Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

The thing is though, once you get done, your done!! I’ve had the entire house all hue for about 2 years now, so don’t need to buy anymore!!

I’ve 10-11 dimmers, 4 sensors and a sh1t ton of spare bulbs!! Even my mothers house has about 30 bulbs installed!!

As much as I love seeing all these deals, I don’t need any more, and eventually everyone who uses hue will be like that, so stick with it, do your whole house and you’ll be grand!

Thats a good point.

I'll keep an eye out for more bulb/switch deals on Amazon and buy bit by bit.

I was tempted to go down the route of cheaper colour bulbs for kids bedroom to work with Alexa but I think I'll stick with the tried and trusted Phillips hue

• Registered Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Brian017 wrote: »
    I have the SM220 and SM209 double adapters. They both work well for me but I prefer the SM209 prefer as it doesn’t use the dimmers backplate to attach so it’s easier to access the switches if I need to

I set up one of the covers to my bedroom. It kept happening that when I fitted the hue back plate it would knock the rocker switch to off position (no matter how gentle I tried to fit it. The solution was gaff tape to keep the switch in the on position.

The switch works fine now. I wonder if it’s a slight design flaw or maybe I fitted it incorrectly (I could have tightened the screws too much thus reducing the space between old switch and adaptor)

How did yours fit ?

Edit :

Just notice this from Samotech website
    “In a rare situation where attaching the Philips faceplate interferes with the light switch’s rocker, please turn the light switch upside down. Turning the switch changes the rocker’s ON/OFF position to avoid contact with magnets on the Philips faceplate. The issue may only exist if a light switch or its rocker is bigger than the suggested compatible size”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭Brian017

I set up one of the covers to my bedroom. It kept happening that when I fitted the hue back plate it would knock the rocker switch to off position (no matter how gentle I tried to fit it. The solution was gaff tape to keep the switch in the on position.

The switch works fine now. I wonder if it’s a slight design flaw or maybe I fitted it incorrectly (I could have tightened the screws too much thus reducing the space between old switch and adaptor)

How did yours fit ?

Edit :

Just notice this from Samotech website
    “In a rare situation where attaching the Philips faceplate interferes with the light switch’s rocker, please turn the light switch upside down. Turning the switch changes the rocker’s ON/OFF position to avoid contact with magnets on the Philips faceplate. The issue may only exist if a light switch or its rocker is bigger than the suggested compatible size”

My single and double adapters fitted okay, the only problem I had with mine was that I had to use longer screws than the ones supplies. I had no problems with the rocker at all, the only time the backplate interferes with it is if I press to hard when clipping it back in.

A while ago, I needed another double adapter and they were out of stock so I opted for the non backplate version and I prefer these I think

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Does anyone know of a smart plug that can be synced with a Phillips Hue dimmer?

I have my hue lamps in the sitting room on a dimmer and another lamp (integrated bulb so can't change it) on a smart plug but it's a bit annoying that I can't turn all on/off with the dimmer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

keane2097 wrote: »
    Does anyone know of a smart plug that can be synced with a Phillips Hue dimmer?

I have my hue lamps in the sitting room on a dimmer and another lamp (integrated bulb so can't change it) on a smart plug but it's a bit annoying that I can't turn all on/off with the dimmer.

You could do it in HomeKit or the like, don't think Hue can do it native.

• Advertisement

Rew wrote: »
    You could do it in HomeKit or the like, don't think Hue can do it native.

Oh, maybe I can link them with IFTTT or something - I hadn't thought of that. Thanks for the suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭nialldinho

Hi guys

How can I tell if Hue GU10s will fit in my existing fittings? Is there a particular type of fitting I need to have?

Thanks

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

nialldinho wrote: »
    Hi guys

How can I tell if Hue GU10s will fit in my existing fittings? Is there a particular type of fitting I need to have?

Thanks

Here is a photo of a Hue Colour Ambiance, beside a White Ambiance, beside 2 regular LED GU10 bulbs,

As can be seen, the Hue Colour Ambiance is much larger than the other 3, the Hue White Ambiance is almost identical to a regular LED GU10

439441.jpeg
    439442.jpeg

holder for the larger GU10 colour here;

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105911276&postcount=1475

• Registered Users Posts: 4,127 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

If I have some lights on an Chandlier (E14) and some above a mantle-piece (E27) can they all be controlled on the one dimmer switch? This is in one room the living room

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭THE ALM

If I have some lights on an Chandlier (E14) and some above a mantle-piece (E27) can they all be controlled on the one dimmer switch? This is in one room the living room

Yes, you can control a room with the switch, so whatever lights are grouped in the room will be controlled

• Advertisement

Here is a photo of a Hue Colour Ambiance, beside a White Ambiance, beside 2 regular LED GU10 bulbs,

As can be seen, the Hue Colour Ambiance is much larger than the other 3, the Hue White Ambiance is almost identical to a regular LED GU10

439441.jpeg
    439442.jpeg

Thanks a mil. I knew you’d posted a pic of the holder before but couldn’t find it with search! Will have to check mine later and see if they’re suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭micks_address

Fitted my 8 colour b22s to replace the white onlys.. epxensive but at least got them on good price with amazon.. i have 8 white bulbs which are less than a year old.. ill find homes for few of them in lesser used rooms.. but if anyone fancies a few on the cheap let me know.. should be lots of life left in them

Anyone know of any app (iOS) that allows you to put the lights on a sunset timer? I know the official app has this but it’s room based and it’s all or nothing, not specific lights (e.g. just the ceiling lights)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

THE ALM wrote: »
    Yes, you can control a room with the switch, so whatever lights are grouped in the room will be controlled

And to add, iConnectHue allows you to control just a subset of lights in a room or lights across multiple rooms.

The app isn't free, but a most have for anyone with multiple Hue bulbs and an iOS device.
    Brian017 wrote: »
    Anyone know of any app (iOS) that allows you to put the lights on a sunset timer? I know the official app has this but it’s room based and it’s all or nothing, not specific lights (e.g. just the ceiling lights)

As I mentioned above, try iConnectHue :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

bk wrote: »
    And to add, iConnectHue allows you to control just a subset of lights in a room or lights across multiple rooms.

The app isn't free, but a most have for anyone with multiple Hue bulbs and an iOS device.

So, as an example, I have 9no. GU10s in the kitchen, and Iswap them for Hue coloured units.
    Are you saying that if I wanted...
    Green, Red, Blue
    Red, Blue, Green
    Blue, Green, Red.
    I couldn't do that with the official app, but I could with iConnectHue?

bk wrote: »

Oh god. I’m an idiot! that’s my go to hue app even above the official one. I searched earlier and I couldn’t find anything anywhere. Didn’t notice the watch icon under my groups :o

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Soarer wrote: »
    So, as an example, I have 9no. GU10s in the kitchen, and Iswap them for Hue coloured units.
    Green, Red, Blue
    Red, Blue, Green
    Blue, Green, Red.

I haven't tried, but yes I think you should be able to.

You could create a scene with that selection of colours for each bulb. And then set the buttons on the Hue dimmer switch to turn on/off that scene.

Green, Red, Blue
    Red, Blue, Green
    Blue, Green, Red.

You can absolutely do that in the official Hue app.

When you create a scene, you can alter the colour of any bulb in the room, and save it as a scene when you're done.

You can go into any room at any time, and change any or all of the bulbs to whatever colour you like, then you can save the 'current settings' as a scene, which can then be triggered at the tap of the app, or a dimmer switch, or even activated by a motion sensor.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,864 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

My Samotech covers arrived today. A small bit bulky but nothing I won't get used to. Very handy so as not to lose the dimmer and it'll stop people flicking the switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭micks_address

TitianGerm wrote: »
    My Samotech covers arrived today. A small bit bulky but nothing I won't get used to. Very handy so as not to lose the dimmer and it'll stop people flicking the switch.

Might be in thread but is there good deal on these?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,864 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Might be in thread but is there good deal on these?

I paid £9.60 on Sunday but they are £8 each at the moment.

Samotech® SM200 Light Switch Cover for Philips Hue Dimmer - Adapter - Converter https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07D5KJ4B6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_Dce-BbAAZ2JW3

I had to use AddressPal but they got them on Wednesday and I collected them from the post office today.

Looks like I should be ok if I ever go for the coloured ones.

My fittings seem quite similar to the one you linked to.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Hue packs in Tesco with a dimmer and a single e27 warm white for 24.99. Seems a good deal given the price of the dimmer on Amazon?

Hue packs in Tesco with a dimmer and a single e27 warm white. Seems a good deal given the price of the dimmer on Amazon?

What price is it in Tesco?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

keane2097 wrote: »
    What price is it in Tesco?

Price would have been helpful!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Disappointed there are no good offers on GU10 colour lamps.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

Might be a stupid question, but is there a way to revert the colour back to the default white?
    I messed around with a couple of bulbs, doing different scenes, but can’t find how to get back to “white”.

Might be a stupid question, but is there a way to revert the colour back to the default white?
    I messed around with a couple of bulbs, doing different scenes, but can’t find how to get back to “white”.

Just turn them off and on again at the power switch.

Hue bulbs will always power on to a default warm white

Tap on the light. There’s two colour wheels in the top right corner, tap the White Colour wheel. Or you can tap one of the light recipes in the left hand corner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,218 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I'm going to order this for my living room / kitchen. I'll be getting six GU10s, a hub and a dimmer switch. So far the only other lights there are an Ikea Floalt panel (doesn't change colour but you can change warmth of the light a bit) and E14/E27 lamps.

Just wondering if I should be going for ambient white or colour? Do people use the colour a lot?

Advertisement