Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,383 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

This is getting worse than the McGregor thread lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Gamebred wrote: »
    How many rowing clubs are there in Ireland?

Just sent a text to friend who is involved in Rowing and he said about 70 or 80 official and affiliated clubs in Ireland. There are also a few unofficial ones and newly formed ones that arent as of yet afiliated to whatever the governing body is in Ireland.

As far as I know a lot them would be University clubs and there are the likes of the Guards club but for the most part they are all clubs that anyone can join.

martyos121 wrote: »
    This is getting worse than the McGregor thread lads.

Yup. Precisely what I wanted to avoid by bringing up the topic here instead of the McGregor thread. Had hoped for a discussion on the sports personality awards but it seems that when you mention McGregor anywhere on this forum, insanity reigns!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭finglashoop

John_D80 wrote: »
    Yup. Precisely what I wanted to avoid by bringing up the topic here instead of the McGregor thread. Had hoped for a discussion on the sports personality awards but it seems that when you mention McGregor anywhere on this forum, insanity reigns!!!

Its ridiculous alright. What does the amount of rowing clubs matter?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Its ridiculous alright. What does the amount of rowing clubs matter?

Well we were discussing the popularity of the sport so number of clubs are relevant, I take his word for it on the figure fair play didnt think there was as many.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Well we were discussing the popularity of the sport so number of clubs are relevant, I take his word for it on the figure fair play didnt think there was as many.

Gamebred why do you always have to initiate arguments with other posters? It's tiresome to constantly read your petty bickerings on a daily basis with other posters.

You constantly talk about bums, cans, nobodies, this sport is rubbish etc. You must get tired of having to tell us all that your opinions are correct and ours are wrong?

Ok so then ask how many people actually participate. You talked down a sport you know f all about.

Whelo79 wrote: »
    Gamebred why do you always have to initiate arguments with other posters? It's tiresome to constantly read your petty bickerings on a daily basis with other posters.

You constantly talk about bums, cans, nobodies, this sport is rubbish etc. You must get tired of having to tell us all that your opinions are correct and ours are wrong?

Why do follow me around?
    Ok so then ask how many people actually participate. You talked down a sport you know f all about.

Is this a joke? the number of club would indicate the interest in the sport ffs wakey wakey.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

67777103.jpg

Why do follow me around?

Is this a joke? the number of club would indicate the interest in the sport ffs wakey wakey.

Not really.

You could have 100 clubs each wit 10 people.

Or you could have 32 clubs with a 1000 members each.

Anyway i actually meant how many people take part in the sport

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Not really.

I'd imagine the participation in mma/rowing probably arent that far apart when you toke out people that just do bjj/muai thai etc. but the big difference is people who'll tune in but dont participate. mma is a better spectator sport by far, unless you compete in rowing or that its boring as fcuk but for the most part someone who doesn't understand mma can flick over to a fight and be quite entertained. in terms of pure excitement theres no sport that comes close to mma in my opinion.

Not really.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Why do follow me around?

Just lighten up a bit and ease off the pubescent teenager like aggression.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

John_D80 wrote:
    Putting this here in the hope that it will fly under the radar of some of the complete headbangers that comment in the McGregor Thread, and also because it involves mostly other sports and I dont think there is a demand for camogie/Rowing chat in the other threads!!

What did you learn ;) haha

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Vital Transformation

The UFC promoted a vote for Conor in the RTE award through their Facebook account. He'll win in a landslide, no other nominee has that kind of promotional power.

The UFC promoted a vote for Conor in the RTE award through their Facebook account. He'll win in a landslide, no other nominee has that kind of promotional power.

He has refused to show up before to RTE for an awards ceremony, it wont look good if he wins and isnt there, they will fix it for one of them culchie rowers.

What did you learn ;) haha

Yeah you'd think I've been around here long enough to know better.

Oh well. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

John_D80 wrote:
    Yeah you'd think I've been around here long enough to know better.

As long as you're not talking about Macman you're safe ;)

As long as you're not talking about Macman you're safe ;)

Yeah seems even the off topic thread is not safe!! Forum in general is gone plum crazy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

He has refused to show up before to RTE for an awards ceremony, it wont look good if he wins and isnt there, they will fix it for one of them culchie rowers.

It's a public vote :confused:

I don't think Ray D'arcy has the intelligence to rig that :D

Why did he refuse to show up? I would have thought he would have had a good relationship with RTE.

I think McGregor will win but there's some fantastic achievements by other sports people on that list.

On the MMA v Irish media thing people have to remember that pre McGregor's success the UFC was just a TV/Internet provider with ****ty customer service to 99% of the population, possibly more!

• Advertisement

CatFromHue wrote: »
    It's a public vote :confused:

I don't think Ray D'arcy has the intelligence to rig that :D

Why did he refuse to show up? I would have thought he would have had a good relationship with RTE.

Ha RTE are rancid they've been voting polls and call in's for years wouldnt trust that establishment,

No idea think he told them he wanted money to appear or something.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

He wanted money to appear at the UFC fighter awards in America, or so that's how the rumour goes, never heard him asking RTE for money.

McGregor mightn't have gone last year as it the Saturday after his Aldo fight so mightn't have been in the country.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    He wanted money to appear at the UFC fighter awards in America, or so that's how the rumour goes, never heard him asking RTE for money.

McGregor mightn't have gone last year as it the Saturday after his Aldo fight so mightn't have been in the country.

https://www.facebook.com/thenotoriousmma/posts/975081342560165

He's not actually saying that he wanted money off RTE to go to the awards there.

He's doing a plug for his new show that will bring him in some cash.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Depp wrote: »
    I'd imagine the participation in mma/rowing probably arent that far apart when you toke out people that just do bjj/muai thai etc. but the big difference is people who'll tune in but dont participate. mma is a better spectator sport by far, unless you compete in rowing or that its boring as fcuk but for the most part someone who doesn't understand mma can flick over to a fight and be quite entertained. in terms of pure excitement theres no sport that comes close to mma in my opinion.
    Unfortunately, there's a lot of people who will refuse to watch mma simply due to the violence though. Plenty of older people, and hell I had a lot of trouble convincing my friends to watch mma with me until McG came along

As for excitement, for me it can be great, but for every 3 round war I've seen too many 15 minute Jon Fitch blankethons or GSP jabfests.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,482 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Since it's a one-click 'free to vote' format it pretty much guarantees RTÉ will give the award to whomever they want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

callaway92 wrote: »
    Since it's a one-click 'free to vote' format it pretty much guarantees RTÉ will give the award to whomever they want.

Yeah, that and there's no provision to limit to one vote per athlete.

I voted for Conor 17 times. For the craic.

As for Conor winning due to Promotional Push..... Not so sure. I would have thought Win Or Learn would have beaten Paul O'Connell's at the Book Awards, purely down to Conor pushing the vote for the book.

I'd be fairly confident if it was up to RTE to skew a poll or if they could give it to the person of their choice it'd be the lads from Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,190 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

As for excitement, for me it can be great, but for every 3 round war I've seen too many 15 minute Jon Fitch blankethons or GSP jabfests.
    Does that not apply to most sports?

For every 3-2 end to send football match. There's multiple 0-0 draws

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Mellor wrote: »
    Does that not apply to most sports?

For every 3-2 end to send football match. There's multiple 0-0 draws
    Of course, it's why I'd be loath to say any sport is the most exciting.

• Advertisement

Katie Taylor should be in the ring soon. Anyone else watching?

Advertisement