Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 Ryder Cup

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Nice to finally get a sleep in this morning after an exhausting past fe days. Those early starts were worth it though. What an experience. It’s true you probably don’t get to watch as many golf shots as you would on tv but nothing beats being there to experience the true atmosphere.

Can’t say enough good things about the course. Simply spectacular.

After a disappointing first session, Europe got there act together and really drove on. Molinari being the main man. What a player. Just give him player of the year already. Woods won’t want to see him for awhile.

Delighted to see Rahm and Olesen pick up crucial wins in the singles and mean everyone contributed to the win. Mean a huge amount to them. It really does seem true that the Europeans are just more of the team with all the stuff coming out now from the American side with Reed and Speith.

Already looking forward to whistling straights. We will still have a good chance over there as it’s basically a links and a lot of our players have still played at the course previously. As for the captains, I’d expect Stricker for the US but not sure about Europe. I’d have Westwood in Rome and Harrington in Bethpage due do the Irish connection with New York.

Allez le Bleus

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Irishdaywalker

Wouldn't want to be European captain next. USA will walk it as they will ensure course will suit them.

Wonder will next captain will be Harrington or if he'll he screwed over.  I'd expect Clarke and Bjorn to pick their mate Westwood over Padraig.
    To be fair Clarke & Bjorn both picked Padraig as a vice captain for their stints as captain - I heard an interview with harrington recently stating he wants to be captain soon before he is forgotten about in golfing terms, 2026 would be a long time for him to wait IMO, if he was to get the captaincy I think it will be in 4 years time. He would want to have control of the set up of the course I would say. Westwood possibly has ideas on being on the next Ryder Cup side in the states. . so you could be looking at someone like Paul Lawrie? Jimenez would be another option but he is playing on the seniors tour now so may not get a chance to see first hand potential players like Mcginely, clarke and Bjorn did.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Looks like inevitable US recriminations have started with Reed, no surprise there you’d say! Suggests Spieth didn’t want to play with him and that egos got in way of US efforts while his own ego showed in his obvious anger at being benched twice.

All feels like old ground when it comes to this tournament. I suspect too that DJ was sulking a bit because Furyk wouldn’t pair him with Brooks. Only supposition on my part though. I’d add that I do think that was a mistake by Furyk, but at same time it emphasizes the point that Europe had so many more options in terms of pairings. There are no cliques in the team which you simply can’t say of their rivals.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Europe has won 9 of the last 12 Ryder Cups, including 3 held in the US. So much for the inferiority complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Looks like inevitable US recriminations have started with Reed, no surprise there you’d say! Suggests Spieth didn’t want to play with him and that egos got in way of US efforts while his own ego showed in his obvious anger at being benched twice.

All feels like old ground when it comes to this tournament. I suspect too that DJ was sulking a bit because Furyk wouldn’t pair him with Brooks. Only supposition on my part though. I’d add that I do think that was a mistake by Furyk, but at same time it emphasizes the point that Europe had so many more options in terms of pairings. There are no cliques in the team which you simply can’t say of their rivals.
    Yeah. The irony seems to be lost on Reed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

That bit where he says they were asked to list their preferred partners was interesting. I guess Spieth didn’t list Reed among his top two anyway! I wonder if anyone did. I would pay good money to see a list of everyone’s choices, would make for fascinating reading I’m certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Russman

To be fair Clarke & Bjorn both picked Padraig as a vice captain for their stints as captain - I heard an interview with harrington recently stating he wants to be captain soon before he is forgotten about in golfing terms, 2026 would be a long time for him to wait IMO, if he was to get the captaincy I think it will be in 4 years time. He would want to have control of the set up of the course I would say. Westwood possibly has ideas on being on the next Ryder Cup side in the states. . so you could be looking at someone like Paul Lawrie? Jimenez would be another option but he is playing on the seniors tour now so may not get a chance to see first hand potential players like Mcginely, clarke and Bjorn did.

I'd say its next time round for Harrington and then Westwood for 2022 in Italy, possibly the other way round but I doubt it. I think the logic is that PH is more recognisable over there than Westwood. Maybe a bit of a poisoned chalice as the course will probably be set up for the bombers a la Hazeltine and winning away from home is just hard to do.
    If PH doesn't get it in 2020 it might just pass him by, but 3 Majors should keep him in the hunt for 2022 anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I'd be shocked if Harrington wasn't captain at some point, considering hes a 3 time Major winner and one of the best ever European Tour players. Westwood will definitely captain a team as well, assuming they both want it, obviously. Jimenez is another good candidate.

Was thinking over the weekend, considering there's a pretty competitive Seniors tour I'm surprised there's never been talking of a senior Ryder Cup. Would be cool to see Monty/Langer/Olazabal etc teeing it up again against the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Fairly sure i seen an interview with Harrington where he mentioned that he would rather be an away captain possibly for 2020. Perhaps it was in his OTB interview from a month or so back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,078 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Was thinking over the weekend, considering there's a pretty competitive Seniors tour I'm surprised there's never been talking of a senior Ryder Cup. Would be cool to see Monty/Langer/Olazabal etc teeing it up again against the US.

On a related note, the new Laver Cup is apparently intended to replicate the Ryder Cup buzz in tennis. Only the Europeans have a stronger sense of identity in this case as they're up against 'Team World'.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

6.5 points delivered by Bjorn's wildcard picks.
    2 points delivered by Furyk's wildcard pick Finau.

The other 3, nadda. Even worse when you see that Bjorn had 3 to pick whereas Furyk had the seeming luxury of 4 wildcards.

Bjorn took some criticism in the lead up by picking an out of form Garcia. The notion of giving mates a nod came into question.
    Yet he got 3 points so Bjorn was vindicated. Same could be said for picking Woods and Phil. I guess the Tiger comeback came full circle the past few weeks i.e. winning on tour and then disappointment at the Ryder Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

Am I the only one sick of Poulter's schtick, with chest beating, contorted face, air punching etc.?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

_103639817_woods_getty.jpg

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

I was quite surprised that both Mickelson and Woods were taken along. Both are only mediocre points scorers having lost more than they've won in previous Ryder cups and neither are exactly team players.
    Woods especially is only beginning to find form and seems very fragile mentally.
    Mickelson won in january and since then not a Top 10 finish and was a long way off in some tournaments. Neither won so much as a half a point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Pa8301

valoren wrote: »
    6.5 points delivered by Bjorn's wildcard picks.
    2 points delivered by Furyk's wildcard pick Finau.

The other 3, nadda.

Bjorn took some criticism in the lead up by picking Garcia. The notion of giving mates a nod came into question.
    Yet he got 3 points so Bjorn was vindicated. Same could be said for picking Woods and Phil. I guess the Tiger comeback came full circle the past few weeks i.e. winning on tour and then disappointment at the Ryder Cup.

I must admit I thought Bjorn left himself as a hostage to fortune picking Garcia but he was completely vindicated.

I don't think Furyk can be hammered too much for his wild card picks. They were the obvious choices. Finau did pretty well for him. Tiger was always going to be picked if he was playing halfway decent. Dechambeau couldn't really have been left out after his wins. Mickelson turned out to be an horrendous pick but at the time he was picked he had just finished outside the qualifying mark and had won the WGC in Mexico this year. This allied with his (not always positive) Ryder Cup experience, I can see why he was picked.

I think the US were also hampered by having players qualify from great golf too long ago and not in form at all recently e.g. Bubba and Reed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Pa8301 wrote: »
    I must admit I thought Bjorn left himself as a hostage to fortune picking Garcia but he was completely vindicated.

I don't think Furyk can be hammered too much for his wild card picks. They were the obvious choices. Finau did pretty well for him. Tiger was always going to be picked if he was playing halfway decent. Dechambeau couldn't really have been left out after his wins. Mickelson turned out to be an horrendous pick but at the time he was picked he had just finished outside the qualifying mark and had won the WGC in Mexico this year. This allied with his (not always positive) Ryder Cup experience, I can see why he was picked.

I think they were obvious choices as in two to leave at home. Just my opinion but no surprise to me so see them contribute nothing and probably drag the team down.

Pa8301 wrote: »

Agreed, really nothing wrong with either Captain's picks in fairness.
    Just felt sorry for they way they were paired off, Woods with a brual Reed and Phil in foursomes, that was just plain stupid

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Hindsight is great. Sher people were absolutely up in arms about Sergio getting picked and he didnt do to bad.

As i said before the ryder cup captain is probably the most over rated job in world sport. Golf is so volatile that you are a complete hostage to fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    I'd be shocked if Harrington wasn't captain at some point, considering hes a 3 time Major winner and one of the best ever European Tour players. Westwood will definitely captain a team as well, assuming they both want it, obviously. Jimenez is another good candidate.

Can't wait for Jimenez to get the captaincy. That will be fun. Probably 6 years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Jimenez English isn't the best, with the speeches and all that, especially if he's after throwin back half a bottle of wine :D
    Am I the only one sick of Poulter's schtick, with chest beating, contorted face, air punching etc.?

I'd ****ing hate him if I was American that's for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

kiers47 wrote: »
    Hindsight is great. Sher people were absolutely up in arms about Sergio getting picked and he didnt do to bad.

As i said before the ryder cup captain is probably the most over rated job in world sport. Golf is so volatile that you are a complete hostage to fortune.

The US Ryder Cup captaincy has become the golf equivalent of what used to be the England manager's job. A poison chalice. High profile, prestigious and lucrative but ultimately destined for perpetual disappointment and then hounded by the media.

The US Ryder Cup teams are the equivalent of the England squads which featured an embarrassment of riches for selection. They were super players with their clubs but as a collective team they disappointed.

Look at the improvement in England's squad since dispensing with the ageing star players i.e. Beckham, Rooney, Lampard, Gerrard, Cole et al. They reached the semi finals this year with a 'Europe' like ego-free collective mentality. A big improvement all told.

What else can Furyk think?

He had a team with 9 major winners on it. They are really good golfers, he doesn't need to tell them how to get the ball in the hole. Form wise, 6 of the last 7 major winners were in his team. And they lost. Again.

There is only 7 majors collectively between the whole of the European team, the majority of them belonging to McIlroy.

Maybe a solution to that would be a rolling captaincy, at a minimum they should get a home and away go at the role before reserving judgement. It should not become a once off gig. Look at how Davis Love got a second stab at it. They won well, second time around albeit with home advantage. So let go the idea of Task Forces and all that. The PGA of America should be talking to Furyk and planning his right of reply at Whistling Straits.

You know, an independent venue every third holding might be interesting

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

slave1 wrote: »
    You know, an independent venue every third holding might be interesting

The Ryder Cup is largely all about the atmosphere that home support generates. If that was diluted by moving it to a neutral continent it would seriously devalue the competition in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

The Ryder Cup team captains should have a completely free hand to pick whoever they wanted on the team irrespective of rankings, in other words all picks should be wild cards. Some golfers are just not cut out for match play and fitting in to a team mentality. Current form and attitude should be prioritised over ranking.

Roger_007 wrote: »
    ...Current form and attitude should be prioritised over ranking.

This could be partly achieved by reducing the qualification period to the last 4 months or so...

Can't wait for Jimenez to get the captaincy. That will be fun. Probably 6 years time.

Could be sooner, he's mid 50s now. I'd say he'd want it before he's 60 but it'd definitely be good craic! Man's a legend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Pa8301

prawnsambo wrote: »

I don't know what Reed was hoping to achieve with that interview apart from having a bitch about not being picked with his favoured partner and being dropped. All it's done is make it less likely that Speith will ever want to play with him again! And he was lucky to play 3 games considering the rubbish he was playing. He couldn't hit a fairway in the second morning fourballs.

At least when Mickelson had his tirade against Watson in 2014 it seemed like he was trying to start a debate on what needed to be done to give the US a better chance in Ryder Cups.

Advertisement