Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Just curious, could you use slugs instead, there are so many of them around currently. Is there a difference other than the shell which I assume you don't eat?

I think slugs can do some serious damage to you if eaten

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

We had some porchini and truffle ravioli with a homemade sauce, my partners work colleague made us some.

It was awful, really heavy on the truffle. Now I like truffle and porchini but it was over powering on the truffle.

Should have just stuck to the steak we were planning on having.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Just curious, could you use slugs instead, there are so many of them around currently. Is there a difference other than the shell which I assume you don't eat?

Oh they're lovely. Slowly fried in garlic and butter.
    I do in me hole :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,859 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

otnomart wrote: »
    This evening I am cooking snails with wild garlic and onions

Where are you getting wild garlic in September?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,623 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Bibimbap . Beef marinated in gochujang, soy etc, rice, egg, carrot, shiitake mushrooms, scallions, sprouts, bok choi and a nice spicy sauce.

IMG-20190925-195601.jpg

• Advertisement

The Nal wrote: »
    Beef bulgogi. Beef marinated in gochujang, soy etc, rice, egg, carrot, shiitake mushrooms, scallions, sprouts, bok choi and a nice spicy sauce.

Oh that looks so good!

I have gochujang in my fridge now, love the stuff, usually use it in stir fried cabbage, but looking for new ways of utilising it.

I have soy too. What else would go in the marinade? Garlic and ginger I presume. I'm out of shaoxing vinegar. I do have mirin, but I don't think it would belong here.

What beef did you use? Steak?

Oh, speaking of soy sauce, my favourite is Clearspring's tamari. Bit pricey and not easy to find, but worth seeking out (worth a thread of it's own, Asian food brands).

My plan for this evening is to make chickpeas and spinach. Love it. Going to add fresh grated tomato and lots of garlic and smoked paprika.

Alongside kippers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

I buy it: it comes in a glass jar and is preserved in olive oil

Ah.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Oh that looks so good!

I have gochujang in my fridge now, love the stuff, usually use it in stir fried cabbage, but looking for new ways of utilising it.

I have soy too. What else would go in the marinade? Garlic and ginger I presume. I'm out of shaoxing vinegar. I do have mirin, but I don't think it would belong here.

What beef did you use? Steak?

Oh, speaking of soy sauce, my favourite is Clearspring's tamari. Bit pricey and not easy to find, but worth seeking out (worth a thread of it's own, Asian food brands).

I used this recipe (ish)

http://www.curiousnut.com/bibimbap-korean-mixed-rice/

Really easy and tasty. Beef was the 28 aged Tesco striploin.

• Advertisement

Home now and checked the brand, it is German and called Bio-Verde.
    Don't know if they sell to UK/Ireland.
    https://www.bio-verde.de/produkte/frischer-barlauch-in-ol-165-g-vegan/

When is wild garlic season ?

I remember smelling it everywhere, driving through the Wicklow mountains.

When is wild garlic season ?

I remember smelling it everywhere, driving through the Wicklow mountains.

Around April/May

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Tonight I made Chrissy Teigen's spaghetti cacio e pepe from her Cravings book. It's basically spaghetti with bacon, garlic, lemon juice, lots of parmesan, black pepper and wilted rocket. There was also supposed to be red pepper flakes but I had none.
    It was the nicest new dinner I've tried in a very long time, really delicious.

I made the traditional version of Cacio e Pepe a couple of weeks ago and I thought it was amazing. So simple but so tasty.

Followed some online recipe and i made a mess of the first attempt. Just winged it for the second attempt and it was spot on.

I love Cacio e Pepe. Nice olive oil and garlic, knob of Kerrygold, pasta water and nice cheese.

On that, I'm noticing a lot of shíte parmesan about at the moment. I'd advise anyone to pay the little extra for a 24 month aged cheese, Tesco finest for example, over the generic stuff that tastes of nothing. You want that chalky, crumbling slightly nutty stuff. The other crap is just bland and a rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Friday night treat. Yorkshire pudding wraps with Steak and Onion Gravy. Roasted Chickpea and Avocado Salad on the side.

E9-F009-CB-4-ED8-4-D59-AA3-A-B418-A40-DE665.jpg

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/yorkshire_pudding_wraps_73052

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭Ryath

Warm Duck salad with fried potato and bacon. Would have liked the duck pinker but it was left over from last night so fried again. Still really tasty though!

491768.jpg

My plan for this evening is to make chickpeas and spinach. Love it. Going to add fresh grated tomato and lots of garlic and smoked paprika.

Alongside kippers.

Not the best photo, but very tasty chickpea and spinach. Tomato and smoked paprika

IMG-20190927-234210.jpg

I made dinner for today last night and had it bubbling in the slow cooker all day.

Went with chilli from the hairy bikers cookbook, I doubled up on everything, and cooked it in two batches as my pan wouldn't be anywhere near large enough to hold all of the ingredients X 2 in the one go.

First chilli batch, I made with stewing beef, the next one was with mince, threw it all in the SC and had it on low for 8hrs.

Can safely say that I have found my new favourite chilli con carne recipe, it was very rich, thick and extremely morish, served it with a single baked spud, and everyone seemed to enjoy it, even the little ones.

Delicious.

Thanks for reminding me, I had not made chilli con carne in ages !
    And only last week the Hairy Bikers cooked one on their new BBC2 programme about the USA.

I have got one on the stove this evening; put fresh baby tomatoes, borlotti beans and beef mince on mine.

And reminding me too.
    Haven't made a beef chilli in ages.

I'd like to try it with stewing beef though, rather than the minced, as I find it a bit goey.

Maybe some pancetta in the mix, and haven't tried the square of dark chocolate trick yet.

Must buy some chipotles in adobo sauce..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,122 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

And reminding me too.
    Haven't made a beef chilli in ages.

I'd like to try it with stewing beef though, rather than the minced, as I find it a bit goey.

Maybe some pancetta in the mix, and haven't tried the square of dark chocolate trick yet.

Must buy some chipotles in adobo sauce..

Beef chilli with stewing beef is fantastic. Takes longer to cook. Add dark chocolate and you are in heaven. I still make it with mince, because my crew here can't handle a beef casserole that's hot. That's what's in their heads.:eek:

Even with the stewing beef, once its cooked down, sour cream and mozzie cheese on top still works. Over nachos or spicey wedges does the trick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,149 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I did a mix of stewing beef and minced beef last time purely because it was what was available (think I mentioned it here)

You can get the stewing beef properly brown and get the maillard generated tastes that are next to impossible to do with mince.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Bean Goulash and mashed potatoes. Winter food.

Kkiq1aC.jpg

This evening: lamb ribs with sundried tomatoes, onions, olives and capers

• Registered Users Posts: 12,122 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

A striploin steak. Onions and button mushrooms in butter and herbs. Skinny fries and pepper sauce.

This evening: quail with bacon cubes.
    As for veg: I will open a tin of artichokes hearts and flavour them with the gravy of the meat.

This evening: quail with bacon cubes.
    As for veg: I will open a tin of artichokes hearts and flavour them with the gravy of the meat.

Have seen tinned artichokes.
    Worth buying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Vegetarian (but not vegan) this evening, roast butternut squash filled with, goat's cheese, walnuts and breadcrumbs, (roasted with plenty of garlic, sage, chili, smoked paprika. Some chicory, fennel and orange salad and rosemary foccacia to scoop out the filling.

Seamai wrote: »
    Vegetarian (but not vegan) this evening, roast butternut squash filled with, goat's cheese, walnuts and breadcrumbs, (roasted with plenty of garlic, sage, chili, smoked paprika. Some chicory, fennel and orange salad and rosemary foccacia to scoop out the filling.

Sounds delish!

Nothing much planned for today.
    I eat whenever I'm hungry.

Having a couple of beers with crisps right now.

Might make a tuna sandwich with some baked beans if I'm peckish later.

Bought some Heinz sandwich spread from Tesco, probably the first time I've had it since a kid in the 80's. Hope it's still as good/bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Had Quorn ragu with spaghetti. Even my very much carnivore dad enjoyed it.

Advertisement