Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cringeworthy irish traditions that won't just die

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

What about a tradition of copying another culture example Irish people singing like American country singers? Is it a superiority complex? Or is an inferiority complex that I should not like Ireland's tradition in copying a nasal American drawl?

If they're not sneering at Irish traditions, music, sports, dance, social/cultural norms, and whatnot, I don't see how it qualifies as 'cultural cringe'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭The Wolverine

Who says this happens? I knew both my Granddad's but I've no idea who they voted for and my parents seem to vary election to election. Is it a culchie thing?

I don't know a single person that votes for party because their family has always voted for them.

The mistake that's made when they hear for example the "Crayfishs are a pure Fine Gael house" isn't because you'd blindly vote for them. The reason it happens is your family most likely always canvases for them, because your so well in with them anything you need done is sorted with only a phone call to the local TD or councillor who you or another party member knows.

From when your mother is left on hospital trolley and a nurse or doctor shurg only for a phone call to come in and suddenly they have a free bed found to an elderly person being ****ed around by the social welfare, HSE, etc

People vote for them cause they get things you personally need done, not this "sure he fixed the roads" rubbish people spout on here.

I know a handful of pensioners who got letters just before FF went out of power telling them how they had been overpaid the pension for years and were expected to pay it all back, (think maybe by having their future weekly rates reduced) even though their rates were the same as everyone else.

When FG came in our local TD found out it was all BS and the department suddenly sends out apology letters despite telling them to piss off every time they tried to explain it themselves previous.

That's an example, you can exchange any party TD there depending, independents understandably wouldn't have as much pull.

That how lots of people keep getting votes, that others can't understand, cause they look after their supporters the Healy Rae's for example.

I know people give out about "parish pump" politics and say people should vote for parties based on national issues, a nice thought but anyone with common sense knows it's never gonna matter cause its all lies on the big issues from every party and then let's face it, you'd be a fool not to look after you and your own first it's that simple and if people think this is unique to Ireland then their dreaming, I guarantee the equivalents in the UK, US, and say Europe get votes for looking after their voters on a small scale level.

It's very much the who you know method and that's never gonna disappear no matter the country or way it's used whether politics, getting a job, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

People vote for them cause they get things you personally need done, not this "sure he fixed the roads" rubbish people spout on here.

Isn't this the same thing in essence?

"Sure he fixed the roads" is shorthand for he gets things done.

Plenty of people, in rural areas in particular, still vote along the same lines their families have going back years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Arghus wrote: »
    Plenty of people, in rural areas in particular, still vote along the same lines their families have going back years.

And it's in no way unique to Ireland so can't really be considered an 'Irish thing'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭The Wolverine

Arghus wrote: »
    Isn't this the same thing in essence?

"Sure he fixed the roads" is shorthand for he gets things done.

Unfortunately from past reading here, their are some here that think literally fixing a local road is the only reason people would vote for someone, I'm showing its usually (from my own experience of course) on a more personal scale as in a direct personal benefit, than a local road.

Yes like I said usually because for the majority, members of that party have sorted things no questions asked from getting someone a job on the council offices to something more simple like getting a grant pushed through that was previously rejected, this support can go back almost decades through different party candidates but for the same party, usually because they have kept looking after lads.

I know FF always had a sure seat for maybe 30 or more years cause the candidate that took over from the previous one who retired was good too. Then a guy got the seat and was useless never even replied to messages from locals and that seat was lost in favour of a Labour fella at the time I believe.

I've never come across anyone that votes a party candidate for no reason, other than the "family have always done" perhaps their are some out there but I wouldn't think it's major levels tho.

I know for certain if say you always voted for the FF candidate who now does **** all when you ask em they wouldn't be long loosing votes to whoever else listens no matter the party! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭brandnewaward

crystal swing

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

And it's in no way unique to Ireland so can't really be considered an 'Irish thing'.

Oh absolutely. It's a feature of politics no matter where you go; it isn't uniquely Irish at all - although we do have our unique spin on it.

I mentioned it in reply to the previous poster who stated that it didn't happen, or at least he wasn't aware of people who voted for parties along family lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Mr. FoggPatches

arayess wrote: »
    rock the boat.

I just don't get it - why?

So that it doesn't tip over, of course

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

looksee wrote: »
    I was in the US a couple of weeks ago and travelled on a lot of buses, and not only did many people greet the driver and thank him as they got off, the driver often held long shouted conversations with people sitting on the bus.

Had a one sided conversation with a loud and very jovial bus driver in Finland. He was chatting away to me and all I could do was smile and nod. When I got off I said Kiitos (Thank you.....about the only word of Finnish I knew at the time) and he replied "You're welcome. Have a nice day".

Still say thank you to any bus driver - it's a habit, it's friendly and not in the slightest cringeworthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

Aul wans saying 'Bless You' when you sneeze. Is there a place where they go to get ordained to be able to bestow such a gift on you?
    I do that! It's becoming increasingly rare though. I'm always muttering "Bless you" when someone sneezes.

I'd feel bad if I didn't. I know it's daft.

I wasn't ordained or anything, sure I don't even go to mass.... :)
    Not restricted to the elders. I've been blessed by folk of all ages. I think they do it to stop me sneezing. Can be no other logical reason.

I say it to, And I don't live in Ireland ,I do get odd queer looks :D:pac:

Just a habit I suppose,and also when people are leaving my company I say God bless, lol . :):o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭HellSquirrel

I actually like the custom of thanking the bus driver. You have to go past him/wait for him to open the door to let you out, so it seems a bit churlish to just turn away from him and hike off. It's nice to have that automatic little exchange, although I wonder how bored the bus driver gets with the line of "thank you"s when a whole batch of people are getting off the bus at the same time.

I was struck by the custom of blessing yourself when an ambulance passes when I was in the UK. I grant it's a bit of a weird custom, but it gets ingrained if there's enough people around you that do it, and I did it without thinking in England. Well, the LOOK I got from this passing woman. You'd think I'd just cast an evil Catholic spell on the ambulance :pac:

I'm not even all that Catholic (I was leaning towards agnosticism even then), but the Catholicometer was beeping strongly for that lady.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,950 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Irish country music singers pretending to be American complete with the nasal sounding "generic southern" drawl.
    There seems to be a new generation of these gob****es appearing.

Irish Country and Western is feelgood, inoffensive, simple narratives, appeals to young and old...it's the Winning Streak of music genres.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Candie wrote: »
    People blessing themselves when they pass a church.

(2.08 onwards)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

LordSutch wrote: »
    Can somebody please explain what's going on with post No4.

Like how and why has it attracted so much attention from far & wide!

I just don't get it, specially so early in the thread before the begrudgers even got going.

Something's odd about the massive response to a post that was posted before any real anti-Irish bashing was done, not that it's been done since post No4 either :cool:

Its almost like a networked response (126 thanks & counting) . . .

Maybe there's something else at play that I'm not aware of?

Man that's a deep chip you have on your shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Candie wrote: »
    This is a Child of Prague. Its a statuary representation of the child Jesus.

It's a Catholic thing, they used to be in most houses along with holy water fonts at the hall door in generations past. Apparently, if you put the statuette outside when you want good weather and say a prayer, then you'll get it.

It's an old-fashioned, harmless, and quite charming Irish tradition.

As is being obsessed with immersion heaters being left on.

Ha ha that made me burst out laughing..Thanks

Like whats the point of Sean Nós. Stinks of making it up as you go along

Lots of music/dance genres can be improvised, do they all 'stink' because they're not choreographed neatly in a format that appeals to you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭9or10

Can somebody please explain ....

Its almost like a networked response (126 thanks & counting) . . .

Maybe there's something else at play that I'm not aware of?

Thanks envy is the ugly side of Boards.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Yeboah

christenings ... rural Ireland dweller, didn't get child christened as have not been to mass in years ...all of a sudden some neighbours and locals in the pub look on me as im some devil worshipper - the same people that haven't been to mass in years but how dare I not christen my child, im very untraditional it seems

by all means get your child christened if your religious but doing it cos its the done thing is mad

Yeboah wrote: »
    christenings ... rural Ireland dweller, didn't get child christened as have not been to mass in years ...all of a sudden some neighbours and locals in the pub look on me as im some devil worshipper - the same people that haven't been to mass in years but how dare I not christen my child, im very untraditional it seems

by all means get your child christened if your religious but doing it cos its the done thing is mad

Is this the view of an older generation?

People tend to do it as the kid won't get into the 'right' school or the kid would feel 'left out', or to simply to please the grandparents.

wakka12 wrote: »
    Of all things in this world why is thanking somebody for a provided service something that should be gotten rid of
    I don't think its necessary but I think its a sweet custom. I don't know if its done abroad but I like it regardless

Some people are just twats so ignore them. Thanking the bus driver or whoever provides a service is just decent civilised behaviour. I have encountered it across the world, especially in rural areas - with the exception of Malta and a few other places where abject ignorance (especially on roads) was seen as a virtue. It's a very remedial act of kindness that just makes our society that little bit nicer. And to very many of us that matters. That the absolute fúcktards who constitute the anti-Irish crowd here (and in every other thread) are using it to look down on the Irish as some sort of simpletons for being civilised is par for the course.

Oh, and I also say "Sorry" if I bump into somebody, another sign of my Irish simpleton status apparently. It is short for "sorry for bothering you"/"sorry for that". Most people in the world who aren't arseholes do likewise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

You don't see so much of that nowadays, although back in the 80s I remember the whole top deck of the smoke filled 46a frantically blessing themselves as we passed every Chapel :)

Blessing yourself when an ambulance passes is the oddest one.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 976 ✭✭✭beach_walker

Thanking the bus driver when he stops at the bus stop!

I've found this to be pretty common in the UK, I hear it pretty much every journey, and seemed like the norm the few buses I took in the US.
    Voting for a particular political party because your father and grandfather did. It's stupid.

Agreed, but hardly unique to Ireland. I wonder why do people think it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

As someone gets into the back seat of a car and the mudder has to say the obligatory ''Have you got enough leg room there?'' while simultaneously almost panicking moving forward her passenger front seat before the answer is even delivered which is always ''Yes im grand ive plenty room''.

A.) The inbuilt offer of moving the front seat forward always has to be asked.

B.) The reply is always 'Ive plenty of room here, loads of room' even on the rare occasion there could be more room its always plenty.

I dont think ive ever heard a deviation of A or B when someone gets in the back of any car.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 snorrie

Oh, and I also say "Sorry" if I bump into somebody, another sign of my Irish simpleton status apparently. It is short for "sorry for bothering you"/"sorry for that". Most people in the world who aren't arseholes do likewise.

Irish simpleton status is saying sorry when someone else bumps into you. "Sorry for being in the way in the first place." Both parties end up apologising. :D

Not exactly a tradition but I cringe when I have to explain our licensing laws to foreigners.

I have to admit. not only do I say thanks to the driver getting of the bus I say howya getting on ....

Or another one..when people say to you..
    There ya are...

Sure it's nice to be nice

• Registered Users Posts: 22,260 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Vita nova wrote: »
    That depends on your definition of "culchie". In any case it's a stupid term to apply to any group.

'Culchie' is a neutral term. It's use simply signifies that one was not born in Dublin. Famous culchies include Neil Armstrong, Kim Jong Un, Didier Drogba, and Miley Byrne.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Vita nova

endacl wrote: »
    'Culchie' is a neutral term. It's use simply signifies that one was not born in Dublin. Famous culchies include Neil Armstrong, Kim Jong Un, Didier Drogba, and Miley Byrne.

Joking aside, some definitions of culchie:
    • Google: "an unsophisticated country person"
    • OED: "one who lives in, or comes from, a rural area; a (simple) countryman (or woman), a provincial, a rustic"
    • Dicitionary.com: "a rough or unsophisticated country-dweller from outside Dublin"

I'm from rural Ireland and I don't think it's some neutral socio-geographic term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,585 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

endacl wrote: »

How could you forget Ayrton Senna?:mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement