Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭eusap

Has anybody used a diffuser for the HUE LED Strip, any recommendations?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

eusap wrote: »
    Has anybody used a diffuser for the HUE LED Strip, any recommendations?

I tried one and the effect was terrible, very spotty, off the top of my head it was 20mm deep which is fairly deep for Alu profile and a diffuser.

Hue announced outdoor motion sensors finally!

https://www.facebook.com/309473069184584/posts/1646427635489114

New outdoor lights, seem to be existing Philips garden lights with hue bulbs but they also added a flood light which will handy.

https://www2.meethue.com/en-us/ces2019?linkId=62096142

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭paulbok

Rew wrote: »
    Hue announced outdoor motion sensors finally!

https://www.facebook.com/309473069184584/posts/1646427635489114

Delighted with the outdoor sensor, it's something I've been looking for, only ever seen a ugly z-wave one that had bad reviews.

paulbok wrote: »
    Delighted with the outdoor sensor, it's something I've been looking for, only ever seen a ugly z-wave one that had bad reviews.

Yeah i have an indoor one in a sheltered spot and its brilliant but ild like them in other places too, im not looking forward to seeing the prose though.

Floodlight is over due too and impressed that they have done it in a colour option and it has decent light output (2300 lumen). Again the pice is going to be horrific...

I'd guess around €40+ for the sensor.

Hopefully someone comes up with an outdoor contact sensor for the gates, not so much as for automation but for checking if open/closed.

Hopefully someone comes up with an outdoor contact sensor for the gates, not so much as for automation but for checking if open/closed.

My bet is 60-80 for the sensor. I agree on the gates would love one and they would be dead simple to do.

• Advertisement

My bet is 60-80 for the sensor. I agree on the gates would love one and they would be dead simple to do.

Just spotted an article with the US price, $50, so that should make it €45-50.

I agree the rest of the lights will be pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭Brian017

They said the RRP is €50 in a facebook comment

Brian017 wrote: »
    They said the RRP is €50 in a facebook comment

€55.50 + 15 delivery on Amazon.de :eek:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The flood light looks very nice and would go very well with the Yale Smart Alarm, that has the feature that can flash Hue lights when the alarm is triggered. Could turn all your outdoor lights into a nice alarm box type thing.

A little expensive though, specially with the motion sensor. Just a few weeks ago I ordered a Hue E27 colour bulb and an E27 waterproof outdoor light fitting for around €50 all in that should do much the same.

Nice to see extra options.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,865 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

bk wrote: »
    The flood light looks very nice and would go very well with the Yale Smart Alarm, that has the feature that can flash Hue lights when the alarm is triggered. Could turn all your outdoor lights into a nice alarm box type thing.

A little expensive though, specially with the motion sensor. Just a few weeks ago I ordered a Hue E27 colour bulb and an E27 waterproof outdoor light fitting for around €50 all in that should do much the same.

I'll grab two of the Floodlights to replace the current fittings for the back of my house when they are reduced in a sale. €90 would be my biting point I think.

Floodlight is interesting as the lumens are quite high compared to any other outdoor lights they do. Good chance ill get one next month as I have dead spot its perfect for so Ill compare to the existing lily spots I have.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I might also go for the floodlight & an outdoor sensor as my current setup is a 400w halogen in the back garden and a Hue Lux in the side laneway both wired up to the same switch, so the lux is effectively a dumb bulb as it's only powered on when the halogen is powered on.

not cheap though.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Floodlight is interesting as the lumens are quite high compared to any other outdoor lights they do. Good chance ill get one next month as I have dead spot its perfect for so Ill compare to the existing lily spots I have.

Excellent point, it is an impressive 2,300 lumens versus just 900 lumens (single E27 bulb) my hobbled together setup gives me. Very bright, great for security.

Though I'm just lighting an apartment balcony, so this would be WAY to bright for me (obviously you could dim it), but it would be perfect for my families homes with big driveway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭jones

I might also go for the floodlight & an outdoor sensor as my current setup is a 400w halogen in the back garden and a Hue Lux in the side laneway both wired up to the same switch, so the lux is effectively a dumb bulb as it's only powered on when the halogen is powered on.

not cheap though.

I've to replace 6 hallogen floodlights on my property and these would be great (seeing as inside is almost completely hue driven). Only problem is the cost would be a serious outlay...might be better getting normal led floodlights definitely cheaper anyway

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

jones wrote: »
    Only problem is the cost would be a serious outlay

Yeah, I put 5 Lily spots in my back garden last year. They are great, but they were way too expensive at something north of £400 for them!!!

Hindsight and I wouldn't have got them as they are merely just a feature!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭jones

My head tells me don't bother with these hue floodlights but my heart wants them god dammit

jones wrote: »
    My head tells me don't bother with these hue floodlights but my heart wants them god dammit

They are better bang for buck than the Lilly anyway. I only use put in Lilys in the back as down facing spots, 2 floods would have done more for less :(

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭dendof

The Colour Floodlight is here:
    https://www.amazon.de/Philips-Flutlicht-Aussenbereich-Millionen-kompatibel/dp/B07KMNWQLQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=lighting&ie=UTF8&qid=1547137135&sr=1-2&keywords=hue+discover

Steep enough but I'd be tempted.
    2300lms is very bright I think?
    I have an led floodlight already, maybe 30w. This should be much brighter than that?

dendof wrote: »
    The Colour Floodlight is here:
    https://www.amazon.de/Philips-Flutlicht-Aussenbereich-Millionen-kompatibel/dp/B07KMNWQLQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=lighting&ie=UTF8&qid=1547137135&sr=1-2&keywords=hue+discover

Steep enough but I'd be tempted.
    2300lms is very bright I think?
    I have an led floodlight already, maybe 30w. This should be much brighter than that?

The peak draw on the Hue floods is 30w as well but how bright stuff is will depend on the construction. I have 1000 lumen light strips and they are very bright and 600 lumen Lilys and they are decent to light a small area on their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,306 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Would you get notifications for when they turn on overnight? I guess a camera could be set up to take pictures...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Would you get notifications for when they turn on overnight? I guess a camera could be set up to take pictures...

Ring floodlight cam might make more sense in that case. Does motion light and video and light timers all via the app.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

It's there anyway to add just 1 or 2 of the Philips hue lights to the harmony remote/hub??

It's there anyway to add just 1 or 2 of the Philips hue lights to the harmony remote/hub??

Do you mean without the PHilips Hue Bridge? Then no, the harmony hub needs to "talk" to the Hue bridge to control Hue lights.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Do you mean without the PHilips Hue Bridge? Then no, the harmony hub needs to "talk" to the Hue bridge to control Hue lights.

If you had an Echo Plus as the bridge, would the harmony control it then?

Advertisement