Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭rob w

dam099 wrote: »
    iConnecthue third party app on iOS can do that, its not on Android but I believe there are similar ones for it too.

I don't have an iPhone, but I wonder is it possible to get the app on iOS (via a friends phone, say) connect to my bridge and then use it to programme the bridge/lights as I would want them set. Once they are set - do I have any further need for the app, or can I use the lights on the new setting and work away. (Obviously if I wanted to tweak/change settings I would need the app again?)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

rob w wrote: »
    I don't have an iPhone, but I wonder is it possible to get the app on iOS (via a friends phone, say) connect to my bridge and then use it to programme the bridge/lights as I would want them set. Once they are set - do I have any further need for the app, or can I use the lights on the new setting and work away. (Obviously if I wanted to tweak/change settings I would need the app again?)

That could very well work, as all automation/timers/settings (from the main Hue app anyway) are stored on the bridge, so I don't see why it would be different with iConnect Hue

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭NoeldeBournaix

AngelaRI wrote: »
    Has anyone found a replacement power adapter for the Hue Bridge (second gen, the square one)? My cats chewed through the wire yesterday... I tried some other adapters I had at home with similar output but none physically fit into the bridge socket...

That's a disaster! If you cant repair the cable, you're probably better off buying a replacement bridge, or wait to see if you can pick up a mini starter pack next time they're on offer.

There are some power supplies on ebay that claim to be suitable replacements but I couldn't be certain, maybe send them a message to verify.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/202143144106

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

That's a disaster! If you cant repair the cable, you're probably better off buying a replacement bridge, or wait to see if you can pick up a mini starter pack next time they're on offer.

There are some power supplies on ebay that claim to be suitable replacements but I couldn't be certain, maybe send them a message to verify.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/202143144106

I'd say wait until someone puts up the bridge on adverts or ebay that they got in a package on black friday fortnight. Lots of people bought it just for the bulbs half price and sell on the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

Has anyone found a replacement power adapter for the Hue Bridge (second gen, the square one)? My cats chewed through the wire yesterday... I tried some other adapters I had at home with similar output but none physically fit into the bridge socket...
    Depending on what part of Dublin you are located in and if we could meet somewhere I have a spare bridge & power cable you are more than welcome to. Just PM me if it is any use to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭AngelaRI

Orion wrote: »
    I'd say wait until someone puts up the bridge on adverts or ebay that they got in a package on black friday fortnight. Lots of people bought it just for the bulbs half price and sell on the bridge.

Yep, did that, found a good deal on eBay that was part of a starter kit bought for the deal on the bulbs, bridge not needed. Problem is that most of the eBay listings show delivery end of next week earliest. Christmastime is not ideal for posting anything unless you're willing to wait a bit longer than usual. And most are shipping only to the UK, so ParcelMotel - which is usually swamped at this time of year and thus a few days slower too - happy New Year!

In the meantime, I asked a guy at work who had the toolkit to improve my re-connection of the exposed wires - he did a good job, my old hub is working and will do the job until the replacement arrives.

Some of those generics look suspect - the name/titles mention "Hue Hub" but they have slightly different specs on the jack diameter dimension, so not sure which of the 2 main variants will actually fit (5.5x2.5mm, or 5.5x2.1mm)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭AngelaRI

Depending on what part of Dublin you are located in and if we could meet somewhere I have a spare bridge & power cable you are more than welcome to. Just PM me if it is any use to you.

Ah goodness, talk about timing, replacement already ordered off eBay last night (decent price). I'll definitely give you a shout when the cables get chewed again - seems one of my cats is developing a taste for electrical wiring :confused: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Ah goodness, talk about timing, replacement already ordered off eBay last night (decent price). I'll definitely give you a shout when the cables get chewed again - seems one of my cats is developing a taste for electrical wiring :confused: :eek:

Let's hope it doesn't end up like the cat in national Lampoon's Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭fullirish

Quick question please - I have a failed plug on the hue light strip I bought in the last month - bought it on amazon - is contacting amazon or philips the quickest way to get a replacement ?

fullirish wrote: »
    Quick question please - I have a failed plug on the hue light strip I bought in the last month - bought it on amazon - is contacting amazon or philips the quickest way to get a replacement ?

Amazon.

Philips won't entertain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Amazon, they have amazing customer service if you bought direct from them and will ship you a new one instantly. You'll have 30 days to return the broken one

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

Had a similar issue, died 2 days after arriving.
    Contacted Amazon and got a replacement quicker than I could package up and send back the faulty one (free returns)!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭fullirish

Thanks a mill, will try amazon...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭jones

DrZeuss wrote: »
    Had a similar issue, died 2 days after arriving.
    Contacted Amazon and got a replacement quicker than I could package up and send back the faulty one (free returns)!

i was the exact same must have been a dodgy batch of plugs

• Registered Users Posts: 9,689 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

What's the recommended App for linking hue lights to work in tandem with Xmas music and what do I need ... I've got a few light strips and downlights plus an echo dot with Spotify.

What's the recommended App for linking hue lights to work in tandem with Xmas music and what do I need ... I've got a few light strips and downlights plus an echo dot with Spotify.

Hue Disco on iOS is quite good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Hi Guys can anyone please tell me how to get my hue blooms working with my hue hub? I followed a tutorial on YouTube last year and it had me pushing the on button on my bloom remote near my hub and while it let me discover my blooms it reset my hub so I had to discover all my lights and strips again. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

Hi Guys can anyone please tell me how to get my hue blooms working with my hue hub? I followed a tutorial on YouTube last year and it had me pushing the on button on my bloom remote near my hub and while it let me discover my blooms it reset my hub so I had to discover all my lights and strips again. Thanks

I could never get the Bloom's to work with the hub and the remote at the same time, so I resorted to just adding it to the hub and using the app (and discarding the remote).

The easiest way I found to add it to the hub was by using the serial number from the Bloom (should be on the bottom or added to a tag/label somewhere on the plug cord), rather than trying to search for it as it wouldn't find it if it was already linked to the remote I found.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,256 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

What third party switches are people using?
    The Philips ones are ugly looking things.

I've a number or 3, 4 and one 5 gang switch that need replacing with a compatible zigbee switches, do they even exist?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

I can tell you which ones don't work and that's the Trust ones.
    Bought from Amazon listed as Hue compatible but just doesn't work.
    Only decided to look at the reviews after i had bought it and all the reviews suggest it doesn't work with Hue.

• Advertisement

What third party switches are people using?

I’d say most people aren’t using any switches at all! They are smart lights after all!! Kind of defeats the purpose of buying expensive smart lights if you also need to buy expensive smart switches to turn them on/off! I have every room in the house automates with timers/routines. I do still have Hue dimmer switches for the odd time I want to control a light outside of my regular lighting routines. But out of about 11 dimmer switches in the house, only 2 probably see regular use.
    The Philips ones are ugly looking things.

Each to their own but I think they look good. I mount all mine next to the traditional ‘dumb’ switches (I changed all the plastic dumb switches to nicer brushed aluminium ones).

Each to their own but I think they look good. I mount all mine next to the traditional ‘dumb’ switches (I changed all the plastic dumb switches to nicer brushed aluminium ones).

Ok, you definitely work for Philips! :D

They look OK but I'd like to replace the switches with something a bit slicker, and not have them side-by-side or some samotech hack. Others in the house will continue to use the dumb switches and kill the extended range of the zigbee mesh network, causing automation to fail on bulbs furthest away from the hub.

I want the automation paired with the manual control.

I know the Vimar and Nico switches cost big bucks, has anyone on here tried them? Can't find any real world reviews on the Vimars at least.

Are the Chinese 'friends of Hue' too by any chance?
    Gearbest/Ali express etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭super_sweeney

I’d say most people aren’t using any switches at all! They are smart lights after all!! Kind of defeats the purpose of buying expensive smart lights if you also need to buy expensive smart switches to turn them on/off! I have every room in the house automates with timers/routines. I do still have Hue dimmer switches for the odd time I want to control a light outside of my regular lighting routines. But out of about 11 dimmer switches in the house, only 2 probably see regular use.

I use the Hue dimmer switches as I couldnt find any that are cheap. To answer the "smart switches" i agree they are smart but when people visit they turn them off and they they are not so smart...... So i put in the dimmer switches and removed the normal light switch so they cant be turned off. I would like to use the Vimar ones

https://www.vimar.com/en/int/vimar-and-philips-lighting-13879132.html

but at 80 pounds a switch! i couldnt justify it will just have wait some more :(

I use the Hue dimmer switches as I couldnt find any that are cheap. To answer the "smart switches" i agree they are smart but when people visit they turn them off and they they are not so smart...... So i put in the dimmer switches and removed the normal light switch so they cant be turned off. I would like to use the Vimar ones

https://www.vimar.com/en/int/vimar-and-philips-lighting-13879132.html

but at 80 pounds a switch! i couldnt justify it will just have wait some more :(

53 quid for these ones from amazon.de

https://www.amazon.de/Vimar-0K03906-02-Funk-Funksteuerung-Philips-Friends/dp/B07KGHSJFF?ref_=mw_olp_product_details

https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeKit/comments/a5k5sf/installed_new_friends_of_hue_switch_from_niko/

These Nico ones look the biz.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I got a notification on the Philips Hue app about a new pendant light they have called the Enis light. But, when I search their website for it I can't find it. Are they slow to add new items to their own stock!?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Thanks, but I can't seem to buy it (or see a price) there either? For example, I can't find it in the Hue Shop - https://www2.meethue.com/en-gb/support/hue-shop

Nice light but wow it's expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭blahfckingblah

Any bricks and mortar shops selling the hue play?

Advertisement