Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cringeworthy irish traditions that won't just die

Options
1192021222325»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Mena Mitty wrote: »
    Uncomfortable is the word I'd use to describe the feeling I have when this part of the mass comes around.

' Let us offer each other the sign of peace'

In my day the sign of peace was the Harvey Smith gesture or a variation of same.

I scored my first girlfriend through the sign of peace... Feckin tough job trying to position myself right behind her for a few weeks of Catholic foreplay

JupiterKid wrote: »
    People looking down their noses at others, being very quick to judge or label them perjoratively and of course the old chestnut, giving out about “West Brits” - basically upper middle class urban dwellers who aren’t die hard republicans and don’t follow GAA sports are all unfortunate aspects of Irish culture that just stubbornly refuse to die out.

I remember some cnt in kerry trying to sell me an Poblacht in the pub and getting right offended when I declined questioning my irishness etc

Drinking a pint of milk before going to the pub.

"lines the stomach" a feck off :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

As for "cringeworthy Irish traditions", you can tell the whole cultural cringe world view of an Irish-born person when they give all their children English names, and the more English those first names are the more cultural cringe the parent has. Fact.

Maybe you'd be more at home posting exclusively here and not in the evil colonial tongue of the sasanach.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=904

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

I think a lot of people in this thread are a lot more cringe than the traditions they're criticizing.

"Oh look at that person blessing themselves going past a church, the CRINGE..." get a life.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

When I was growing up we were all named after saints, with the rebel parents choosing some obscure local Irish saint as a symbol to the initiated where exactly in Ireland they were from (often a name would identify somebody down to a specific parish, not just the diocese). Even if you called your kid Cathal Liam after, of course, Cathal Brugha and Liam Mellows you could dress it up as some religious thing if you suspected the audience was not, eh, sound on the national question. From the mid-19th century, the cultureless, creatively challenged pleb parents went for the superstar English saint names of Patrick/James/Michael/Mary/Anne. All safe/not Irish/not of dubious pagan origin, and blessed by the newly romanised and anglicised Catholic Church of Cardinal Paul Cullen and his successors.

In Greece, a nameday is considered more important in the calendar than the birthday. It is the day of the saint after whom you are named. This can lead to difficulty if you wish to give your child a name of which there is no correlating saint. Other problems also come. As a result, my uncle Kleon has as his real, legal name, Stamatis, there not being a Saint Kleon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

"A great man to drink a pint"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

Nuacht

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement