Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cringeworthy irish traditions that won't just die

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭droidman123

People putting stupid accents on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Omackeral wrote: »
    Or supporting an English team and deluding yourself into thinking you're a Scouser and your mate Barry from two doors up is a Manc. ''We'' this and ''we'' that. Cop on.

"we were robbed"- gas, bunch of overpaid mostly foreigners kicking a ball round England

• Registered Users Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

its good that people are getting the message about not using mobile phones while driving...by pulling onto the hard shoulder for a quick chat

That's news to me.Every day I see people driving while using mobile phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Ironically for a country supposedly renowned for its sense of humour....home grown TV comedy that just isn't funny.

(Fr Ted doesn't count...Channel 4!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Expensive Irish weddings (the Church and expensive hotel etc..)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭sjb25

Candie wrote: »
    People blessing themselves when they pass a church.

Or when they bless themselves as an ambulance passes on lights and siren

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭jackwigan

After 100s of years of the crap getting kicked out of us...

And yet here we still are

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Timmyr wrote: »
    May have been mentioned before, but clapping on airplane landings really grinds my gears.... I hang my head in shame when it happens

Or clapping at the end of a film in the cinema

Or in the pub when watching a match a player shows a bit of good skill or gets subbed off after a good performance/

Do they feckin clap at home for these things?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Catholicism.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 yo soy carlos

MUPPETS MOANING ABOUT THE MAJORITY CATHOLICS

• Advertisement

Please don't tell me this is an "MMATMC" thing is it?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭worded

Voting for a particular political party because your father and grandfather did. It's stupid.

He fixed the road ...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjl8OIZijjY

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Cultural cringe, in cultural studies and social anthropology, is an internalized inferiority complex that causes people in a country to dismiss their own culture as inferior to the cultures of other countries. It is closely related to the concept of colonial mentality and is often linked with the display of anti-intellectual attitudes towards thinkers, scientists, and artists who originate from a colonial or post-colonial nation. It can also be manifested in individuals in the form of cultural alienation.

wikipedia.org

I wonder why its so common in countries like Germany and Sweden that arent colonial countries

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭worded

Don't we have Joe Duffy for those old weirdos who get off on that sh*t? I wouldn't be tuning in to an entertainment show on a Friday night to see kids with cancer etc.
    I suppose that's why I never watch it. On a side note, I passed by Tubridy not too long ago and he has one of the skinniest waists I've ever seen on a man.

Im not Mac Savage ! Heres another Joe Duffy sketch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9oiO6RVKrU

LordSutch wrote: »
    Thanking the bus driver when he stops at the bus stop!

Of all things in this world why is thanking somebody for a provided service something that should be gotten rid of
    I don't think its necessary but I think its a sweet custom. I don't know if its done abroad but I like it regardless

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

The Late Late audience clapping out of beat at the slightest hint of music or a song. Most of them have no timing and are clapping away like demented seals oblivious that they're clapping out of beat to everyone else.

The Late Late audience clapping out of beat at the slightest hint of music or a song. Most of them have no timing and are clapping away like demented seals oblivious that they're clapping out of beat to everyone else.

This made me burst out laughing hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 33,241 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

People actually defending Catholicism would be another.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

I think Russell Crowe had a go at them for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Can somebody please explain what's going on with post No4.

Like how and why has it attracted so much attention from far & wide!

I just don't get it, specially so early in the thread before the begrudgers even got going.

Something's odd about the massive response to a post that was posted before any real anti-Irish bashing was done, not that it's been done since post No4 either :cool:

Its almost like a networked response (126 thanks & counting) . . .

Maybe there's something else at play that I'm not aware of?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,012 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I just don't get it, specially so early in the thread before the begrudgers even got going.

Something's odd about the massive response to a post that was posted before any real anti-Irish bashing was done, not that it's been done since post No4 either :cool:

just thanked it myself:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

The Late Late is complete shoit now.Gay Byrne did have a presence that Turbridy can't match.When I see Turbridy's smug face I want to kick his skinny ass!He's just in love with himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It's not a begrudging post. It's an attempt to explain a phenomenon intellectually that people, in a small country such as ours, are sometimes eager to engage in.

It's an anti begrudging post and people are thanking it because it's interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Brave_Horatius

Cultural cringe, in cultural studies and social anthropology, is an internalized inferiority complex that causes people in a country to dismiss their own culture as inferior to the cultures of other countries. It is closely related to the concept of colonial mentality and is often linked with the display of anti-intellectual attitudes towards thinkers, scientists, and artists who originate from a colonial or post-colonial nation. It can also be manifested in individuals in the form of cultural alienation.

wikipedia.org

Jesus, I've witnessed a murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭buried

I'll tell ya whats happening with it.

Its triggered you like an Islamic State soldier looking at a coca-cola christmas advert.

That's whats happening with it.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

That's a well aimed torpedo to the centre of the OPs nether region. :D

They found a torpedo stuffed with 75 keys of sniff on a beach in County Clare during the week,apparently that one wasn't aimed so accurately,according to the police it had been there for months,the official press release amused me, but the plot thickens.The member of the public that found the coke was a local hotelier by the name of Mr Vaughan,who had no qualms about revealing his identity to the media,and by default to the gentlemen that were the rightful owners of the cocaine,who are understandably a bit grumpy due to the mishap.Mr Vaughan the third generation hotelier from rural west clare then further revealed himself(again,inadvertently)as having an in depth knowledge of the transatlantic cocaine trade when he speculated that there were probably hundreds of these cocaine torpedos,all in the general area around his hotel.I tried to book a room in his establishment yesterday as I always wanted to visit the cliffs of moher,and I thought I might snag a reasonable deal by booking off season and midweek.Alas,they are fully booked for the foreseeable future.Somethings telling me that alls not what it appears to be,and the freemasons are involved somehow.But I digress, apparently we do funerals in our own unique way,Poor aunt mary lovely woman,lets get drunk and remember how lovely she was,or uncle gerry, a right pr1ck by all accounts,lets get drunk and rejoice the fact he's gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Barlett

I for one like to bless myself walking past a church and no thread is gonna tell me otherwise dammit!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,393 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Irish country music singers pretending to be American complete with the nasal sounding "generic southern" drawl.
    There seems to be a new generation of these gob****es appearing.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,393 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

wikipedia.org

What about a tradition of copying another culture example Irish people singing like American country singers? Is it a superiority complex? Or is an inferiority complex that I should not like Ireland's tradition in copying a nasal American drawl?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Looking at post No4,

I think thats what he's saying in post 4 /page 1.

Something's odd about the massive response to a post that was posted before any real

anti-Irish bashing was done, not that it's been done since post No4 either

Because how the hell could Irish people on an Irish based forum agree with a fellow Irishman, and Fenian upstart, that we've an issue here with cultural cringe? Could you explain to me what a 'networked response' is?

Are you living in an 19th Century Punch Magazine?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement