Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,867 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

bk wrote: »
    iConnectHue for iPhone/iPad

Anything you'd recommend on android?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 27,967 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Registered Users Posts: 17,867 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Question on the lights, when the light is switched on at the wall but turned off through app/voice - is it still using electricity?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Question on the lights, when the light is switched on at the wall but turned off through app/voice - is it still using electricity?

A tiny amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭BobMc

any tips on motion sensor set up, read online but still having problems with kitchen/diner lights coming on when too bright outside, tried adjusting thru app and also placing on window sill for it to test light levels better but its still comes on when too bright outside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,428 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

BobMc wrote: »
    any tips on motion sensor set up, read online but still having problems with kitchen/diner lights coming on when too bright outside, tried adjusting thru app and also placing on window sill for it to test light levels better but its still comes on when too bright outside.

Is it set to high?
    I know the one I have in the kids room wouldn’t come on as his room is facing west until well after 9pm.
    Sounds like yours could be faulty. Have you another one you can try in there?

Guys I have 2 hue bridges for sale brand new v2.0

€30 each

Post them on Adverts. Don't think you can sell here.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

quick question, I'm moving into a new build which I want to kit out with Hue. Majority of the lights are bayonet, would it be worth my while getting these changed to edison as edison seems like a more popular standard.

there's also some spots (i assume they're GU10) is there a spec on the actual size of the hue ones I believe they are slightly bigger.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

quick question, I'm moving into a new build which I want to kit out with Hue. Majority of the lights are bayonet, would it be worth my while getting these changed to edison as edison seems like a more popular standard.

there's also some spots (i assume they're GU10) is there a spec on the actual size of the hue ones I believe they are slightly bigger.

6 of 1, half a dozen of the other regarding Bayonet/Edison Screw,

My prefywould be Edison though,

As regards the size, of the GU10’s, I’m sure I’ve posted in this and the other thread on it before, but the white Ambiance ones are standard size, the coloured ones are about 10-12mm bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I think it would. It's much harder to source the bayonet bulbs or else you end up with the ugly adapters. Also, if you want to get mix the ikea bulbs with the hue hub they are only available in edison

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Perfect, thanks for the super quick replies. It'll be the colour bulbs I'll be going for so good to know the extra size.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭NoeldeBournaix

This post by Andy will help you pick out the correct GU10 fitting.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107009114&postcount=1147

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

Hue lightstrip plus 2m on Amazon is £60 GPB currently. Is this a good price or they tend to drop a good bit more?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,778 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Veloce wrote: »
    Hue lightstrip plus 2m on Amazon is £60 GPB currently. Is this a good price or they tend to drop a good bit more?

https://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/search?sq=Hue+lightstrip+plus+2m

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

Veloce wrote: »

It's a little cheaper than usual.

The same strip plus 1m extension was down to £50 in a lightning deal not so long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭tech

looking to get into the HUE setup,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Ambience-Wireless-Lighting-Bayonet/dp/B074H3HYRM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1536788933&sr=8-4&keywords=philips+hue+starter+kit

Just wondering is this the best to start with, this has the Hue hub 2.0 and the richer bulbs, which are the latest bulbs? which are warm white and also any colour?

Thanks

tech wrote: »
    looking to get into the HUE setup,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Ambience-Wireless-Lighting-Bayonet/dp/B074H3HYRM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1536788933&sr=8-4&keywords=philips+hue+starter+kit

Just wondering is this the best to start with, this has the Hue hub 2.0 and the richer bulbs, which are the latest bulbs? which are warm white and also any colour?

Thanks

This is the ideal starter kit to get, the bulbs are the latest gen Colour Ambiance, so they’ll do all colours as well as all the whites (warm to cold white).

Having a dimmer switch included in these starter kits is a great idea too as it’ll introduce you to the accessories that work with the bulbs.

is the Hue Bridge II the latest bridge also? I dont want to buy old kit!! I think there is a new Bridge on the way out?

is the Hue Bridge II the latest bridge also? I dont want to buy old kit!! I think there is a new Bridge on the way out?

Yes, the gen 2 bridge is the latest version.

The only difference between gen 1 & gen 2 bridge is the gen 2 bridge is Apple HomeKit compatible.

• Advertisement

ok cool, is there a Bridge III on the way soon? should I hold off?

what kit are you using? have you many bulbs? 1 hub will all I need?

I’m not aware of a gen 3 bridge on the way!

They recently rolled out a huge update across the system (bridge, bulbs, accessories), which should see the need for no hardware upgrades needed anytime soon.

I’ve currently 49 bulbs in active use (the entire house is 100% Hue now, including the back garden), 4 sensors & 9 dimmer switches. All running off a gen 2 bridge.

I’ve also about 6-7 ‘spare’ bulbs which are not in use (blooms, lightstrip, and some colour & white Ambiance bulbs), but they get brought out at Christmas & Halloween and work fine when added to the setup.

ok perfect, thanks thats alot of bulbs :o:o
    If i was to buy kit in the US this will work away, except they dont seem to have b22 bulbs :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭irelandrover

ok perfect, thanks thats alot of bulbs :o:o
    If i was to buy kit in the US this will work away, except they dont seem to have b22 bulbs :(

Bulbs from the US won't work. THey are a different size and voltage.

thats what I was thinking, the dimmer and sensors would work? and bridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭RonTon

I’m not aware of a gen 3 bridge on the way!

They recently rolled out a huge update across the system (bridge, bulbs, accessories), which should see the need for no hardware upgrades needed anytime soon.

I’ve currently 49 bulbs in active use (the entire house is 100% Hue now, including the back garden), 4 sensors & 9 dimmer switches. All running off a gen 2 bridge.

I’ve also about 6-7 ‘spare’ bulbs which are not in use (blooms, lightstrip, and some colour & white Ambiance bulbs), but they get brought out at Christmas & Halloween and work fine when added to the setup.

With 49 bulbs and 13 accessories does the 1 bridge work ok? Thought the limit was 50 total connected ?

RonTon wrote: »
    With 49 bulbs and 13 accessories does the 1 bridge work ok? Thought the limit was 50 total connected ?

Unofficially it’s limited to 64 devices.
    They just say 50 as a safety net.

I must be dancing close to the edge though! Halloween will be the test as I’ll have about 2/3 additional bulbs running, so we’ll see how it all fairs out.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

thats what I was thinking, the dimmer and sensors would work? and bridge?

I can confirm US dimmers works fine with UK bridge. I've a few myself (I prefer that the buttons actually say ON/OFF on them, as opposed to I/O on the european version).

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭RonTon

Unofficially it’s limited to 64 devices.
    They just say 50 as a safety net.

I must be dancing close to the edge though! Halloween will be the test as I’ll have about 2/3 additional bulbs running, so we’ll see how it all fairs out.

Cheers for reply Andy , I’ve 46 connected (42 bulbs and 4 sensors ) and was holding off getting a few more trying to see what would be last 4 , shopping spree on the way :)

• Advertisement

Hi can you set how long a bulb stay s on with sensors? And what colour it is?

Also as the bulbs are green and purple, do they still work as warm whites?

Only want white light

quote="RonTon;108068695"]Cheers for reply Andy , I’ve 46 connected (42 bulbs and 4 sensors ) and was holding off getting a few more trying to see what would be last 4 , shopping spree on the way :)[/quote]

Advertisement