Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cringeworthy irish traditions that won't just die

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

cython wrote: »
    Playing the national anthem to mark the end of the night in pubs and clubs. Fcuking embarrassing use of something that's supposed to represent national pride. Thankfully less prevalent around the Dublin area than where I'm from orginally

I used to work in a pub, and sometimes we would have this one particular dj who thought he was cool by lashing out Irelands Call instead at the end of the night.
    The funny thing about it though was that he would earlier have played a load of rebel songs before that to finish the night. One night, I couldn't resist bursting his bubble by educating him on the origins of Irelands Call. It was the last time he used it!

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Vita nova

Who says this happens? I knew both my Granddad's but I've no idea who they voted for and my parents seem to vary election to election. Is it a culchie thing?

That depends on your definition of "culchie". In any case it's a stupid term to apply to any group.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Timmyr

May have been mentioned before, but clapping on airplane landings really grinds my gears.... I hang my head in shame when it happens

• Registered Users Posts: 15,952 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Phil.x wrote: »
    Singing "you'll never beat the Irish"

After 100s of years of the crap getting kicked out of us...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

seamus wrote: »

But Irish TV is where it usually comes from. The painfully cringey amateurishness of the late late show, when bands are performing like they're in the corner of a pub. Or they get some member of the public up and the whole interaction is just painfully clunky.

Or when they give out a free bag of spuds to everyone in the audience. Like they did a few weeks ago.

I'm not sure what it is. Live TV in Ireland has always had this, "we're used to running pub quizzes and don't really know what we're doing" quality to it.

The biggest indictment of the late late show now is that it seems 10 times more amateurish, stuffy and backward than it did 30 / 40 years ago.

• Advertisement

Saying we're 'neutral' when we're not...really.

Lack of long-term planning, esp. in govt., linked to the 'sure it'll be grand' mindset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Agricola wrote: »
    The biggest indictment of the late late show now is that it seems 10 times more amateurish, stuffy and backward than it did 30 / 40 years ago.

Hard to believe there was a time when it was quite 'edgy' - and it genuinely was and promoted great social discourse. Now they've turned it into something quite bland......except for the Toy Show, that's still pretty good (as long as you ignore Tubridy)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Ok Bye, bye, bye, bye, bye.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

The Late, Late Show is the longest running talk show
    Winning Streak is the longest running game show (I heard the continuity announcer introduce it as recently before I could switch channel)

We are the best at creating long running sh1te shows, that may have been good at some point but are long since overdue a replacement

The Late, Late Show is the longest running talk show
    Winning Streak is the longest running game show (I heard the continuity announcer introduce it as recently before I could switch channel)

We are the best at creating long running sh1te shows, that may have been good at some point but are long since overdue a replacement

Sorry, Winning Streak was never, ever good....unless you're easily entertained, like children or the elderly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Everyone driving in the middle lane on the motorways.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

diomed wrote: »

How many Motorways with more than two lanes do we have?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Timmyr

diomed wrote: »

Worse again, everybody driving in the right hand lane! or as i regularly see, 2 cars side by side matching speeds so nobody can overtake

Jawgap wrote: »
    Hard to believe there was a time when it was quite 'edgy' - and it genuinely was and promoted great social discourse. Now they've turned it into something quite bland......except for the Toy Show, that's still pretty good (as long as you ignore Tubridy)

Maybe we now live in a world where the need for a serious chat show like that is gone. Weekend chat shows are all presented by comedians. It's all light stuff and only really a promotional vehicle for celebrities hawking a book, film or tour.

I still think the late late show could be semi relevant in the right hands. Some of the best shows, even in Pat Kenny's day, involved a panel of well known Irish social commentators discussing whatever topic was in the news that week.
    Given what's happened here in the last decade, it's pretty criminal that these kind of segments didnt play a bigger role in the show. The problem seems to be that Tubridy is a lightweight and doesnt really want to referee these kind of serious panel shows. So they are caught between two stools with a presenter who wants to do light entertainment but who doesnt have the guests (or talent) to warrant it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

I remember Russell Crowe was on the Late Late a couple of years ago, he was really entertaining and it was great TV regardless of Tubridy's useless presenter skills.
    Then right after that they went to someone in the audience who was with their son who had trapped in syndrome and was paralysed, basically just speaking about how awful it was for the poor man in the wheelchair. The look on Russell's face was just of utter confusion and "ah here I didn't sign up for this".
    So what the f**k type of show is it trying to be?

I'm fairly sure the LLS always had those type of contrasts with guests and topics. One minute a hollywood actor, the next, some poor woman who nearly died of septic shock in a Dublin hospital! I don't know why it seemed to work better back in the day. Maybe they just had more tact as to how items were ordered on the show.

Agricola wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure the LLS always had those type of contrasts with guests and topics. One minute a hollywood actor, the next, some poor woman who nearly died of septic shock in a Dublin hospital! I don't know why it seemed to work better back in the day. Maybe they just had more tact as to how items were ordered on the show.

Don't we have Joe Duffy for those old weirdos who get off on that sh*t? I wouldn't be tuning in to an entertainment show on a Friday night to see kids with cancer etc.
    I suppose that's why I never watch it. On a side note, I passed by Tubridy not too long ago and he has one of the skinniest waists I've ever seen on a man.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Telling everyone what a great night you had, even though you got so drunk you can't remember 90% of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

The most cringeworthy thing is fellas who cringe or are embarressed at being Irish, how insecure is that?

In my experience, it's mainly the insecure and inadequate who cling desperately and uncritically to any and all vestiges of Irish culture.

For me, they're like the sheep in Animal Farm, dumbly chanting "four legs bad two legs good" on any and every occasion, because it's far easier than thinking for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

philstar wrote: »
    supporting a scottish football team called sell'thick...and deluding yourself that they're an irish team

Or supporting an English team and deluding yourself into thinking you're a Scouser and your mate Barry from two doors up is a Manc. ''We'' this and ''we'' that. Cop on.

• Advertisement

jester77 wrote: »
    Telling everyone what a great night you had, even though you got so drunk you can't remember 90% of it.

Do you know people who do that? Blackouts usually result in shame with anyone I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Looking at post No4, and I'm not so sure that we should be posting any cringeworther traditions :confused:

Seeing as the only reason you would post one is because your "colonial brain" has you trapped into thinking that everything Irish is inferior, hence you don't like Irish traditions I guess?

I think thats what he's saying in post 4 /page 1.

...and he's got over 100 thanks for it too!

I remember Russell Crowe was on the Late Late a couple of years ago, he was really entertaining and it was great TV regardless of Tubridy's useless presenter skills.
    Then right after that they went to someone in the audience who was with their son who had trapped in syndrome and was paralysed, basically just speaking about how awful it was for the poor man in the wheelchair. The look on Russell's face was just of utter confusion and "ah here I didn't sign up for this".
    So what the f**k type of show is it trying to be?

IIRC the older format kept the airy-fairy stuff early on and the heavy-hitting topics later in the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,312 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

jester77 wrote: »

but that is the definition of a great night!!

but that is the definition of a great night!!

If that's the case you should just stay at home and take rohypnol, a lot cheaper. You'll remember f*ck all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

That tradition goes back to at least the 6th century. It's related to a blessing bestowed on people when they sneezed as sneezing was a possible indication that they may have the plague.

Hence the children's rhyme:

"A tissue, a tissue and they all fall down"

Now off to this thread with you and confess;

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056838009&page=287

I always thought it was atishooooo as in the sound of sneezing. You sneezed and you died.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,241 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Anyone mention a women's lack of rights to her own body yet?

Can I?

Please?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 JiminyCrickett

Not being able to drink on a good friday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭9or10

Sorry, Winning Streak was never, ever good....unless you're easily entertained, like children or the elderly.

It was great if you were on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Timmyr wrote: »
    Worse again, everybody driving in the right hand lane! or as i regularly see, 2 cars side by side matching speeds so nobody can overtake

its good that people are getting the message about not using mobile phones while driving...by pulling onto the hard shoulder for a quick chat

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement