamppost have to be on top of the sensor to trigger it. Is this normal? I world have thought they would work at 15 to 20 feet.

Go into settings and adjust.

Go into settings and adjust.

I've tried but still not much better.

• Advertisement

I've tried but still not much better.

Is there anything in line of sight? Could you angle it differently?

Maybe try it lower down and facing straight and not tilted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

I get that the odd time with the sensors. Sometimes I'm at the bottom of the corridor (30 feet away) and sometimes I have to be within 4 feet.
    Hue labs have a formula called Third times a charm. That has a sensor setting in it too and even though mine was on max in the normal app I could still crank it up further there.

You'd be tied to using the formula to control the sensor though.
    Hue app > Explore > Hue Labs.

Roen wrote: »
    I get that the odd time with the sensors. Sometimes I'm at the bottom of the corridor (30 feet away) and sometimes I have to be within 4 feet.
    Hue labs have a formula called Third times a charm. That has a sensor setting in it too and even though mine was on max in the normal app I could still crank it up further there.

You'd be tied to using the formula to control the sensor though.
    Hue app > Explore > Hue Labs.

Thanks, I'll give it a go.

Is there anything in line of sight? Could you angle it differently?

Maybe try it lower down and facing straight and not tilted.

I have them on top of the door frames, no real obstructions but i'll play around with positioning when i get a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

I have them Hon top of the door frames, no real obstructions but i'll play around with positioning when i get a chance.

Hi Mossie can the Hue motion Sensors be used with philips GU10 recessed bulb do you think and can they be set to allways come on with the same color/ brightness or must you keep resetting the ambience of the light? I have zero experience of smart bulbs:o

• Advertisement

Hi Mossie can the Hue motion Sensors be used with philips GU10 recessed bulb do you think and can they be set to allways come on with the same color/ brightness or must you keep resetting the ambience of the light? I have zero experience of smart bulbs:o

They can be used but I think you only pick bright, dimmed and nightlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

I have a hue hub in sitting room with two color bulbs connected to it already.

If I wanted to get bulbs for my hall and bedroom and maybe another echo for bedroom as well would I need another hub?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

I have a hue hub in sitting room with two color bulbs connected to it already.

If I wanted to get bulbs for my hall and bedroom and maybe another echo for bedroom as well would I need another hub?

No you don't need a new hub, you can connect something like 40 bulbs to one hub.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

T-b0n3 wrote: »
    No you don't need a new hub, you can connect something like 40 bulbs to one hub.

Yep i was thinking this its just all the bundles on Amazon atm seem to feature hubs.

Last thing i need is another hub lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

63, although nthey recommend no more than 50. What's more, they are wireless mesh using a protocol called zigbee. If you have a Hue bulb out of reach of your hub adding another bulb somewhere halfway will help extend the range of the hub. We now have 11 bulbs throughout the house with the hub behind a corner unit in the kitchen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

I have a motion sensor in the downstairs toiler and I can set the light to come on in different light recipes (relax, read, concentrate, energize) or scenes (savanna sunset etc) but is it possible to adjust the brightness for my choice?

I previously had selected "relax" and it was a little too dark @ 50%, while I find "read" too bright @ 50%.

Is there a lab I can use or am I missing something? I've not used labs before.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I have a motion sensor in the downstairs toiler and I can set the light to come on in different light recipes (relax, read, concentrate, energize) or scenes (savanna sunset etc) but is it possible to adjust the brightness for my choice?

I previously had selected "relax" and it was a little too dark @ 50%, while I find "read" too bright @ 50%.

Thanks

You can create a scene for the room yourself setting the colour and brightness. THen the sensor can trigger to this scene.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

63, although nthey recommend no more than 50. What's more, they are wireless mesh using a protocol called zigbee. If you have a Hue bulb out of reach of your hub adding another bulb somewhere halfway will help extend the range of the hub. We now have 11 bulbs throughout the house with the hub behind a corner unit in the kitchen

I currently have 47 active bulbs, 11 dimmer switches & 4 sensors. The furthest bulb away from the hub is about 30m (hub is under TV in front room corner, furthest light is one of 5 outdoor spots in the farthest corner of the garden).

Initially when I'd less than 15 or so bulbs, connection and reaction to control was patchy the odd time, but in the last 2 years or so (since the entire house has been Hue), there's never been a blip in terms of unresponsive lights etc..

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Thanks

You don't need labs to do this. Just create a new scene, or edit an existing scene to the brightness of your choice and then save it.

So to do a brighter version of 'Relax' turn on the relax scene, then fade the brightness level up to where you want it, and when you go to create a new scene, it should offer the option of using the current light settings. Save it as something that's easy to spot like Relax 75% or whatever and then set your sensor to trigger the Relax 75% scene instead of a default Ambiance scene.

For me though, Relax wouldn't be the scene for a toilet/bathroom, so also try a scene with Read, and fade it down to whatever level you need, as there is more blue light in the Read scene than in the Relax scene. Or better still, use the colour ball to find the best colour/brightness combination for you, and then when creating the new scene, just select the 'Use current light settings'

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

Just got some philips hue lights and while i have it connected to my google home i can't get it to import scenes.

Anybody have any suggestions? Could the problem be that i logged into Hue account via my gmail rather than registering a new account?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

just to put it out here selling phillips hue bridge 2.0 new unused been sitting long time since have house wired with lights as is, and dont mind getting rid of it as came spare with kits, 30e collect, otherwise calc postage.Pm if anyone's interested. think its appropriate section here then adverts where it wont be ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,882 ✭✭✭AngelaRI

When I'm in my new house, I'll be on the lookout for some outdoor and garden lights - here's hoping there are some good deals on for Black Friday! I'd love a lightstrip and some garden lights, as well as a security light at my front door #wishlist

AngelaRI wrote: »
    When I'm in my new house, I'll be on the lookout for some outdoor and garden lights - here's hoping there are some good deals on for Black Friday! I'd love a lightstrip and some garden lights, as well as a security light at my front door #wishlist

Check out govee light strips. On offer on Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

Just tried hue Sync with our ceiling light in our front room, we have a pc connected to a HD projector and 120" screen - it actually works really well. There's no lag and it replicates on screen colours very well and flashes with sounds etc. Haven't tweaked with the settings at all yet but I'd be tempted to add more lights to the room now!

Alkers wrote: »
    Just tried hue Sync with our ceiling light in our front room, we have a pc connected to a HD projector and 120" screen - it actually works really well. There's no lag and it replicates on screen colours very well and flashes with sounds etc. Haven't tweaked with the settings at all yet but I'd be tempted to add more lights to the room now!

Yes more is better ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

I bought a hue lightstrip plus extension (thinking it was actually a lightstrip I could work out of the box).. It appears as though I need a starter kit... What is the cheapest starter kit I can get or are they 58£ like on Amazon, I ordered off Amazon and think I can get a refund off it.. Bought an energeenie hub the other day turns out it doesn't do anything I want..

I've an Osram Smart + colour bulb which I want to be able to change colour would a Philips hue be fit to work with this light? I have Alexa also echo dot 3.. Would the Philips hue be better to get than the Xiaomi Mija?..

I bought a hue lightstrip plus extension (thinking it was actually a lightstrip I could work out of the box).. It appears as though I need a starter kit... What is the cheapest starter kit I can get or are they 58£ like on Amazon, I ordered off Amazon and think I can get a refund off it.. Bought an energeenie hub the other day turns out it doesn't do anything I want..

I've an Osram Smart + colour bulb which I want to be able to change colour would a Philips hue be fit to work with this light? I have Alexa also echo dot 3.. Would the Philips hue be better to get than the Xiaomi Mija?..

Keep the extension and use when other is on sale....

Prime day had some great deals.

There is always something happening so keep an eye on it.

Philips hue hub will allow other makes but you won't get Philips product working without its own or the hub from Google I believe it is....

I got the osram light strip and was very disappointed with it.

I done up an outdoor pub light with the Philips 2 meter light strip and loving it....

Keep the extension and use when other is on sale....

Prime day had some great deals.

There is always something happening so keep an eye on it.

Philips hue hub will allow other makes but you won't get Philips product working without its own or the hub from Google I believe it is....

I got the osram light strip and was very disappointed with it.

I done up an outdoor pub light with the Philips 2 meter light strip and loving it....

How much was the 2M lightstrip on Amazon prime day do you know?

Will the lightstrip work without the Philips hue like can I work it through Alexa or an app or is the hue a must have?

I see the hue is 48£ with 2 X white E27's my lights a B22 though so not sure whether to bite or not ... I'm basically just pimping up my room..

I bought the cololights 5 X for 40euro on AliExpress so hope I don't need a hub for them either ..

How much was the 2M lightstrip on Amazon prime day do you know?

Will the lightstrip work without the Philips hue like can I work it through Alexa or an app or is the hue a must have?

I see the hue is 48£ with 2 X white E27's my lights a B22 though so not sure whether to bite or not ... I'm basically just pimping up my room..

I bought the cololights 5 X for 40euro on AliExpress so hope I don't need a hub for them either ..

There are adapters to fit so if you buy E27 then you just plug in same as bulb....

So for 2 meter plus 1m extension it came in at £50 or or £49 if I recall correctly....
    That's a great price and there was three B22 or E27 starter pack for £69 which was amazing.

• Advertisement

There are adapters to fit so if you buy E27 then you just plug in same as bulb....

So for 2 meter plus 1m extension it came in at £50 or or £49 if I recall correctly....
    That's a great price and there was three B22 or E27 starter pack for £69 which was amazing.

I bought the hue and 2 bulbs there had to pay an extra 10p from what I got refunded with the energenie hub and smart plugs..

Would I not be better off sending the extensions back too?.. then waiting for a sale on the 2M lightstrip kit I paid 17.50£ for the extension pack..It's pretty much worthless to me now..

Advertisement