Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion: Autumn/Winter 2016-17

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

vicwatson wrote: »
    No you weren't dreaming. Yis had a great theatre in the sky last night. Plenty going on. You'll see the incidenses on met.ie "past weather" but the site is so archaic it'll probably be tomorrow before being able to see the strikes.:mad:
    http://www.met.ie/climate/lightning.asp
    It's updated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Dublin airport reported a thundery shower in one of its obs this morning (at 7am I think). I don't recall hearing anything myself around that time although it was raining heavily at one stage. Anyone else hear or see anything??

• Registered Users Posts: 18,146 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Dublin airport reported a thundery shower in one of its obs this morning (at 7am I think). I don't recall hearing anything myself around that time although it was raining heavily at one stage. Anyone else hear or see anything??

Nothing in the Metar about it.

METAR EIDW 160500Z 13022KT 9999 FEW012 SCT020CB BKN040 12/10
    Q0999 NOSIG=

METAR EIDW 160530Z 15016G28KT 110V190 5000 -SHRA FEW008 SCT018CB
    BKN035 11/09 Q0999 NOSIG

METAR EIDW 160600Z 15012KT 9999 -SHRA FEW008 SCT018CB BKN035
    11/10 Q0998 NOSIG=

METAR EIDW 160630Z 14011KT 9999 -SHRA FEW010 SCT018CB BKN050
    11/08 Q0998 NOSIG=

METAR EIDW 160700Z 14014KT 9999 VCSH FEW010 SCT018CB BKN120
    10/08 Q0998 NOSIG=

Blitzortung above shows a number of strikes over Dublin bay just after 7am

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

c62bFPg.png

Day 1 Convective Outlook
    VALID 06:00 UTC Sun 16 Oct 2016 - 05:59 UTC Mon 17 Oct 2016

ISSUED 08:16 UTC Sun 16 Oct 2016

ISSUED BY: Dan

Broad upper low over Ireland will drift northwards through Sunday, eventually merging with the trough south of Greenland by the end of Sunday night. Cold mid-levels, associated with this feature, atop warm SSTs will generate deep convection over seas initially, but this then feeding inland by steering winds. The main hazards will be small hail and gusty winds with the most intense cells - a tornado cannot be ruled out. However, some elements of shower-training increases the threat of local flash flooding, especially on windward coasts where showers are most frequent.

QQnlDWL.png

JYRoVwn.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

calm condition here in Castlebar as the low moves over, the center of the low currently between sligo and enniskillen, giving a strong southerly airflow over dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I saw one flash after the torrential rain woke me up, I didn't realise it was as late as 7am but of course its dark at that time now.
    I didn't hear thunder though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭pad199207

After seeing huge flash of lightning from Naas from a cell over Irish Sea

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭emo72

pad199207 wrote: »
    After seeing huge flash of lightning from Naas from a cell over Irish Sea

saw it too from celbridge at approx 1840. epic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

Seeing lightning here too out over Arklow Bay

• Advertisement

That cell over the Irish sea has been putting on an impressive show for a while now. Its just off the coast of Holyhead. The heights of the anvils are particularly high

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Saw the impressive updraft as i was heading for dinner with the family... knew it would be putting out sparks soon later. Sad that I didn't get to see any of it :( ... Luckily the steak I had was perfection :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Surprised we are not seeing some sferics off the W and NW

FBg528u.gif?1

Still firing away...

ZpuA1bC.png?1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Heighway61

I notice that the ATD radar that netweather and other sites use is borked this past month or so. Picking up very little and what it does show are old, 30 mins to 1 hour. Suprised at the Met Office.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Still firing away...

ZpuA1bC.png?1
    I was travelling on the A55 from Colwyn Bay to Holyhead between 9:00pm & 10:00pm Sunday night and we had a nice show to see although it was cloudy the effects made for some nice viewing.

I wonder will we see a few sporadic thundery showers on Fri, marginal perhaps . Met Eireann already talking about hail showers. Perhaps a few sparks coming into the NW and Western coastal counties?

QVQe4mn.gif

OGkjkcA.png?1

QVQe4mn.gif

6aeBrLf.png

Met Eireann saying a risk of Thunder, Weds, Thurs and Fri , Northern and Western areas from big showers coming in off the Atlantic it would seem. Could be some big hail showers.

xOgOuOn.png?1

HY3U43I.png

Quite a few sferics in the seas around Iceland today as the Wind there turns more Northerly over the relatively warm seas, even though not much CAPE.

Thurs and more so early Fri morning looking like a fair chance of Sferics for us on the NW and W coasts with big showers moving through ( some no doubt of hail ), Will be very blustery in the showers, perhaps a squall line ???

NXXjMEZ.gif

O1JXGa8.png?1

Y11QZZ3.png

bes90SM.png

nasWsAu.png
    DNZmtoy.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

A couple of lightning bolts lighting up the sky just outside Gort

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,190 ✭✭✭✭km79

WOW
    The WHoLE house vibrated from thunder
    Woke us all
    Never happened before in the 10 years I'm living here
    Electricity flicked just before
    East Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Straight line wind event went through wales awhile ago.. lots of tree damage and some wooden roofs taken off. 94mph wind gust recorded.

https://twitter.com/hashtag/Aberystwyth?src=hash

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

km79 wrote: »
    WOW
    The WHoLE house vibrated from thunder
    Woke us all
    Never happened before in the 10 years I'm living here
    Electricity flicked just before
    East Galway

Great! Must have been very localised, I was up at that time and it was nice and quite over my way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I was up early also thought I saw a dull blue flash in the City, Coastguard helicopter Rescue 118 was lifting from UHG at the time in torrential rain , very brave crews flying in the Rescue helicopters.

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Straight line wind event went through wales awhile ago.. lots of tree damage and some wooden roofs taken off. 94mph wind gust recorded.

Some more pics from BBC Wales

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-38014691

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Storm 10 wrote: »
    I was up early also thought I saw a dull blue flash in the City, Coastguard helicopter Rescue 118 was lifting from UHG at the time in torrential rain , very brave crews flying in the Rescue helicopters.

Was woken up by a helicopter flying directly over my house between 6.05 and 6.10 this morning. Not sure what direction it was flying but guessing it was the same one you speak off.

New Moon

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Was woken up by a helicopter flying directly over my house between 6.05 and 6.10 this morning. Not sure what direction it was flying but guessing it was the same one you speak off.

Yes it was the Coastguard helicopter Rescue 118 they done a transfer from Letterkenny hospital to UHG , you can follow them when they are airborne on the Marine Traffic app they show up as SAR .

http://www.marinetraffic.com/

Plenty of Sferics around today , mostly over water. When the clouds clear enough can see CB's moving inland. Picked up many hail showers here today in Tralee. Pic of Mammatus clouds on the underbelly of a CB over Tralee a short time ago.

F08o2L1.gif

ilM4q6Q.jpg?1

Iancar29 wrote: »

From NetWeather

Tornado damage for Wales and England reported today

Thursday 17th November has seen violent weather passing over Wales and England with distinct lines of squally showers moving west to east. Within these bands, there have been torrential downpours, strong gusty winds, hail, lightning and likely tornadic activity.

1DJTGlR.png?1

The Netweather radar image from mid morning shows a hook or comma shape often linked with tornadic activity, with bright colours showing intense rainfall, especially where the white colours exist.

There are reports of a small tornado near Aberystwyth, and nearby Clarach Beach RNLI station recorded a gust of 94mph. Roads have been closed in Wales due to fallen trees and there have been some interruptions to power

Thomas Scarrot from Clarach Bay was interviewed and said

"all of a sudden it desceded into utter carnage. There were caravans being thrown round, there was debris being thrown everywhere. it was quite scary!"

The Holiday village had 15 to 20 caravans turned over.

VZNWY0r.jpg?1

7QXfJPF.png?1

• Advertisement

Thunder and lightning here near Tralee atm followed by a gust.......waiting for the hail .

Electricity went out for a moment earlier this evening.

Advertisement