Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road issues that irritate me.......

Options
  • 06-11-2016 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭

Driving in the dark with no lights.......the amount of people who drive around after dark with no lights on is scary!! Do they not realised that their instrument cluster does not display the headlight symbol or can they even understand the displays!

Cyclists and red lights......Heading past Connolly station, passsd the Luas tracks and stopped at red lights between the IFSC and Busaras, 3 cyclists go by and one neary gets run over by a van coming from the right, the little suicide jockey then gives out to the van for not seeing him.....am I missing something here or red lights the new green??

What are your most irritating road issues?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

People who hog the fast lane.

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

People who call it "the fast lane".

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Driving in the dark with no lights.......the amount of people who drive around after dark with no lights on is scary!! Do they not realised that their instrument cluster does not display the headlight symbol or can they even understand the displays!

Cyclists and red lights......Heading past Connolly station, passsd the Luas tracks and stopped at red lights between the IFSC and Busaras, 3 cyclists go by and one neary gets run over by a van coming from the right, the little suicide jockey then gives out to the van for not seeing him.....am I missing something here or red lights the new green??

Those are problems not issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

People who call it "the fast lane".

Hey, I pay my road tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Those are problems not issues.

From my point of view its an issue, from a social aspect its a problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Anyone with a horse box. Jerks.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭VulcanRaving

People driving 80 in a 100 zone and then driving at 60 or 70 in a 50 zone. If you're going to hold up half the country at least try and justify it by saying you are trying to respect the speed limits

Drivers not indicating- and no, slowing down, making your turn and then flicking on your indicator does not count!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Impatient people who flash their lights at me when I'm doing 100 km/h (which, quite frankly, is fast enough for anyone) in the fast lane on the M50.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

People who don't indicate on roundabouts, but also complain about traffic congestion.

You self-centred muppet, can't you see that you're contributing to the problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Sound Bite

People who don't use indicators properly.

Not sure which is worse; those who indicate far too early - they are running left but what they mean is the third left! or those who don't indicate at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

RayM wrote: »
    Impatient people who flash their lights at me when I'm doing 100 km/h (which, quite frankly, is fast enough for anyone) in the fast lane on the M50.

:P This the get the popcorn time post :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

:P This the get the popcorn time post :D

Fr. Douglas made a valiant effort too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Cyclists.

Pedestrians who think they can outrun a car so take the chance.

Drivers who don't know how to use roundabouts.

Drivers who over-take you even though you're doing the speed limit.

Drivers who under-take.

Cyclists.

Full-beams being left on.

Selfish and/or dangerous parking.

Not thanking you for letting them out/in.

Trying to bully your way out/in.

Cyclists.

Driving ridiculously slow.

Drivers who try to intimidate Learner/Novice drivers.

Audi drivers.

Drivers who continously brake randomly for no apparent reason?

Cyclists.

Drivers who think that a red light means nap-time.

Tailgaters.

Drivers who let everybody in/out.

Drivers who barrel up the Bus Lane then expect you to just let them in!??!!!?!

And, of course, cyclists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

People who see a car coming at night but insist on blinding them first before dipping their head lights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

The whole system of learning is wrong. the theory test means people learn off signs etc and then when they pass that its onto 12 lessons minimum learning off in a rote fashion while driving around the town you presumably live in. then the minute test is passed to hell with putting any of the posssible good habits/rules lernt to use.

plus there is no focus on motorway driving, nor a proper clear understanding of roundabouts (see numerous postings on boards re same), not enough emphasis on when to light up, respect for other road users etc.

i realise a lot of road users are stupid, ignorant and arrogant, and the system allows for a lot of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Driving in the wet on a motorway or dual carriageway. Overtake me by all means but don't pull back in 20 yards in front of me and blind me
    with your spray.

People who overtake and then drive slower than you were going before they overtook you. Morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

The fcukers that drive like old women in the parts where over-taking is impossible yet when they get to a straight bit of road they suddenly put the foot down.

And it doesn't really annoy me but the amount of people that drive around with their fog lights on for aesthetic reasons is just sad..

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

Well said Gramar. The moment where you try to maintain a proper distance from the car in front of you on a motorway in fast-moving traffic (taking into account increased stopping distance and spray)- and the world and their mother decide there's a 'gap' so they should overtake and pull in just ahead of you and blind you.

I'm not talking about driving slowly, even, I'm talking about blinding rain, hazardous driving conditions, driving at the speed limit, and some idiot decides to pull in so close in front of you that there is literally no way you could avoid them in the event of anything happening. And of course you'd be at fault if you smashed into them, because you were behind the idiot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

My most irritating road issues would be the folks that moan about cyclists (riding 10kg bikes at 10-20 kmph) breaking red lights while apparently not noticing (or noticing and ignoring) the endemic breaking of amber/red lights by motorists driving 1-4 tonne vehicles at speeds of 20-100 kmph. And don't get me started on the phoning/texting drivers, and the 80% of drivers who break speed limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,927 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Fr_Dougal wrote:

There is no fast lane???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

:( When people just stare at you when you’re both stopped at an intersection::eek::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Drivers not indicating- and no, slowing down, making your turn and then flicking on your indicator does not count!

As a pedestrian I have to agree with this. You see a car coming down a road but it's not indicating so you think it's not going to turn and you're safe to cross at your part of the junction. You put a foot onto the ropad and the car swerves in front of you.

I remember standing at a crossing at a roundabout waiting to cross and counting the number of cars that passed me and indicated. About 1/3 of them indicated that they were taking the exit I was waiting to cross the rest just took it without indicating.

We have a horrific standard of driving in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Standard of Irish driving is poor in almost every regard.

The thing of slipping up the bus lane, skipping maybe a couple hundred yards of queue and then indicating and expecting people to let you in is really, really frustrating as it slows everything down significantly for everybody else.

On the Chapelizod bypass bus lane is removed for works and trafic is flowing better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

5 billion watt light bulbs in cars that give of that bluish white light. Whether they come towards you or from behind the effect is blinding.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,927 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

When people just stare at you when you’re both stopped at an intersection:

The nose pickers make it even worse. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

RainyDay wrote: »
    My most irritating road issues would be the folks that moan about cyclists (riding 10kg bikes at 10-20 kmph) breaking red lights while apparently not noticing (or noticing and ignoring) the endemic breaking of amber/red lights by motorists driving 1-4 tonne vehicles at speeds of 20-100 kmph. And don't get me started on the phoning/texting drivers, and the 80% of drivers who break speed limits.

Cyclist Alert!!!!!!!

Cycling Forum is that way >>>>>>>>

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Also, this sign needs to be erected on every motorway (plus the N4/7) at regular intervals.

oPsPS4R.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

MadDog76 wrote: »
    Cyclist Alert!!!!!!!

Cycling Forum is that way >>>>>>>>

Thanks so much. It's first left after the motoring forum.

Advertisement