Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road issues that irritate me.......

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

jon1981 wrote: »
    Cars (presume used by multiple pal) that display both an L and an N sign. Seriously how lazy...

What's lazy about this? If you're a novice driver you're legally obliged to display an 'N' plate and same for learners. Are they supposed to fork out and buy separate cars :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

Random braking.....what the f**k are you braking for!!...there is nothing in front of you the last few miles and your stuttering along, speeding up, slowing down......

makes my pi$$ boil

Why is it that Dublin drivers (maybe it happens elsewhere) will break a red at the drop of a hat but as soon as a light turns green it takes them about 10 seconds to get into gear and take off, drives me nuts. If you're the first car at a set of lights stay in gear, show some courtesy to the cars waiting behind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Cyclists should have license plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,437 ✭✭✭✭Alun

FunLover18 wrote: »
    What's lazy about this? If you're a novice driver you're legally obliged to display an 'N' plate and same for learners. Are they supposed to fork out and buy separate cars :confused:
    You do what I did when I was learning. Put them up while learning and take them off while not. Otherwise what the !%^& is the point of them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

FunLover18 wrote:
    Why is it that Dublin drivers (maybe it happens elsewhere) will break a red at the drop of a hat but as soon as a light turns green it takes them about 10 seconds to get into gear and take off, drives me nuts. If you're the first car at a set of lights stay in gear, show some courtesy to the cars waiting behind you.

Similarly the ones who keep edging forward when stopped at a red light yet take ages to take off when it goes green.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

OK I know it's hard for you , but just try and think this through. Perhaps just perhaps you only stick up the plate that represents the driver in the car at that time...

Cheaper solution than purchasing an additional car.

Alun wrote: »
    You do what I did when I was learning. Put them up while learning and take them off while not. Otherwise what the !%^& is the point of them?

Have you considered that there may be two people (possibly siblings) sharing the same car, one who has passed the test and is a novice, and one who is still a learner. I couldn't wait to take my L plates off, hard to imagine someone being too lazy to do so especially if they went to the effort of putting on the N plates.

Have you considered that there may be two people (possibly siblings) sharing the same car, one who has passed the test and is a novice, and one who is still a learner. I couldn't wait to take my L plates off, hard to imagine someone being too lazy to do so especially if they went to the effort of putting on the N plates.

Lol my god ... OK this is clearly way over your head.

I f**king love my bicycle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

jon1981 wrote:
    Lol my god ... OK this is clearly way over your head.

What's your point?Seems very clear to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ShaunieVW

As a driver with nearly 10 years behind me my biggest bug bearer is roundabouts, mainly when I'm in the right hand lane and they are in the left hand lane. They see me and I see them, yet still they go for the racing line and try to squeeze me out despite the fact that I'm going right.

As a cyclist of only a few months. I've never broken lights, always use roundabouts correctly etc. I cycle defensively and yet I still get what can only be described as special kinds of idiots who have a hatred for cyclists. I've been overtaken on a blind bend. On every cycle a driver doesn't see me on the roundabout. a lady even said I caused her to break the speed limit to overtake me while cycling through my local town. Nice downhill ðŸ˜.

So now i see it from both sides and to conclude. The problem isn't motorist or cyclist. It's stupid people.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,967 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

RayM wrote:
    I think you'll find there is.

I'm sure you will find there is none. Not mentioned in the rules of the road

OK I know it's hard for you , but just try and think this through. Perhaps just perhaps you only stick up the plate that represents the driver in the car at that time...

Cheaper solution than purchasing an additional car.

What? As in John Learner wants to take the car out - stick on the L Plates, but John's had a few pint so Jim Novice has to drive him home - take down the Ls and stick on the Ns. That's crazy, is it not just easier for other drivers to assume they're dealing with a novice/learner and take the appropriate cautions

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

Driving in the dark with no lights.......the amount of people who drive around after dark with no lights on is scary!! Do they not realised that their instrument cluster does not display the headlight symbol or can they even understand the displays!

Cyclists and red lights......Heading past Connolly station, passsd the Luas tracks and stopped at red lights between the IFSC and Busaras, 3 cyclists go by and one neary gets run over by a van coming from the right, the little suicide jockey then gives out to the van for not seeing him.....am I missing something here or red lights the new green??

What are your most irritating road issues?

More a case of the red or green just don't exist - but on their own heads be it. Breaking red lights is like a long drawn out game of Russian roulette, motorists have a metal box to protect against self-injury - cyclists have nothing. Better to play safe IMO particularly cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Senna wrote: »
    Is that actually a thing?? And people use that rather than dip the headlights themselves?

So car with that installed arrives at a lefthand bend just as another oncoming car approaches bend, the car with auto dip will always blind the other driver as the other drivers lights are always pointing away.

Yeah most new cars have them. It's grand if you're on a straight road but they're useless when approaching corners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

**** who brake at oncoming traffic at night the road has not got narrowerer because it's dark ya thick cnut.
    **** who drive with their front fogs on whatever the weather.
    **** who haven't a fcuking clue how to use roundabouts.
    **** in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

Drivers that over take me and my club mates on my bicycle on bends in the road! Happens far too often. Perhaps they have periscopes but they certainly aren't noticeable!

Are you cycling 19 abreast?? If so there is only so long a driver can sit behind you

Again the auto lights tend to turn on the fog lights too.
    ?????????

Are you cycling 19 abreast?? If so there is only so long a driver can sit behind you

Pretty sure 19 abreast is illegal ;)

• Advertisement

Pretty sure 19 abreast is illegal ;)

Ok ill say 5 to keep in real terms......all I ask is that you move in, allow the traffic to pass and then move back out.

Surely thats not complicated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I'm sure you will find there is none. Not mentioned in the rules of the road

Here's a hint: It's beside the slow lane.

RayM wrote: »
    Here's a hint: It's beside the slow lane.
    That'd be the overtaking lane then.

And there's no slow lane either, that's called the driving lane.

People who complain most about cyclists are always middle-aged men.

Hope someone has the decency to kill me before I reach middle-age.

Ah you see your most likely in the 20 something group that beleives you are a wonderful road user, however your probably part of the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 16,411 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Nearly went into a trailer being pulled by a tractor on morning last winter and the trailer had no taillights on it, you'd be right up on it before you knew it.

Alun wrote: »
    That'd be the overtaking lane then.

And there's no slow lane either, that's called the driving lane.

Nah mate, seen it with my own eyes

Ok ill say 5 to keep in real terms......all I ask is that you move in, allow the traffic to pass and then move back out.

Surely thats not complicated

5 is equally as illegal as 19. All I ask is alittle patience, if you've no room to move by, just wait a few minutes. Simple :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

People who complain most about cyclists are always middle-aged men.

Hope someone has the decency to kill me before I reach middle-age.

Too late...
    doing 100 km/h (which, quite frankly, is fast enough for anyone)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Nah mate, seen it with my own eyes

Taken from the RSA Guide to Motorway driving
    Lane 1 – You should always use this lane for normal driving. Stay in this lane unless you are overtaking.

Lane 2 – You should only use this lane for overtaking. You must move back to lane 1 once you have finished overtaking and it is safe to do so. You can also move into lane 2 to allow vehicles coming from your left to join the motorway.

Lane 3 – You should only use this lane if traffic in lanes 1 and 2 is moving in queues and you need to overtake or make room for merging traffic. Again, you should move back to lane 1 as soon as it is safe to do so.

• Advertisement

That proves nothing. Find me proof that the fast lane doesn't exist.

Advertisement