Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 Ryder Cup

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,600 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Of all the recent European victories this was the most impressive for me, considering the strength of the US team.

Didn't make for much of a spectacle mind. I still enjoyed it but I'd love another Celtic Manor/Medinah style thriller.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Trampas

Harrington should go for captain next time as who knows he could miss his place.

I wonder will Phil or Eldrick ever become a captain as let’s be honest they wouldn’t be known for people who hang out with other players so hard to see them be captain and play the whole team leader but who knows

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

McDowell really? He's more American the some of the Americans.

He was a vice captain this time and possibly in 2016 as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Trampas wrote: »
    Harrington should go for captain next time as who knows he could miss his place.

I wonder will Phil or Eldrick ever become a captain as let’s be honest they wouldn’t be known for people who hang out with other players so hard to see them be captain and play the whole team leader but who knows

I would think Mickelson is a certainty for captain in the next few years, Woods possibly not though he was a vice captain in 2016 and was supposed to be in the same role this time until he was named as a wildcard.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

I would think Mickelson is a certainty for captain in the next few years, Woods possibly not though he was a vice captain in 2016 and was supposed to be in the same role this time until he was named as a wildcard.

Tiger and Phil will get the Ryder cup captaincy for certain. Phil has prob played his last one, if Tiger stays fit he will play the next one . USA don't have a queue of captains as such. Stricker may have missed the boat . Kuchar doesn't stand out as a captain. Zach Johnson, Phil then Tiger id suggest .

• Advertisement

I think Michelson said before he wanted to be a playing captain I doubt he will get to achieve that but a shoe in for captain at some point

• Registered Users Posts: 16,083 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Bjorns done pretty well at it.

Yeah I guess looking back charisma or lack thereof in Ryder Cup captains only becomes an issue in defeat. Not too many chat show hosts would have either Mark James or Ian Woosnam on speed dial, but nobody cared in the latter's case after he delivered at the K Club...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Very strange how Europe gets the team thing going, considering it's just a bunch of countries and the USA is a single country. Logic would suggest it should be the other way round. Is it some kind of inferiority complex that binds them? There's no sense to why they should be so passionate about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

What do you want them to do.Live in cold and misery in europe full time and damage there overall careers just so the Ryder Cup can have more meaning for you.

All the players are from Europe all the players started their careers on the european tour.

Are European Basketball players who chose to play in the NBA any less european because they play in the NBA.

The contest is a bit of a strange dynamic now. I personally think it's a bit OTT. The Europeans, McGinley, et al. take it so seriously, and prepare so assiduously for it, but really it's only an exhibition at the end of the day. One of the reasons it became so big in the 80s was the rise of the golden generation of Euro golfers: Seve, Langer, Faldo, et al. and the cult of Seve in particular who felt the need to put it up to the Americans. It became competitive after '79 when continental Europe came on board. Back then most of the European team played on the European Tour. Now, as someone said above, a lot of these European players play on the PGA tour, live in the US and are chummy with the US players. So I don't really get why they get so up for it. I suppose the rise of Sky has a lot to do with it. And the European Tour's dependence on the Ryder Cup for a lot of its revenue. And or course the Sky deal with the European Tour plays into that, now extended to 2022.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

Very strange how Europe gets the team thing going, considering it's just a bunch of countries and the USA is a single country. Logic would suggest it should be the other way round. Is it some kind of inferiority complex that binds them? There's no sense to why they should be so passionate about it.

The whole world just loves beating the yanks at anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

Pdoghue wrote: »
    The contest is a bit of a strange dynamic now. I personally think it's a bit OTT. The Europeans, McGinley, et al. take it so seriously, and prepare so assiduously for it, but really it's only an exhibition at the end of the day. One of the reasons it became so big in the 80s was the rise of the golden generation of Euro golfers: Seve, Langer, Faldo, et al. and the cult of Seve in particular who felt the need to put it up to the Americans. It became competitive after '79 when continental Europe came on board. Back then most of the European team played on the European Tour. Now, as someone said above, a lot of these European players play on the PGA tour, live in the US and are chummy with the US players. So I don't really get why they get so up for it. I suppose the rise of Sky has a lot to do with it. And the European Tour's dependence on the Ryder Cup for a lot of its revenue. And or course the Sky deal with the European Tour plays into that, now extended to 2022.

I imagine it's essentially some degree of inferiority complex european golfers have compared to their American counterparts.Also several players have built careers based on the Ryder Cup if Ian Poulter, Montgomerie didn't have their Ryder Cup records their careers wouldn't have been hugely memorable (in spite of both having excellent careers).Paul McGinley had barely anything in his career apart from his Ryder Cup exploits (of which he'll never let us forget about :D) .Also it's hard not to get up for it when you see the support and the way the fans get up for it.

When they showed the Sunday Papers on Match of Day last night I noticed on the 3 back pages they showed that the Ryder Cup feature heavily on the back pages.The amount of media coverage the Ryder Cup gets for golf and the way it draws in people who aren't really golf fans shows how massive an event it is it's probably bigger than the 4 majors for getting media coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I imagine it's essentially some degree of inferiority complex european golfers have compared to their American counterparts.Also several players have built careers based on the Ryder Cup if Ian Poulter, Montgomerie didn't have their Ryder Cup records their careers wouldn't have been hugely memorable (in spite of both having excellent careers).Paul McGinley had barely anything in his career apart from his Ryder Cup exploits (of which he'll never let us forget about :D) .Also it's hard not to get up for it when you see the support and the way the fans get up for it.

When they showed the Sunday Papers on Match of Day last night I noticed on the 3 back pages they showed that the Ryder Cup feature heavily on the back pages.The amount of media coverage the Ryder Cup gets for golf and the way it draws in people who aren't really golf fans shows how massive an event it is it's probably bigger than the 4 majors for getting media coverage.

Agree with a lot of that, though slightly harsh on McGinley (Volvo masters and World Cup victories among others) and just not right on Monty who had a great career despite falling short in the majors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Paul McGinley and Darren Clarke are on the selection committee for next captain (last 3 captains) so it's surely gonna be Harrington for 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

RikkFlair wrote:
    Paul McGinley and Darren Clarke are on the selection committee for next captain (last 3 captains) so it's surely gonna be Harrington for 2020.

Not necessarily so. Clarke tried to put the knife into McGinley near the deadline date for selection - in favour of Montgomery, who wanted a 2nd captaincy. Understandably things were cool between Clarke & McGinley after that. So one never knows

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Dr Devious wrote: »
    I forgot Henryk Stenson and Justin Rose as future shoo ins; both probably have played their last Ryder cups.

The fella who was world #1 this time last week has now played his last Ryder Cup. If you say so...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

It means more to Europe cos they don’t win majors as much the USA . Surely a whole continent v a country is unfair lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

Agree with a lot of that, though slightly harsh on McGinley (Volvo masters and World Cup victories among others) and just not right on Monty who had a great career despite falling short in the majors.

Monty did have an excellent career.Problem is nobody can remember a lot of his non ryder cup successes because he never did it in a major.I doubt many people can remember many of his individual tournament wins just that he did win lots of tournaments. When it comes down to it pretty much every golfer will be remembered for his exploits in majors whether that's fair or not it's the truth.But people will always remember Montgomerie for his Ryder Cup exploits.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,167 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Press conference was funny, id say they are on a mad one tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 17,724 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I think Michelson said before he wanted to be a playing captain I doubt he will get to achieve that but a shoe in for captain at some point

I'd say if Michelson was captain he'd pick himself as a wildcard.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Monty did have an excellent career.Problem is nobody can remember a lot of his non ryder cup successes because he never did it in a major.I doubt many people can remember many of his individual tournament wins just that he did win lots of tournaments. When it comes down to it pretty much every golfer will be remembered for his exploits in majors whether that's fair or not it's the truth.But people will always remember Montgomerie for his Ryder Cup exploits.

Yes majors largely dictate reputation and personally I think that’s how it should be. They are the pinnacle of the game after all. However, when it comes to Montgomerie the first thing that comes to my mind is the 7 (or was it 8) order of merits in a row. That was a remarkable achievement, thoroughly dominating European golf at a time when that really meant something. I guess people might forget what a huge deal that was at the time, so you may be right about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,724 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Yes majors largely dictate reputation and personally I think that’s how it should be. They are the pinnacle of the game after all. However, when it comes to Montgomerie the first thing that comes to my mind is the 7 (or was it 8) order of merits in a row. That was a remarkable achievement, thoroughly dominating European golf at a time when that really meant something. I guess people might forget what a huge deal that was at the time, so you may be right about it.

True, winning majors is a good indication but I'm sure if 3 of the majors were held in Scotland every year he'd have won a half dozen. Think this is something which gets largely overlooked. Same for the Irish players and everyone outside of the US.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

True, winning majors is a good indication but I'm sure if 3 of the majors were held in Scotland every year he'd have won a half dozen. Think this is something which gets largely overlooked. Same for the Irish players and everyone outside of the US.

Yeah pga tour is a monster, personally i’d like if the 4th major was staged on the continent somewhere but just never gonna happen.

Funnily enough though, Monty’s Open record was ordinary enough, the US open style courses were the ones made for him. Ridiculous really he never got the job done, was never a fan but the sh!t he had to contend with from the galleries was appalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,281 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I like Brooks Koepka's analysis: "“The Europeans kept making those 10-12 footers for par all week, We ran into a buzzsaw.” :)

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Was there much word about what magical celebrity guest speakers and gimmicks Bjorn used to prepare the team? I remember reading an amount about it when McGinley was captain and he seems to bring his captaincy up quite a bit when he's on non-ryder cup duties (including his current stint on an allianz ad). Feels like Bjorn is more understated?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Wouldn't want to be European captain next. USA will walk it as they will ensure course will suit them.

Wouldn't want to be European captain next. USA will walk it as they will ensure course will suit them.

Whistling straits is probably as close to a UK/Ire style links course as you’ll get on the pga tour but I’d guess it will be set up without the kind of rough we saw in France this weekend. Always thought it looked a fairly daunting set-up but was a bit dismayed how the pros took it apart during the 2015 pga.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Spideog Rua

Wonder will next captain will be Harrington or if he'll he screwed over. I'd expect Clarke and Bjorn to pick their mate Westwood over Padraig.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭ridonkulous

Wonder will next captain will be Harrington or if he'll he screwed over. I'd expect Clarke and Bjorn to pick their mate Westwood over Padraig.

I think Padraig will gamble on the 2026 Ryder Cup being held in Adare Manor and not put himself forward for it until then. There is also the chance of the Italian course not being ready for 2022 and Adare have come forward and said that they'd be willing to step in if needed. So I'd say it is either of those he'll go for. In the meantime the lads can pick their mate, it worked for Bjorn this week :D

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

Thank you to all you folks on The Golf forum and Ryder Cup thread for adding to the enjoyment of this win over the last week.

I certainly enjoyed both the Ryder Cup and the company of ye all.
    It made a pleasant change from all the angst, dis-respect and general poor behaviour we sadly see so often these days in many other highly paid sporting stars and events..

I found it refreshing. I have to say Im not a major golf nut, I am a big sports fan.
    My 2 young boys really got caught up in this Ryder Cup (we have supporters of both teams in the family) and it was a relaxing change to be able let them embrace it all and pick up some of the aspects , the competition, the sportsmanship, the respect, the pride in the jersey, the tension , immense pressure but also the good natured banter and rivalry . I have to say all these positives came across from many of you posters in the thread too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Pa8301

That's always the way though. Course is set up in accordance with the home team captain's instructions. Hazeltine was set up to massively favour the U.S. in 2016. The rough was cut way down to suit the bombers on the U.S team. It just underscores how big an achievement it is for teams to win away from home.

Advertisement