Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue FAQ

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Blazer wrote: »
    Picked up a sensor in B&Q for my young fella's room and its set to come on blue during the night and at 7am its green to indicate the colour zones he should be in.
    Since the first night he's be sleeping in till nearly 8am every morning and we've all been getting a great nights sleep since we did it..well worth the money.

I don't know if you are connected to any Autism support groups, or know other parents with Autistic children, but you should definitely be recommending them the Hue system, and set up you're using.
    I'm thinking next of a lightstrip for behind the tv and I should be nearly done then apart from maybe a few more sensors and white bulbs.
    Then again :D

I have a Bloom behind the TV in the living room, and also behind the TV in our bedroom, and its perfect for behind a TV, I think a strip there would be too bright, with too much light out at the edges.

A Bloom is also a much neater prospect in behind a TV

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=101461538&postcount=193

• Registered Users Posts: 17,427 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I don't know if you are connected to any Autism support groups, or know other parents with Autistic children, but you should definitely be recommending them the Hue system, and set up you're using.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=101461538&postcount=193

I put up a post in the autism forum and linked it back to here.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

I'm having some issues with my Hue app and Home App on IOS 11.4, it started since I updated IOS, the Home app show all as Not Responding. If I check the HUE app "Homekit & Siri" show as if it's not configure, if I restart the Bridge it might work ok for a few minutes or hours but after goes back to the same issues or sometimes after restart it might not work at all, I have couple of other apps on the phone all still working, the issue is only with the Home app.

Anyone else having the same issue or any ideas on how to fix it? Others in the house that didn't update the IOS everything is working for them, so I wonder if an issue with that IOS

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

Has anyone else tried this formula?

I'm not quite able to configure it as i want. I recently added a 2nd sensor in my hallway. Previous to this i had just the one sensor and the 'three times is a charm' formula set-up. This enabled me to configure the hallway lights to not come on during certain times (i.e. 7am - 9.30pm). This worked great. This formula only worked with one sensor unfortunately.

Now with two sensors in the hallway, I can't seem to configure the sensor couple formula to not turn on any lights during 'daytime'. The day scene is 'Recall last state' which turns the lights on during the day when motion is detected, just to add, sometimes the lights don't come on during the day when motion is detected. There is no option to 'do nothing'.

I don't know if it is a buggy formula, or I've not set it up right.

Has anyone else tried it and would you have any advice what to do if you have.

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

just to add, sometimes the lights don't come on during the day when motion is detected. There is no option to 'do nothing'.

I don't know if it is a buggy formula, or I've not set it up right.

Has anyone else tried it and would you have any advice what to do if you have.

TIA

I use it in kitchen/livingroom which is open plan. works pretty well.

Can you change the daylight sensitivity, so it wont trigger as early in the day, and just ensure that the sensor you select to measure the daylight is in brightest part of the hall?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Feeder

Just got 2 X Inner E14 bulbs from Amazon. They say they are compatible with Philips Hue but I can't manage to find them on the Hue app on Android.

Anyone else have issues with these or suggest another way to pair or find them? I turn on Hue app, go to settings then add new light. Turn on the inner light, it blinks twice to show it's findable then nothing on the app ????

I've tried so far to locate the lights beside the hub as saw that less than 5m distance is recommended to find them and also to find them on the Alexa app but again no joy.

I have 11 hue bulbs on my hub so I'm not overloaded on the hub as I think it can go to 50. The Hue app recently updated so I wonder did that affect the finding of the inner bulbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,552 ✭✭✭micks_address

Hi folks,
    Anyone have the wellness or wellner table lamps and have an opinion on them as a replacement for a standing lamp in a living room?

I use it in kitchen/livingroom which is open plan. works pretty well.

Can you change the daylight sensitivity, so it wont trigger as early in the day, and just ensure that the sensor you select to measure the daylight is in brightest part of the hall?

Thanks. I'll have a play with the settings tonight, one sensor is nearer the front door but not facing towards the front door which would be most aware of the natural brightness in the hallway.

Thanks. I'll have a play with the settings tonight, one sensor is nearer the front door but not facing towards the front door which would be most aware of the natural brightness in the hallway.

Are you using a Hue Labs Formula? or just the regular Sensor settings?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

nava wrote: »
    I'm having some issues with my Hue app and Home App on IOS 11.4, it started since I updated IOS, the Home app show all as Not Responding. If I check the HUE app "Homekit & Siri" show as if it's not configure, if I restart the Bridge it might work ok for a few minutes or hours but after goes back to the same issues or sometimes after restart it might not work at all, I have couple of other apps on the phone all still working, the issue is only with the Home app.

Anyone else having the same issue or any ideas on how to fix it? Others in the house that didn't update the IOS everything is working for them, so I wonder if an issue with that IOS

I find the home app terrible, i wish they would sort it out because id rather use that then the hue one as i have elgato eve plugs etc and its handy to have them all in one app. I constantly get not responding lights\plugs etc. I found that if i have them all on the main screen as "favorites" this happens more.

• Advertisement

Regarding Home app etc..

I think I only used it once, just set it up to have a look, and haven't gone back to it since.

My only Smart tech is Hue & Nest Thermostat (I have smart plugs but I only use them at Christmas).

For Hue, the entire house is automated with routines & sensors. I might have to open the app once a week to turn a light on/off out of step, but thats about it. Outside of that I have dimmer switches everywhere to also control lights when needed (but again very rarely though as all my routines work quite well).

One of the main reasons for going all Hue (apart from it being f***ing awesome), was so it would literally automate my home lighting, meaning I didn't have to hit any switches, set stupid old fashioned timers, open any apps, or ask Siri to do stuff for me!

I'm already a slave to my iPhone, so the last thing I want or need is more reason to be looking at/playing with the bloody thing!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

My whole house is Hue lights now, with motion sensors everywhere except bedrooms, but i use elgato eve plugs, ive 5 of them so having everything in the home app would be great. But it seems to have a limit on the number of devices on the home app home screen, not sure the exact number but i tested it before and if i had more than say 20, all of sudden they would all go "not responding" until i scrolled through each of the rooms then they would all be fine again. this happened everytime i opened the app.

I spent ages removing home\re adding etc but it just happens again.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,427 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Regarding Home app etc..

I think I only used it once, just set it up to have a look, and haven't gone back to it since.

My only Smart tech is Hue & Nest Thermostat (I have smart plugs but I only use them at Christmas).

For Hue, the entire house is automated with routines & sensors. I might have to open the app once a week to turn a light on/off out of step, but thats about it. Outside of that I have dimmer switches everywhere to also control lights when needed (but again very rarely though as all my routines work quite well).

One of the main reasons for going all Hue (apart from it being f***ing awesome), was so it would literally automate my home lighting, meaning I didn't have to hit any switches, set stupid old fashioned timers, open any apps, or ask Siri to do stuff for me!

I'm already a slave to my iPhone, so the last thing I want or need is more reason to be looking at/playing with the bloody thing!

Is it possible to share routines?
    Would be so much handier if I could import yours :)
    Obviously edited for lights etc

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

Is it possible to share routines?
    Would be so much handier if I could import yours :)
    Obviously edited for lights etc

That would be great, I've 2 sensors that I've turned off at the moment because I can't get the knack of how to get them to do what I needed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,797 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

That would be great, I've 2 sensors that I've turned off at the moment because I can't get the knack of how to get them to do what I needed

What do you want them to do?

Are you using a Hue Labs Formula? or just the regular Sensor settings?

The lab formula, I'll have another go at setting it up this evening and report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

I only realised the other day that f.lux can be set up to control Hue from your PC.

I only realised the other day that f.lux can be set up to control Hue from your PC.

There used to be a native Hue controller on PC/Mac via teh Hue website, but they dropped it a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

I replaced all the bulbs in the flat with hue bulbs (the boring plain white ones) about a year ago and love it, and have a bloom that tbh hasn't seen massive amounts of use. The lights in the living room are strip lights so can't be replaced with hues. However, I was considering investing in a hue strip to put behind the TV and try out the immersive/entertainment stuff they advertise. Do you think it's worthwhile? Most of my media comes from Netflix or the home server, so I'm not sure how well it would work or if it's worth the 70 quid for the strip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

I have a regular LED bar outdoor light above my front door and rear garden patio. As it's a new estate and street lighting yet to be activated we normally leave these switched on during the night.

I would like to replace these with something automated to go with my existing Hue setup and was looking to see if any of the new Hue outdoor range might fit the bill.

Any idea if this would be bright enough to illuminate the front and rear porches as well as part of the driveway with an e27 bulb:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Outdoor-Lantern-Aluminium-Anthracite/dp/B07BXY12YB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭super_sweeney

all,

I have two motion sensor approx 3 months old I have had to replace both batteries already! this seems insane espcially as I live alone so relatively low traffic...

anyone else any expierence ? Should i get longer out of the next batt?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

all,

I have two motion sensor approx 3 months old I have had to replace both batteries already! this seems insane espcially as I live alone so relatively low traffic...

anyone else any expierence ? Should i get longer out of the next batt?

Definitely, much longer, I've a few well over a year now, no battery change yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭jones

Yeah I've 3 sensors all over a year and no battery change as of yet

Does anyone know if amazon are actually doing the 3 for 2 at the moment, the below link says they are but when I add 3 to my basket, they're still full price

https://www.amazon.co.uk/b?ie=UTF8&node=14741050031

Does anyone know if amazon are actually doing the 3 for 2 at the moment, the below link says they are but when I add 3 to my basket, they're still full price

https://www.amazon.co.uk/b?ie=UTF8&node=14741050031

3 for 2 deal only shows up when you go to checkout, and won’t show if you’re still in your basket

Have done all that, I've bought from it on the past.. This time leaves it all as full price the whole way through

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭super_sweeney

Have done all that, I've bought from it on the past.. This time leaves it all as full price the whole way through

i saw this in the terms

rom 9th July 2018, when you place 3 items in your basket the cheapest item will be free

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭jones

Don't think the 3 for 2 is active tried it there and no discount on third item

Yes, bit nothing is coming out as free, I'm being charged for price for all 3 items.. I've been on to chat and they've got me to make an order for all 3 and then will refund me for the 3rd, so should end up with 3 sensors for 50 pound

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

I know they've only hit the shelves in recent weeks but had anyone picked up any of the hue outdoor range. Thinking of investing in a wall light and the spot lights for the garden.

Advertisement