Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Even more adverts you despise

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,674 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Regarding all the Vodafone adverts, if those people were relying on that companies services to achieve the seemly life-altering moments in their lives then they might be spending far too much of their time staring at a non-responsive terminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Manach wrote: »
    Regarding all the Vodafone adverts, if those people were relying on that companies services to achieve the seemly life-altering moments in their lives then they might be spending far too much of their time staring at a non-responsive terminal.

I've never had major issues with Vodafone. Virgin Broadband could be iffy, Imagine was decent but then they started strangling their bandwidth.

Eir broadband was the WORST... absolutely abominable. Everything from cutting out, cutting off, to suddenly having your speeds cut to almost 56kbps slowness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Lidl with the level the playing field one. Its like a headache.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Sam Hain wrote: »

Plus it ignores how TG4 were sponsoring the Ladies football for years. (Until budget cuts).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭golondrinas

Misandry at work here? Wont shop there anymore if that’s their mindset.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭irs

Manach wrote: »

Against some tough competition Vodafone have had the creepiest ads of the past year. The latest one has the line "we are more connected then ever before" which is an unbelievable thing to say in the circumstances. Then there was "the way we are connecting is changing" last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I absolutely despise Supervalu ads

• Registered Users Posts: 15,844 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

PsychoPete wrote: »
    I absolutely despise Supervalu ads

The radio version is way too chirpy about mundane savings and products.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Pythagorean

Furthermore to that ad, the young nerdy lad role-playing as some army general wouldn't last thirty seconds in military training :D

I thought that army person at the start was actually a butch female, in fact I think there is a feminist subtext to the advert, the mothers imperious "and Tom...." with her finger in the air. The angelic child is androgynous too. The men in the ad are mute, and passively compliant. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

I thought that army person at the start was actually a butch female, in fact I think there is a feminist subtext to the advert, the mothers imperious "and Tom...." with her finger in the air. The angelic child is androgynous too. The men in the ad are mute, and passively compliant. :(

It's an ad I despise i know that's a bit strong but it really bugs me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭trashcan

I’m finding it hard to recall another ad that has generated so much negative comment on this thread. Seems fair to say it’s the most reviled ad of recent times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭Shakyfan

RTE's ad for that First Dates show where the guy at the end goes "I'm not interested in girls!"

You'd never have guessed!

trashcan wrote: »
    I’m finding it hard to recall another ad that has generated so much negative comment on this thread. Seems fair to say it’s the most reviled ad of recent times.

I hope official complaints are being made. I'd love to read those.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

The standard is terrible now, years ago there would be regular ads that people would enjoy and talk about, Hamlet cigars for one

Also, remember this one?

I recall being in a bar in Dublin watching a big soccer game, the pub was jam packed, at half time everyone started chatting as the ads started up. This ad came on and no exaggeration....the pub went totally silent as everyone just watched in amazement. A proper ad.

Sorry for going against the topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Shakyfan wrote: »
    RTE's ad for that First Dates show where the guy at the end goes "I'm not interested in girls!"

You'd never have guessed!

is that the tangerine traveller lad thats a reality TV whore?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭Shakyfan

is that the tangerine traveller lad thats a reality TV whore?

No idea who he is! He makes a comment about some woman's hair being lovely and then tries to stress that he's not hitting on her!

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

Yeah WTF is going on here ...men are being emasculated big time....the mother ordering her "Staff" around and the imperious finger wag at the end...

Saw the advt the other in the middle of serious session the other evening and had a strong impulse to fire an empty bottle at the screen.

May have to consider a makeshift chicken wire Grille......

And now we has the "More Mna" movement being promoted by various gobby beures .

Will not end well.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

I have had about enough of that Redheaded prune who goes up to the attic and blows on a book about Shaw. Right now I can't even remember what the ad is for, so it hasn't worked anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,280 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

The new Lidl ladies football ad.

Such aggression from the narrator, you'd swear they were still 'excluded' from playing the game. Fact is, they are getting more air-time than ever before despite being an inferior product.

That sort of toxic feminism does far more harm than good for their 'cause'.

I just hate it because you'd never have a match on a hill like that. Also, the opposition are useless!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭Acosta

"I'm a nodder. Up to the football, down to the app. Like a dog on a dashboard."

You're a twat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Acosta wrote: »
    "I'm a nodder. Up to the football, down to the app. Like a dog on a dashboard."

You're a twat

What ad is that? Let me guess - Ladbroke’s?

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    I just hate it because you'd never have a match on a hill like that. Also, the opposition are useless!

I played a couple of soccer matches on hills like that. Where's my ad?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

I have had about enough of that Redheaded prune who goes up to the attic and blows on a book about Shaw. Right now I can't even remember what the ad is for, so it hasn't worked anyway.

Yeah...and why does she have a picture of Fr.Jack.............:D

What bothers me is it's clearly dinner time and she's still got her staff in a meeting. While her 8 year old serves up dinner poor Tom is thinking "Great, now I can start cooking my own dinner".

If she was my boss, I'd be spending my days on indeed.com.

irs wrote: »
    Against some tough competition Vodafone have had the creepiest ads of the past year. The latest one has the line "we are more connected then ever before" which is an unbelievable thing to say in the circumstances. Then there was "the way we are connecting is changing" last year.

Which is ironic because anytime I try to contact vodafone it's a complete nightmare. They even removed their "Talk to" forum from Boards. Also their website and app have turned to complete sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭Acosta

fricatus wrote: »
    What ad is that? Let me guess - Ladbroke’s?

I think so. Between watching stuff online and on TV, I'm bombarded with with so much betting ads can't be a hundred percent it's Ladbrokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭neris

stupid new ad for coke with everyone dancing or doing some stupid leg movements

neris wrote: »
    stupid new ad for coke with everyone dancing or doing some stupid leg movements

Saw that last night. Took an immediate dislike to it.

Has anyone mentioned the dominos ad yet? Himalayan Herring. I mute that ad anytime it comes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

AIB: "Our range of blahblahblah solutions are tailored for your needs"

English grammar 101: a singular noun (range) takes a singular verb form (is tailored).

How the hell do advertising professionals not catch this? Shoddy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,116 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

fricatus wrote: »
    AIB: "Our range of blahblahblah solutions are tailored for your needs"

English grammar 101: a singular noun (range) takes a singular verb form (is tailored).

How the hell do advertising professionals not catch this? Shoddy!

Is solutions not the noun in question here? It doesn't sound right to say "Our range of XXX solutions is tailored for your needs"

Advertisement