Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Depeche Mode 2017 [Dublin date announced]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭DepecheHead101

Wouldn't be surprised to see Corrupt and Wrong dropped. Corrupt is fabulous live but to be fair can't imagine most of the audience crying out for Sounds Of The Universe stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Carol35

Anyone know who the support act is?

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭rodneyTrotter.

Carol35 wrote: »

u2

Actually it’s Re-TROS

Carol35 wrote: »

u2

Actually it’s Re-TROS

• Registered Users Posts: 12,039 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

What time do you reckon they will start and finish?:)

Just have to finalise plans for getting and leaving the venue.:):o

• Advertisement

9 PM, according to the Irish Times article. Full show's about the 2 hour mark.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    What time do you reckon they will start and finish?:)

Just have to finalise plans for getting and leaving the venue.:):o

I’ve seen them twice this tour and they have come on 830 ish . Wouldn’t leave it any later and it’s approximately 2hour show . Ther is a chance they will drop a couple of songs for this leg but realistically I’d say it will be over 1030-1045

Yeah Ticketmaster email's gone out saying 8:30 now.

Unreal gig with some nice surprises!

Props to the man in the Teenage Cancer Trust t shirt who elbowed my girlfriend in the ribs because she touched off him. Get a seating ticket next time and put your phone away.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Unreal gig with some nice surprises!

Props to the man in the Teenage Cancer Trust t shirt who elbowed my girlfriend in the ribs because she touched off him. Get a seating ticket next time and put your phone away.

Well I had the pleasure of a very drunk man puking down the side of my seat 2minutes into the gig. Had to contend with the horrendous smell for the rest of it. Not even an attempt at an apology or hint of embarrassment from him. Asked the stewards to clean it up or move us but neither happened.

Gig was good IMO, but not great....and I'm a diehard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Ah Butters me heart goes out to you,ring Joe tomorrow ,tell him it was a member of the unwell committee who puked.

As for the gig,loved it,highlights for me was “Never Let Down” and “Evertyhing Counts”,some of the videos on the screen were interesting especially the 2 dancers during the playing of “In Your Room”,made a great spectacle

I was lucky where I was,was standing in a nice area,to the left of the stage and got a great view,thankfully no idiots around me,everyone in a good happy mood.One funny moment was the start of the show with the playing of The Beatles “Revolution”, this girl in front turned to her boyfriend and said “I didn’t know that was a Depeche Mode song” ,erm.....,.,,,,,,,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

Probably the most disappointing gig I have been to in years. The whole thing just felt average. The hits were grand I suppose but thought the setlist was really poor. What the hell was that balled half way through???

The high price paid for the tickets makes it even more disappointing. No real stage show except lots of spinning and what I think was a chicken dance at one point...

Last gig I went to there was Placebo. Wouldn't have been much of a fan but was blown away by the show they put on. You could see the amount of effort they were putting into the live version of every song. In comparison, Depeche Mode felt phoned in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Gig was good IMO, but not great....and I'm a diehard.

They are immense and delivered!

But ya speaking from only seeing them previously at the '13 show that one was trails above this.

Some really enjoyable stuff here though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Carpentry

Probably the most disappointing gig I have been to in years. The whole thing just felt average. The hits were grand I suppose but thought the setlist was really poor. What the hell was that balled half way through???

The high price paid for the tickets makes it even more disappointing. No real stage show except lots of spinning and what I think was a chicken dance at one point...

Last gig I went to there was Placebo. Wouldn't have been much of a fan but was blown away by the show they put on. You could see the amount of effort they were putting into the live version of every song. In comparison, Depeche Mode felt phoned in.

Poor you.

Counterfeit²

Revelation 1:9
    Lord’s day I was in the Spirit, and I heard behind me a loud voice like a trumpet,…

I suppose they all must be WRONG

DOtvEJrW0AICUDf.jpg:large

Ah Butters me heart goes out to you,ring Joe tomorrow ,tell him it was a member of the unwell committee who puked.

As for the gig,loved it,highlights for me was “Never Let Down” and “Evertyhing Counts”,some of the videos on the screen were interesting especially the 2 dancers during the playing of “In Your Room”,made a great spectacle

I was lucky where I was,was standing in a nice area,to the left of the stage and got a great view,thankfully no idiots around me,everyone in a good happy mood.One funny moment was the start of the show with the playing of The Beatles “Revolution”, this girl in front turned to her boyfriend and said “I didn’t know that was a Depeche Mode song” ,erm.....,.,,,,,,,,,

I don't think Depeche Mode would be on Joe's radar of his listeners so to speak....they're no Barbara Streisand or Julio Iglesias.

Yeah that video in particular was really good, as was the guy in semi drag to "Walking in my shoes". Martin doing a stripped down version of "Strangelove" was great, as was "A Question of Lust". Dave highlights for me were the Jacques LuCont remix version they almost always play nowadays of "A pain that I'm used to", the two tracks you mentioned and "Walking in my shoes". The violator tracks I love but I've heard them a million times live and they're crowdpleasers for sure, but at this stage I can leave them in favour of something else. There was a bit of instrumental variation in tonight's version of "Enjoy The Silence" but I'm not sure it worked.

I'm not disappointed or anything but I feel it was probably the weakest of the last 5 Dublin gigs.

Beatles comment was amusing.

I only caught the last track of the support but I quite liked it. Did anyone catch their full set?

Video to "Walking in My Shoes" left me speechless, literally. I couldn't even clap after the song, "well thought" is not even close to describe it....

It just doesn't get any better ....

Tkia6qz.png

The ballad was A Question Of Lust. Ballad is how it is usually spelt. Just as a point of reference.

Herself is a Placebo die hard. We've see them in four countries. You're life literally couldn't depend on a man having worse crowd interaction that Brian Molko.

Honestly... give me coordinates to your home world. I'd love to have a sesh there.

Other than that I can totally buy this being the weakest of the last few Dublin gigs. 90s heavy setlist, poor projections and a decidedly rushing in from work vibe that - honestly - leaves me hanging. Stay down the back if you're going to turn around narky each time someone is singing behind you.

Dublin needs it's booze.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭phonypony

Interesting to read the last few comments, for me it was the best Dublin DM gig I've been to. I was particularly delighted by the 'ultra'-rare Useless and Strangelove, Question of Time & Halo were great! I thought they were full of energy tonight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭jsms88

Great night. Saw them in London earlier in the year so delighted they changed up the set list for the new leg of the tour. Left straight away after Personal Jesus.... someone said they played another one though??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭argentum

Personal Jesus was the last song .They didnt play another one after that

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭lambayire

Really enjoyed it.

The sound was absolutely thumping.
    I don't know how that manage to make the sound heavier each tour.

The rushed after work vibe was a good description. We were sitting on the aisle
    and had folk going in and out all evening. I sometimes think that some folk treat
    the actual gig as a by the way on a night out.

Loved "Home" done with the full band sound. I love the stripped down version too but that
    was a lovely surprise.

The visuals were stunning but they quite often distracted me from the music though,
    especially for Walking in My Shoes and In Your Room. Those videos were stunning!

We also got to experience the 1878 Club for the first time. It's rather impressive!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I really enjoyed it, but I've been to better gigs. I had geared myself up for a better stage show so I felt a little disappointed. Happy enough with the setlist though. Agreed it was hard to focus on the band during some of the better visual songs such as "walking in my shoes".

Anyone know who directed the videos without me having to google it? They didn't look to have the same style as long time collaborator Anton Corbijn, but maybe he's evolved and using more colour these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭bullpost

First time seeing them so nothing to compare it against.

It was brilliant - one of the best gigs I've been to. Sound, setlist and band performance all top notch for me.

Did have to put up with one drunken middle-aged moron who was trying to start a fight but he eventually disappeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

7th time seeing DM last night. Really enjoyed it.
    It was nice to see some of the lesser played Ultra songs given an airing, "Barrel of a gun" and "Useless". I was also happy to see "Wrong" retained in the set.
    DM shows tend to start off quite slow and build as the show progresses, but I did find the order of the songs peculiar. "Everything Counts" really should have been played during the encore.
    As a massive David Bowie fan, I was slightly disappointed that the cover of "Heroes" was dropped.
    Other than that, no complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

First time to see DM for me as well, after being a fan for may years. My personal highlight was 'Cover Me', I love the way it builds up to that tinkling crescendo. Dave is still well able to strut his stuff (although my missus though he was gay with all the antics :D). Martin Gore has a fine voice.

The sound was thumping, only real spoiler for me was that we were seated in Block P and the giant speakers totally ruined the view of the big screen. A few drunks and people constantly going up and down to the bar didn't upset us too much. Very good-humored crowd overall. They played for 2 and quarter hours so I guess the ticket price offered some value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

First time seeing them since the 93 Gig in the old Point.

Wanted them to play 'I feel you' and possible 'stripped' Not a die hard fan but a fan. Crowd where I was of the 'older' generation re living their youth. I heard somebody say why don't they play 'I just can't get enough' did not say anything to them:rolleyes:

Again the constant phones in the air and some Ipads but that's for another topic:mad:

Sound was good and the Ballads of Question of Lust and Strangelove I can take or leave it. Background video yeah but I just prefer to concentrate on the music but each to their own. On stage for over 2 hours and I was standing so happy enough.

First time seeing them since the 93 Gig in the old Point.

Wanted them to play 'I feel you' and possible 'stripped' Not a die hard fan but a fan. Crowd where I was of the 'older' generation re living their youth. I heard somebody say why don't they play 'I just can't get enough' did not say anything to them:rolleyes:

Again the constant phones in the air and some Ipads but that's for another topic:mad:

Sound was good and the Ballads of Question of Lust and Strangelove I can take or leave it. Background video yeah but I just prefer to concentrate on the music but each to their own. On stage for over 2 hours and I was standing so happy enough.

Really starting to get on my wick at concerts. Was it Chris Rock who recently banned them from use at his gigs? Fair play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Really starting to get on my wick at concerts. Was it Chris Rock who recently banned them from use at his gigs? Fair play.

It's easier to police this at comedy shows over music, especially when it's a big act like Chris Rock who doesn't want all their jokes and bits posted online, ruining it for anyone who would be going in the future to his show.

Advertisement