Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Robbie brady for scoring a header ? Really?

Yup, so it seems.

Now I'll admit I'm no soccer fan so forgive my ignorance if I cant think of anything significant he (or any irish soccer player) has done of note in the last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭finglashoop

John_D80 wrote: »
    Yup, so it seems.

Now I'll admit I'm no soccer fan so forgive my ignorance if I cant think of anything significant he (or any irish soccer player) has done of note in the last year.

Nope. No ignorance. Scored a header at the euros< 2 world titles .

People need to look past mma. If it is a sporting achievement i think one of the rwoing brothers also won a singles world title. If its personality well mcgregor has more than all them put together in terms of fans media attention etc.

Nope. No ignorance. Scored a header at the euros< 2 world titles .

People need to look past mma. If it is a sporting achievement i think one of the rwoing brothers also won a singles world title. If its personality well mcgregor has more than all them put together in terms of fans media attention etc.

In terms of personality, if that is even a consideration, Paul O'Donovan has probably eclipsed McGregor on that front as well IMO. Remember this is an Irish award we are talking about, not International. Mcgregors personality and public persona grates a lot of Irish people and an awful lot of Irish media as we know only too well. I'm 99% sure the winner is selected by the public but open to correction on this.

Paul O'Donovan won a European Gold and Olympic Silver with the brother and a solo gold in the worlds.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Who da fook is Paul O'Donovan?

In all seriousness nobody gives a rats ass about rowing have never met a single person that knows anything about it complete nonsense if these boys win it but who cares really, Dunphy is trying to stir controversy its why RTE employ him he knows theres always a backlash when McGregor is talked about negatively in the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,189 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

McGregor is the overwhelming favourite to win btw
    https://sports.paddypower.mobi/#sport/58/competition/1415/event/11567600

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    McGregor is the overwhelming favourite to win btw
    https://sports.paddypower.mobi/#sport/58/competition/1415/event/11567600

That is surprising indeed. Thought O'Donovan would blitz it tbh.

Would love to see the look on Dunphys face if he wins. And also read his response article!!

Is there anything to be said for the fact that McG would probably have the social media angle sewn up and votes secured there, while O'Donovan would probably be more of a favourite with those less likely to bother voting?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Is there anything to be said for the fact that McG would probably have the social media angle sewn up and votes secured there, while O'Donovan would probably be more of a favourite with those less likely to bother voting?

when anything like this is a public vote its basically a popularity contest, while in my opinion conor should win on his achievements alone, when you compare O'donovan and mcgregor conor is exponentially more popular, its barely a comparison at all

Depp wrote: »
    when anything like this is a public vote its basically a popularity contest, while in my opinion conor should win on his achievements alone, when you compare O'donovan and mcgregor conor is exponentially more popular, its barely a comparison at all

Really? I dont know much about much but I genuinely would have thought O'Donovan would be the more popular choice among Irish sportsfans. As much as I like the O'Donovan brothers, I am delighted this is not the case. What a turnaround in public opinion. Fantastic.

I'm sure it will be a very proud moment for him (McGregor) if he wins.

I do believethough, O'Donovan is one of the few on that list whose sporting achievements this year match McGregors. And like Mcgregor, his best is yet to come surely.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Gamebred wrote: »
    Who da fook is Paul O'Donovan?

In all seriousness nobody gives a rats ass about rowing have never met a single person that knows anything about it complete nonsense if these boys win it but who cares really, Dunphy is trying to stir controversy its why RTE employ him he knows theres always a backlash when McGregor is talked about negatively in the media.

Please don't do that.

I'd like to see McGregor win it as much as anyone else here but please don't run down another sport, a professional athlete & his achievements (which are impressive) because they don't hold your interest.

We're all exceptionally critical of the way MMA & Conor McGregor are treated in mainstream media or by people who don't understand & run down the sport. It works both ways.

• Advertisement

Really? I dont know much about much but I genuinely would have thought O'Donovan would be the more popular choice among Irish sportsfans. As much as I like the O'Donovan brothers, I am delighted this is not the case. What a turnaround in public opinion. Fantastic.

I'm sure it will be a very proud moment for him (McGregor) if he wins.

I do believethough, O'Donovan is one of the few on that list whose sporting achievements this year match McGregors. And like Mcgregor, his best is yet to come surely.

hes popular no doubt, and an olympic silver medal is nothing to be sniffed at but in terms of mainstream popularity theres no comparison, look at twitter followers for example, o'donovan-7801, mcgregor-3.06 million, theyre not even nearly in the same category

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭finglashoop

In terms of personality, if that is even a consideration, Paul O'Donovan has probably eclipsed McGregor on that front as well IMO. Remember this is an Irish award we are talking about, not International. Mcgregors personality and public persona grates a lot of Irish people and an awful lot of Irish media as we know only too well. I'm 99% sure the winner is selected by the public but open to correction on this.

Paul O'Donovan won a European Gold and Olympic Silver with the brother and a solo gold in the worlds.

Has he though?

During the olympics i heard about both brothers. Then i heard one won the worlds. Two single achievements. Granted i dont follow rowing but i actively try and ignore the furore around mcgregor which is hard in itself. I would say for his sport mcgregor has done more and his presence is more noticable.

There are other sportspeople copying him (vince mcmahons) strut

Most things he says are shared and giffed (if thats even a word) all over the place. Hes nearly unavoidable

TherapyBoy wrote: »
    Please don't do that.

I'd like to see McGregor win it as much as anyone else here but please don't run down another sport, a professional athlete & his achievements (which are impressive) because they don't hold your interest.

We're all exceptionally critical of the way MMA & Conor McGregor are treated in mainstream media or by people who don't understand & run down the sport. It works both ways.

Never slagged the sport or was critical of it so dont get your knickers in a twist, I said who cares about it? literally nobody ive ever met knows a thing about professional canoeing Im sure its a serious difficult and physical sport but its less known that mma, Its a nothing award anyways and I expect them to win it as RTE know McGregor wont bother showing up to collect his award so they will make sure O Donovan wins or someone else.

hes popular no doubt, and an olympic silver medal is nothing to be sniffed at but in terms of mainstream popularity theres no comparison, look at twitter followers for example, o'donovan-7801, mcgregor-3.06 million, theyre not even nearly in the same category
    Has he though?

During the olympics i heard about both brothers. Then i heard one won the worlds. Two single achievements. Granted i dont follow rowing but i actively try and ignore the furore around mcgregor which is hard in itself. I would say for his sport mcgregor has done more and his presence is more noticable.

There are other sportspeople copying him (vince mcmahons) strut

Most things he says are shared and giffed (if thats even a word) all over the place. Hes nearly unavoidable

I suppose its a very difficult thing to quantify. On a global scale McGregor is far and away one of the most popular and recognisable athletes in the world. I do think its fair to say he is not as well liked in his own country as he is outside of it.

While numbers twitter followers is of course significant as an indication of international fame, its still by no means a proportional representation of their comparative popularity in this country. In terms of Social Media activity they are polar opposites.

A social media poll would easily have McGregor as a clear winner but the margins would be different if the poll was conducted on the streets of Ireland among a broad and diverse demographic encompassing people of all ages. Not saying O'Donovan would win but it would be different.

And yes while I would agree that McGregor has done more for his sport I would also be of the opinion that O'Donovan has done more as a representative of the country. Another factor that was considereed when selecting nominees.

Never slagged the sport or was critical of it so dont get your knickers in a twist, I said who cares about it? literally nobody ive ever met knows a thing about professional canoeing Im sure its a serious difficult and physical sport but its less known that mma, Its a nothing award anyways and I expect them to win it as RTE know McGregor wont bother showing up to collect his award so they will make sure O Donovan wins or someone else.

You may not have slagged it off but you were (and are) very quick to dismiss it because of your ignorance of it. Rowing is one of the oldest sports in the world and is very popular in Ireland. There are also nearly 100 clubs all around the country. It is always very popular during the olympics and the University boat race in London is one of the most viewed sporting events in the UK every year. Nearly 20million people tuned in in 2015 in the UK alone.

Most rowing fans or rowing club members in Ireland wouldn't know many people involved in MMA.

I would be confident in saying that there are many times more people in this country that have trained in Rowing than have trained in MMA. And many more Irish people will have watched a Rowing race than have watched MMA. You might think rowing is less well known but it has a far broader appeal than MMA ever will.

FWIW I'm not a super huge rowing fan, just a keen observer but I'm also a realist. To be fair you dont really know much about what you are commenting on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,482 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

You may not have slagged it off but you were (and are) very quick to dismiss it because of your ignorance of it. Rowing is one of the oldest sports in the world and is very popular in Ireland. There are also nearly 100 clubs all around the country. It is always very popular during the olympics and the University boat race in London is one of the most viewed sporting events in the UK every year. Nearly 20million people tuned in in 2015 in the UK alone.

Most rowing fans or rowing club members in Ireland wouldn't know many people involved in MMA.

I would be confident in saying that there are many times more people in this country that have trained in Rowing than have trained in MMA. And many more Irish people will have watched a Rowing race than have watched MMA. You might think rowing is less well known but it has a far broader appeal than MMA ever will.

FWIW I'm not a super huge rowing fan, just a keen observer but I'm also a realist. To be fair you dont really know much about what you are commenting on.

giphy.gif

callaway92 wrote: »
    giphy.gif

Outstanding contribution. Thanks.

to be fair to o'donovan aswel, important to note when we're discussing popularity, no-ones staying up till 5 in the morning to watch a rowing race. was one thing I noticed during the olympics aswel out of every ten people i encountered going on about how great the two lads were, roughly 1 maybe 2 of them had actually seen the race

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I suppose its a very difficult thing to quantify. On a global scale McGregor is far and away one of the most popular and recognisable athletes in the world. I do think its fair to say he is not as well liked in his own country as he is outside of it.

While numbers twitter followers is of course significant as an indication of international fame, its still by no means a proportional representation of their comparative popularity in this country. In terms of Social Media activity they are polar opposites.

A social media poll would easily have McGregor as a clear winner but the margins would be different if the poll was conducted on the streets of Ireland among a broad and diverse demographic encompassing people of all ages. Not saying O'Donovan would win but it would be different.

And yes while I would agree that McGregor has done more for his sport I would also be of the opinion that O'Donovan has done more as a representative of the country. Another factor that was considereed when selecting nominees.

It's really hard to quantify popularity alright, I wouldn't say McGregor is even the most well known mma fighter in the world, 40 million people watched soo Chul Kim at Road FC 32 and I doubt anyone here has ever even heard of him :pac:

I am really surprised actually that they made it an online poll, these things are always rigged and this one is not even region blocked or anything

to be fair to o'donovan aswel, important to note when we're discussing popularity, no-ones staying up till 5 in the morning to watch a rowing race. was one thing I noticed during the olympics aswel out of every ten people i encountered going on about how great the two lads were, roughly 1 maybe 2 of them had actually seen the race

Very true.

I think its a common thing with any sports person that becomes a mainstream ''celebrity'', however fleeting or permanent that celebrity is. These days you dont even have to watch a sportsperson compete to call yourself a fan!!

• Advertisement

Absolute rubbish no idea why you are being offended on rowers behalf anyways the 2 boys are nobodies in comparison come back when there is que's outside their hotel and 15 thousand people in a different country coming to see them the day before they compete, I know nothing about rowing so I wont pretend to the only time ive seen it on tv is the olympics every 4 years where as mma has been on terrestial tv here.

Absolute rubbish no idea why you are being offended on rowers behalf anyways the 2 boys are nobodies in comparison come back when there is que's outside their hotel and 15 thousand people in a different country coming to see them the day before they compete, I know nothing about rowing so I wont pretend to the only time ive seen it on tv is the olympics every 4 years where as mma has been on terrestial tv here.

Take it easy man, I'm not offended in the slightest.

What exactly do you think is absolute rubbish in the post? For the most part what I wrote is facts. Just trying to set you straight somewhat on the level of popularity of rowing in this country. You obviously know nothing about it and have some very ill conceived notions of its popularity seemingly based purely on the fact that you or no one you know is interested in it. I'm sure you dont know very many people who are interested in Ice Hockey but that doesn't mean its not popular.

You might be very surprised to learn MMA isn't very popular in Ireland either. By comparison to some other sports the interest levels in MMA are miniscule. Dont confuse interest in McGregor with interest in his sport.

To be fair you are not comparing like with like at all. McGregor is global sporting megastar with a suitable PR machine behind him and by far the most famous athlete nominated. Paul O'Donovan is an amateur sportsman and student. You can go on all you want about people queuing up outside a hotel but that in itself is not a sporting accomplishment, merely a by product of his accomplishments.

Take it easy man, I'm not offended in the slightest.

What exactly do you think is absolute rubbish in the post? For the most part what I wrote is facts. Just trying to set you straight somewhat on the level of popularity of rowing in this country. You obviously know nothing about it and have some very ill conceived notions of its popularity seemingly based purely on the fact that you or no one you know is interested in it. I'm sure you dont know very many people who are interested in Ice Hockey but that doesn't mean its not popular.

You might be very surprised to learn MMA isn't very popular in Ireland either. By comparison to some other sports the interest levels in MMA are miniscule. Dont confuse interest in McGregor with interest in his sport.

To be fair you are not comparing like with like at all. McGregor is global sporting megastar with a suitable PR machine behind him and by far the most famous athlete nominated. Paul O'Donovan is an amateur sportsman and student. You can go on all you want about people queuing up outside a hotel but that in itself is not a sporting accomplishment, merely a by product of his accomplishments.

You had never heard of these 2 boys before August 2016 lets be real here, I dont even think there is a rowing forum on here its never been on tele because nobody cares about it thats also stating facts, again its all irrelevant anyways couldnt care to waste more time debating it we have opposite opinions no big deal have a good day.

You had never heard of these 2 boys before August 2016 lets be real here, I dont even think there is a rowing forum on here its never been on tele because nobody cares about it thats also stating facts, again its all irrelevant anyways couldnt care to waste more time debating it we have opposite opinions no big deal have a good day.

Em sorry to burst your misconceptions but yes I had heard about them long before August 2016. Very blinkered of you to be so dismissive of something that you freely admit to knowing nothing about.

The presence or lack of a Rowing forum, or the level of exposure the sport gets on television is irrelevant to the athletes achievements. Again I think you are confusing fame with actual accomplishments here.

Em sorry to burst your misconceptions but yes I had heard about them long before August 2016. Very blinkered of you to be so dismissive of something that you freely admit to knowing nothing about.

The presence or lack of a Rowing forum, or the level of exposure the sport gets on television is irrelevant to the athletes achievements. Again I think you are confusing fame with actual accomplishments here.

You argued how popular the sport is, I counter argued my point about no tv no forums nothing no coverage in the press any day of the week in any paper that I've seen.

Outstanding contribution. Thanks.

You were talking complete brown. I actually couldn't think of something to say because what you wrote so so incredibly wrong.

You argued how popular the sport is, I counter argued my point about no tv no forums nothing no coverage in the press any day of the week in any paper that I've seen.

Yes and just trying to make the point that it is a lot more popular than you seem to think it is just because you dont know anybody who is into it.

Of all the sports nominated in this years list there are quite a few obscure and less popular sports.

callaway92 wrote: »
    You were talking complete brown. I actually couldn't think of something to say because what you wrote so so incredibly wrong.

Another gem. Without any actual points of your own, this post is about as empty and pointless as the ''hilarious'' gif you posted.

Well done mate. You're on fire today.

Another gem. Without any actual points of your own, this post is about as empty and pointless as the ''hilarious'' gif you posted.

Well done mate. You're on fire today.

Indeed

• Advertisement

Yes and just trying to make the point that it is a lot more popular than you seem to think it is just because you dont know anybody who is into it.

Of all the sports nominated in this years list there are quite a few obscure and less popular sports.

How many rowing clubs are there in Ireland?

Advertisement