Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭THE ALM

I dunno I'm so pissed off that I did by mistake. Can it be re attached using those

Looking at them you will need to have cut at the soldered connection points on the strip, don't have one in front of me so it might be every 30cm so you may have to sacrifice a short length if you have cut along the dotted line as per Hue instructions.

All you will be doing then with the connector is joining the two pieces together to allow power to pass along its length.

I have used similar on cheaper led strips.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭NoeldeBournaix

I dunno I'm so pissed off that I did by mistake. Can it be re attached using those

It probably depends how far the cut is along the strip. Could you post a photo?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

It probably depends how far the cut is along the strip. Could you post a photo?

I will when I get home in about half hr or so. I cut it at exactly at the scissors line at the beginning

I will when I get home in about half hr or so. I cut it at exactly at the scissors line at the beginning

Here is pic thanks for looking and hope it can be repaired

could be a bit tricky looking at that, don't think you have a solder joint between that cut and the cable to the controller?

• Advertisement

THE ALM wrote: »
    could be a bit tricky looking at that, don't think you have a solder joint between that cut and the cable to the controller?

So what can I do to save it. I bought the 2m plus 1m

• Registered Users Posts: 27,886 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Probably bin the poor thing to put it out of its misery :(

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Probably bin the poor thing to put it out of its misery :(

Can the 1m be used to re attached the cut piece using adapter

At the minute the only thing I can guess at is that the cable from the control box to the lightstrip is a multicore cable and that cutting it will expose the cores and these could then be joined/soldered to the longer piece of lightstrip but that would be a last resort option.

Will be home after work and check out the strip I have to see if there would be another option.

Can the 1m be used to re attached the cut piece using adapter

Here is other side

• Advertisement

Here is other side

Anyone try to build their own hue

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭NoeldeBournaix

I wonder could you use the cut-off as an extension if you bought another, giving you 4 meters

I wonder could you use the cut-off as an extension if you bought another, giving you 4 meters

im thinking that myself.if i bought a third party controller would it work

im thinking that myself.if i bought a third party controller would it work

I use a couple of third party controllers that are compatible with Hue, will see if it is possible to connect them.

The only problem I see with Hue is that it has 6 connections and you would need to work out what these relate to, I assume power, r, g, b, ww, cw.

Another option would be to get hold of the older 2nd gen controller that has a separate connector.

thanks what third party controller do u use.if i get hold of 2nd gen will it work

thanks what third party controller do u use.if i get hold of 2nd gen will it work

This is one of the ones I use. One thing with these is that you loose some of the functionality like being able to add them to an entertainment areas or use hue sync, I use it in a bathroom to don't miss those functions.

Second gen would be a better solution as you could use this with the longer piece of lightstrip and extension and would be the avenue I would go down first.

This is one of the ones I use. One thing with these is that you loose some of the functionality like being able to add them to an entertainment areas or use hue sync, I use it in a bathroom to don't miss those functions.

Second gen would be a better solution as you could use this with the longer piece of lightstrip and extension and would be the avenue I would go down first.
    thanks but how would i use that to connect my strip also cant seem to find any 2nd gen

do u need a controller everytime u add a strip

thanks but how would i use that to connect my strip also cant seem to find any 2nd gen

you would need to cut across the soldered joint not the dotted line indicated on the strip then use the connector to controller, this video shows what is involved.

If you had a soldered joint on the short piece that you have then you could join this back to the longer piece, I don't think that is an option in your case.

• Advertisement

do u need a controller everytime u add a strip

you can extend the strip up to 10m on one controller

you would need to cut across the soldered joint not the dotted line indicated on the strip then use the connector to controller, this video shows what is involved.

If you had a soldered joint on the short piece that you have then you could join this back to the longer piece, I don't think that is an option in your case.

thanks ive ordered the 5m strip from aliexpress with controller

is it possible to open up the controller and see how the wires are connected inside?

is it possible to open up the controller and see how the wires are connected inside?

totally sealed

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭davegilly

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Once you set the ikea bulbs, how solid are they after? I need to change all the outside lights (about 10) and I only want to be able to turn them on and off through the app/Google home, no dimming or colour change needed.

Also, once they are setup, what's the maximum distance you can get them away from the hue bridge?
    You should be fine. I've only got one Hue bulb and the rest of the house has Ikea and they all work perfectly, never had any issues with them. Theyve been in for about 18 months.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Going to be putting up the Christmas lights tomorrow (damn toy show) and I was hoping to use a couple of strips, a lamp and a couple of bulbs to make a great experience for the kids, any recommendations on the best Android apps to use? I'm seeing very mixed reviews for the paid apps.

totally sealed

they don't make it easy

they don't make it easy

That's for sure. You live and learn I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭davegilly

Anyone know where I can get some switch plates that will fit the hue dimmer over my current light switches? I've seen one in Amazon but it's 10 quid plus 5 or 6 quid shipping. I have quite a few switches to replace so something a little cheaper would be nice. Anyone 3d printing these locally?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

You can buy them directly from Samotech https://www.samotech.co.uk. Shipping is cheaper too. I've bought both normal SM200 and the grade A ones. The imperfections on the grade A are minuscule.

Advertisement