Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road issues that irritate me.......

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

Are our graveyards suddenly filling with dead cyclists?

Are our ambulances suddenly filling with injured cyclists?

Are cyclists being refused / paying loadings on Life insurance?

Wouldn't all the above be happening if cyclists were the peril the drama squad claim?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

FunLover18 wrote: »
    What? As in John Learner wants to take the car out - stick on the L Plates, but John's had a few pint so Jim Novice has to drive him home - take down the Ls and stick on the Ns. That's crazy, is it not just easier for other drivers to assume they're dealing with a novice/learner and take the appropriate cautions
    When John Learner gets into the driver seat does he not adjust the mirrors to suit his driving. Does he not adjust his seat to suit his driving. What's the big deal about adjusting the L or N sign to suit his licence?
    Here's a crazy idea or three.
    Let's make it a legal obligation that all learners, and only learners, are obliged to have an L plate on display- front and back, and ONLY an L plate.
    Let's make it a legal obligation that all novice licence holders, and only novice licence holders, are obliged to have an N plate on display- front and back, and ONLY an N plate.
    And finally full unrestricted licence holders are obliged NOT to drive with either L or N plates on display.
    That way we don't have to assume, presume or guess what licence the driver allegedly holds.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭CaptainR

When I'm filtering alongside slow moving traffic on the motorbike, the amount of people staring at their phones is staggering. Every four cars I pass usually has one person doing it. I know a doctor who leaves his phone in the boot when driving because of the carnage he's seen caused by these muppets.

Young lads my age trying to beat me away from a set of traffic lights in their diesel golf/Passat/A3/320, just because I'm on a bike, bikes weigh **** all they accelerate quicker get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

GrumpyMe wrote:
    When John Learner gets into the driver seat does he not adjust the mirrors to suit his driving. Does he not adjust his seat to suit his driving. What's the big deal about adjusting the L or N sign to suit his licence? Here's a crazy idea or three. Let's make it a legal obligation that all learners, and only learners, are obliged to have an L plate on display- front and back, and ONLY an L plate. Let's make it a legal obligation that all novice licence holders, and only novice licence holders, are obliged to have an N plate on display- front and back, and ONLY an N plate. And finally full unrestricted licence holders are obliged NOT to drive with either L or N plates on display. That way we don't have to assume, presume or guess what licence the driver allegedly holds.

What a load of absolute rubbish!!! You can't be serious, you just can't be!! I've seen some pretty petty **** on here but this takes the biscuit, basically you want to criminalise having an L plate on your car unless a learner is driving? Jesus wept! How impatient a driver do you have to be where this is an issue worth thinking about let alone posting on an online forum about, I genuinely ****ing despair!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

I forgot Yaris drivers ye should be made put two bags on yer heads have ye no shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,300 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

GrumpyMe wrote: »
    When John Learner gets into the driver seat does he not adjust the mirrors to suit his driving. Does he not adjust his seat to suit his driving. What's the big deal about adjusting the L or N sign to suit his licence?
    Here's a crazy idea or three.
    Let's make it a legal obligation that all learners, and only learners, are obliged to have an L plate on display- front and back, and ONLY an L plate.
    Let's make it a legal obligation that all novice licence holders, and only novice licence holders, are obliged to have an N plate on display- front and back, and ONLY an N plate.
    And finally full unrestricted licence holders are obliged NOT to drive with either L or N plates on display.
    That way we don't have to assume, presume or guess what licence the driver allegedly holds.

Give over

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

If there's a learner and a novice using the same car, I usually just assume they're Dutch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

I was looking at Nissan cars lately and a new Micra was on offer at nearly 15k.

I wouldn't take it for 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

RobertKK wrote: »

People who have the right of way at a roundabout but don't seem to know the rules of the road, so they make you break the rules as you haven't all day for them to move - happened me the other day, I was waiting for them to move, with no sign they were making any progress I went on.

I usually gesticulate at them they they are in fact ok to go ahead, what with them having right of way and all.

To a man/woman they proceed whilst ****ing me out of it and i've had a few of them beep their horn at me.

Irish drivers simply don't understand how roundabouts work, at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Pedestrians who cross at a snail's pace at pedestrian crossings often supposedly engrossed in their phone and then throw a look at you to see if you're annoyed...I try to keep a passive look on my face but always fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Patww79 wrote: »
    Honestly, and genuinely no offence intended, but I don't believe you. I don't believe that you haven't broken the 30kmph limit in central Dublin or the 50kmph limit in many suburban areas. The various surveys that I've seen from RSA and others show 60% to 80% of drivers breaking speed limits. In my experience, so-called professional drivers in vans, trucks and taxis are among the worst drivers in terms of speeding, phoning, texting etc.

Whether I drive or cycle, I see most drivers will routinely break the speed limit when they get half the chance. I frequently break the speed limit when driving, and on those occasions when I choose to stick rigidly to the speed limit, I find that there is a queue of frustrated cars lined up behind me, surprised at this unusually slow driver 'holding up' traffic.

That's the reality of life on the roads. Almost every road user breaks the rules, it's just a matter of which rules they break and how they break them.
    lawred2 wrote: »
    it's amusing seeing you trying to hold some meaningless moral high ground while at the same time it's you that's picking and choosing whatever rules of the road you fancy obeying...
    No moral high ground here. Look at what I actually said. I never justified anyone breaking the law. I never claimed that I never broke the law. Try arguing with what I actually said.
    This is a new occurrence with the advent of DRL's. People see light in front of them & the dash lit up so their happy. They don't realise the rear of the car is in total darkness and happily drive away. I used to pull in behind and flash them, to let them know somethings wrong. Dont do it anymore after some auld scrote took offence to it and whipped up the handbrake in front of me on the dark M7. I ended up in the gravel on the side of the road after some evasive driving/breaking. Wish I had my dash am for that one.
    I've seen a few of these around, usually newer 15D or 16D reg cars, usually bigger/fancier cars, and hugely surprised if I get to tell them that they've no back lights on.
    People walking in the dark in dark clothes with no lights or reflective clothing - you are asking to be killed unintentionally.
    Or maybe they're just asking for you to drive safely, and be able to stop in the distance you can see to be clear. Stop blaming victims.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Pikeys on sulky carts.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,739 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

RainyDay wrote: »
    Or maybe they're just asking for you to drive safely, and be able to stop in the distance you can see to be clear. Stop blaming victims.

I am blaming stupid victims, last year I was getting a taxi ride home, the taxi driver was driving safely.
    We were nearly on top of this man walking on the road in the dark in dark clothes with no safety gear like an arm reflector/high vis jacket or a light.

If that person had gotten knocked down, the only person to blame would have been the victim who was walking on a rural road in the dark with no safety aids to protect them from traffic.

Sometimes victims deserve blame if they played a role in them becoming a victim.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

RainyDay wrote: »

You should really contact the RSA immediately, complain about their 'victim blaming'.

http://rsa.ie/en/RSA/Pedestrians-and-Cyclists/Pedestrian-safety/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

maudgonner wrote: »
    You should really contact the RSA immediately, complain about their 'victim blaming'.

RSA is basically a motoring advocacy quango that wants everyone in hi viz everywhere, like it's some sort of invincibility shield.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,739 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

maudgonner wrote: »

Well said, and thanks for the link.

I see they basically said everything I complained about lacking with some walkers on rural road in the dark.
    Increase your visibility

More than two-thirds of fatal pedestrian collisions happen at night. Although you can hear a car coming and see its lights, the driver may not see you (and certainly won’t hear you).
    To protect yourself make sure you:
    • Always wear a pair of reflective armbands, high-visibility belt or other reflective or fluorescent clothing which will help you to be seen from a distance
    • Carry a torch on country roads

I didn't think I was being unreasonable, and the RSA would agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

Roundabouts... people who don't indicate - I and others are not mind readers.

People who have the right of way at a roundabout but don't seem to know the rules of the road, so they make you break the rules as you haven't all day for them to move - happened me the other day, I was waiting for them to move, with no sign they were making any progress I went on.

At traffic lights last week, this driver in front of me decided to lean over and open the passenger door as there was something hanging out of the door, it was at traffic lights but while he was doing it - the lights went from red to green and back to red. A bit of consideration for people behind would have been nice.

Cyclists...

Driving at the speed limit and have some idiot driving too fast behind you.

People who overtake close to bends - 99.999% of people want to get to their destination alive.

People walking in the dark in dark clothes with no lights or reflective clothing - you are asking to be killed unintentionally.

General road rage, it is fine for one to be annoyed, but no one likes being intimidated.

In dark clothes against the backdrop of a dark hedge or dark tarmacadam road surface they probably will not be visible at all even in headlights. I know because I've been there as a driver narrowly missing a pedestrian crossing the road. Putting it simply black can not be picked up against a black background no matter how powerful the light.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,585 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

When somebody wants to turn right, across the oncoming lane of traffic, and the cars behind them end up having to wait for ages as nobody will let them cross.

Even more irritating when traffic is just crawling anyway, so there is even less reason not to let them through.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

osarusan wrote:
    When somebody wants to turn right, across the oncoming lane of traffic, and the cars behind them end up having to wait for ages as nobody will let them cross.

Sometimes those turning right could move up a bit and let the cars behind go inside them but they won't..very frustrating tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Alun wrote: »
    ?????????

It's self explanatory. With the auto lights turned on the fog lights come on too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

CaptainR wrote: »
    When I'm filtering alongside slow moving traffic on the motorbike, the amount of people staring at their phones is staggering. Every four cars I pass usually has one person doing it. I know a doctor who leaves his phone in the boot when driving because of the carnage he's seen caused by these muppets.

Young lads my age trying to beat me away from a set of traffic lights in their diesel golf/Passat/A3/320, just because I'm on a bike, bikes weigh **** all they accelerate quicker get over it.

yeah Im a motorcyclist too and the amount of people in slow moving traffic texting away is chronic. People in earlier posts also said about drivers on the motorway who constantly use their brakes- chances are they are texting too and take their eyes of the road for 3 or 4 seconds and then when they get their eyes back on the road theyre nearly up someones arse, so they slam the brakes. Then when the distance is safe again they go back to finishing their text till they slam the brakes again, and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Also women drivers window shopping from their car while driving down the town.

Also women shaving their legs on the dashboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,437 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It's self explanatory. With the auto lights turned on the fog lights come on too.
    Not on any car I've driven they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

Poor drivers who think they're good drivers are the ones to watch out for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    People who hog the fast lane.

There are no fast lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ShaunC

People in traffic who take short cuts through housing estates to jump nearer the front of the queue and then the idiots who let them pull out onto the main road again:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

People driving with fog lights on,particularly the blinding rear ones, when the only bit of fog visible is the bit between the drivers ears.
    Using mobile phone while driving.
    The roundabout nightmares.

Advertisement