Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 Ryder Cup

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Quintis

Bubba definitely making the team, not many would of picked him on last years form

• Registered Users Posts: 20,768 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Shane hasn't a hope imo unless he starts winning a few tournaments plenty of lads ahead of him.

Do people not think Shane can win a few events ?

HIs putting has been brutal - but I'd epect him to come good again.

By the way - I haven't much of him in a while ?

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/golf/gary-murphy-column-shane-lowrys-12260347

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

He's a very streaky player. 1 really good week, 10 **** ones

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Things shaping up nicely imo. Watson making the team is no harm at all from a European standpoint, even if his most recent win was a matchplay event. He's jittery at the best of times and if his record is anything to go by, thats amplified times a million in the Ryder Cup. Plus we all know how much he loves France ;)

If Tiger shows any form at all, hel be picked too; again, its the Ryder Cup and the course has water everywhere. No harm! Spieth and Fowler both off the boil. J.T playing well but will be a first timer so hard to know how hel react. D.J has been quiet. You would be worried about Reed showing a bit of form. As much as I dislike him, Ive been hugely impressed by his bottle in the last couple of events.

Having said that, I think somebody like Tyrell Hatton might be a good foil for Reed. Equally dislikeable but hates losing and a great putter. I think hel thrive in September, a natural successor to Poulter if ever there was one. Another likely rookie is Noren who has a game thats made for le Golf Nationale. Absolute machine from tee to green and doesnt seem to miss left, and confidence must be as high as its ever been. Ditto Fleetwood. Rahm is a proper worldbeater, a powerhouse who will fear nobody.

Stalwarts such as Rory, Garcia, Rose, Stenson you cant see not being there. They have not and will not let anyone down. I dont think Westwood will make this edition, and thats no harm. Nerves got to him in 2016 so better to look elsewhere this time.

I reckon Cabrera Bello might sneak his way in. Would like to see Luiton make it also, really shouldve played the RC before now. Weisberger the same, and Alex Levy would be a good shout imo. Should make for a stronger plan B than 2016 whatever happens (Willett, Wood, Sullivan etc).

Dont hold much hope for Lowry. Failure to address fitness issues combined with decision to play both tours to his detriment. Not to mention juggling golf with fatherhood.Dunne and Harrington need a massive 6 months, dont see it happening for either. Still think McDowell has half a shot, although his dump in rd4 at Riviera will have worried him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

The event doesn't do much for me unless there is a real Irish interest.

By that, I would be looking for Paul Dunne or Shane Lowry to be in it.

Padraig not looking likely and Seamus Power not in the mix.

The course set up was a joke last time - Bomb , pitch and putt. It made a nonsense of it from a golfing perspective.

I normally get into it as it goes on - but fingers crossed and looking good for Paul and maybe a good chance for Shane.

We always have Rory - but not the same for me.. ( that is just a me thing)

Id be with you here Fix. Really couldn't give a toss if Europe win or lose tbh. It doesn't really get any juices going for me.
    I enjoy watching the eb and flow of some of the foursomes and fourball matches but im not to bothered of the outcome either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

kiers47 wrote: »
    Id be with you here Fix. Really couldn't give a toss if Europe win or lose tbh. It doesn't really get any juices going for me.
    I enjoy watching the eb and flow of some of the foursomes and fourball matches but im not to bothered of the outcome either way.

Ah you say that now but the morning of the ryder cup you'll be glued to it ;)

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Ah you say that now but the morning of the ryder cup you'll be glued to it ;)

Ill definitely watch it. Im not saying that. Im just saying that i couldn't care less who wins it. ;)
    I enjoy a good match more than the actual result. That Rose/Mickelson match a few years ago was unreal.
    Well maybe if i have a financial interest(which is highly possible) then i will care a bit more. But even then i wouldn't tend to get to emotionally involved in a bet either.

Things shaping up nicely imo. Watson making the team is no harm at all from a European standpoint, even if his most recent win was a matchplay event. He's jittery at the best of times and if his record is anything to go by, thats amplified times a million in the Ryder Cup. Plus we all know how much he loves France ;)

If Tiger shows any form at all, hel be picked too; again, its the Ryder Cup and the course has water everywhere. No harm! Spieth and Fowler both off the boil. J.T playing well but will be a first timer so hard to know how hel react. D.J has been quiet. You would be worried about Reed showing a bit of form. As much as I dislike him, Ive been hugely impressed by his bottle in the last couple of events.

Having said that, I think somebody like Tyrell Hatton might be a good foil for Reed. Equally dislikeable but hates losing and a great putter. I think hel thrive in September, a natural successor to Poulter if ever there was one. Another likely rookie is Noren who has a game thats made for le Golf Nationale. Absolute machine from tee to green and doesnt seem to miss left, and confidence must be as high as its ever been. Ditto Fleetwood. Rahm is a proper worldbeater, a powerhouse who will fear nobody.

Stalwarts such as Rory, Garcia, Rose, Stenson you cant see not being there. They have not and will not let anyone down. I dont think Westwood will make this edition, and thats no harm. Nerves got to him in 2016 so better to look elsewhere this time.

I reckon Cabrera Bello might sneak his way in. Would like to see Luiton make it also, really shouldve played the RC before now. Weisberger the same, and Alex Levy would be a good shout imo. Should make for a stronger plan B than 2016 whatever happens (Willett, Wood, Sullivan etc).

Dont hold much hope for Lowry. Failure to address fitness issues combined with decision to play both tours to his detriment. Not to mention juggling golf with fatherhood.Dunne and Harrington need a massive 6 months, dont see it happening for either. Still think McDowell has half a shot, although his dump in rd4 at Riviera will have worried him.

Jaysus Monty - you would sell commando golf balls to a tour pro. :D

you should work for Sky who often make me think The Rocco Forte Open is a major.

Sorry - forgot you do work for Sky - or are you dropped till your Open comes along again ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Jaysus Monty - you would sell commando golf balls to a tour pro. :D

you should work for Sky who often make me think The Rocco Forte Open is a major.

Sorry - forgot you do work for Sky - or are you dropped till your Open comes along again ?

Dumped from Sky long ago. With good cause!

Ah no, I just feel September's edition has the potential to be very exciting so am keeping up to speed with how the team is looking. The Ryder Cup has made the careers of so many of the Euros that I think it's an integral part of any avid golfer's calender. Even if some people still see it as an exhibition, I really look forward to it. Multiple major winners wax lyrical about it...the likes of Faldo, Langer and Seve obviously, but also McIlroy in recent years. Tiger has downplayed it's significance over the years but I dont believe him. You watch his face in important matches over the years, success or failure, it meant something.

I love how it shows the wider golfing world just how good European golfers who chose not to base themselves in the US were and are. Montgomerie is in the hall of fame because of it and it will prove to be the highlight of many careers, ranging from Poulter and McGinley to guys who are lesser known in modern golf like the Garridos (snr and jnr), the Gilfords, the Torrances, the Roccas, the Johansons, not to mention the Waltons and the O' Conners...we always knew how good they were, and, after the Ryder Cup, so did the American players and press.

Add on to that, the respective US and European comebacks of 1999 and 2012 were and remain the 2 most nerve racking, exciting and brilliant golf tournaments Ive watched. It took me weeks to get over both :D

Dumped from Sky long ago. With good cause!

Ah no, I just feel September's edition has the potential to be very exciting so am keeping up to speed with how the team is looking. The Ryder Cup has made the careers of so many of the Euros that I think it's an integral part of any avid golfer's calender. Even if some people still see it as an exhibition, I really look forward to it. Multiple major winners wax lyrical about it...the likes of Faldo, Langer and Seve obviously, but also McIlroy in recent years. Tiger has downplayed it's significance over the years but I dont believe him. You watch his face in important matches over the years, success or failure, it meant something.

I love how it shows the wider golfing world just how good European golfers who chose not to base themselves in the US were and are. Montgomerie is in the hall of fame because of it and it will prove to be the highlight of many careers, ranging from Poulter and McGinley to guys who are lesser known in modern golf like the Garridos (snr and jnr), the Gilfords, the Torrances, the Roccas, the Johansons, not to mention the Waltons and the O' Conners...we always knew how good they were, and, after the Ryder Cup, so did the American players and press.

Add on to that, the respective US and European comebacks of 1999 and 2012 were and remain the 2 most nerve racking, exciting and brilliant golf tournaments Ive watched. It took me weeks to get over both :D

Can't disagree with your points and they were unreal events ('99 and '12). Also the quality of golf can be amazing and you can have shot after shot within inches of hole outs. Can be a remarkable atmosphere.

But Ireland (and the flags are nationality based by team members) have had a remarkably bad run. The affiliation to Europe is not a natural one in a sporting perspective. It was only joined in to make the event in some way competitive.

The Mcginely thing was a boost - but the last real Rep of Ireland contribution was 2010 and that was a captain's pick. We are having a remarkably bad run.

I accept your point on the European tour golfer versus the US tour - but this aspect has been considerably devalued as they have mostly decamped to Florida. They pretend to be all different and then the following week are playing golf and drinking in the same pub in Florida.

The US winning last time out was a saving grace , because it had become a bit too one sided with 8 Europe wins in 10 prior to that.

Then when I see the fans and their daft outfits - stupids songs and thinking golf fans are in the Kop it all gets a bit face palm and cringe. :D - same lads then go out and vote for Brexit. :D

Anyway - I will watch it and love it in end - but fingers crossed a tricolour on one of the poles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Interesting that Reed didn't show up for this. He also skipped it 2 years ago.

https://twitter.com/RyderCupUSA/status/994366367104208897

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Joe Dog

Just saw that Thomas Bjorn has announced his vice captains and there isn't one French man amongst them.

Considering the Ryder Cup is essentially a glorified exhibition event and the main benefit is the hype and publicity it brings to golf surely with the tournament being held in France for the first time they really need to ensure there is some french involvement to get the public in France behind the event , hopefully at least one French player is involved as a player on the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

€179 for the Friday, €189 Sat, €199 Sun. I managed to pick up tickets for the Sunday last week in the second round of ticket sales. It's probably no harm to register in case there is a third round but I wouldn't get your hopes up. The first round sold out in no time but there were system issues, tickets were available for about 24 hours last week before being sold out.

I got them for the Sunday for €175 in the first ballot. They released more single day tickets last week.

How the teams are shaping up ::

www.rydercup.com

Europe

Molinari
    Rose
    Hatton
    Fleetwood
    Rahm
    McIlroy
    Noren
    Poulter

With wildcards likely to come from

Casey
    Olesen
    Knox
    Cabrera Bello
    Fitzpatrick
    Garcia
    Stenson
    Pepperell

Stenson and Garcia's form has dropped off a cliff this year. Hard to imagine both could miss out but unless they do something in the next two weeks then they wont be there. Picks will probably be the top 3 and one or other of RCB and Fitz as it stands right now.

Qualifying for the european team ends at the Made in Denmark event at the end of this month. 3 events total to go

The top 8 for the US are now set as the 100th PGA was the last chance to secure an automatic spot

US

Koepka
    Dustin Johnson
    Justin Thomas
    Patrick Reed
    Bubba Watson
    Jordan Spieth
    Rickie Fowler
    Webb Simpson

With wildcards likely to come from

DeChambeau
    Mickelson
    Woods
    Schauffele
    Kuchar
    Kisner
    Finau

3 wildcards will be announced on September 3rd with the final wildcard being announced on September 9th. DeChambeau Mickelson and Woods have got to be shoe-ins, but anyone could take that last spot. I think I'd like it to be Kisner or Finau

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

On paper that US team is surely one of the best ever? Definitely in the last 20/30 years anyway.

Europe will have their work cut out

Olesen has now jumped Poulter to be in the top 8 for the european team

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Rikand wrote: »
    Olesen has now jumped Poulter to be in the top 8 for the european team

Poulter will surely get a pick.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

You would think so as he has been playing well. Sergio will miss out I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭londonred

Is this on SKY or 11 sports app:)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭golfer79

londonred wrote: »

An Eleven Sports announcement would be some craic, even if just for the meltdowns on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Anyone had their tickets delivered yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,034 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

londonred wrote: »

Its on a new channel called SKII :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭abff

Keano wrote: »
    You would think so as he has been playing well. Sergio will miss out I reckon

I read today that Sergio has only played 14 of the 15 events needed to retain his PGA Tour membership. Missing the playoffs means that he needs to play in the Ryder Cup (which counts as a PGA Tour event) in order to retain his card.

Can anyone verify this (or otherwise). If it's true, it put a lot of pressure on Bjorn to select him if he doesn't qualify automatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

abff wrote: »
    I read today that Sergio has only played 14 of the 15 events needed to retain his PGA Tour membership. Missing the playoffs means that he needs to play in the Ryder Cup (which counts as a PGA Tour event) in order to retain his card.

Can anyone verify this (or otherwise). If it's true, it put a lot of pressure on Bjorn to select him if he doesn't qualify automatically.
    I would have thought his masters win would get him a 3 year exemption similiar to what lowry had for the WGC win

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Ronney

kieran. wrote: »
    I would have thought his masters win would get him a 3 year exemption similiar to what lowry had for the WGC win

5 Year exemption for a Major so safe.

Once off exemption for All time money list top 25 and Top 50 at end of season. Sergio 8th so should be up there for a while.

Harrington 47th so will most likely use his for next year

• Registered Users Posts: 14,533 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Tickets have been available to the public for the last few weeks here, still hasnt sold out.
    https://tickets.rydercup.com/content

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭aka accounts 2010

Tickets have been available to the public for the last few weeks here, still hasnt sold out.
    https://tickets.rydercup.com/content

And being sold for higher prices than the original sales prices back in October's sale.

We got our Saturday tickets for €160 and Sunday for €175 in October. The tickets now available are €179 and €199 respectively.

Got notification on Monday that they have been posted.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

That course is actually only €165 a round, not bad considering...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,533 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

And being sold for higher prices than the original sales prices back in October's sale.

We got our Saturday tickets for €160 and Sunday for €175 in October. The tickets now available are €179 and €199 respectively.

Got notification on Monday that they have been posted.

Yeah ,I thought the prices looked higher than before .
    Very expensive.

Advertisement