Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I finally succeeded in making Yorkshire pudding - a large one! I don’t know if it is as puffy as it should be but it was lovely and crispy and the interior was bready and not soggy. The oil didn’t impregnate it so it must have been the right temperature. I was going to make toad in the hole but I actually don’t like baked sausages so I just fried them separately. Had with broccoli and ketchup. The bubbles on top are just oil that went over the batter when I poured it into the dish.

B74-EA84-B-C641-4811-95-D7-2381-D40-AB74-D.jpg

^^^^ I did a few things differently this time that I think helped it along if anyone is interested. I didn’t add mustard or mustard powder like a lot of recipes tell you to. I think that might have made a difference, made the mixture lighter. I put in slightly more milk than flour so that it was very runny. After mixing, I whisked it with the hand blender to make it very smooth. And rested the batter in the fridge for an hour or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Grated nutmeg works well in yorkies. White pepper too.

The Nal wrote: »
    Grated nutmeg works well in yorkies. White pepper too.

Darn, I actually had whole nutmeg in the house! Thanks for the tip, will defo try that next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Darn, I actually had whole nutmeg in the house! Thanks for the tip, will defo try that next time.

ah no; sweet and simple is grand ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Agree. But very bold.:D

This evening it was a dinner based on quick and convenient. Chicken wraps filled with mixed peppers, spicy cheese and sweet chilli sauce. More sweet chilli sauce on top too. Birdseye spicy wedges. Rocket leaves with some red bell pepper and french dressing. A bit of potato salad to cool things down. Once again, only the Air Fryer and George Foreman. Done in 15 mins.

Attachment not found.

Like that, I only had to cook for two tonight as the kids all ate earlier in fhe grandparents, so it was a quick and easy one for me too.

Seen it in the Aldi booklet this week as a meal suggestion.

They had Hake, but I used Mediterranean style cod fillets, baked in the oven for 15 mins or so.

Couscous in a bowl with boiling water poured over, and covered.

Sliced up a good 10cm of chorizo, and saut in a pan, then added some frozen garden peas, stirred well and then tipped in the couscous and stirred it all up with a couple of spoons of chopped coriander.

For a dipping sauce I stirred in a spoon of mint sauce into some natural yoghurt.

Served the fish on top of the couscous.

It was absolutely savage, not something I would ever have thought of myself, but quick easy and absolutely delicious, prob overall pretty healthy too.

Didn't get a chance to photograph it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Chicken with some nice yorkies and spuds. Following Tom Kerridges recipe on the spuds. Poach for a while, cool on rack and then in the oven. I add a shítload of garlic, thyme, bay and a splash of red wine vinegar.

Screenshot-20190828-110420-com-google-android-apps-photos-1.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

This auld paella tin was in the shed for a few years..........
    No mussels in Dunnes this morning :(

7HBtnNBl.jpg

Howya Domino's.......

vuIOmdWl.jpg

0a4Zypzl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 68,505 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Did pizzas the last two days myself - found I have to do two days to get value out of the toppings; one box of passata will do 4; one pack of pepperoni will do 2 and so on.

Pepperoni and sweet chilli chicken, nothing particularly complicated

• Advertisement

Above, one tin of tomatoes +onion garlic will do 3.
    Mozzarella balls, 59c.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

aQeS250.jpg?1

Cacio e pepe. Took all of about 5 minutes, but seriously tasty nonetheless in it's simplicity.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Made bread for the first time, sourdough. Took about a month to get the starter ready for me.

pURqJh4l.jpg

ZXG08syl.jpg

d6D1YStl.jpg

Had it with avocado of course :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,403 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

^ Welcome to the sourdough fan club.

Here’s a great recipe for fougasse that can be made on the same day. You can add olives as shown or chopped sun-dried tomatoes. It’s a great tear and share, everyone loves it! :)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/olive_sourdough_fougasse_26097

Enjoy!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

That sounds great thank you!

That sounds great thank you!

Try and get your hands on a plastic bread scraper like this

https://www.nisbets.ie/vogue-plain-plastic-dough-scraper/e401?vatToggle=incvat&gclid=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIr67Oweuy5AIViLHtCh0L2w6SEAQYASABEgIde_D_BwE&cm_mmc=PLA-_-1503965431-_-53416676850-_-E401&cm_mmca1=go_1503965431_53416676850_287143884901_pla-573594004932_m_

As you’ve probably realised sourdough is really difficult to work with. The scraper helps and it’s great for making the cuts in the fougasse.

As for dinner tonight, went for something completely different and made a Fesenjoon - a Middle Eastern chicken dish.

0-D241-B76-44-DB-452-F-95-AA-8783-F1-E52217.jpg

Mine was super wet and hard to deal with, i ended up kneading it for over an hour! One of those would be good, instead of wetting my hands all the time.

Mine was super wet and hard to deal with, i ended up kneading it for over an hour! One of those would be good, instead of wetting my hands all the time.

Get a mixer with dough hooks. 5 minutes, done! :)

Got a large casserole full of something approaching a beef bourguignon - but with more mushrooms than normal - in the oven currently.

Supervalu had a pack of prepped "speciality" mushrooms - nothing too nuts - shiitake, oyster, chestnut only I think, I'd never normally buy preprepped veg but decided to give it a go. Put some conventional mushrooms in also. Was out last night so woke up late and had breakfast at 12 and lunch at 3, so if I remember I'll report back on how it tastes at about 10pm :pac:

One mushroom was inedible rubber, not even cuttable with a knife; and the taste of some of the others was a bit off what you were expecting with the rest of the winey-beefy-super-cooked-down-onions (well, shallots this time) taste. Won't be repeating that, although the rest of it was perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I made a beef & mushroom pie last year with chestnut mushrooms for a change, having never tasted them before. It was awful, we hated the taste of them. I stick to the bog standard ones since.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Have got on the stove one of my staple Autumn-Winter pots: borlotti beans with bacon cubes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Whoops wasn't paying attention and added double the amount of the wrong chilli powder as I like a bit of a kick but am feeling it now, in the curry

s-l640.jpg

Lovely curry though, chicken this week. Beef next and lamb after

http://www.thismuslimgirlbakes.com/2018/09/boneless-lamb-curry.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭Wtf ?

RasTa wrote: »
    Whoops wasn't paying attention and added double the amount of the wrong chilli powder as I like a bit of a kick but am feeling it now, in the curry

s-l640.jpg

Lovely curry though, chicken this week. Beef next and lamb after

http://www.thismuslimgirlbakes.com/2018/09/boneless-lamb-curry.html
    Wiping your ass with a snowball joke springs to mind !

on the stove this evening: beef stew with capers and olives - for a Med twist

Steak / mushroom pies with suet pastry topping,

WPz3tAMl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Lunch earlier was taco shells filled with spicy beef, peppers and kos. Washed down with a Heineken zero.

Having a real beer now.

pot on the stove: lamb ribs with spinach and fresh tomatoes

Vaguest hint of sunlight and heat = "one last" grill firing of the year. Burgers because there was quite limited beef options due to the blockades.

I'm off work early on Thursday (because I'm in early...) and its meant to be OK weather wise also so it'll probably be done again then; may do something slightly more complex and not beef-based!

• Advertisement

Cooking a one-pot with bacon and leeks tonight

Advertisement