Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Uriel. wrote: »
    I know they've only hit the shelves in recent weeks but had anyone picked up any of the hue outdoor range. Thinking of investing in a wall light and the spot lights for the garden.

I got the spot starter kit, Looks decent so far but Ive only really used them late in the evening to play with.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

I got the spot starter kit, Looks decent so far but Ive only really used them late in the evening to play with.

Did they come with much of a cable run?

Did they come with much of a cable run?

5m metre cables. so from the plug socket to the third light is about 15m.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I got the Lily starter kit and 2 extensions,

They are excellent.

Thanks folks. Looks amazing. Think I'll take the plunge.

Just wondering though. The starter kit is 50euro more expensive than buying three extensions. What else is in the starter kit? Is it just the hub? I have a hub already for the rest of my kit (and a spare one) so no point in paying an extra 50 if it's not needed

• Advertisement

Thanks folks. Looks amazing. Think I'll take the plunge.

Just wondering though. The starter kit is 50euro more expensive than buying three extensions. What else is in the starter kit? Is it just the hub? I have a hub already for the rest of my kit (and a spare one) so no point in paying an extra 50 if it's not needed

You need the power supply from the starter kit. 3 extensions will not work

You need the power supply from the starter kit. 3 extensions will not work

That solves that :) thanks.

The individual spots are low voltage (12v), so the starter kit comes with the transformer needed to power them.

You can only add 2 extension spots the the 3 that come with the starter kit, giving 5 in total for each power supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

In case anyone is interested, amazon have sent me the 3 sensors and refunded me for 1 sensor, it seems their 3 for 2 offer isn't working properly, so I get 3 sensors for 52 pound

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭RonTon

For outside lighting I got a pack of these
    Long Life Lamp Company GU10 Outdoor Garden Spike Light - Matt Black, Pack of 4 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008WAE128/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_dq1rBb84382TG

put the hue gu10 into them(not the coloured ones,not sure they would fit) , no transformer ,runs on 220-240 ..
    Will set them up next week, worked out a good bit cheaper than the Philips ones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭jones

With Prime week next week is it worth going on 3 for 2 with amazon right now?

RonTon wrote: »
    For outside lighting I got a pack of these
    Long Life Lamp Company GU10 Outdoor Garden Spike Light - Matt Black, Pack of 4 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008WAE128/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_dq1rBb84382TG

put the hue gu10 into them(not the coloured ones,not sure they would fit) , no transformer ,runs on 220-240 ..
    Will set them up next week, worked out a good bit cheaper than the Philips ones

Yeah I'd been thinking of doing something similar but I'd like the colour GU10s.
    Would be great to hear your feedback when you have them set up and particularly as to whether a colour GU10 would fit.

Yeah I'd been thinking of doing something similar but I'd like the colour GU10s.
    Would be great to hear your feedback when you have them set up and particularly as to whether a colour GU10 would fit.

I’ll post a few pics when done ...
    I have lots of hue bulbs all around the house ,but no coloured gu10 ,sry...
    I did see on amazon similar spike fittings for outside with a deep fitting.

Auraglow Deep Recessed GU10 Holder Garden Spike Light Ground or Wall Mount Lamp, IP54 Outdoor Uplighter https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01BHSZO9A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_2k3rBbBK5H5G3

The fittings were more expensive and I didn’t have any gu10 colour so went for the normal one...
    On a side note I got the 3 for 2 on the bulbs last month and another few days ago ,this time I had to email cust service to get credit ,but not sure I got right amount ,looks like I will get credit ex vat so just sent them a mail to check am I right or wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Hi folks, have recently gotten an Amazon echo so the next step is hue'ing the house up :pac:
    I take it the starter kit is the best option to get started?? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Equivalent-Starter-Compatible-Assistant/dp/B0152WXI18/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1531409247&sr=8-4&keywords=philips+hue
    If I have bayonet cap bulbs at home I take it I can buy adapters to fit the above bulbs in??
    Going forward and buying bulbs, is there anything I should watch out for so I dont buy the incorrect ones??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

I’ll post a few pics when done ...
    I have lots of hue bulbs all around the house  ,but no coloured gu10 ,sry...
    I did see on amazon similar spike fittings for outside with  a deep fitting.

Auraglow Deep Recessed GU10 Holder Garden Spike Light Ground or Wall Mount Lamp, IP54 Outdoor Uplighter https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01BHSZO9A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_2k3rBbBK5H5G3

The fittings were more expensive and I didn’t have any gu10 colour so went for the normal one...
    On a side note I got the 3 for 2 on the bulbs last month and another few days ago ,this time I had to email cust service to get credit ,but not sure I got right amount ,looks like I will get credit ex vat so just sent them a mail to check am I right or wrong
    They should work with the colour GU10's
    "IIncludes Ground Spike & 1.00mm 3 core 1 meter rubber outdoor flex cable - Suitable for GU10 Lamps Between 30 > 75mm in length"
    73mm required buy the GU10 colour apparently:
    [font=Amazon Ember, Arial, sans-serif]https://huehomelighting.com/philips-hue-gu10-spotlight-guide-dimensions/[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

For anyone that's interested - I purchased two of these injection moulded wall plates for my upstairs/downstairs 2 way lights. Will post pictures when they arrive.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samotech-SM200-Switch-Philips-Dimmer/dp/B07D5KJ4B6/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
    Unable to automate these using broadlink smart switches at the moment so i'm going to see how these look.
    As an aside I have some 3d printed wall plates available on adverts.ie :) for anyone that's interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭NoeldeBournaix

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Hi folks, have recently gotten an Amazon echo so the next step is hue'ing the house up :pac:
    I take it the starter kit is the best option to get started?? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Equivalent-Starter-Compatible-Assistant/dp/B0152WXI18/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1531409247&sr=8-4&keywords=philips+hue
    If I have bayonet cap bulbs at home I take it I can buy adapters to fit the above bulbs in??
    Going forward and buying bulbs, is there anything I should watch out for so I dont buy the incorrect ones??

If you can, hold out and get the b22 white and colour ambience or white ambience bulbs. I started with the b27 white bulbs with adapters but ended up replacing them all in the end.

Some great deals on amazon.co.uk at the moment.

Buying the hub and bulbs separately might be a good option right now especially with the current 3for2 offer.

I got a lightstrip set up with a motions sensor today, but using he official app, motion only triggers a whitish light, is it oisosble to get it to trigger a specific colour, the app seems to only allow me to pick bright, dimmed, night light or a few different scenes... But say I want purple or pink lighting to come on, is it possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,426 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I got a lightstrip set up with a motions sensor today, but using he official app, motion only triggers a whitish light, is it oisosble to get it to trigger a specific colour, the app seems to only allow me to pick bright, dimmed, night light or a few different scenes... But say I want purple or pink lighting to come on, is it possible?

yeah you can create a new scene for that light...and then within the triggers you get the option to select it.

Blazer wrote: »
    yeah you can create a new scene for that light...and then within the triggers you get the option to select it.

Perfect thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

If you can, hold out and get the b22 white and colour ambience or white ambience bulbs. I started with the b27 white bulbs with adapters but ended up replacing them all in the end.

Some great deals on amazon.co.uk at the moment.

Buying the hub and bulbs separately might be a good option right now especially with the current 3for2 offer.
    Thanks for the information mate, I assume by B27 you mean E27??
    Why did you move everything to b22 over e27 if you don't mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

I think they are cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭NoeldeBournaix

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Thanks for the information mate, I assume by B27 you mean E27??
    Why did you move everything to b22 over e27 if you don't mind me asking?

Yes e27 sorry. I have b22 fittings in the house, but bought a white e27 bulb starter kit and some adapters to begin with as they were cheaper.

Over time I ended up replacing these with the b22 white and colour/ white ambience bulbs.

What I was trying to say is I would recommend holding out for the white and colour/ white ambience bulbs, as you will probably end up getting them eventually anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭jones

Anyone have any issues syncing hue lights with Google home? My home is refusing to do it for some reason I just added 6 lights all up to date etc

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

jones wrote: »
    Anyone have any issues syncing hue lights with Google home? My home is refusing to do it for some reason I just added 6 lights all up to date etc

Try unlinking hue in google home and linking again, the 'refresh' picks up any lights that were added.

Got lights setup this evening, looks great (not sure how to post photos here).
    An option for a coloured scene would be great alright but maybe another time...

Was worried they were too far from hub (100ft for furthest away bulb) to link up but no problem ,I’ve a hue bulb outside over front door and I think the bulbs link with each other ...
    V happy with results

Coloured gu10 would not fit in the fitting I have

• Registered Users Posts: 17,426 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Was worried they were too far from hub (100ft for furthest away bulb) to link up but no problem ,I’ve a hue bulb outside over front door and I think the bulbs link with each other ...
    V happy with results

Coloured gu10 would not fit in the fitting I have

each bulb links to each other to form a mesh network so all you need for your new bulb is to be close enough to another one already part of it.

Here’s Philips own diagram for how their outdoor lights link up and distances required

Has anyone used the hue sensor outside? Would it survive if it was covered from rain?

• Advertisement

Has anyone used the hue sensor outside? Would it survive if it was covered from rain?

I don't see why it wouldn't survive, I'd say if it was kept dry it'd have no issues surviving outside in Ireland

Advertisement