Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Have seen tinned artichokes.
    Worth buying?
    For me: Yes.
    Fresh artichokes are great, but they have a short season, are quite expensive and you pay also for the wastage (external hard leaves).

The ones in oil can be nice, depending on the brand.

But I prefer to buy those tinned in brine and then add a drizzle of olive oil, or eat as a side veg to a meat dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,659 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Red thai curry.

IMG-20191002-200811.jpg

Been working on a paste for a while now and have it down.

10 birdseye chilis
    Small onion
    3 stalks lemongrass
    2 tbsp coriander seeds (toasted and ground)
    1 tbsp cumin seeds (toasted and ground)
    2 tbsp galangal
    1 tbsp coriander stalks
    4 cloves garlic
    2 tsp lemon rind
    2 tsp shrimp paste
    1 tsp white pepper
    1 tsp salt
    Enough water to create a smooth blend. 80ml ish.

Used the Tesco 69c coconut milk. Gets a bit watery if you cook it too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Wow the nal that looks incredible

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

ArtyC wrote: »
    Wow the nal that looks incredible

Sure does.

I get the dried bird's-eye chillies from Tesco.
    Grind them into a powder. Super hot and very fragrant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

Had beans fried with onion, courgette, cheese, red chillis and marjerenek.

It was oddly good. I think the chillis are from Hungary and they have a bit more of a sweetness to them than other chillis. It was really oddly good.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,081 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Fine evening for burgers on the bbq.

Lorenzo who?

It was oddly good. I think the chillis are from Hungary and they have a bit more of a sweetness to them than other chillis. It was really oddly good.

Oregano?

Sounds lovely. What type of beans?

Edit: marjoram that should be. Nice herb when you can get it fresh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭Wtf ?

Oddly, I read your post twice !:D

This evening: snails (again!) with a spicy tomato sauce this time

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

We had a melt in the mouth beef stew with creamy mash and some fresh crusty bread. The baby licked his bowl clean. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Nothing much planned for today.
    I eat whenever I'm hungry.

Having a couple of beers with crisps right now.

Might make a tuna sandwich with some baked beans if I'm peckish later.

Bought some Heinz sandwich spread from Tesco, probably the first time I've had it since a kid in the 80's. Hope it's still as good/bad.

My method too.. Had beans and bacon early on then scrambled eggs and toast just now. Maybe cake later..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,140 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Sure does.

I get the dried bird's-eye chillies from Tesco.
    Grind them into a powder. Super hot and very fragrant.

Tesco used to have the dragon chillis which were hot to trot and my go to for heat. My branch havent had them in nearly a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The Nal wrote: »
    it is usually separated in the tin, instead of mixing it all up you can pour some or all of the watery bit off. Lidl coconut milk is thicker, the extraction % is on the tins, lidls is much higher and the calories are too (though not proportionatly as high). You can also get hard creamed coconut which could be added to coconut milk.

rubadub wrote: »
    it is usually separated in the tin, instead of mixing it all up you can pour some or all of the watery bit off. Lidl coconut milk is thicker, the extraction % is on the tins, lidls is much higher and the calories are too (though not proportionatly as high). You can also get hard creamed coconut which could be added to coconut milk.

It wasnt separated, was thick going into the pot but went all watery quite quickly. Need a trip tp the Asian supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

It wasnt separated, was thick going into the pot but went all watery quite quickly. Need a trip tp the Asian supermarket.

I find the chaokoh brand to be pretty reliable.

I find the chaokoh brand to be pretty reliable.

Yeah can't go wrong with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Today's batch cooking - freezers bare due to working weekends a lot recently - was a traditional lamb stew, a beef chilli and a chicken saag. Used the last crop of the year from the garden for the spinach and coriander

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Not really dinner but found these lovelies while out walking in Devil's Glen this afternoon ...

20191006160019-IMG-0611.jpg

They're Amethyst Deceivers in case you were wondering, and were delicious fried up in a bit of butter on some crusty bread when I got back :)

UPDATE: I'm still alive :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭Wtf ?

Sardine Omlette..
    Don't ask...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭Ryath

Roasted Pepper and Chorizo Pasta with some Boilíe goats cheese.

492564.jpg

• Advertisement

This evening I made chicken hearts with leeks.
    Usually I make them with onions. I found that the leeks have a more delicate taste.
    It was yummy !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭trashcan

Red thai curry.

Been working on a paste for a while now and have it down.

10 birdseye chilis
    Small onion
    3 stalks lemongrass
    2 tbsp coriander seeds (toasted and ground)
    1 tbsp cumin seeds (toasted and ground)
    2 tbsp galangal
    1 tbsp coriander stalks
    4 cloves garlic
    2 tsp lemon rind
    2 tsp shrimp paste
    1 tsp white pepper
    1 tsp salt
    Enough water to create a smooth blend. 80ml ish.

I'd recommend adding some lime leaves. Makes a huge difference, gives it the authentic Thai restaurant taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

Currently in holidays. Got an Ottoman casserole and it cones with a side of rice and a crispy pastry bowl. Absolutely massive portion, I couldmt finish it all.

It was lamb, chicken and beef. The lamb was done to perfection, melted in my mouth. Very rich. I would have preferred if it was just the one meet but it was gorgeous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Pork steak almost cut into individual slices and roasted in a marinade of soy, honey, Dijon, oil, garlic and rosemary, it cooks down to a nice gravy, served with mash and red cabbage with some apple and just a hint of clove.

I made a vegetarian shephards pie at the weekend (almost vegan but I used a chicken stock cube.) Lentils, carrots, onion, garlic, peas and chickpeas. Tomato purée, rosemary and thyme. Was yummy. Nicer than I expected, even if I do say so myself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Sausage and bean cassoulet tonight.

Sausage and bean cassoulet tonight.

Love cassoulet, never tried making it.

Did you do the whole breadcrumb topping, pushing it down a bit, baking again, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

trashcan wrote: »
    I made a vegetarian shephards pie at the weekend (almost vegan but I used a chicken stock cube.) Lentils, carrots, onion, garlic, peas and chickpeas. Tomato purée, rosemary and thyme. Was yummy. Nicer than I expected, even if I do say so myself.
    Just in case you were planning on using this recipe for vegetarians; a chicken stock cube is not vegetarian, unless it is a chicken flavour vegetarian stock cube.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

otnomart wrote: »
    This evening I made chicken hearts with leeks.
    Usually I make them with onions. I found that the leeks have a more delicate taste.
    It was yummy !

How do you cook these?

• Advertisement

kylith wrote: »
    Just in case you were planning on using this recipe for vegetarians; a chicken stock cube is not vegetarian, unless it is a chicken flavour vegetarian stock cube.

Ok, I’ll accept your correction. Maybe I should have said meat free ? Anyway, I wouldn’t have used it if I was cooking for a vegetarian. (No vegetarians were harmed in the consumption of said meal !!)

Advertisement