Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion: Autumn/Winter 2016-17

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,099 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Bang! loud thunder west of Castlebar just now

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Dollseyes

Thought I heard thunder. I'm just outside Ballina town

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Bang! loud thunder west of Castlebar just now

I saw a big blue flash of lightning from your direction but heard no thunder.

Plenty of strikes to the north west of Ireland now, perhaps a few in Donegal will see some sparks after

Recent strikes around the Bundoran area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

A Lightning strike which done considerable damage in Donegal Town on Christmas night.
    https://www.facebook.com/donegalonline/posts/398659000466802

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,903 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

I wonder will we see some natural Fireworks early Sunday morning into Sunday behind the front in the brisk Northerly unstable airflow. Looks like plenty of wintry showers on high ground with cold uppers.

PJHFT8t.png?1

FDMxcuv.png

PTeJphw.png

1zKVMwz.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,903 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

A few sferics about today.

4xrbroc.png?1

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Surely errors ? Very little instability today in broad warm sector

Surely errors ? Very little instability today in broad warm sector

Was wondering that, been checking uppers and upper winds to see what was going on ?

Using the same detector ? http://brunnur.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html

iLHtNaL.gif

EDIT: Yea same one from the Met Office

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Met E has the same info: http://www.met.ie/climate/lightning.asp

sferic_20170107.gif

Reading the Met Eireann page shows their data is sourced from UK Met Office as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Had a few lightning strikes over lanzarote last night :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Rikand wrote: »
    Had a few lightning strikes over lanzarote last night :)

Would I be right in saying that lightning in the Canaries is a rare occurrence?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

A strong, negatively titled trough is forecast to push through from the Atlantic midday Friday leading to some good convective potential.
    407441.jpg

If skies are clear enough for limited diurnal heating, a few hundred joules of CAPE is expected to form.
    407438.png

Strong mid level shear of up to 40knts means cells will last longer and could possibly merge into a squall line.
    407439.png

With upper temps down to -35c a strong lapse rate will result and give the potential for some decent sized hail.
    407440.png

Low level shear is in the range of 15-20knts so small chance of funnel clouds perhaps a weak tornado.
    407442.png

Main threat will be Munster for thunderstorms up until just after dark, however a squall line system is probable, heading NE giving us all something to look out for.

Will be interesting to see if things continue to be favourable when the hi res model comes into range.

So with lack of good clear spells today nothing really interesting fired off, all seems to be high based stuff, you know that when its showing showers over you on radar but hardly even raining out. Showers are evaporating before the reach the ground.

Anyways. Without having the time to post of the charts, tomorrow looks better for convection to fire pretty much anywhere across the country. All variants are pretty much similar to what i expected today (if there had of been good clearance).
    Lets hope things go well and we will see some good Cbs at long last!!

Keep an eye on radar the next few hours for cells to fire down the spine of the country and move east. Conditions are favorable for hail/snow (high ground) and even the odd funnel cloud.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Quite nice cloud formations here in West Clare, very sunny too, temperature climbing too 7.1c now.

If only it was a day in June, I could imagine the convection would be very nice.

Towering CBs now around us here in D11:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭pad199207

Light Hail in Naas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭vickers209

pad199207 wrote: »
    Light Hail in Naas

same in wicklow short time ago

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

Hail in Limerick city just now as well

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Awaaf

Heavy mixed rain and hail shower in Dun Laoghaire at about 3.45pm. Felt quite cold.

Thurs and Fri look like potential days for lightning. Thurs possible for squall lines , lot of convergence in that storm system , very cold 500hpa temperatures and sufficient wind sheer in my amateur and learning opinion :)

J3GNOpy.png

JqfPZY7.png

kcwn8e9.png

ix7fOqG.png?1

1jYTARF.png

No show. Only got a smattering of sferics well off the SW coast in the early hours.

53IavgM.gif

Recent lightning near Dingle

Conditions look good for some convective showers in the east over the next few hours. Some nice CBs should be visible like last week. Hail and sleet/snow (high ground) possible.

nmm_uk1-6-8-0_coe1.png

nmm_uk1-1-10-0_huw7.png

408323.png

What looks like a hook echo feature just passed over Ennis just now.

408331.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,448 ✭✭✭weisses

5 nice flashes with proper rumbles here in W Kerry .. lovin it :D

• Advertisement

Was just looking up the charts weisses as I thought I heard a rumble here near Tralee also and just had a big hail shower, could be getting more into the night perhaps ? and tomorrow looking half decent.

zOV29LP.gif

sHoACAe.png?3

MZynzwc.png

Advertisement