Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road issues that irritate me.......

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Pedro K

Lack of lane discipline. Get out of the overtaking lane. Get the **** out of the middle lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭HellSquirrel

MadDog76 wrote: »
    Cyclist Alert!!!!!!!

Cycling Forum is that way >>>>>>>>

The motorist forum is that way then!
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Don't forget to indicate!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭FightingIrish

People who display the 'L' sign back to front/upside down should not even be allowed into the drivers seat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

RainyDay wrote: »
    Thanks so much. It's first left after the motoring forum.

Second left actually, first left (cyclist short-cut) is for Pedestrians only! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Every single driver, and road user, apart from me!

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Cars (presume used by multiple pal) that display both an L and an N sign. Seriously how lazy...

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Hey, I pay my road tax.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    There is no fast lane???

I think you'll find there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

MadDog76 wrote:
    Cyclist Alert!!!!!!!

What's the problem with cyclists commenting on a thread like this. One cyclists are road users and most are also drivers. What's wrong with the post you quoted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Simply having to deal with people who have no brains behind the wheel. You can sense it with certain drivers. Dawdling along in the wrong lane, sometimes no indication, drifting in lane or being unbelievably lethargic at moving off the line or at getting through a green light that has now turned red. :mad:

Drivers that over take me and my club mates on my bicycle on bends in the road! Happens far too often. Perhaps they have periscopes but they certainly aren't noticeable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

PeadarCo wrote: »
    What's the problem with cyclists .........

The answer to that question needs a thread of it's own!! :D

The answer to that question needs a thread of it's own!! :D

I've never seen one of those ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Senna wrote: »
    People who see a car coming at night but insist on blinding them first before dipping their head lights.

A lot of newer cars have those auto dip sensors which can be slow to detect oncoming cars. You can turn it off but its easy to forgot to dip your lights.
    THFC wrote: »
    And it doesn't really annoy me but the amount of people that drive around with their fog lights on for aesthetic reasons is just sad..

Again the auto lights tend to turn on the fog lights too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

MadDog76 wrote:
    The answer to that question needs a thread of it's own!!

The thing that annoys me most the fact that some that just because you've done a test that it makes them a faultless driver despite decades of road statistics(details deaths and serious injuries) that prove otherwise. I say that as a driver myself.

Also people give out about other people breaking the rules of the road but are opposed to speed and red light cameras.( if you always obey the rules of the road they shouldn't affect you)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭9or10

Drivers who continously brake randomly for no apparent reason?

They're pi$$ed :D
    Drivers who let everybody in/out.
    Had one the other day. I was stopped at a junction turning right on a filter. Had a bit of a wait so slurp the coffee. Next thing some idiot stops to let me go with a queue of traffic behind him.

Nearly burnt me nutz and then I was embarassed because he was driving like a dick.

My pet hate is turning right across a busy main road. When the busy road comes to a stop the number of A/holes who will stop in the gap in front of you, for absolutely no gain, rather than letting you out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

People who complain most about cyclists are always middle-aged men.

Hope someone has the decency to kill me before I reach middle-age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Using the brake instead of just decelerating in time

The brake is for emergencies or bringing a car to a stop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Patww79 wrote: »

Not really, the default answer is usually something along the lines of 'cyclists don't kill and maim others - that would be motorists'. So if you really want something to complain about, I'd have thought that killing and maiming should be somewhere near the top of the list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Using the brake instead of just decelerating in time

The brake is for emergencies or bringing a car to a stop

That would make for incredibly tedious driving. Like the economy runs they have on Top Gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

So what you're saying is that if drivers didn't do bad things then cyclists woul;dn't have any excuse to ;)

I grew up in the country side. I cycled everywhere. I cycled into the nearest big town. It wasn't too bad but there were lots of rough drivers. The number of times I've been on a narrow road/street, 6 inches from the ditch/pavement and cars have beeped their horns to get me to move farther left is ridiculous. The number of those cars who pass me at speed and leave a foot at the most on the right of me is about the same. The number of times I've had drivers open their car doors when I'm approaching is silly. I've lost track of the number of times I've been nearly knocked off the road by a car speeding on a country road.

I had a friend in school who was crushed against a wall because a car pushed up right next to him at high speed. He spent 6 months in hospital and years in physio. Two weeks later it nearly happened to me on the same road at the same place.

I don't cycle anymore. I left my bike in a bike rack at a train station. I came back later and found the rear wheel at a right angle. Some fcuker reversed into the bike rack and into the bikes. The frame was warped so there went my €800 bike. Other bikes were damaged too. Did the guy leave a note or tell the guys in the station what had happened? Did he fcuk.

Even if I had my bike I probably wouldn't cycle in Dublin. It's just too dangerous with the standard of drivers on our roads and the lack of cycle lanes (Although to be fair after the time I nearly crashed into a parked car in fog on a cycle lane I grew wary of them too)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

When I'm cycling:

Drivers pulling out of a junction ahead of me forcing me to brake sharply, because they assume they have the right of way, because they're in a car.

Drivers trying to overtake me on corners and then realising that they can't because I'm not glued to the kerb, and so have to brake and wait for me to complete the turn. It's impatient, and dangerous if there's someone behind them.

Cyclists breaking red lights, and not following the Rules of the Road in general, maintaining the stereotype that no cyclists follow the rules.

Drivers stopped in the cycle lane.

When I'm walking:

Cyclists on the footpath: it's dangerous and childish - how can you not cope with cycling on the road if you're an adult?

Drivers breaking reds at pedestrian crossings, especially in the morning. Get up earlier and you won't be in a rush!

When I'm driving:

At roundabouts when it's not busy: drivers entering the roundabout in the right-hand lane, and exiting (before or at 12 o'clock) into the left-hand lane, while I'm exiting into the same lane, having started in the left-hand lane.

Drivers at roundabouts in general: most people haven't got a clue, which is especially frustrating because they're so simple. Of particular annoyance is when a roundabout deviates even slightly from the common four-exit 12, 3, 6, 9 o'clock form, and people have no idea what to do. Well, if there are three exits you still indicate left when you're taking the first one.

Drivers who assume that indicating is only relevant to the car directly behind them, so don't indicate if there's no-one right behind them, regardless of the need to indicate what they're doing to cyclists and pedestrians.

Drivers who go at a constant 70 on a 100 road, and when they enter a town.

Drivers who nose forward when they think the light is soon to go green. What are you thinking? It's particularly funny when they do it way too early and end up almost imperceptibly inching forward for about 30 seconds.

Reductive "all cyclists/drivers are idiots" thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,516 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Anyone who doesn't know they have no lights on or blown headlight bulbs., these are the very same clowns who call the NCT a money racket.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

9or10 wrote: »
    They're pi$$ed :D

Had one the other day. I was stopped at a junction turning right on a filter. Had a bit of a wait so slurp the coffee. Next thing some idiot stops to let me go with a queue of traffic behind him.

Nearly burnt me nutz and then I was embarassed because he was driving like a dick.

My pet hate is turning right across a busy main road. When the busy road comes to a stop the number of A/holes who will stop in the gap in front of you, for absolutely no gain, rather than letting you out.

Remember the advert that was on years ago about the yellow box and how you should only enter it if you can exit it? It's strange because based on what I see I think most drivers think it's a parking space where you can wait for lights to change :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Could you provided one actual example of where an action by a cyclist has caused someone else to be killed or maimed in Ireland in, say, the last ten years? Perhaps a coroners report or a press report or a Garda statement?

There are a very small number of cases where cyclists cause injuries to themselves, such as the drunk cyclist killed on the M1 a couple of years back. But I can't recall a single case of a cyclist causing death or serious injury to someone else - can you?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

A lot of newer cars have those auto dip sensors which can be slow to detect oncoming cars. You can turn it off but its easy to forgot to dip your lights.

Again the auto lights tend to turn on the fog lights too.

Is that actually a thing?? And people use that rather than dip the headlights themselves?

So car with that installed arrives at a lefthand bend just as another oncoming car approaches bend, the car with auto dip will always blind the other driver as the other drivers lights are always pointing away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

RainyDay wrote: »
    Could you provided one actual example of where an action by a cyclist has caused someone else to be killed or maimed in Ireland in, say, the last ten years? Perhaps a coroners report or a press report or a Garda statement?

There are a very small number of cases where cyclists cause injuries to themselves, such as the drunk cyclist killed on the M1 a couple of years back. But I can't recall a single case of a cyclist causing death or serious injury to someone else - can you?

Does it have to be someone else, how about killing or maiming themselves by running red lights or whatever ?

Advertisement