Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue FAQ

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

I wonder if anyone can help, I have a sensor on the landing, when there's movement at night it switches on the light in the hall for 5 min. My issue is if during the day I manually switch on the light in the hall, it switches off after 5 movement if there's no movement upstairs, any idea how to setup the Hue app so during the day when I switch on the light in the hall it will stay on until I manually switch if off.

Below is how I have it now.

463386.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

nava wrote: »
    I wonder if anyone can help, I have a sensor on the landing, when there's movement at night it switches on the light in the hall for 5 min. My issue is if during the day I manually switch on the light in the hall, it switches off after 5 movement if there's no movement upstairs, any idea how to setup the Hue app so during the day when I switch on the light in the hall it will stay on until I manually switch if off.

463386.jpg

You need to use one of the more powerful apps like all 4 hue on Android to configure custom stuff like this

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

nava wrote: »

463386.jpg

In Hue Labs (in the main Hue app) there is a setting to allow the lights being controlled by the sensor to return to their previous state (on/off/whatever) after the period of no motion.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭A320

Finally got myself the starter pack E27,only have one lamp in living room setup that comes on via hive actions along with hive plug in hall, my question is where is best place to buy an E14 Male/E27 female adaptor??

A320 wrote: »
    Finally got myself the starter pack E27,only have one lamp in living room setup that comes on via hive actions along with hive plug in hall, my question is where is best place to buy an E14 Male/E27 female adaptor??

eBay or Amazon, and you shouldn't expect to pay more than €1-2 for them.

if you need them sooner, and are close, I believe Ikea have them (and their probably even cheaper there)

• Advertisement

A320 wrote: »

eBay or Amazon, and you shouldn't expect to pay more than €1-2 for them.

if you need them sooner, and are close, I believe Ikea have them (and their probably even cheaper there)

Perfect thanks,I'm heading towards IKEA anyway over the next day or 2 so I'll try there first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭tech

can you use the Ikea Smart bulbs with the Hue? I need 1 x e27
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭nialldinho

tech wrote: »
    can you use the Ikea Smart bulbs with the Hue? I need 1 x e27
    thanks

Yep. They should work out of the box without the need for the ikea hub thing.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/post/105908181

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Still have the odd issue with the porch sensor and light. That is, if the the switch on the wall, is turned on cold, as it were. The hall and landing don't have the issue, so. Anyway. Porch light switch on via the wall (I'm not the one doing this, btw) and sometimes it stays on for longer than it should, for example last night. Sensor settings. Day 8:30am-1:45am, porch on - bright. Night 1:45am - 8:30am, dimmed. After 1 minute - off. Daylight and motion sensitivity both on high. Porch isn't linked to any routines.

Edit - tonight. Switch on the call, light on...no sign of it going off. Went out just so it would know I had walked past the sensor. Switch off and on again, then it performed correctly and knocked off after 1 minute. Do you've to walk past the sensor after hitting the wall switch in order that the system knows it has to follow what you've set in the app?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,767 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Smart lights came on randomly at 3am this morning, scared the bejaysus out of the GF. Has this happened to anyone else? I think it might have been caused by a power outage?

Anyway to stop this?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Smart lights came on randomly at 3am this morning, scared the bejaysus out of the GF. Has this happened to anyone else? I think it might have been caused by a power outage?

Anyway to stop this?

No, hue lights will always turn on after a power outage

• Registered Users Posts: 17,767 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

No, hue lights will always turn on after a power outage

That's fairly annoying.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

That's fairly annoying.

There was suggestions Hue were working on an update that if lights were turned off in case of a power outage (or at the switch), that when powered back up, they would return to the last state before losing power.

Does a software update cause the same issue? turn on all lights.

Does a software update cause the same issue? turn on all lights.

No, it just might make some of the bulbs unresponsive during the updating process

Right I went to Ikea,they had B22 to E27 adaptors so that sorted me...i bought 2 tradfri E14 lamps for bedside lamps,eventually got hue to recognise them and working fine with Google home voice control...they don't seem to show up on Google home as devices though under the Hue,any ideas

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭eusap

I bought the Samotech® SM200 Light Switch Cover for Philips Hue Dimmer - Adapter - Converter from Amazon, it seems good quality and lines up well to existing switch.

I am planning to install in guest rooms as they don't have hue app etc... it does cover old switch but you can still access switch by popping off Philips cover

• Registered Users Posts: 27,904 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

eusap wrote: »
    I bought the Samotech® SM200 Light Switch Cover for Philips Hue Dimmer - Adapter - Converter from Amazon, it seems good quality and lines up well to existing switch.

I am planning to install in guest rooms as they don't have hue app etc... it does cover old switch but you can still access switch by popping off Philips cover

That looks really good. Do you have a link to them because they are not showing up when I search.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭eusap

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭henke

Probably been answered before so apologies. I bought a twin pack of the candle hue lights on Amazon back in May and one has failed. Both are in sync and nowhere near the 2500 hours. Has anyone had issues with them failing so soon and can anything be done?

henke wrote: »
    Probably been answered before so apologies. I bought a twin pack of the candle hue lights on Amazon back in May and one has failed. Both are in sync and nowhere near the 2500 hours. Has anyone had issues with them failing so soon and can anything be done?

Get onto Philips via their facebook page and let them know about your issue!!

I have Hue lights going back to 2013 and they are still working fine (in daily use)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

henke wrote: »

Is there only a 2500 hour warranty with the Hue bulbs?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,904 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Soarer wrote: »

Thought it was 12k or something like that?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

They are rated for an average life of 25,000 hours, not 2,500 hours. Big difference there.

That isn't a warranty though, just a spec, having said that I'd be surprised if Philips didn't replace a bulb that went after a short time.

Probably a type by @henke.

Panic averted. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭henke

Sorry yes. 25,000 I think I meant. Anyway I contacted them on Facebook as advised and explained the issue and they indicated it sounds like a faulty bulb so need to sent details later eg receipt, contact details and photo and they said they would organise an engineer to look at it and then replace. So hopefully will. I am wondering though? Is this uncommon or any reason that it could have caused this. I have two candle bulbs in two beside lamps either side of bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

Does anyone know where to purchase a living colour remote as pictured here (just the remote) as i've lost mine and cant really use it without it.

https://huetips.com/tutorials/hue-with-living-colors-remote/

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

davo2001 wrote: »
    Does anyone know where to purchase a living colour remote as pictured here (just the remote) as i've lost mine and cant really use it without it.

https://huetips.com/tutorials/hue-with-living-colors-remote/

I picked up two extras ones from ebay a few years ago. I don't know if they still have them.

Still learning....

So the new Amazon Echo Plus has Zigbee, as does Hue.
    Does that mean I wouldn't need a Hue bridge/starter kit? I could just buy a bulb, and the Echo will recognise it?

Still learning....

So the new Amazon Echo Plus has Zigbee, as does Hue.
    Does that mean I wouldn't need a Hue bridge/starter kit? I could just buy a bulb, and the Echo will recognise it?

I believe you'll need a Hue Bridge for Hue lights regardless of what other smart tech you have.

• Advertisement

I believe you'll need a Hue Bridge for Hue lights regardless of what other smart tech you have.

Cheers Andy.

So what's the whole Zigbee thing?

Actually, don't answer that 'cause we'll go too far OT. I'll start a new thread!

Advertisement