Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the weather like in your area 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

Had a sprinkle here that's enough now until June just need heat now and will be at silage in 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

Dwag wrote: »
    Lol.

Ye can't comprehend what real dry is...drought here since June '16...

Anyone old enough to remember '76?

Oh yea could do with a year like that again. I was in my hay day back then 10 and with loads of freedom.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

dzer2 wrote: »
    Oh yea could do with a year like that again. I was in my hay day back then 10 and with loads of freedom.

I remember it too, on another F forum, a lad was saying the price for wheat off the combine was equivalent to £600 in today's money. Showing our age now, too hot to play in the sand that summer.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

No rain here today. So much for the forecast. Dry next week too.
    Must be the driest April on record here. Only 14.5mm for Shannon Airport. Average is 59.2mm.

http://www.met.ie/climate/monthly-data.asp?Num=518

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

No rain here today. So much for the forecast. Dry next week too.
    Must be the driest April on record here. Only 14.5mm for Shannon Airport. Average is 59.2mm.

http://www.met.ie/climate/monthly-data.asp?Num=518
    I'm loving this.
    For people that say our weather always averages out the same every year with rainfall and temperature, etc, etc this has been shown to be complete bo**ox.
    If you say that you believe in luck and fairies.
    For the so called experts who say this will be our climate and that's it, clearly don't understand the different intricacies how one weather effect in one part of the world can effect another.
    I'm no expert myself but picking up on a few things and I know you can't say what can happen in a few years time with weather. There's so many factors at play from E.N.S.O and Arctic Oscillation and Sun's influence (to name a few) that cannot be predicted.
    But by trying to understand what led to extreme conditions in different parts of Ireland (even though it's a small country, there's big differences in general weather) we can maybe see if any of the above factors mentioned change what weather we can expect to happen.

In the meantime though I may have to keep the dirty water on the paddocks.
    Although it is raining a bit here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    I'm loving this.
    For people that say our weather always averages out the same every year with rainfall and temperature, etc, etc this has been shown to be complete bo**ox.
    If you say that you believe in luck and fairies.
    For the so called experts who say this will be our climate and that's it, clearly don't understand the different intricacies how one weather effect in one part of the world can effect another.
    I'm no expert myself but picking up on a few things and I know you can't say what can happen in a few years time with weather. There's so many factors at play from E.N.S.O and Arctic Oscillation and Sun's influence (to name a few) that cannot be predicted.
    But by trying to understand what led to extreme conditions in different parts of Ireland (even though it's a small country, there's big differences in general weather) we can maybe see if any of the above factors mentioned change what weather we can expect to happen.

In the meantime though I may have to keep the dirty water on the paddocks.
    Although it is raining a bit here.

I always thought we got about the same average rainfall every year? Am I wrong? ;)

Or is it dependant on how much you drill down into the statistics?

I always thought we got about the same average rainfall every year? Am I wrong? ;)

Or is it dependant on how much you drill down into the statistics?

I can only show the data from the last three years here for Johnstown Castle.
    But the rainfall figure for 2016 was way back on 2014.
    Nearly 160mm's in the difference.

http://met.ie/climate/monthly-data.asp?Num=1775

Then look at the Global Solar Radiation in Joules/cm2.
    It's falling every year.
    Then look at potential evapotranspiration and evaporation that fell every year too for those three years.

Averages are a man made mathematical equation that go back for the last 30 years (in weather) to help man sleep or stay awake at night while not understanding that that big ocean on the other side of the world (and that's one factor) is actually influencing whether we have storms and flooding or calm and dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,218 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Raining since about 4pm, nice rain , not drizzle and not lashing either

I can only show the data from the last three years here for Johnstown Castle.
    But the rainfall figure for 2016 was way back on 2014.
    Nearly 160mm's in the difference.

http://met.ie/climate/monthly-data.asp?Num=1775

Then look at the Global Solar Radiation in Joules/cm2.
    It's falling every year.
    Then look at potential evapotranspiration and evaporation that fell every year too for those three years.

Averages are a man made mathematical equation that go back for the last 30 years (in weather) to help man sleep or stay awake at night while not understanding that that big ocean on the other side of the world (and that's one factor) is actually influencing whether we have storms and flooding or calm and dry.

But to me, 6% isn't massive...

I'd be looking it at 33% of the year is gone.
    But only 20% of the mean rainfall has fallen...
    So we'll pay for that at some point - maybe the rainfall will be a lower level, in the 900 rather than the 1050 mean... but it still means less time for more rain to fall...

That's what I'd read into it anyways...

I could well be wrong... I don't know or won't pretend to know what influences the weather... I pose I am just going on the numbers, and what the rain is like 'on the ground'
    (on the ground, see what I did there) ;);):)

But to me, 6% isn't massive...

I'd be looking it at 33% of the year is gone.
    But only 20% of the mean rainfall has fallen...
    So we'll pay for that at some point - maybe the rainfall will be a lower level, in the 900 rather than the 1050 mean... but it still means less time for more rain to fall...

That's what I'd read into it anyways...

I could well be wrong... I don't know or won't pretend to know what influences the weather... I pose I am just going on the numbers, and what the rain is like 'on the ground'
    (on the ground, see what I did there) ;);):)

You've fallen into the trap of saying "We'll pay for this yet".
    Weather has no memory or consciousness.
    It's only a reaction to cold or hot water in the Pacific, chemicals/gases in the atmosphere and thermal reactions from the Sun.

Next you'll believe in luck and fairies and Leitrim.;)

• Advertisement

You've fallen into the trap of saying "We'll pay for this yet".
    Weather has no memory or consciousness.
    It's only a reaction to cold or hot water in the Pacific, chemicals in the atmosphere and thermal reactions from the Sun.

Next you'll believe in luck and fairies and Leitrim.;)

What?
    Of course I believe in fairies...
    But no one believes in Leitrim ;)

(Looks around nervously for Lady Haywire...) ;)

Again - I don't know where or how weather comes about. I just know numbers, and for me, it would be more foolish to say 'statistically we will prob get more rain, but I am going to ignore this'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Starting to look serious here now. Only a few mm last night, not really enough to wash all the lime into the ground in the next paddock for the cows.

Starting to look serious here now. Only a few mm last night, not really enough to wash all the lime into the ground in the next paddock for the cows.

What kind of lime did you spread?

What kind of lime did you spread?
    Calcium lime, only lime round here. Nearest Mag lime is Mallow, 60 miles away.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

What?
    Of course I believe in fairies...
    But no one believes in Leitrim ;)

(Looks around nervously for Lady Haywire...) ;)

Again - I don't know where or how weather comes about. I just know numbers, and for me, it would be more foolish to say 'statistically we will prob get more rain, but I am going to ignore this'

I'm busy collecting flowers for the doorways and getting ready to do the moonlight dance in the nip so I'll let you off this time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Got afew decent enough showers this evening thank God, should wash in yesterday's urea and get the maize started, but afew inches certainly wouldn't go astray here ha!

Calcium lime, only lime round here. Nearest Mag lime is Mallow, 60 miles away.

Did you spread it before?
    I presume you have granite till ground?

I spread it on most of the farm in Nov and some of the grass is showing now burnt tips. I've one field that has grey gley soil
    and it is particularly evident.
    It's funny when you start posting on something here and it happens.
    Must be my subconscious kicking in.
    But I'm hoping to spray Boron on some of these fields this week to counteract this.
    Must buy a sprayer first though.:p

I spread it on most of the farm in Nov and some of the grass is showing now burnt tips. I've one field that has grey gley soil
    But I'm hoping to spray Boron on some of these fields this week to counteract this.
    No granite, shallow mineral top soil over limestone for 75% of the place and a peaty topsoil over clay on the rest, a reclaimed floodplain. I'm just starting to improve that section now, a bit of drainage and reseeding in the next few weeks. That section has the potential to be a lifesaver for us during droughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Patentkali , spelling?, is a fert with boron and a few other things in it along with sulphate of potash. I got a ten tonne load made up mixed with can a couple of years ago

Mooooo wrote: »
    Patentkali , spelling?, is a fert with boron and a few other things in it along with sulphate of potash. I got a ten tonne load made up mixed with can a couple of years ago

I think if the grass is showing the effects of too much calcium (by burnt leaf tips)
    down at the roots the only way to help the plant get boron into it is through the leaves via a spray.
    I think it won't make no difference if you apply it to the soil.
    Could be wrong though only going on theory.

• Advertisement

In for a dry week it seems, lads on dry ground may well be in with silage again, growth slow on grazed paddocks anything with a bit of cover is pushing on from what I'm hearing

The Sunset this evening.

2017-05-01_20.jpg

And a meteorite burning up in the earth's atmosphere.

2017-05-01_20.jpg

(Only joking it's a Boeing 737, Ryanair flight RYR94PX STN-SNN London to Shannon).:D

Not a bad little country when the sun comes out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I'm busy collecting flowers for the doorways and getting ready to do the moonlight dance in the nip so I'll let you off this time :D

Any pics?:D

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    Any pics?:D

This was the best I could do Blue.:o
    It gets very dark in Leitrim.

2017-05-01_22.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,381 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

This was the best I could do Blue.:o
    It gets very dark in Leitrim.

2017-05-01_22.jpg

Turn on the flash the next time

Reggie. wrote: »
    Turn on the flash the next time

;)

Edit: it's getting a bit too edgey even for me.
    I've never been to leitrim.
    I got as far as Virginia one time and that was it.

(Hopefully my reputation is saved now).:)
    Blue's however.:rolleyes::D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Very heavy dew this morning. Would hardly wet the top of your boot yesterday am.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Mooooo wrote: »
    In for a dry week it seems, lads on dry ground may well be in with silage again, growth slow on grazed paddocks anything with a bit of cover is pushing on from what I'm hearing

How about where lads have fert out aiming for 15-20th May? Would there be too much N in the grass?

How about where lads have fert out aiming for 15-20th May? Would there be too much N in the grass?

I'd say it should be ok, grass ahead of the cows here was growing away, grazed slower to get going. To be safe just get the crop tested for N a few days before you hope to cut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,515 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

12c and sunny in Cavan, slight breeze.

Real nice.

Was a real heavy dew last night, be enough to keep grass growing and fert dissolved.

Advertisement