Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seamus Power - PGA Tour Winner 2021/22

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭abff

In normal circumstances, tournaments played two or more years ago would drop out of the reckoning. However, the world rankings were frozen for 12 weeks in early 2020 and consequently tournaments played before the hiatus will not drop out of the reckoning until 12 weeks after they normally would.

This is week 9 of 2022 and week 6 of 2020 is 107 weeks ago, which means it would normally be excluded from the rankings by now. However, the 12 week hiatus means that is is treated as being only 95 weeks ago and therefore has a weighting of (104-95)/92 = .0978 and it will be another 9 weeks before that result falls out of the ranking calculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,223 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Another struggle of a weekend it seem, hopefully he can pull some birdies out for rest of today and have a better day tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 17,795 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Lot of work to do, in fairness it's a tough track so was always going to be difficult.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭abff

Too many aquatic adventures. He needs to play out of his skin from here on in if he’s going to make the cut tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

It seems that 3rd round at the AT&T has done some damage. He has not been the same player since.

Hopefully he can find his firm again soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Won't be going to the masters if this trend continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

He looks a completely different player since that 3rd round meltdown a few weeks back. No club in his bag is working!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭OEP

He has yet to prove himself in tournaments with a strong field on a difficult course. I've no doubt he can do it but his world ranking doesn't really reflect where he is at yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,760 ✭✭✭Motivator

Unfortunately a dip in form has come at the right wrong time for Seamus. He can’t get anything going and I think the Pebble Beach weekend fiasco has left it’s mark mentally. For those saying he has to prove himself in strong fields on better courses, he took apart Pebble Beach and set a scoring record for that event. It wasn’t the strongest field but the scoring was unbelievable. One bad round seems to have derailed him a bit.

This week is a right off, but if he can put in an under par round today and move on to Sawgrass in a better frame of mind then it’ll be something at least. He seems to like Sawgrass he has a top 35 finish there a couple of years ago with a hole in one on 3rd hole. He needs a made cut at the very minimum next week and probably needs more than that, maybe a top 30, to get top 50 in OWGR locked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

I dont know about that....a very harsh assessment he's playing some courses hes never played before. OWGR are a good indicator and allot in his golfing life is different than it ever was before.

He came a cropper yesterday was in his irons and tbf that hasnt and isnt his strength. Bay Hill exposed that. He lost 4.5 Shots to the field on approach to the green.

Other tracks will suit his game better...Sawgrass next week for example

• Advertisement

Maybe a bit harsh if he has been playing courses he has never played before, but I think the point still stands about proving himself in strong fields on tougher courses - hopefully he can turn it around at The Players and prove me wrong. He has done alright there before

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Sure has... & that was a tough field btw.. T35th in 2019. Allot of Top50 golfers didnt make the cut that week. Lowry, Im, Xander, Leishman, Speith, Cantlay etc.

We have to be fair.. he has excelled. He's a much better player compared to 2019 (OWGR 432nd!!). He is worthy of his Top50 ranking.

I know, and I'm a huge fan of his. I've been following him since his egolf days and it's so impressive to see what he has achieved. But I guess I was just trying to take a bit of a cold hard look at things. Getting results between March and August is the real test of how good you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Xander10

+9 after ten holes today.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,860 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well he's been struggling since the third day at Pebble beach.

If he had a coach he'd have it fixed by now. I think that's a situation he needs to sort out.

Well he himself will disagree with that statement. He’s had a few different coaches and the last, Nick Bradley, was a total spoofer who did more harm than good. In his own words, coaches complicate things that don’t need to be made complicated. I’ve said it before here and I’ll say it again, his caddie is a +5 or +6 golfer and is as good as any coach to him anyway. In reality a coach isn’t going to teach him how to play the shots he needs. The problem with Seamus is his head, the only man to remedy that was Bob Rotella. Maybe a trip to see Bob over the weekend might do the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 chasingbirdies

I'm neutral on whether he needs a coach or not, that is a decision only Seamus can make , he has got to where he is without one so I would tend to agree with your point on mental game and more time with Rotella could be important, he could be forcing things at the moment after having such a good run and feeling the pressure on missing out on Augusta after putting himself in a great position to make it there.

But... please stop comparing his caddie to a golf coach, +5 handicap or not he is not a swing coach, yes he trained as a teaching pro for awhile but your logic of him being a good golfer = coach just doesn't add up, he's his caddie and friend and they have a superb partnership but he's not a coach and if Seamus is looking to him for coaching then he probably does need to think about getting a full time coach.

I really hope they get back on track next week at the players as it has been very exciting following the two for the past year or so

Have a look at the top ten golfers in the world and tell me which ones don't have coaches?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Here we go again with the boards' golf fans obsession with coaches. Not only do they know nothing about the ins and outs of the individual player's thinking, practice, preparation and mindset, but also, is there a more boring conversation than what a coach is or isn't doing?

When someone brings up coaches, you can just sense that person is annoyed with the player for not being in contention that weekend and so must have a desperate pop at them because they have nothing to watch on the telly.

That's crap, I'm pointing out that everybody in the top ten has a coach. Therefore if you want to be in the top ten you should do what they're doing and get a coach.

Seamus hasn't recovered from when things went wrong on the Saturday in Pebble Beach. If he had a coach that might have been sorted on the Sunday and definitely would have been before his next tournament.

It's you that's clueless imo.

And I'm not bored, I just want to see Seamus Power become a top ten golfer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭CSWS101

Seamus is a good golfer and can have a successful career on the PGA tour but a top 10 golfer he is not. Top 50 is a more realistic aim for him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Down to 50 now, would be a shame if he missed the Masters invite

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Xander10

A nice eagle on the 2nd (his 11th) following on from a birdie on 17th & bogey on 18th.

At -1. conditions still wet.

would be nice to get in a couple under for his delayed first round.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭boardise

The eagle has landed -at his eleventh hole...now jumps up to -1 in 54th place . making the cut a must and looking quite feasible at this point.

I can see them reducing to 54 holes and I’d say at this stage that’s the best that can be salvaged. Play won’t resume until 11 am local time which is 4 our time, they were up against it to get the whole thing finished with the dodgy light at this time of year. I think there’ll be serious calls to move it back to May again now after this. Absolutely nothing the tour can do about the weather but still it’s very frustrating for them and the players.

If it is reduced to 54 holes, are the ranking points etc. dished out in full or is there a reduction?

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

They are saying it will go to a Tuesday finish

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Infoseeker1975

That will give them 7.5hrs tomorrow and there is no rain forecast after 11am, also Sunday and Monday are ok so it will be a Monday finish.

The later starters in R1 will get R2 finished tomorrow, the cut will be made by lunchtime Sunday and then a 2 tee start for R3 on Sunday afternoon, probably part of R3 getting completed early on Monday before completing the final round on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Panrich

Going steadily so far today and even though he has let a few chances get away, he's currently -1 for his round and up to T25. Keep the disasters off the card and he'll be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Scrabbel

Pity about the bogey but a level par round would lift him well up the leader board the way things are going. Avoiding disasters definitely the key.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Scrabbel

Go Seamus! Up to -3 now, great going today so far.

Advertisement