Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cringeworthy irish traditions that won't just die

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Culchies with a flat cap welded to their head 24/7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

Clapping the taxi driver when he drops you home safely

:confused: Never heard of that, unless your talking about the clap :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭midnight city

bubblypop wrote: »
    Singing ole ole ole at absolutely everything.
    It's not even Irish.

When McGregor was fighting Nate Diaz the Irish were singing away at the old ole ole ole, the Mexican Americans supporting Diaz must have been thinking what the hell are these Irish people singing in Spanish for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

looksee wrote: »
    I have never applauded a bus driver.

Well maybe you should do? and the Luas driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Singing "you'll never beat the Irish"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Cultural cringe, in cultural studies and social anthropology, is an internalized inferiority complex that causes people in a country to dismiss their own culture as inferior to the cultures of other countries. It is closely related to the concept of colonial mentality and is often linked with the display of anti-intellectual attitudes towards thinkers, scientists, and artists who originate from a colonial or post-colonial nation. It can also be manifested in individuals in the form of cultural alienation.

Well said, this one tradition we can definitely do without.

I think thanking the bus or Luas driver is a lovely, mannerly thing to do. It's a big improvement over how people interact on London public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

looksee wrote: »
    Christmas pubs?

I think they mean the 12 pubs of Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,235 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Also known as the 12 pubs of Xmas??

Forced craic is literally the definition of cringe!

'Christmas pubs' - no that is not an Irish tradition...Just like bacon and cabbage and Patricks day parades, its American
    The Twelve Bars of Christmas (or popularly known as TBOX which stands for (T)welve (B)ars (O)f (X)mas), is an annual pub crawl held in Chicago, Illinois, United States, since 1996.

Well that's what Wikipedia says, so it must be true! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

Phil.x wrote: »

Even when were losing :confused::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

The Late Late Show.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Voting for a particular political party because your father and grandfather did. It's stupid.

Boiling the bejaysus out of cabbage

• Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Starting every conversation with "how are ya" and "nice day"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,598 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Phil.x wrote: »

As we lose 43/O to Tuvalu!!! COME ON IRELAND!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

Flat 7 up can nearly bring back the dead !

Voting for a particular political party because your father and grandfather did. It's stupid.

That's my thread winner right there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 sonny.roofer

Toilet attendants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 sonny.roofer

Yeah, this doesn't happen in the US or UK for example.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

That's my thread winner right there.

Who says this happens? I knew both my Granddad's but I've no idea who they voted for and my parents seem to vary election to election. Is it a culchie thing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Who says this happens? I knew both my Granddad's but I've no idea who they voted for and my parents seem to vary election to election. Is it a culchie thing?

No. We have parents and stuff too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Musketeer4

Throwing the Child of Prague in the ditch the evening before a wedding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

No.....it's a retard thing

It's not exclusive to culchies or dubs.....or even irish
    Google Donald trump

I'm not even Irish, but I've heard my Irish relatives saying things like 'they're a real FF family' and other similar things. This is in Dublin, not Bogsville.

It may not be an actual thing, but it's perceived as being a thing.

Is it a culchie thing?

You might want to ask a culchie

The truth is that there are a vast amount of people who will never be turned from their party politics, no matter what they do, or the quality of the candidate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Musketeer4 wrote: »
    Throwing the Child of Prague in the Di the evening before a wedding.

I never heard of this until morning of one of the sisters wedding.....was out for a walk as house was overrun with people

Some ould wan down the road asked me about it....and just looked at her rather confused and said yes.....still have no idea what it means

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Candie wrote: »
    I'm not even Irish, but I've heard my Irish relatives saying things like 'they're a real FF family' and other similar things. This is in Dublin, not Bogsville.

It may not be an actual thing, but it's perceived as being a thing.

I don't think it's a thing. I have never heard anyone I know say their family was affiliated with a political party. And I work with a lot of people involved in politics!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,967 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

LordSutch wrote:
    Thanking the bus driver when he stops at the bus stop!

I thank bus drivers, taxi drivers, pilots, air hosts, barbers, carpenters,plumbers etc,etc. Can't see what you'd have against the poor bus driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

LordSutch wrote: »
    Thanking the bus driver when he stops at the bus stop!

They're thanking him for not being on strike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

I never heard of this until morning of one of the sisters wedding.....was out for a walk as house was overrun with people

Some ould wan down the road asked me about it....and just looked at her rather confused and said yes.....still have no idea what it means

I had never heard of it until I read this thread - but the missus has just told me that it's done in an attempt to bring good weather for a wedding or communion or somesuch.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement