Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk Price III

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

I got a tour of the Strathroy Dairy plant today. They are gearing up to be the major player in the long term. No suits walking around either. Very impressive and lean operation

We're dry for the winter and we use our own milk when milking.
    But I hate to say this but after trying out a few brands of milk, the nearest we can get to our own milk is Strathroy. So when buying now we only buy cartons with the code 224 on the back.
    The others we tried were just water.:rolleyes:(and not good water)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

Can we deal in facts here and leave the personal crap onside?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    We're dry for the winter and we use our own milk when milking.
    But I hate to say this but after trying out a few brands of milk, the nearest we can get to our own milk is Strathroy. So when buying now we only buy cartons with the code 224 on the back.
    The others we tried were just water.:rolleyes:(and not good water)

I can't see how one brand pf milk differs fom another? But then again, I've almost no sense of taste

• Registered Users Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Can we deal in facts here and leave the personal crap onside?

I'd say unlikely. But hey that's the entertainment..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,120 ✭✭✭✭Water John

It could do with the the way it may be homogenised. A larger fat globule would give it a diff taste.

BTW Growing, most suppliers on here to GII, take their processors actions personally, when it leaves less money in their pockets for their families.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭visatorro

Is it wrong to classify contract milk as a fixed price iykwim? Milk all year round here. I found that I was fooked only for contract milk. That's why I never signed up for any scheme's. Talking to different lads there was varying opinions of how they got on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

visatorro wrote: »
    Is it wrong to classify contract milk as a fixed price iykwim? Milk all year round here. I found that I was fooked only for contract milk. That's why I never signed up for any scheme's. Talking to different lads there was varying opinions of how they got on.

I've never signed up to a fixed price scheme, and thats part the reason, liquid is semi fixed in my view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

I can't see how one brand pf milk differs fom another? But then again, I've almost no sense of taste

I don't know, when you're so used to drinking your own you'll cop the difference straight away.
    I suppose if it was the other way round and you were drinking a certain brand the whole time and you were offered milk from the tank you'd see a difference straight away.

As far as we can taste strathroy take nothing from the milk but the others do??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

My take is if there is a buyer of the milk at a fixed price then fair enough it is what it is but if it's just an amount fixed financed by dropping regular price then it's bollix. I assume those not happy voiced there concerns at meetings or with board reps? I know I vent on here as well but it's not much good unless it's said to those involved. Kg is right first thing to do is see how it would fit in within the farm gate. Giving out here won't change much either get on to reps / boards or get involved. If enough people are vocal they'll have to listen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,864 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Went for a drop of milk this morning from the fridge for my weetabix and blast not a duck left in carton ,but spotted a small bottle that came with a mcdonalds meals a way back a month a ago stuck at back of fridge .dated use by nov28 this should be well dozed but smelled ok,took a sip ,tasted like the day it was bought but how in gods name this can be still fresh 3 weeks later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Coolfresian

Tbh I'm concerned that by having the schemes especially when prices are rising that milk proccessors might be slow to rise the price too quick so as not too have the fixed schemes at lower prices looking like a disaster.
    I'd prefer them not to be offered at all and pay the best market price possible across the board instead and I'm not alone in thinking that.

I got a tour of the Strathroy Dairy plant today. They are gearing up to be the major player in the long term. No suits walking around either. Very impressive and lean operation

Are they still looking for new suppliers? Very interested in changing my supplier when my contract ends and have 4 options in my area luckily.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭alps

These fixed price schemes surely have their place, and at a point in time can be beneficial to a farmer. Its certainly a very individual decision based on circumstances all round.

However I really don't like the "rewarding loyalty" tag that seems to be attaching to some of these schemes. If these schemes are genuine, you should have the right to say yes or no to any of them, to make the business decision that best suits your farm, to take your own gamble on the future market. If you continue to supply your milk to the coop, that should qualify you as "loyal"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

cute geoge wrote: »
    Went for a drop of milk this morning from the fridge for my weetabix and blast not a duck left in carton ,but spotted a small bottle that came with a mcdonalds meals a way back a month a ago stuck at back of fridge .dated use by nov28 this should be well dozed but smelled ok,took a sip ,tasted like the day it was bought but how in gods name this can be still fresh 3 weeks later

Was it UHT milk?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,864 ✭✭✭cute geoge

blue5000 wrote: »
    Was it UHT milk?

The national dairy council logo on the back so unlikely uht .I must say it tasted superb but gods knows what preservatives were in it

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

blue5000 wrote: »
    Was it UHT milk?

Nobody drinks that cause it's sh1te!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭alps

Nobody drinks that cause it's sh1te!

Any of the supermarkets in Europe have pallets and pallets of it and you'd have a job finding a fridge with a few bottles of fresh stuff....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    I don't know, when you're so used to drinking your own you'll cop the difference straight away.
    I suppose if it was the other way round and you were drinking a certain brand the whole time and you were offered milk from the tank you'd see a difference straight away.

As far as we can taste strathroy take nothing from the milk but the others do??:confused:

They do. They take off the whey I think.
    That's part of the building work they've just done if i remember correctly.
    Now they can expand there product range. Before this they had to sell it on and had to take the price they were offered iykwim

They do. They take off the whey I think.
    That's part of the building work they've just done if i remember correctly.
    Now they can expand there product range. Before this they had to sell it on and had to take the price they were offered iykwim

The building work recently was an evaporater, this was to sort out the problem of spring calving herd peak milk supplies. As you say, they had to take what they were given for their excess milk. But not any more.

Are they still looking for new suppliers? Very interested in changing my supplier when my contract ends and have 4 options in my area luckily.

Still yaking suppliers, but not actively pursuing atm. You'll have to contact them for details as i dont know anything beyond that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Still yaking suppliers, but not actively pursuing atm. You'll have to contact them for details as i dont know anything beyond that

How does it make sense that Ni milk suppliers are wanting to come south due to bad prices up norn atm :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

alps wrote: »
    Any of the supermarkets in Europe have pallets and pallets of it and you'd have a job finding a fridge with a few bottles of fresh stuff....

And be bloody careful about what you think is fresh stuff then! Took a mouthful outa a carton of what I thought was fresh milk I'd just after bought in Belgium, was buttermilk, I had to spit it straight out haha.

How does it make sense that Ni milk suppliers are wanting to come south due to bad prices up norn atm :confused:

I honestly don't know. I was only there looking at the shiney automated machinery. Are the guys in NI getting a worse price than in the Republic?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

alps wrote:
    However I really don't like the "rewarding loyalty" tag that seems to be attaching to some of these schemes. If these schemes are genuine, you should have the right to say yes or no to any of them, to make the business decision that best suits your farm, to take your own gamble on the future market. If you continue to supply your milk to the coop, that should qualify you as "loyal"

Quite. It's an implicit option and makes a nonsense of the 'business like' nature of the scheme. It's not a volatility defence because you can't price the option, it's an inducement and when I see an inducement my instant reaction is to ask why the counterparty thinks I need one.

Nevertheless if I was a glanbia supplier I'd consider it if only for a portion of supply .... when in Rome etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,092 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Glanbia milk cheques in accounts this morning.

Its a pity they cant get the statements up on glanbia connect quicker.

Its a pity they cant get the statements up on glanbia connect quicker.

Yes. I mentioned it in the survey thingy. Used to always be online on 16th

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

Water John wrote: »
    It could do with the the way it may be homogenised. A larger fat globule would give it a diff taste.

BTW Growing, most suppliers on here to GII, take their processors actions personally, when it leaves less money in their pockets for their families.

I totally accept that but emotion has to left out of this decision. The kinda crap ORide is spouting doesn't help anyone.

We were in first 2 schemes and lost slightly so as a result didn't get large allocations in later schemes. I'm not crying about it unlike some. I'm not suggesting there's a Cabal sitting in an office making judgements based on a personality, I just made the wrong decision.

Btw, I'm not saying anyone should or shouldn't partake in the latest schemes but should make a business call not an emotional one.

If someone hasn't applied for any of the schemes so far will they get any allocation in the next scheme or are they only open to those who were in before?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

whelan2 wrote: »
    If someone hasn't applied for any of the schemes so far will they get any allocation in the next scheme or are they only open to those who were in before?

This is the rub
    No transparency offered on allocations,just a catch all phrase about existing participants being given priority which actually worsens transparency if there was any and there isn't
    The jehohavas witness comparison and Orwell animal farm comments earlier seem apt in that context

All members should be treated equally with fixed price schemes End of if we're supposed to be in a Co Operative

Here's the definition of Co operative by the way :

'
    A cooperative (also known as co-operative, co-op or coop) is an autonomous association of people united voluntarily to meet their common economic, social and cultural needs and aspirations through a jointly owned and democratically controlled business.

Advertisement