Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 Ryder Cup

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,215 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Russman wrote: »
    Didn't they shoot mad scores though the last time they were there ? -20 or something ? Can't really remember tbh, is that where J Day got his major ?
    Iirc it was playing soft due to weather conditions. But yeah, JDay finished three shots clear on -20 which was a then record score for a major. The previous time the PGA Championship was played there, the winning score was -11. Also, only 11 players had scores under -10 in 2015. I'm not even sure how that winning score would translate to a RC. Afaik, there were a few low scores last weekend in the -5/-6 bracket which is what JDay was getting in 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭wildrover444

Padraig did say on the off the ball interview that whistling straits is a European style course and he said they would struggle to get the greens to 14 on the stimp there. He also said he would have alot less workload as captain in the buildup to ryder cup in America. While if it was on in Europe he would alot more promotion work to do. Good interview from Padraig as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,558 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Padraig did say on the off the ball interview that whistling straits is a European style course and he said they would struggle to get the greens to 14 on the stimp there. He also said he would have alot less workload as captain in the buildup to ryder cup in America. While if it was on in Europe he would alot more promotion work to do. Good interview from Padraig as usual.

No bull with Harrington as usual ,straight talking .
    This idea that the Ryder cup captaincy is a full time job for 2 years is ludicrous .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

No bull with Harrington as usual ,straight talking .
    This idea that the Ryder cup captaincy is a full time job for 2 years is ludicrous .

As far as the home team captain is concerned, it is. Arguably less so for the away team captain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Koepka quashes any fight rumours https://www.golfchannel.com/article/golf-central-blog/koepka-there-was-no-fight-no-argument-dj/?cid=facebook-gc-a-koepka-there-was-no-fight-no-argument-dj-10032018

"This Dustin thing, I just don’t get. There was no fight, no argument. He’s one of my best friends. I love the kid to death. We talked on the phone Monday and yesterday, so you tell me how we fought.

People like to make a story and run with it. It’s not the first time there’s been a news story that isn’t true that’s gone out."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,708 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

No smoke without fire!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

HighLine wrote: »
    Koepka quashes any fight rumours https://www.golfchannel.com/article/golf-central-blog/koepka-there-was-no-fight-no-argument-dj/?cid=facebook-gc-a-koepka-there-was-no-fight-no-argument-dj-10032018

"This Dustin thing, I just don’t get. There was no fight, no argument. He’s one of my best friends. I love the kid to death. We talked on the phone Monday and yesterday, so you tell me how we fought.

People like to make a story and run with it. It’s not the first time there’s been a news story that isn’t true that’s gone out."
    Yeah, he also said this: “As far as camaraderie, it was fine, it was perfect,”
    Except Patrick Reed had a good whinge in the NYT and said he was close to doing a Phil Mickelson at the presser.

Not really buying it. Especially when there would have been so many witnesses to the incident at the European team party.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,342 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

If you do not wish to know the result of the Ryder cup, lock yourself away in a darkened room without any electronic devices for two days, now.

The beans were almost spilled first thing Monday morning when iRadio of all radio stations almost gave me the result. i watched it up to about 10-9 on Monday and then finished off the last 2 hours first thing Tuesday morning.

Avoiding people for the guts of 2 days was hard!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Poulter would really get on my nerves.

I'd say secretly the boys can't stand him. Postman my arse, go and deliver in a Major fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Poulter would really get on my nerves.

I'd say secretly the boys can't stand him. Postman my arse, go and deliver in a Major fella.

Go home yank

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/golf/article-6243483/Ryder-Cup-waste-time-USAs-Phil-Mickelson-bemoans-brutal-rough-Le-Golf-National.html

Real loser talk from Phil the Mick.

'The Europeans did the opposite of what we do when we have the Ryder Cup here,' said the five-time major winner, who was one of Furyk's four wildcard picks. 'The fairways were 14 to 16 yards wide.

'Ben Hogan, who was the greatest ball striker of all time, had a five percent margin of error.

'So, if you hit the ball 300 yards, we all hit it more than that, you need to have a 30-yard wide fairway to be able to hit them.

'The fact is, they had brutal rough — almost unplayable — and it's not the way I play. I don't play like that.

'I'm 48, I'm not going to play tournaments with rough like that anymore. It's a waste of my time.

'I'm going to play courses that are playable and that I can play aggressive, attacking and make a lot of birdies - the golf I like to play.'

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Nitrogan

I'm not really into Golf but I love the Ryder Cup. It helps that the Irish have been big contributors to Europe's success but nationality doesn't really matter much. It's just a great version of an otherwise dull sport to me.

I read that infamous article by the US journalist they called out at the post-win presser. Just brilliant. :)

• Subscribers Posts: 41,085 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Pdoghue wrote: »
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/golf/article-6243483/Ryder-Cup-waste-time-USAs-Phil-Mickelson-bemoans-brutal-rough-Le-Golf-National.html

'The Europeans did the opposite of what we do when we have the Ryder Cup here,' said the five-time major winner, who was one of Furyk's four wildcard picks. 'The fairways were 14 to 16 yards wide.

'Ben Hogan, who was the greatest ball striker of all time, had a five percent margin of error.

'So, if you hit the ball 300 yards, we all hit it more than that, you need to have a 30-yard wide fairway to be able to hit them.

'The fact is, they had brutal rough — almost unplayable — and it's not the way I play. I don't play like that.

'I'm 48, I'm not going to play tournaments with rough like that anymore. It's a waste of my time.

'I'm going to play courses that are playable and that I can play aggressive, attacking and make a lot of birdies - the golf I like to play.'

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

LOL..it was only a matter of time before Figjam had his Ryder Cup moan..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,558 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

The fairways could have been 100 yards wide and Phil wouldn't have hit them.

Yeah he missed horridly with an iron off the tee on the Friday avo iirc

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I think he's just being honest and nothing further to look into it than that.
    Loser? 5 time major winner, he ain't no loser.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Yeah Phil you're 48. Now go prepare for the Seinors Tour.

He shouldn't have been on the team. Jim picking his mates.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,088 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

slave1 wrote: »
    I think he's just being honest and nothing further to look into it than that.
    Loser? 5 time major winner, he ain't no loser.

+1

I think he was just being honest..."I have no interest in playing 'accuracy' golf" anymore.

and I think he has earned that right tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Yeah Phil you're 48. Now go prepare for the Seinors Tour.

He shouldn't have been on the team. Jim picking his mates.

In fairness to Furyk, when he named his picks Phil was an obvious choice. He'd just shot 63 on the Sunday, two days before the picks were made, he'd finished 15th and 12th in the two FedEx playoff events played up to that point, and had made 16 of the previous 18 cuts. There was no way he could've been left out.

It was only in the subsequent weeks before the RC that his game fell to pieces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Pdoghue wrote:

A good summing up of the PGA tour and exactly
    why Bjorn got it right in Paris.

NDWC wrote: »
    In fairness to Furyk, when he named his picks Phil was an obvious choice. He'd just shot 63 on the Sunday, two days before the picks were made, he'd finished 15th and 12th in the two FedEx playoff events played up to that point, and had made 16 of the previous 18 cuts. There was no way he could've been left out.

It was only in the subsequent weeks before the RC that his game fell to pieces.
    He's been all over the place all year though. I never thought he was a good choice. Certainly not on that course.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭wildrover444

Fair play to Phil he is tied for the lead at the safe way open at the moment . Fairways must be alot wider there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,567 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Fair play to Phil he is tied for the lead at the safe way open at the moment . Fairways must be alot wider there!!

safeairway more like

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

prawnsambo wrote: »
    He's been all over the place all year though. I never thought he was a good choice. Certainly not on that course.

It's funny, I always found it interesting that he did so well at US Opens despite his wild driving, in Furyk's mind maybe he could do the same in Paris?

Plus he was 10th in the points list, and he's Phil Mickelson. Can you imagine the backlash now if the US had lost without him on the team? Which they presumably would have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Pa8301

So Phil won't be playing anymore US Opens then from the sounds of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Pa8301 wrote: »
    So Phil won't be playing anymore US Opens then from the sounds of it.

I'm sure he will.

Six times runner up.

A win to complete the grand slam of major wins however improbable that outcome is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

seligehgit wrote: »
    I'm sure he will.

Six times runner up.

A win to complete the grand slam of major wins however improbable that outcome is.

In 2 years time Mickelson will be eligible and presumably playing on the Seniors Tour so his chances of winning or even competing in the US Open are running out fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I think the thing about US Opens is they were often set up in such a way that you could be severely punished for being even slightly off line so it was difficult for everybody. Plus he was always a great scrambler and putter so was able to give himself more chances.

Guess he just doesn’t have the energy for it anymore and who can blame him? Golf at top level should be a supreme test of a players all round game and nerve, not just simply a birdie blitz and count the zeroes on the post tournament cheque.

• Advertisement

NDWC wrote: »
    It's funny, I always found it interesting that he did so well at US Opens despite his wild driving, in Furyk's mind maybe he could do the same in Paris?

Plus he was 10th in the points list, and he's Phil Mickelson. Can you imagine the backlash now if the US had lost without him on the team? Which they presumably would have.
    This to me was the real reason he was picked. Yes he has played well in US Opens, but many of them had different tests than being accurate off the tee. Ridiculously fast greens or knee high rough were often the hazards and the fairways were wide enough not to be penal for all but the wildly inaccurate. And the above whinge is exactly why he wasn't a good choice. You didn't have to bomb it off the tee in Paris. There was plenty of room for the <300 yard drivers.

Edit: He missed a fairway by miles with a driving iron in his hand.

Advertisement