Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seamus Power - PGA Tour Winner 2021/22

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭coillcam

Spot on, T4 with Harrington when Mickelson won. He's not under any pressure tbf. If the putter warms up a bit he'll getting some decent finishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

This is a joke ? Right ???

shane is a recent major winner !! That’s a 5 year exemption to The Masters, The US Open and The PGA.

He doesn’t need to worry about top 50’s for a while yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭boardise

Just saw where Seamus' 128 is a new 36 hole record for the PGA -taking over from Phil Mickelson and Nick Taylor.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,279 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I think that's probably only for this tournament. Russell Henley shot 125 for his first two rounds in Hawaii a couple of weeks ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭Motivator

What a treat that was this evening. We saw more of Seamus Power this evening than we’ve seen of him in the last 6 months.

A phenomenal round of golf. When these players get in the zone and turn it on it’s something else to watch and tonight we saw exactly that with Seamus. His focus dropped once all day and that was on 17. What did he do? Regroup and hole the bogey putt and then had a few minutes to compose himself and have a chat with Simon on the 18th tee. Played the hole absolutely perfectly and that to me is a sure sign he’s all out going for the win.

Tomorrow i think we’ll see him be aggressive only where the opportunity presents itself. He doesn’t need to do anything silly and a -2 or -3 would give him a nice cushion going into Sunday. Absolutely convinced nobody will catch him at this stage, it’s just what he does himself is where it will come down to.

A super display for 18 holes and he just looked like he was going to hold everything. His iron play was as good as I’ve seen from any player in any tournament over the last couple of years and that wedge on 18 was magic. Just delighted for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

As a Major winner Lowry is already qualified.

You get a 5 year exemption for all 4 majors when you win one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

To par possibly, par 70 in Hawaii, so 125 is 15 under.

17 under at the same tournament in Hawaii for Justin Thomas seems to be the record though.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭searay

Was great to see Seamus at his best on TV. He looked so focused and reminded me of Harrington in his prime. It’s only the 1/2 way stage, but he has become a serious player capable of winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

I gave up watching the tournaments as he tends to get no coverage no matter how well he is doing, i will be watching today and tomorrow hopefully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 GymTanLaundry

Have Rory or Padraig ever held such a strong lead this early in a tournament in a PGA tour event?

Looking forward to following him the next few evenings. Only caught a few holes on Friday but he was very impressive.

Sorry to dissapoint you but as Seamus is not on pebble beach today there wont be quite the same coverage on him. He is playing Monteray today. They will have some cameras there and as the leader we will see him, but not the same wall to wall coverage he got as yesterday I'd say. The event is spread over 3 courses so its alway like this for coverage.

No point in people blaming Sky for coverage tonight, its out of their hands really.

McIlroy led the US open by 6 shots in 2011 after 36 holes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Probably be hard pressed to find many tournaments were Paddy shot -16 over 4 rounds let alone 2

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

That's disrespectful, you play the opposition as much as the course, he won plenty of competitions in his prime,it doesn't matter if it was 1 over or 50 under, we are lucky for a small country to have one or two -(boxing, rugby) where we are punching above our weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭dublin49

wasnt Paddy 5 ahead going into last day of European tournament, BMW maybe and was disqualified foe signing the card wrong

If you're looking to be offended then maybe but I meant no disrespect. Harrington is a legend in my book but he was not known for shooting the lights out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭finglashoop

harringtons grind and will to win was unbelievable

rory has had some big leads hasnt he?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,527 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

He shot ridic scores many times. I remember the Portugal event he won a few years ago with a ridiculously low score, Tigers event the Target World Challenge where he shot -20 and there were a few wins on the European tour besides Portugal where he won and shot high teens under par in them. He also shot high teens under par when finishing top three a few times.

Yeah, again I'm not looking to offend anyone. I'm a fan of Harringtons. But simply put he did not shoot the lights out often. Absolutely I'm sure there's a handful of tournaments where he had high teen finishes but against how many he played in he is more a grinder than a runaway winner.

• Advertisement

Anyways back to Seamus. He's been trending upwards for quite a while now. He's contending almost every week, if he keeps that up for the rest of the year he could be in the top ten in the world rankings. He's playing as well over the last year as anybody.

Some golfers are slow to hit their prime and enjoy their best golf between their early thirties and mid-forties. Hopefully that's the case with Seamus.

In July 2020 he finished tied 12th on the Rocket Mortgage classic to move from 505th in the world to 432nd.

Forward on 12 months and he won the Barbasol to move up to 113th in the rankings.

Since then he's moved up the rankings after almost every tournament.

He came into this tournanent hot having finished 4th, 15th, 3rd and 14th in his last four tournaments. He's currently 47th in the world and I'd imagine a win in this would push him up to the high 20's.

I'd disagree with that, I honestly don't remember him ever win a tournament that the winner came in close to level par outside of his PGA championship and his Open win at Birkdale.

Well you're disagreeing with something I didn't say. Padraig would not have been anyone's favourite in a birdie fest.

That's not the same as saying he only won shooting par. Which would be ridiculous.

Anyway, as you said. Back to Seamus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭abff

It was at the Belfry and the club got his scorecards in preparation for framing them if he won. When they examined the cards, they found that Michael Campbell had signed Padraig’s card and he was disqualified. If it hadn’t been discovered before play started, he would not have been disqualified. I remember Padraig got a lot of praise for how he handled the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

• Registered Users Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I fear Cantlay

• Registered Users Posts: 7,543 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I still don't think he's getting enough coverage from our media over here considering what he's doing

8 feet for eagle on the first. He's absolutely flushing it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,543 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

No eagle at the first, misread the putt, but still an opening birdie

Bogey on the par 3, he's +1 for the par 3's for the week to this point, -8 for the par 4's and the par 5's.

• Advertisement

Seamus looking just a little bit nervy so far. Hopefully he gets over it and kicks on.

Advertisement