Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road issues that irritate me.......

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Not strictly a driving matter, but people who aren't disabled using a disabled parking space or parents who get so all precious over parent and child spaces ~ in my opinion they're legit targets for me finding a parking space (tough sh*t, since when did owning a baby entitle you to f*ck all).

Outside of that hardly anything else, taxi drivers, women drivers, bus drivers etc ~ let 'em all be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

The "overtaking lane" is permanently used by knobends driving overpriced ugly **** like Merc, BMWs and Audis.

It's a box on wheels used to go places. You paid way too much for yours and everyone still hates the fact that you even exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

RayM wrote: »
    That proves nothing. Find me proof that the fast lane doesn't exist.

The Road Safety Auhority says it doesn't exist, the onus is now on you to find an equal or higher authority that says otherwise.

And no, your eyes don't count

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

That proves nothing. Find me proof that the fast lane doesn't exist.

Which brand of German car do you own?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

FunLover18 wrote: »
    The Road Safety Auhority says it doesn't exist, the onus is now on you to find an equal or higher authority that says otherwise.

And no, your eyes don't count

Show me where the Road Safety Authority says the fast lane doesn't exist.

They don't say Bigfoot doesn't exist either but that's hardly proof he does.

lawlolawl wrote: »
    They don't say Bigfoot doesn't exist either but that's hardly proof he does.

So the Road Safety Authority doesn't say the fast lane doesn't exist.

I rest my case. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,305 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Impatient people who flash their lights at me when I'm doing 100 km/h (which, quite frankly, is fast enough for anyone) in the fast lane on the M50.

Why are you driving in the outside lane?

lawred2 wrote: »
    Why are you driving in the outside lane?

Because I'm driving fast. In my Yaris. It's a speed limit, not a speed target.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

railer201 wrote: »
    Does it have to be someone else, how about killing or maiming themselves by running red lights or whatever ?

They are certainly very different scenarios. Motorists routinely kill and maim others on the roads, cyclists don't. Though funnily enough, I can't recall one case of a cyclist death that resulted from running a red light in recent years, can you?
    railer201 wrote: »
    More a case of the red or green just don't exist - but on their own heads be it. Breaking red lights is like a long drawn out game of Russian roulette, motorists have a metal box to protect against self-injury - cyclists have nothing. Better to play safe IMO particularly cyclists.
    Yes, motorists have a metal box and airbags and seat belts - and yet still way more motorists get killed and maimed on our roads than cyclists.
    Better to play it safe IMO, so all drivers should have crash-helmets and fire-retardant suits like the F1 drivers. If it saves one life...
    Are you cycling 19 abreast?? If so there is only so long a driver can sit behind you
    How long can a driver sit behind a cyclist? And how long can a cyclist sit behind a driver in slow moving urban traffic?
    Ok ill say 5 to keep in real terms......all I ask is that you move in, allow the traffic to pass and then move back out.

Surely thats not complicated
    Apparently it is complicated - ff you haven't managed to work out that a shorter, wider obstruction is easier and safer to pass than a long, narrow obstruction, that is. Anne Doyle can explain it, if necessary.

EGriff wrote: »
    Cyclists should have license plates.
    Why, do you reckon that would stop them breaking red lights?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭The Young Wan

The amount of people in Ireland who don't know what an indicator is/does. Especially on fooking roundabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

The amount of people in Ireland who don't know what an indicator is/does. Especially on fooking roundabouts.

This drives me wild too!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

People who don't indicate when there driving into an estate, speaking as a pedestrian it's very irritating. I make sure I'm aware of traffic when crossing the road at the entrance to an estate, but the amount of idiots who don't indicate turning in is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

When you are driving at a steady 80km/hr and the driver behind is alternating between being up your arse one minute, and a mile behind the next.
    Similarly when you are driving behind someone who won't maintain a steady speed, then they must be doing 80 on the approach to the roundabout.
    Truck drivers who bully their way out under you from a side road.
    Drivers playing "guess my exit" on roundabouts.
    Drivers who won''t as much as turn on their sidelights on a rainy day.
    Cyclists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Patww79 wrote: »

I'll answer that in a second. First, can you tell me if you broke the speed limit at all in the past week or so?

Because I'm driving fast. In my Yaris. It's a speed limit, not a speed target.

I know you're trolling but just on the off chance that you're not... it's amusing seeing you trying to hold some meaningless moral high ground while at the same time it's you that's picking and choosing whatever rules of the road you fancy obeying...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

By your definition Lane 1 is the slow lane and Lane 2 is the fast lane (I presume you think Lane 3 is the super fast lane or some other such nonsense).

The link and quote I posted (from the RSA) clearly states otherwise,
    You should always use this lane (Lane 1) for normal driving. Stay in this lane unless you are overtaking. You should always use this lane for normal driving. Stay in this lane unless you are overtaking.

Unless you are overtaking a continuous stream of cars in Lane 1 (unlikely given the constant fast/slow lane misconception) you are driving normally and incorrectly in an overtaking lane. You should move left to Lane 1, ie the driving lane regardless of how fast/slow you are driving.

You can be doing 100km in Lane 2 and come up behind someone doing 80km but if Lane 1 is empty and therefore neither of you are overtaking you are both in the wrong. Person doing 80 should move left allowing you to overtake and as soon as you are past you should also move left.

• Advertisement

Front fog lights don't bother me in the slightest... It's not like they are dazzling or anything..

Now rear fog lights are an entirely different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

jamesbere wrote: »
    People who don't indicate when there driving into an estate, speaking as a pedestrian it's very irritating. I make sure I'm aware of traffic when crossing the road at the entrance to an estate, but the amount of idiots who don't indicate turning in is ridiculous.

And then there are the people who assume that the rules of the road cease to exist once inside an estate, never indicating and flying round blind corners in the middle of the road.

The rules tend to break down in some drivers' minds in supermarket car parks with one-way systems too. You're pootling along on your way and then someone steams in round the corner to steal a parking space.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Indicating just as they take the turn.

Also I'd say a good half of all drivers wouldn't notice if you removed rear view and wing mirrors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

......Do they not realised that their instrument cluster does not display the headlight symbol or can they even understand the displays!

This is a new occurrence with the advent of DRL's. People see light in front of them & the dash lit up so their happy. They don't realise the rear of the car is in total darkness and happily drive away. I used to pull in behind and flash them, to let them know somethings wrong. Dont do it anymore after some auld scrote took offence to it and whipped up the handbrake in front of me on the dark M7. I ended up in the gravel on the side of the road after some evasive driving/breaking. Wish I had my dash am for that one.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    You can be doing 100km in Lane 2 and come up behind someone doing 80km but if Lane 1 is empty and therefore neither of you are overtaking you are both in the wrong. Person doing 80 should move left allowing you to overtake and as soon as you are past you should also move left.

What should you do if you're doing 100km/h in Lane 1 (on a three lane dual carriageway) and you come towards someone doing 70 or 80 in Lane 2? Continue in Lane 1 and undertake them, or move across into Lane 3 to overtake them legally? I always do the latter, and then make a point of moving back into Lane 1, as if to show them how it's supposed to be done, in the hope that they'll follow (they don't).

(I was trolling, btw, because I find people's urge to correct anyone who says "fast lane" amusing)

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

RainyDay wrote: »
    They are certainly very different scenarios. Motorists routinely kill and maim others on the roads, cyclists don't. Though funnily enough, I can't recall one case of a cyclist death that resulted from running a red light in recent years, can you?

So you regard running red lights as a safe practice for cyclists then ??? I don't need data to convince me it's reckless to habitually run reds.

Yes, motorists have a metal box and airbags and seat belts - and yet still way more motorists get killed and maimed on our roads than cyclists.
    Better to play it safe IMO, so all drivers should have crash-helmets and fire-retardant suits like the F1 drivers. If it saves one life...

Of course they do but surely you have no wish for cyclists to join their ranks by habitually running red lights with added disadvantage of no physical protection at all bar a helmet (optional of course).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭HellSquirrel

I don't agree with cyclists breaking red lights (and yes, I am a cyclist myself), but I also don't agree with cyclists being the menace of roads that motorists make them out to be. Just like any other group, good ones and bad one, etcetera. That we don't take a test does mean that ignorance is higher, but that we're smaller and slower generally means that we're inclined to not want to get into a fight with a couple of tonnes of steel.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Because I'm driving fast. In my Yaris.
    Does not compute. *****Terminal Error Code****** :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,741 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Roundabouts... people who don't indicate - I and others are not mind readers.

People who have the right of way at a roundabout but don't seem to know the rules of the road, so they make you break the rules as you haven't all day for them to move - happened me the other day, I was waiting for them to move, with no sign they were making any progress I went on.

At traffic lights last week, this driver in front of me decided to lean over and open the passenger door as there was something hanging out of the door, it was at traffic lights but while he was doing it - the lights went from red to green and back to red. A bit of consideration for people behind would have been nice.

Cyclists...

Driving at the speed limit and have some idiot driving too fast behind you.

People who overtake close to bends - 99.999% of people want to get to their destination alive.

People walking in the dark in dark clothes with no lights or reflective clothing - you are asking to be killed unintentionally.

General road rage, it is fine for one to be annoyed, but no one likes being intimidated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Slow drivers.
    Also women drivers window shopping from their car while driving down the town.

Advertisement