Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,403 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Shelves in Aldi seemed full of beef today so I made a vegetarian chilli con carne. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Shelves in Aldi seemed full of beef today so I made a vegetarian chilli con carne. :rolleyes:

My local SV was seriously low on beef products today. It looked very lean. :D My local butcher has reassured me all will be well, but we're a bigger chicken house here anyway.

Dinners tonight....

Bangers and Mash with gravy for not so little G. Carbonara and side salad for Mrs G and I'm about to have mash, turnip, peas and stuffed pork chop.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭Wtf ?

otnomart wrote: »
    Cooking a one-pot with bacon and leeks tonight
    how do you cook leeks, just on their own, Oven in foil ?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Wtf ? wrote: »
    I have never bought fresh leeks in my life. I always buy them frozen and already chopped.

Sorry ! Hopefully someone else have tips for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Wtf ? wrote: »

Nah chop them into inch lengths on the diagonal and fry them gently for 10 or 15 mins, or until soft ish.

Or chuck them in with the bacon etc in the pot. They're easy to cook and delicious, and cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,505 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Just did gas grilled steaks today cause SuperValu had decent stock again; and sometimes I've no imagination at all.

Cannot get powdered pepper sauces to thicken to any acceptable level - either by following instructions or using all milk. Do I have to pile in flour or cornstarch or have I somehow misread every packet ever? The likely of making it myself is nil realistically.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭Wtf ?

L1011 wrote: »
    Just did gas grilled steaks today cause SuperValu had decent stock again; and sometimes I've no imagination at all.

Cannot get powdered pepper sauces to thicken to any acceptable level - either by following instructions or using all milk. Do I have to pile in flour or cornstarch or have I somehow misread every packet ever? The likely of making it myself is nil realistically.
    Teaspoon of cornflour is your friend !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

auJ6o3v.jpg?1

Lunch today.

Loosely based on Food Wishes 5 minute fish stew. I hadn't any fennel so used fennel seeds toasted a bit, and used white wine vinegar as I had no white wine (can't imagine why).

L1011 wrote: »

Lidl do a sachet of peppercorn sauce (Batts) that you can heat in 20 seconds. A long shelf life on it too and I think only 80c a piece.Lovely kick off it. They have a mushroom version as well. I never use powdered anymore. Swear by the sachets.

on the stove: beef stew with onions, fresh baby tomatoes, olives and capers

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Tis the season for comfort food. We had beef casserole with baby potatoes tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Should have taken a photo but we had slow cooked Moroccan lamb, roast peppers and courgettes, herby lemon cous cous with sultanas and minted creme fraiche. Twas.......Bloody....... Gorgeous!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I made dinner for today last night and had it bubbling in the slow cooker all day.

Went with chilli from the hairy bikers cookbook, I doubled up on everything, and cooked it in two batches as my pan wouldn't be anywhere near large enough to hold all of the ingredients X 2 in the one go.

First chilli batch, I made with stewing beef, the next one was with mince, threw it all in the SC and had it on low for 8hrs.

Can safely say that I have found my new favourite chilli con carne recipe, it was very rich, thick and extremely morish, served it with a single baked spud, and everyone seemed to enjoy it, even the little ones.

Delicious.

Bassfish wrote: »
    Should have taken a photo but we had slow cooked Moroccan lamb, roast peppers and courgettes, herby lemon cous cous with sultanas and minted creme fraiche. Twas.......Bloody....... Gorgeous!

Thanks for inspiration !
    Moroccan-ispired pot this evening: lamb ribs with wild garlic, onions, fresh dates and dried fruit: cramberries and figs

Thanks for inspiration !
    Moroccan-ispired pot this evening: lamb ribs with wild garlic, onions, fresh dates and dried fruit: cramberries and figs

Second time i’ve seen lamb ribs mentioned in the last few days. Is there much meat on them and were they expensive?

Second time i’ve seen lamb ribs mentioned in the last few days. Is there much meat on them and were they expensive?
    That was still me, last week !

I buy them quite regularly as lamb is my favourite meat.

Here (Continental Europe) I find them at the supermarket, they cost about 10 Euro per Kg.
    There is less meat in them compared to cutlets, hence the price.
    They are very tasty though, and handy to buy in small quantities.

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Lidl do a sachet of peppercorn sauce (Batts) that you can heat in 20 seconds. A long shelf life on it too and I think only 80c a piece.Lovely kick off it. They have a mushroom version as well. I never use powdered anymore. Swear by the sachets.

Correction. It's Aldi that sell the sachet of Peppercorn sauce. 90c each. Bramwells. Picked up some nice beef medallions in Lidl today and remembered it's Aldi that do the sauce.

Homemade lasagna today with rocket, coleslaw and skinny fries.

That was still me, last week !

I buy them quite regularly as lamb is my favourite meat.

Here (Continental Europe) I find them at the supermarket, they cost about 10 Euro per Kg.
    There is less meat in them compared to cutlets, hence the price.
    They are very tasty though, and handy to buy in small quantities.

Ok, thanks. Never seen them in a butchers here......

Ok, thanks. Never seen them in a butchers here......

I see,

Maybe you could buy a rack of lamb and then cut it yourself into single ribs ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Tonight I made Chrissy Teigen's spaghetti cacio e pepe from her Cravings book. It's basically spaghetti with bacon, garlic, lemon juice, lots of parmesan, black pepper and wilted rocket. There was also supposed to be red pepper flakes but I had none.
    It was the nicest new dinner I've tried in a very long time, really delicious.

IMG-6936.jpg

• Advertisement

Mrs G. actually complained about the wilted rocket I served tonight with her lasagna. The cheek.:eek: Wilted rocket is much better with a hot dish. Next time I'm buying a head of Ice Berg lettuce and chopping it into big chunks with salad cream and telling her, so that's what you were rared on,:D

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Mrs G. actually complained about the wilted rocket I served tonight with her lasagna. The cheek.:eek: Wilted rocket is much better with a hot dish. Next time I'm buying a head of Ice Berg lettuce and chopping it into big chunks with salad cream and telling her, so that's what you were rared on,:D

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Lentil shepherd's pie. Not only was it very, very tasty but I took a dollop of it, added some fajita seasoning and grated cheese, stuck it on a heel of bread with some garlic mayo and had me the best post-dinner snack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Had a jar of Starwood’s black bean sauce in the back of the press for ages. Used it tonight with chicken, Red peppers, onions and m&s basmati rice. Tasted like best take away ever. Delighted as I’m sworn off take out foods.

This evening I am cooking snails with wild garlic and onions

Pics, s'il vous plait!:D

Pics, s'il vous plait!:D
    Oh no, I don't do pics, too much effort !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Never really understood the attraction to these myself.

Avoided eating them for years but, when I finally had them, they just seemed very uninteresting and a bit pointless?

They are just not very substantive in any way? They don't have seem to have their own flavour (and so are generally served very garlic-y) and they also don't have much in the way of texture or consistency to be interesting?

Open to correction and don't mean to diminish your enjoyment. My mom loves them.

Have been eating them since childhood (same as shellfish) and absolutely love them.
    Love the texture as well, I heard it described often as rubbery but I don't find it that way myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Just curious, could you use slugs instead, there are so many of them around currently. Is there a difference other than the shell which I assume you don't eat?

Advertisement