Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue FAQ

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

tech wrote: »
    Hi can you set how long a bulb stay s on with sensors? And what colour it is?

Yes, the sensor lets you choose what lights (or preset scenes in a particular room) come on during daytime, and nighttime, and how long they'll stay on for before turning off again.
    Also as the bulbs are green and purple, do they still work as warm whites?

Yes, the colour bulbs are the highest spec Hue bulbs, they do all colours as well as all whites (warm (regular) white, and colder blue/fluorescent like white light)

If you only want standard type white only bulbs, but the cheapest white only bulbs, they are a warm white. about £12 each
    If you want all whites, get the White Ambiance bulbs which do warm/cold whites but not colour. about £15-£20 each
    If you want the full circus, get the colour bulbs which do everything. about £35-£50 each depending on sales and 3 for 2 etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 27,923 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Yes, the sensor lets you choose what lights (or preset scenes in a particular room) come on during daytime, and nighttime, and how long they'll stay on for before turning off again.

Yes, the colour bulbs are the highest spec Hue bulbs, they do all colours as well as all whites (warm (regular) white, and colder blue/fluorescent like white light)

If you only want standard type white only bulbs, but the cheapest white only bulbs, they are a warm white. about £12 each
    If you want all whites, get the White Ambiance bulbs which do warm/cold whites but not colour. about £15-£20 each
    If you want the full circus, get the colour bulbs which do everything. about £35-£50 each depending on sales and 3 for 2 etc..

The plain white ones were reduced to £8.40 last week. I meant to pick some up but forgot to go back and buy them.

The prices are always going up and down.

Twin packs are the best value, bonus if they're included in the 3 for 2 deals.

Also, they've finally released the white only Spots, so now the GU10 spot rage is the full rage of bulb types.
    White & Colour Ambiance, White Ambiance & White Only.

More budget options to get more people on board!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭tech

where is the best value for a start pack

Any one got the best plave buy buy cheap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Any one got the best plave buy buy cheap

Keep eye on Amazon and sometimes the German, French sites on it do deals also.

You can use the likes of Ikea wifi types also as will connect with the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,795 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Having trouble connecting a dimmer switch to the app. I've stuck it on the wall so cannot hit the reset button. Any ideas?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Having trouble connecting a dimmer switch to the app. I've stuck it on the wall so cannot hit the reset button. Any ideas?

You should still be able to use reset button on the back...

The switch can be easily separated from the wall mount ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Ted Plain

Does anyone know if there are Hue bulbs with clear lenses? The reason is for using them with those perforated lampshades (i.e., IKEA Nymo) which throw lovely patterns onto the wall.

Thanks!

Ted Plain wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there are Hue bulbs with clear lenses? The reason is for using them with those perforated lampshades (i.e., IKEA Nymo) which throw lovely patterns onto the wall.

Thanks!

No, they all have the white/smoked glass/plastic lenses.

Being LED's, and multiple different colour LED's, they need to be diffused, so clear glass wouldn't work so well for Hue

Having said that, I've a Hue Lux bulb (original white only, same shape as the colour bulbs) that the glass lens broke on the day it came out of the box, so I removed all the broken glass out of it (took ages), and have it in an outside lamp in my laneway, and it works fine.

• Advertisement

Can you controller other bulbs using the hue bridge
    No, they all have the white/smoked glass/plastic lenses.

Being LED's, and multiple different colour LED's, they need to be diffused, so clear glass wouldn't work so well for Hue

Having said that, I've a Hue Lux bulb (original white only, same shape as the colour bulbs) that the glass lens broke on the day it came out of the box, so I removed all the broken glass out of it (took ages), and have it in an outside lamp in my laneway, and it works fine.

Can you controller other bulbs using the hue bridge

I believe you can control the Ikea bulbs with a Hue Bridge, although I have no experience of this as I only have Hue bulbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Indeed you can - I have 4 ikea gu10s, and 3 regular bulbs - all work well and cheaper than Hues. One of them is a white spectrum and works grand. Haven't tried the coloured one - they're only sold with a dimmer switch.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I had two Ikea €7 GU10's working with the Hue hub, but I wasn't happy with them and ended up replacing them with Hue bulbs which have since been perfect.

The issue with the Ikea ones was that I had them in the hall, activated by a Hue motion sensor. But about once or twice a week they would fail to turn on and I'd have to reset them by flicking off/on the light switch.

The Hue replacements have worked flawlessly since replacing them.

Also the brightness levels sucked. They neither went low enough of high enough. I think the Hue bulbs are at least a good 25% brighter, but also if you set a Hue one to 2% brightness, you can barely see, great for a night light, while the Ikea ones seemed to be far too bright and only reduce about 50% at 2%.

I think it is definitely a case of getting what you are paying for. Having said that those were the cheapest €7 Ikea bulbs, they have more expensive ones, which might work better, but then you aren't too much off the Hue bulbs price anyway then, specially in sales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Ted Plain

Thanks for the info, guys!

IKEA have a smart bulb with a clear lens:

https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/products/lighting/smart-lighting/tr%C3%A5dfri-led-bulb-e27-950-lumen-wireless-dimmable-white-spectrum-clear-art-00318268/

It's white light only, though, so that kind of defeats the purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭super_sweeney

any one got any idea when the new switches will be launched. I saw the announcement but i cant see any for sale yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭KilOit

Whats the difference between this one
    https://www.amazon.de/dp/B0748MY3RX/ref=pe_3044161_185740101_TE_item

and this one
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Ambience-Starter-Compatible-Assistant/dp/B0748MY3RX

Same model number but product descriptions is different as one has 25000 hours compared to 15000 hours lifespan

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭NoeldeBournaix

any one got any idea when the new switches will be launched. I saw the announcement but i cant see any for sale yet.

Apparently some of the switches will be available in October with the rest following over the next few months.

https://twitter.com/tweethue/status/1035474806446141441

• Registered Users Posts: 17,795 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Anyone install the motion sensor on the stairs and landing? Thinking of doing this but not sure where would be the best spot. Ideally I'd want them to come on when someone is going upstairs but also when people are using the landing only.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 22 chrisoleary89

Quick question,I have 31 GU10 phillips hue bulbs in my house, I am still waiting for broadband to be connected up but I was just wondering, and what brightness are the bulbs set at out of the box? 100%/50%?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Quick question,I have 31 GU10 phillips hue bulbs in my house, I am still waiting for broadband to be connected up but I was just wondering, and what brightness are the bulbs set at out of the box? 100%/50%?

100%

You don't need the bridge for them to work they work as ordinary lamps also on/off.

You can use away until you get your WiFi enabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 chrisoleary89

100%

You don't need the bridge for them to work they work as ordinary lamps also on/off.

You can use away until you get your WiFi enabled.

Oh yeah I know that and I have been using them, I was just wondering if they come set at 100% or lower out of the box. Thanks for the reply

Oh yeah I know that and I have been using them, I was just wondering if they come set at 100% or lower out of the box. Thanks for the reply
    when hue bulbs are used as default (dumb) bulbs only, they'll come on at 100% in a standard warm white state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Anyone install the motion sensor on the stairs and landing? Thinking of doing this but not sure where would be the best spot. Ideally I'd want them to come on when someone is going upstairs but also when people are using the landing only.

I have one on the landing facing straight down which catches anyone on the second step of the stairs and also triggers when anyone steps out of a room into the landing but my landing and winder stairs is easy to cover with one. You can add a second working in tandem of you need to

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭super_sweeney

I have one on the landing facing straight down which catches anyone on the second step of the stairs and also triggers when anyone steps out of a room into the landing but my landing and winder stairs is easy to cover with one. You can add a second working in tandem of you need to

I have them in the my downstairs hall and then upstairs as well. the layout of my house i was able to get away with just having them in the hall as I dont have any lights on the stairs them selves. Works well for me. i have 2 sensors downstairs and 2 upstairs.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Anyone had a Hue bridge (2.0) refuse to pair to HomeKit?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Anyone know of any way to trigger some smart plugs with a Hue dimmer switch and/or motion sensor?

In my living room I have a couple of Hues and a couple of non-hue lamps on smart plugs, would like to be able to get the smart plug ones to come on when I turn the hues on with the dimmer switch.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

keane2097 wrote: »
    Anyone know of any way to trigger some smart plugs with a Hue dimmer switch and/or motion sensor?

In my living room I have a couple of Hues and a couple of non-hue lamps on smart plugs, would like to be able to get the smart plug ones to come on when I turn the hues on with the dimmer switch.

If you pull them all into HomeKit you could do it with a scene.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,575 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I have one in the hall covering the bottom half of the stairs and the front door, and a landing one covers entering the landing from each bedroom/bathroom and catches you when you are halfway up the stairs.

They are set to come on fully when it’s dark enough and between 7-11, and come on dimmed from 11-7. Work pretty well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Rew wrote: »
    If you pull them all into HomeKit you could do it with a scene.

Thanks for the info.

I wonder if there is a way to do similar with Google Home. I'm loathe to pull in another ecosystem if I can avoid it.

I guess it would be easy enough to do this using Home Assistant or similar - presumably the button press on the switch would be detected by Hass and could be used as a trigger for other devices.

Advertisement