Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seamus Power - PGA Tour Winner 2021/22

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭Motivator

A bizarre round of golf, any shot they showed he just never looked comfortable at all out there. I don’t think he needs to do anything on the range I think he needs to go to bed. Another near 6 hour round, when things aren’t going well I’d say the last thing he wants to be doing is waiting on Dermot Desmond to be hitting his 3rd shot before Seamus hits his second. When things aren’t going well that must be a factor as well. There didn’t seem to be as much chatting between the group today or maybe the cameras just didn’t show it.

I think if we were told Wednesday evening that Seamus would be 2 behind going into round 4 we’d all have been delighted. He’s not out of this at all and I can’t see Spieth doing that again tomorrow, then again maybe he will, but I think Seamus knows he needs a -8 at a minimum and that mightn’t even be enough. The frustrating thing is even a level par today from Seamus and he’d still be leading. Huge opportunity for him tomorrow with an awful lot on the line. Any sort of repeat of Thursday or yesterday and whoever finishes ahead of him wins it.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Lad GAGA

Yeah a disappointing day for Seamus. What was so effortless on the first two days was a real struggle yesterday if anything his score could have been worse, his short game in particular disappeared. Still it was probably the first time he has led a PGA event after 2 rounds so he was in unchartered territory and will learn from the experience. Its probably in his interest to be back in the pack now but I think after his last few holes last night a good start will be important to steady him. Top 5 finish would still be huge for him.

The attitude of “sneak a top 5” needs to go though, he’s not thinking that anymore. He knows he’s good enough to win and absolutely that was his attitude before because he was in dire need of points and money but the win is the goal today. In the grand scheme of things yeah a top 5 is great - more points, more OWGR points and more money but two weeks ago was a missed opportunity and if he doesn’t win today then it’s a huge negative because he couldn’t have been in a better position. He’s always had to come to challenge to try get a win but this is different.

Did a 5 shot lead starting day 3 have an effect? Absolutely it did, huge pressure on him to continue performing and he was probably caught in no man’s land in terms of his mentality. Try to kick on and try and shoot a 65 or 66 and mistakes can happen. Play too conservatively and mistakes can happen. He couldn’t win the tournament yesterday but he could play himself out of it. He actually did well to shoot +3 because when things start going against you it can easily turn ugly and it can happen fast.

Today, just go for it. Attack everything and see how it goes. Totally different mentality today and the chips are down now. A win would be fantastic as we all know, but the main test today is how his mind will cope after a poor day yesterday when so much was expected. In the words of Ger Loughnane “we’re going to do it”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭dublin49

hoping for a bounce back today,often happens to an early front runner in golf where on round 3 they fall off the pace and get right back into it on last day,

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Lad GAGA

Obviously we're all hoping he wins but today will tell us a lot about his mental strength and how he deals with how he performed yesterday. As he showed over the first two days (and last few weeks) he absolutely has the game but just needs to get that second win which will give him even more confidence going forward. Here's hoping he does it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,561 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

In fairness to SP I think he was playing the hardest of the 3 courses, but he is well capable, on present form, off winning from 2 behind

• Registered Users Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Varner winning means he probably needs a strong finish to stay in the top 50? Vernier projected to jump to 44.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

He would have bit your hand off for 2 back going into Sunday. Hopefully that's the way he views it and goes out shoots a similar score to Friday. If he does that he'll be in the mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Closing out a big lead is difficult and if it was the final round it would be a proper disaster, but it wasn't, so Seamus still has the chance to turn it all around again today. 66 and see where it leaves him and he can hold his head up high.

As others have said it's all part of the learning curve and you have to lose before you can win. The thing I'm most annoyed about is that we'll see bugger all of him tonight unless he starts hot and gets back in the lead, they'll be showing every shot of Spieth, Cantlay and Day, at least he's playing with Day so they probably be someone following them.

Never get the Lowry bashing in this thread, how is Seamus' success a stick to beat Shane with. Shane led a US Open by 4 after 3 rounds before learning enough from that to comfortably win an Open. Seamus is going great guns, but he's barely played a major let alone led one by 4 and won another by 6!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,753 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'm reading this thread for three days and I haven't seen any Lowry 'bashing' as you call it. As a matter of fact the only mention of Lowry that I can remember was me saying that if Seamus won this weekend that he would jump Lowry in the world ranking list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

5 pars to start for seamus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭dball

follwed by a bird and another par :)

3 off the lead

Double bogey on the 8th, back to -12 now and that’s goodnight unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Fighting for a top 20 now unfortunately

Hopefully he can turn it around on back 9. Was such a good chance to seal a place in the Masters this week.

And another one gone on 9. +5 for his last 27 now 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭abff

Seems to have gone totally off the boil. Hopefully, he can steady the ship over the last 9 holes. His head must be totally melted at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,753 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Yeah hopefully he can forget the last two holes and get it together for a decent finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Very disappointed with the last 2 days. Hopefully he can turn it around and finish in the top 10. He'll learn from this I would think. A lot of great players have choked and come back better...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Pro-am,2 days playing like a pro and 2 as an amateur :-( Seems to be in every bunker lately, hopefully picks it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,761 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Really poor from Seamus since Friday. Hasn't handled the pressure at all. Hopefully he can shake it off and move on. Big learnings to take from the weekend.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Terrible coverage of the golf. Sky is a waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

pulled one back

• Registered Users Posts: 14,602 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Its unwatchable, they dont even seem to bother anymore.

It would be like showing a football match take a break after 5 minutes then come back show a closeup of the grass, then an aerial view of the stadium, have a sideline interview with a manager, then show a few minutes of the game then off to another ad break.

Hopefully plays 18 like the other day and gets a top 10...

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Scrabbel

Birdie on the last would guarantee him at worst T8th with 3 others. Looking at the bright side, it’s huge progress that a result like that would be considered a bit disappointing. His consistency of high finishes is still incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Scrabbel

15-footer for birdie and back to even for the day and T8 finish, approx $245k. Courageous!

Got it, thank God

Fair play, secured the top 10.

• Advertisement

birdied 18th to finish top 10, currently sitting t8. Good finish to a difficult couple of days. Should move up a couple of places in the OWGR and extra fed ex points and potentially $250,000 in the bag as well. Desperately disappointing last two days but that’s life and he’ll learn from it.

Advertisement