Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 Ryder Cup

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Benildus wrote: »
    I wonder was Paulina Gretzky a factor in their bustup......
    According to a Golf Digest article she was a 'central figure'. All very messy and a disaster for poor old Jim Furyk. I doubt he'll want the job again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

glasso wrote: »
    probably something about the wife!

you know it's been a Ryder cup where the golf wasn't exciting when all the stories are about US bust-ups.

Always better when it’s a nail biter of course, but I still thought it was a good contest and a spectacular golf course added immensely to it. There was actually a spell midway through the singles where Europe went from 1/100 in the betting to around 1/5 in the space of 20 or 25 minutes which was kind of exciting. For a while it did look as if it was in the balance, didn’t need an awful lot more for a serious momentum shift.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Benildus wrote: »
    I wonder was Paulina Gretzky a factor in their bustup......

Specifically what happened to cause Johnson and Koepka to be separated is unclear. A source told Golf Digest that Paulina Gretzky, Johnson's fiancee, was a central figure in the incident. Koepka's girlfriend, Jena Sims, was also involved.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/dustin-johnson-brooks-koepka-paulina-gretzky-and-others-reportedly-separated-at-ryder-cup-party-koepkas-representation-refutes-story

Seems to be the case. You can see how something could have kicked off. Gretzky had deleted all photos of DJ on her instagram in the weeks before the RC. Clearly there must be problems in the relationship. She may have said something snarky to an equally glamorous Sims and Koepka or Sims might have called her on her snark.

DJ already in the doghouse see's that he has to step up (or else) to defend Gretzky. He for example might tell Sims/Koepka to not speak to her like that/STFU/she didn't mean anything by that/yadda yadda yadda. Throw in a few expletives here and there, a hefty quantity of booze and you can see them squaring up to each other to defend their partners, things get heated and they are dragged apart. Needless to say that is all guessing obviously. The 'central figure' remark being an interesting insight so to speak.

glasso wrote: »
    probably something about the wife!

you know it's been a Ryder cup where the golf wasn't exciting when all the stories are about US bust-ups.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/dustin-johnson-brooks-koepka-paulina-gretzky-and-others-reportedly-separated-at-ryder-cup-party-koepkas-representation-refutes-story
    Specifically what happened to cause Johnson and Koepka to be separated is unclear. A source told Golf Digest that Paulina Gretzky, Johnson's fiancee, was a central figure in the incident. Koepka's girlfriend, Jena Sims, was also involved.

maybe she was wearing a little white dress and there were stairs

valoren wrote: »

Seems to be the case. You can see how something could have kicked off. Gretzky had deleted all photos of DJ on her instagram in the weeks before the RC. Clearly there must be problems in the relationship. She may have said something snarky to an equally glamorous Sims and Koepka or Sims might have called her on her snark.

DJ already in the doghouse see's that he has to step up (or else) to defend Gretzky. He for example might tell Sims/Koepka to not speak to her like that/STFU/she didn't mean anything by that/yadda yadda yadda. Throw in a few expletives here and there, a hefty quantity of booze and you can see them squaring up to each other to defend their partners, things get heated and they are dragged apart. Needless to say that is all guessing obviously. The 'central figure' remark being an interesting insight so to speak.
    There was a bust up between them on the plane over. That's why they weren't paired until the very last session. It just blew up again at the party.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Is it true that a spectators eye exploded after being hit with a ball?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

joeguevara wrote: »
    Is it true that a spectators eye exploded after being hit with a ball?

There is literally a thread underneath this one discussing it. Also Google is your friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭joeguevara

kiers47 wrote: »
    There is literally a thread underneath this one discussing it. Also Google is your friend.

Wasn’t in the golf section so didn’t see a thread. You are right about google but didn’t want to see pictures. But you are right. Apologies.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    There was a bust up between them on the plane over. That's why they weren't paired until the very last session. It just blew up again at the party.

yes but odds on that Paulina was instrumental in kicking it off for a rematch at the dinner.
    I'd say she'd wreck your head but it would be worth it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,722 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

All sorts of rumours coming out on this wonder which ones are true.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

All sorts of rumours coming out on this wonder which ones are true.
    Well the bust up at the dinner was very public, so not likely to be a rumour. The one on the plane likewise and the reports are coming from witnesses. Patrick Reed's hissy fit about not playing with Jordan came from an interview he did with the NYT. It's all pretty easily backed up.

Well the bust up at the dinner was very public, so not likely to be a rumour. The one on the plane likewise and the reports are coming from witnesses. Patrick Reed's hissy fit about not playing with Jordan came from an interview he did with the NYT. It's all pretty easily backed up.

What caused the bust up though?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

What caused the bust up though?
    Don't know. There are no rumours about that. Does it actually matter? These are grown men going to play for their country and they couldn't put their personal issues to one side for it. And then add to the indignity of the whole thing by almost coming to blows in front of their erstwhile opponents.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,343 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I didn't get to see Sunday live so recorded it and have been avoiding all Ryder cup talk until today.

Great win for Europe.

Now to catch up on all the drama

• Registered Users Posts: 20,806 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Rikand wrote: »
    I didn't get to see Sunday live so recorded it and have been avoiding all Ryder cup talk until today.

Great win for Europe.

are you saying you avoided full result :confused::D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,343 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

are you saying you avoided full result :confused::D

Yep lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,078 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Rikand wrote: »

Great win for Europe.

If you do not wish to know the result of the Ryder cup, lock yourself away in a darkened room without any electronic devices for two days, now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

The Ryder Cup has become my favourite golfing event. The permutations and twists make for such compelling TV. Those who query the authenticity of the emotion shown should review Justin Thomas’s singles match against Rory where he repeatedly said things he had to hide into his glove when he missed putts.

If we lose next time, I hope the players don’t descend into recrimination as the Yanks have done. You do your best and that’s all anyone can expect of players or selectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Irishdaywalker

NDWC wrote: »
    This is awful, from what I remember though there were definitely shouts of fore.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/oct/01/brooks-koepka-ryder-cup-spectator

I can't think of any other public event where spectators would be allowed stand in such close proximity to an incoming rock hard projectile with such a high possibility of missing it's target and entering the area spectators are permitted to stand.  The only other sport with such fluid spectator movement in close proximity to danger that I can think of is rally driving/motorcycle TT racing.

I assume the T&C's of the ticket spectators purchase somehow signs away their right to a compensation claim if hit be a wayward shot providing the protocol of the player or his caddie shouting "fore" is adhered to.

It's always amazed me how standard Health & Safety measures seem to be suspended in order to allow spectators stand close to the edge of fairways and around greens and in particular when a player is hitting from the rough.  There are frequently camera angles from behind the player and it looks like he is hitting a shot through a very narrow gap of spectators to the green.  A mi**** shot or shank and someone is getting a speeding bullet of a ball straight into them!!
    Agree. . . There was a shot during the ryder cup when Dustin Johnson was playing a shot with the camera behind him. .  he was in all sorts of bother in heavy rough . . ball lay below his feet . . and there was crowds literally 3 ft to his right all the way up to the top of the hill and and a narrow gap to get through, at the time i was thinking i would fancy being one of the spectators there . . easily could have shanked it !

Don't know. There are no rumours about that. Does it actually matter?

Absolutely, these are best buds almost coming to blows twice in public. Must be something serious to set them off.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Ardillaun wrote: »
    The Ryder Cup has become my favourite golfing event. The permutations and twists make for such compelling TV. Those who query the authenticity of the emotion shown should review Justin Thomas’s singles match against Rory where he repeatedly said things he had to hide into his glove when he missed putts.

If we lose next time, I hope the players don’t descend into recrimination as the Yanks have done. You do your best and that’s all anyone can expect of players or selectors.
    We lost at Hazeltine and afaik there were no such recriminations. Even though many thought Darren Clarke a poor choice for captain, he got the full support of his team.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

Great chat with Harrington on Newstalk last night. Worth digging out.
    The stuff about Europe hit 5% more fairways than the US in the last Ryder cup, so this course was setup with heavy rough to make it a hitting the fairway 'competition' was very interesting. plus slowing the greens to an 11-12 rather than the US 14 speed, all was worth 2 points to the home team . Seems the yanks had made it a 'birdie' competition last time out when adapting their course.

Some real insight into the mental game also .

Im still on the fence if he should be Captain. Id have no worries if he was vice-Captain and Im sure he contributed alot to this win in that role.. but as the main man, Im not feeling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭benny79

I'd prefer him to be captain in Europe as its very hard to win on American soil as home advantage is a big plus..

RIGOLO wrote: »
    Great chat with Harrington on Newstalk last night. Worth digging out.
    The stuff about Europe hit 5% more fairways than the US in the last Ryder cup, so this course was setup with heavy rough to make it a hitting the fairway 'competition' was very interesting. plus slowing the greens to an 11-12 rather than the US 14 speed, all was worth 2 points to the home team . Seems the yanks had made it a 'birdie' competition last time out when adapting their course.

Some real insight into the mental game also .

Im still on the fence if he should be Captain. Id have no worries if he was vice-Captain and Im sure he contributed alot to this win in that role.. but as the main man, Im not feeling it.
    He's been a vice captain a number of times, not just this one. I think his first was under Paul McGinley in 2014 and then again with Darren Clarke in 2016.

We lost at Hazeltine and afaik there were no such recriminations. Even though many thought Darren Clarke a poor choice for captain, he got the full support of his team.

I don't think think we will either. The Europeans have a great team spirit, enabling the lads to try their best and leave it at that. They seem to be able to park their egos for the week.

When Sir Nick congratulated Sergio's record, he mentioned how long he had previously held it. Sergio must have enjoyed saying this:

So when SkyTV caught up with Garcia and asked what it felt like to hit the all-time mark felt, the 2017 Masters champ let loose:

“This means a lot to me,” Garcia said. “I have passed some of my heroes today—and Nick Faldo.”

• Registered Users Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭54and56

benny79 wrote: »
    I'd prefer him to be captain in Europe as its very hard to win on American soil as home advantage is a big plus..

He's won big on the US Tour so knows how to set about shaping a team to win where it's a long drive + birdie type shoot out and is generally liked and respected over there so of the potential candidates Europe have he is probably the most suited and up for the challenge.

I wouldn't want to be stuck on a desert island with Harrington but overall I think he'd make a good choice as captain. He's a numbers and details guy and was successful at the very top.

The Yanks will tweak the course to make driving easier. That and the fans will be the big home advantages.

He's won big on the US Tour so knows how to set about shaping a team to win where it's a long drive + birdie type shoot out and is generally liked and respected over there so of the potential candidates Europe have he is probably the most suited and up for the challenge.
    I don't think Whistling Straits can be set up that way. It's a links style course with a lot of trouble if you go offline. Easy pin positions may help, but half the battle is getting there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Russman

I don't think Whistling Straits can be set up that way. It's a links style course with a lot of trouble if you go offline. Easy pin positions may help, but half the battle is getting there.

Didn't they shoot mad scores though the last time they were there ? -20 or something ? Can't really remember tbh, is that where J Day got his major ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Russman wrote: »
    Didn't they shoot mad scores though the last time they were there ? -20 or something ? Can't really remember tbh, is that where J Day got his major ?

Yep I think it was day first spieth 2nd

Advertisement