Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭jones

It's not 3 for 2 its 30% off the second item you buy.
    Still decent but not as good as 3 for 2 :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,428 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

anyone get the hue lucca outdoor lights?
    Trying to see what the installation is like? Nothing on it really online.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Sooo, I got some hue lamps yesterday and am now hooked!

The price of them is slightly annoying, I have been looking at some osram lamps instead.

My question is, if I add them to the hue app is it possible to control all of them through something like Alexa?

Cheers and sorry if this has been covered

Sooo, I got some hue lamps yesterday and am now hooked!

The price of them is slightly annoying, I have been looking at some osram lamps instead.

My question is, if I add them to the hue app is it possible to control all of them through something like Alexa?

Cheers and sorry if this has been covered

• Registered Users Posts: 22 chrisoleary89

Yes all hue lighting should be controllable through Alexa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭micks_address

Hi all,

I ordered a hue lightstrip with the intention of placing behind our tv. Its an oled with very thin glass so I don't fancy sticking the light strip to the back of the screen. Anyone use one behind their tv? Its on a cantilever standmount so im thinking some sort of board with the lights stuck to it and attach that to the tv bracket.. I could just drape them over the bracket behind the tv but the light distribution would probably look daft

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Following on from the previous users light strip post, do people with it successfully sync it to their TV's to match what is being shown? Iv only read up on it briefly but looks like you need a third party app for it to work, anyone have recommendations or experience with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

CHealy wrote: »
    Following on from the previous users light strip post, do people with it successfully sync it to their TV's to match what is being shown? Iv only read up on it briefly but looks like you need a third party app for it to work, anyone have recommendations or experience with this?

Not using a lightstrip per se, but you need to install the Hue Sync software on your PC [it's very very good,] then run a HDMI cable from PC to as a source to the TV to get the proper sync, as far as i'm aware it won't sync up with Live TV unless you've one of those ambilight TVs

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭super_sweeney

Shlippery wrote: »
    CHealy wrote: »

Not using a lightstrip per se, but you need to install the Hue Sync software on your PC [it's very very good,] then run a HDMI cable from PC to as a source to the TV to get the proper sync, as far as i'm aware it won't sync up with Live TV unless you've one of those ambilight TVs
    Yeah thats what i was wondering as well as i use it on my pc in another room as well and its amazing. What I was wondering is there anything way to get it to work with say an andriod box? or could you sync it through the steam lync and just use the lights in the other room.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,867 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Is there a guide somewhere which outlines the different fixtures and fittings?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Is there a guide somewhere which outlines the different fixtures and fittings?

Probably the Hue site is your best bet

Meet Hue

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Probably the Hue site is your best bet

Meet Hue

the philips.ie site also has the most of the range here https://www.philips.ie/c-m-li/hue

Apart from the lights what other products do people recommend? Ie, dimmer, motion sensor, light strip, hue go etc.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Apart from the lights what other products do people recommend? Ie, dimmer, motion sensor, light strip, hue go etc.

All of them!!

I have about 8 dimmer switches, and 4 sensors, and they are all excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,967 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I don't really use my Dimmers but have all the others and a Bloom.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

If you start putting hue lights in different rooms, the dimmer switches are a must to allow control of the lights in that room without having to use a phone/tablet.

I was apprehensive of the motion sensors before i got them, i kinda thought it was just plain laziness, but now that i have them i think they are great. I use them in the hall, landing and the downstairs toilet. For me they suit those transient areas of the home.

The light strips are an expensive investment, i have two, more of a nice to have. I would invest in more widespread colour lights before going for a light strip.

They are rolling out more products these days indoor and outdoor, but i think i have my fill at this point.....unless someone posts something on the bargain alerts thread, then i'm all over it.

It is worth keeping an eye out on the bargain alert thread, items are often reduced without notice, you might pick up something at a good price.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭NoeldeBournaix

Some new Philips Hue products available for pre-order (Release date 18th October)

Philips hue play colour wall entertainment lights. Can be attached to the back of the TV, or self standing. GBP 120 the pair.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Colour-Entertainment-Light-Double/dp/B07FYDGD7R/ref=sr_1_4?s=lighting&ie=UTF8&qid=1535567905&sr=1-4&keywords=philips+hue+play

Look good.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Some new Philips Hue products available for pre-order (Release date 18th October)

Poor Andy and his credit card..... :P

bk wrote: »
    Poor Andy and his credit card..... :P

Nah, I'm done!! I'm all Hue'd out!!

I have a new 'hobby' to dump all my money into!!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Nah, I'm done!! I'm all Hue'd out!!

I have a new 'hobby' to dump all my money into!!

Yikes! I'm sure you could put some Hue lights on the boat :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭OU812

Eve systems announce lightstrip, power strip & wall switches HomeKit compatible

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/08/30/eve-announces-new-light-strip-power-strip/

Curious to know what people use to operate there lamps, say for instance during the evening you go into the bedroom sporadically, what do you use to switch the light on?

I have routines setup for living room etc but it’s the adhoc times that you walk into a room I’m wondering about?

Also quick question re the motion sensor, I assume this can be set so that it does not activate the light during daytime?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 27,967 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Curious to know what people use to operate there lamps, say for instance during the evening you go into the bedroom sporadically, what do you use to switch the light on?

I have routines setup for living room etc but it’s the adhoc times that you walk into a room I’m wondering about?

Also quick question re the motion sensor, I assume this can be set so that it does not activate the light during daytime?

Cheers

Motion sensor in the kitchen and bathroom. Alexa in the sitting room and bedroom.

Motion sensors in the 2 bathrooms, kitchen & my office,

Everywhere else is on timers, but for ad hoc control there is also dimmer switches in most rooms.

You can set the light level at what point the motion sensor starts working

I just use the dimmer switches for the bedrooms. So pretty much same as a light switch.

Motion Sensors for hall, bathrooms and study/utility room. Sunset timer for living room.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Lads I bought the starter kit but it arrived with a two prong plug.... Is that normal?

From memory the hue comes with 3 adapters, and you slide on the correct one needed for region?

Davy wrote: »
    From memory the hue comes with 3 adapters, and you slide on the correct one needed for region?

Cheers yeah just spotted it ☺️

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

What's the best app apart from the Philips hue app?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

What's the best app apart from the Philips hue app?

iConnectHue for iPhone/iPad

Advertisement