Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

June 2017 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭BriarPatch

Give calpol as per the guidelines I was late with a done and he really suffered, apart from that loads of cuddles and wait it out

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭RCK1406

I think Zarah is going through a growth/feeding spurt she's awake a few times at night and the only thing that will settle her is her bottle.

Is this the start of the 4 month sleep regression? She's 16 weeks next week

I'm shattered :( she slept so good for so long it feels like she's a newborn again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭anndub

Had the same issue last week but it seems to have settled again. It became obvious she was still hungry after a bottle so I've added on another ounce to each feed which has helped and we are back to one feed a night even if it is an 8 ounce one!

She is just gone 15 weeks and I don't think we'll get much further without starting solids. She was 22lbs when weighed last Tuesday so she's just a hungry baba!

anndub wrote: »
    Had the same issue last week but it seems to have settled again. It became obvious she was still hungry after a bottle so I've added on another ounce to each feed which has helped and we are back to one feed a night even if it is an 8 ounce one!

She is just gone 15 weeks and I don't think we'll get much further without starting solids. She was 22lbs when weighed last Tuesday so she's just a hungry baba!

Thank god it wasn't just me hopefully she settles back soon, she was back to normal last night waking at 5 for a 5oz bottle so hopefully the same again tonight. I'm giving her an extra oz in her dream feed too.

I've upped every second bottle to 6oz I think she might find them too heavy. I'm with the health nurse on Tuesday so will get her weighed but I think I'll be starting solids soon too she's obsessed with real food and watching us eat!!

She's also outgrown her cocoona baby and is back in the cot on her own tonight so will see how that goes. She looks so small in the big cot!!

RCK1406 wrote: »
    Thank god it wasn't just me hopefully she settles back soon, she was back to normal last night waking at 5 for a 5oz bottle so hopefully the same again tonight. I'm giving her an extra oz in her dream feed too.

I've upped every second bottle to 6oz I think she might find them too heavy. I'm with the health nurse on Tuesday so will get her weighed but I think I'll be starting solids soon too she's obsessed with real food and watching us eat!!

She's also outgrown her cocoona baby and is back in the cot on her own tonight so will see how that goes. She looks so small in the big cot!!

Yeah, the HSE pamphlet I got recommended not before 17 weeks for solids. The three criterion showing they're ready are hungry after a bottle, full head control and a strong interest in watching parents eat and mirroring chewing. We're hitting all three and I think i'd rather give her solids than continue to fill her with huge quantities of milk!

She's in the cot since last weekend too, was filling the Moses basket. I thought she looked tiny too but quickly filled the space by going full starfish! Must have been really annoying her not to be able to stretch out her arms in the basket!

• Advertisement

Yeah, the HSE pamphlet I got recommended not before 17 weeks for solids. The three criterion showing they're ready are hungry after a bottle, full head control and a strong interest in watching parents eat and mirroring chewing. We're hitting all three and I think i'd rather give her solids than continue to fill her with huge quantities of milk!

She's in the cot since last weekend too, was filling the Moses basket. I thought she looked tiny too but quickly filled the space by going full starfish! Must have been really annoying her not to be able to stretch out her arms in the basket!

That's the mirror image of my little girl it's as if she's lost interest in her bottle now too so I'm going to start soon.

She's currently stretched out in the cot so hopefully will sleep ok too

We had a few nights here where the little man woke up at 3am for his milk but he didn't seem to want extra bottles. Back to normal now anyway.

He had his 3 month check last week with the Public Health Nurse, he only weighs 6kg! He's also very tall so I foresee having problems finding clothes to fit him, He already fills the length of the 3-6month baby grows!

I'm trying to avoid weaning as long as possible its my least favourite thing to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

BriarPatch wrote: »
    We had a few nights here where the little man woke up at 3am for his milk but he didn't seem to want extra bottles. Back to normal now anyway.

He had his 3 month check last week with the Public Health Nurse, he only weighs 6kg! He's also very tall so I foresee having problems finding clothes to fit him, He already fills the length of the 3-6month baby grows!

I'm trying to avoid weaning as long as possible its my least favourite thing to do!

We have ours next week and hes only 5.9kg at the moment

He is becoming an increasingly fussy eater :(

My little one was only 5.7kg at her 3 month check up nurse said that was fine not to worry about it, be interested to see what she weighs tomorrow. I'm struggling to get her to drink more in her bottles but just taking it one bottle at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Just had three month check, so we're flying along! Regarding weaning, I wouldn't pay any attention to the leaflets from the hse- they're often a bit behind the times! The current recommendation for formula fed babies is to start them just before 6 months, not at 4 like they used advise. There's a big sleep regression at 4months that's often mistaken for hunger

• Advertisement

Ah ok I feel a bit better now I thought he must be tiny as she said he's in the bottom 25 percent although she didn't seem worried about it!

Three month check is news to me! Does the public health nurse normally send out an appointment or should I have contacted her?

I got my appointment I'm the post but our nurse is very on the ball the appt was literally the day he turned 3 months!

Wow! Ok, I'd better give a call. I had three different nurses call to me in the first fortnight so perhaps we've slipped through the cracks

Three month check is news to me! Does the public health nurse normally send out an appointment or should I have contacted her?

I went for her 12 week weigh in and the nurse did her 3 month check up that I wasn't aware of, the nurse said she was behind on sending out the appointments.

I was with her today for her 16week weigh and she's 6.2kg and is in the 50 percentile which made me relax cause I didn't think she was putting on much weight cause she's still only on 5/6oz bottles. She also said to wait until closer to the 6 month mark to start solids cause the babies reduce their milk intake when starting bottles so they much rather wait till she's taking more milk.

4 months injections were today, they went surprisingly well and is in good form fingers crossed she stays her normal self

Hope everyone is keeping well :)

I think we're due next week. I must book that. I think I was more traumatized than baba after the last set so hopefully we get on as well as you this time!!

We've started on solids on the advice of the PHN. We're also being referred to a pediatrician as apparently she's off the charts for height and weight! Nurse thinks it's just her natural state but procedure states that anything above or below the regular percentile growth curve requires a referral. I'm certainly not worried as we were with the head of pediatrics in the RCSI two weeks ago for an unrelated issue and he reckoned she was as healthy as they come. I reckon the weight gain will slow now she's being weaned, she's been very hungry for the last few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Clashmore

Hi annadub, if u don't mind me asking how heavy is off the charts. My little lad was at his 3 months check at 14 weeks and weighs in at 16lbs 5oz and 62cms. PHN was happy and I'm breastfeeding so will be waiting til 6 months to wean

Clashmore

Hi Clashmore. She was 22lb and 65.5cm at just over 16 weeks. She's been up in the 98th percentile since her 2 week check so hasn't taken a massive leap or anything. She's certainly a big child.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Clashmore

Thanks, my lad is following the 91st percentile curve since 3 weeks so going to be a big lad too

• Advertisement

So we had a 4 day stay in Tallaght hospital last week with very high temperatures and a bad kidney infection - doc said it was a viral infection sore throats and swollen glands but she sent us in anyway to get checked but it turned out to be a kidney infection

She had been off her bottles for a while was a struggle to get 16oz into her in a day but the difference this week is unreal.

Wouldn't wish a sick baby and a hospital stay on anyone.

Hope she gets better soon

Ours has been a struggle to feed as well, makes me think we should get him checked out

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Hope she gets better soon

Ours has been a struggle to feed as well, makes me think we should get him checked out

I had initially thought she was off her bottles cause it might have been her gums hurting, people were telling me she was probably ready for solids and then when the doctor said she had swollen glands it was probably sore for her to swallow.

But looking back now, her urine was smellier and more yellow than it is now which are signs of a kidney infection.

Sorry to hear that RCK dealing with sickness is the most stressful part of having kids! How did you find tallaght?? We had to bring Ds1 there the other day for a blood test and they were very efficient.
    Can't believe we are at the 4 month mark already it feelast like only yesterday I started this thread!
    I actually had problems feeding himself he past few days but think it was just a case of needing to change to faster teats!

BriarPatch wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that RCK dealing with sickness is the most stressful part of having kids! How did you find tallaght?? We had to bring Ds1 there the other day for a blood test and they were very efficient.
    Can't believe we are at the 4 month mark already it feelast like only yesterday I started this thread!
    I actually had problems feeding himself he past few days but think it was just a case of needing to change to faster teats!

I found them great - waited about 4 hours to see a doctor in a&me but it took us an hour and a half to catch a urine sample so we might have been seen quicker. Doctors and nurses on the ward were great

Baby is 20 weeks tomorrow, I found out I was pregnant exactly a year ago can't get over how quick it's all gone. Only 2 months left of my maternity leave I've anxiety already about going back to work

I found them great - waited about 4 hours to see a doctor in a&me but it took us an hour and a half to catch a urine sample so we might have been seen quicker. Doctors and nurses on the ward were great

Baby is 20 weeks tomorrow, I found out I was pregnant exactly a year ago can't get over how quick it's all gone. Only 2 months left of my maternity leave I've anxiety already about going back to work

I was just sitting down with my diary, trying to make a plan, and to see when I'll be going back! I need to figure out how many days hols I have from this year. I've been planning for 10 weeks unpaid- my savings plan hasn't gone exactly to plan though!!!
    I don't actually mind going back this time. This baba is very settled, and I'm getting good sleep, but I'll still try to stretch it out until the Easter holidays.

jlm29 wrote: »
    I was just sitting down with my diary, trying to make a plan, and to see when I'll be going back! I need to figure out how many days hols I have from this year. I've been planning for 10 weeks unpaid- my savings plan hasn't gone exactly to plan though!!!
    I don't actually mind going back this time. This baba is very settled, and I'm getting good sleep, but I'll still try to stretch it out until the Easter holidays.

I've technically only 4 weeks left, then I'm taking all my AL in one chunk which is an extra 4 weeks but need to keep days for over Christmas too so I'm i my back for 5 days and then off over Christmas and back properly in the new year. We're building our house in January so will need to go back to work but I can drop to 3/4 days a week if needed.

Since coming home from the hospital she's waking every 2/3 hours looking for a feed at night not sure if it part of sleep regression or she is actually hungry because she's drinking more oz than ever before since we got back, I'm drained :(

I've technically only 4 weeks left, then I'm taking all my AL in one chunk which is an extra 4 weeks but need to keep days for over Christmas too so I'm i my back for 5 days and then off over Christmas and back properly in the new year. We're building our house in January so will need to go back to work but I can drop to 3/4 days a week if needed.

Since coming home from the hospital she's waking every 2/3 hours looking for a feed at night not sure if it part of sleep regression or she is actually hungry because she's drinking more oz than ever before since we got back, I'm drained :(

We are the same, it's the dreaded sleep regression!

naughtb4 wrote: »
    We are the same, it's the dreaded sleep regression!

Great!!! How do we combat this? My PHN told me not to feed her during the night just let her self soothe, easier said than done I'd imagine.

• Advertisement

Great!!! How do we combat this? My PHN told me not to feed her during the night just let her self soothe, easier said than done I'd imagine.

I don't think you can really combat it- you just need to ride it out! Do you have the wonder weeks app? It's nice to know why things are happening, though it doesn't always make up for broken sleep!!! It seems to hit some kids worse than others- I don't even remember it with my oldest boy, and my June baby isn't doing too bad - although his sleep isn't as good as it was. My nearly 2 year old is only just after pulling out of the 4 month sleep regression in the last few months.
    It seems as though the norm in Ireland has been to interpret the sleep regression as hunger and pack babies full of rice til they go into a food coma (or at least that's what's often been recommended to me by my in-laws!!!), but I wouldn't start solids at this stage!

Advertisement