Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

bought 2! not really what i want but the alternative are just to expensive for a simple on off switch that still keeps the bulbs smart!

I'm probably in the minority here but I like these. Great in bedrooms because I'm not a fan of bedside lamps and can use the remote from bed.
    I also place mine above the physical switch in rooms to give a nice visual reminder to guests to leave the switch alone.

Can set multiple functions such as preset scenes to different buttons so don't always have to have phone to hand and find the app room light etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Power-on behaviour not available on the official app.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I'm probably in the minority here but I like these. Great in bedrooms because I'm not a fan of bedside lamps and can use the remote from bed.
    I also place mine above the physical switch in rooms to give a nice visual reminder to guests to leave the switch alone.

Can set multiple functions such as preset scenes to different buttons so don't always have to have phone to hand and find the app room light etc.

I've about 10 in all around the house, placed right next to the traditional light switches and they are a great addition to Hue. Means you're not faffing about with phones to get the lights on bright or on an Ambiance/Colour scene.

I picked one up as well this morning at the lower price, but they appear up to £24 now!! They've never been that expensive! They must have shifted a ton this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Anyone think there will be better deals in January sales.

Getting new house in mid January and want to kit the house out.

I have 2 indoor blink cameras and wondering is it worth the money getting 2 for outside.

They are 40% off at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭davegilly

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Got a few thanks. Now on to find some wall plates, seems Samotech are out of stock. Any other recommendations?
    I have Samotech. They fit well and look nice so I will wait until they are back in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭paulbok

Anyone think there will be better deals in January sales.

Getting new house in mid January and want to kit the house out.

I have 2 indoor blink cameras and wondering is it worth the money getting 2 for outside.

They are 40% off at the moment.

Might be worth searching through the bargains thread after Xmas last year and see what was on offer then. The Amazon sales tend to be similar at certain times of the year.
    Can't see much better than 40% being available though

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

As of todays app update you set your Hue lights to go go back to previous state after a power outage instead of coming on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Rew wrote: »
    As of todays app update you set your Hue lights to go go back to previous state after a power outage instead of coming on

Thank god for that as I travel a lot I have to unplug the bridge while I'm away in case there was a power cut

• Registered Users Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭paulbok

Rew wrote: »

Seems to be only available for the latest gen 3 bulbs.
    That was the only one that would update for that feature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Brian017

paulbok wrote: »
    Seems to be only available for the latest gen 3 bulbs.
    That was the only one that would update for that feature.

Every bulb ever produced is getting the update. They’re just releasing it in waves. My 3rd gens got it last week, my 2nd gens and bloom got it this morning. I’m still waiting on my GU10s to get it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭rob w

Brian017 wrote: »
    Every bulb ever produced is getting the update. They’re just releasing it in waves. My 3rd gens got it last week, my 2nd gens and bloom got it this morning. I’m still waiting on my GU10s to get it

Where is the setting in the app after update....I cant seem to find it!?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Brian017

rob w wrote: »
    Where is the setting in the app after update....I cant seem to find it!?

Thanks

Tap Settings then Power on behaviour

Brian017 wrote: »
    Tap Settings then Power on behaviour

Cant find that on mine....is that on the official hue app? Not sure what gen my bulbs are although I only bought them last month.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

rob w wrote: »
    Cant find that on mine....is that on the official hue app? Not sure what gen my bulbs are although I only bought them last month.

If you cant see it, maybe the app update hasn't installed yet. Go to the Apple/Play store and install the update.

Davy wrote: »
    If you cant see it, maybe the app update hasn't installed yet. Go to the Apple/Play store and install the update.

Got it now, sorry I thought it would work after updating my bridge! I hadn't updated the app yet.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Alkers

BobMc wrote:
    I swopped out some lightstrips the other day, 2m + 2x 1metre extensions, wont be using them anymore, adhesive is going to need a freshen up but working great for a good price if anyones looking

Did you sell these?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I'm trying to set up my first bridge, it is telling me that I have to update it but the update downloads half way and then fails. Is there anything I can do? Have already tried restarting router and reinstalling Hue app on my phone

I'm trying to set up my first bridge, it is telling me that I have to update it but the update downloads half way and then fails. Is there anything I can do? Have already tried restarting router and reinstalling Hue app on my phone

I would suggest resetting the bridge too if not already done

• Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I would suggest resetting the bridge too if not already done

Thanks - got sorted in the end. Hard resetting the bridge wouldn't work - problem was with my phone connected to the 2.4ghz wifi channel, it would only work if I connected to the 5ghz

• Advertisement

I have a Hue set up in sitting room comprising of Hue strips on back of TV and down through TV stand shelves,GU10 spots and 2 tall corner lamps all with Hue color bulbs.

I have groups and scenes also set up through Alexa and Harmony Hub

For the groups and scenes I have different light settings set up but whenever I go down the route of just using one lamp or something and I then choose a group or scene such as "Netflix" scene( i.e. all lights to blue and 50% preset in the scene) after using a single lamp the scenes goes to blue except for any lamp that was previously a different color for individual use.

The straight up question i suppose is do they always go to last state even when choosing a pre-set scene or group ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Bit confused with the motion sensor. Can I set it to only work after sunset and only if the lights are off? If they are on I don't want it to do anything. Additionally I only want between set hours to come on dimmed if its triggered. Am I asking too much?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Bit confused with the motion sensor. Can I set it to only work after sunset and only if the lights are off? If they are on I don't want it to do anything. Additionally I only want between set hours to come on dimmed if its triggered. Am I asking too much?

Yes the motion sensor will only turn on the lights if they are off. Otherwise they will stay on until they timeout(no motion in a defined time period) or are turned off. So if you change the the setting manually or by routine it will stay at that setting until it times out or a routine changes it.

Yes you can set the light sensitivity setting on the motion sensor to what you think is a level suitable level for coming on. You can see what that level is when configuring based on current light.

Yes I have my lights in bathrooms and hallways\landings to only come on either dimmed or nightlight setting at set times at night and then to come on brighter during the day depending on the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

There is a Hue lab called 'three times a charm' where you can set lights to do different things during different times of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

There is a Hue lab called 'three times a charm' where you can set lights to do different things during different times of the day.

Does that work with the dimmer switches or just with the motion sensors?

I would love if the dimmer On for my bathroom lights could do one scene during the evening and a dimmer one in the middle of the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

keane2097 wrote: »

I would love if the dimmer On for my bathroom lights could do one scene during the evening and a dimmer one in the middle of the night.

Just the motion sensor as far as I can recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

There is another hue lab called "Sensing the weekend" which allows you to have different settings for weekends and weekdays and also allow three times zones (day, evening & night)

So for me, motion in the day, whether weekday or weekend, does nothing, no lights activated. Motion in the evening turns on the light to the color or scene I set and motion at night brings on a very dim night light, which is enough light to see by, but not enough to wake you up if middle of the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭dam099

keane2097 wrote: »

iConnecthue third party app on iOS can do that, its not on Android but I believe there are similar ones for it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

There is another hue lab called "Sensing the weekend" which allows you to have different settings for weekends and weekdays and also allow three times zones (day, evening & night)

So for me, motion in the day, whether weekday or weekend, does nothing, no lights activated. Motion in the evening turns on the light to the color or scene I set and motion at night brings on a very dim night light, which is enough light to see by, but not enough to wake you up if middle of the night.

What’s the benefit of the 3 time zones though? I use the bog standard hue app and with the ambient light sensor I have lights off during the day, bright in the evening and dim at night - is there anything extra you can achieve aside from weekend/weekday specific stuff?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,131 ✭✭✭AngelaRI

Has anyone found a replacement power adapter for the Hue Bridge (second gen, the square one)? My cats chewed through the wire yesterday... I tried some other adapters I had at home with similar output but none physically fit into the bridge socket...

Advertisement