Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Even more adverts you despise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭Archeron

The nightmare on elm Street looking tweetie pie with a banjo is back to threaten us with death by carbon monoxide. I hate him, but I wouldn't say it to his face because I'd say he's killed people.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Auld Jim Halpin

Archeron wrote: »
    The nightmare on elm Street looking tweetie pie with a banjo is back to threaten us with death by carbon monoxide. I hate him, but I wouldn't say it to his face because I'd say he's killed people.

Tommy!, ah no, Tommy's a proper gent, sure hasn't he given up his life to pass on the message of the dangers of carbon monoxide to all the people. The McAnairey family suffered enough with the passing of dear Uncle Pat, get yourself a carbon monoxide alarm!

Brilliant ad, memorable, clear and strong message, also a terrible ear-worm but that's a good thing for a safety ad I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Parabellum9

Catchy tune, but I still don’t understand how you might “wake up dead” - that’s some Schrödinger’s cat **** right there :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Halenvaneddie

Tommy!, ah no, Tommy's a proper gent, sure hasn't he given up his life to pass on the message of the dangers of carbon monoxide to all the people. The McAnairey family suffered enough with the passing of dear Uncle Pat, get yourself a carbon monoxide alarm!

Brilliant ad, memorable, clear and strong message, also a terrible ear-worm but that's a good thing for a safety ad I suppose.

He used to scare the bejasus out of my daughter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

My son too. Was properly freaked out and asked several times about 'waking up dead'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Weird how that advert gets on before the 6pm slot, but a Tampon advert got banned.

One's definitely more chilling-even if it gets the point across.

(And I had no issue with the tampon advert, the 'Get em up there, girls')

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Halenvaneddie

optogirl wrote: »
    My son too. Was properly freaked out and asked several times about 'waking up dead'.

Lol, even now if he comes on she’s not happy, good ad though , leaves an impression like the AIDS ad’s from the 80’s

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

Lol, even now if he comes on she’s not happy, good ad though , leaves an impression like the AIDS ad’s from the 80’s

Is it meant to be based on Ronnie Drew?? His family should sue, it’s terrifying!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Auld Jim Halpin

Gervais08 wrote: »
    Is it meant to be based on Ronnie Drew?? His family should sue, it’s terrifying!!!

It's just Tommy's way,his teaching persona, he wants the chiselers to learn the important message, he doesn't mind losing face if he saves a few lives! This image is closer to the real Tommy, I met him once, he bought me a pint!

carbon-monoxide.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Archeron wrote: »

I like that one, public information films should be scary, it's the best way to get their message across.

• Advertisement

They could have gone full on white terror like some of the fire safety adverts before, now that’s a lost art - You know an advert has done the job when even seeing it on YouTube 30 years later sends cold chills down your back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

There’s a lot worse ads out there than Tommy. If my child was freaked out by that ad I’d worry about them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭fluke

They could have gone full on white terror like some of the fire safety adverts before, now that’s a lost art - You know an advert has done the job when even seeing it on YouTube 30 years later sends cold chills down your back.

There was a great one years ago where in a dark sitting room this couch slowly catches on fire. It was quite chilling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭trashcan

I like that one, public information films should be scary, it's the best way to get their message across.

It’s a great ad. Catchy tune too. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

I really shouldn’t hate it as it’s for a good cause but Tubridy’s SVP advert gets on my wick.

Choice between getting kid a Teddy bear or “paying the electric bill” - where are you toy shopping, Harrods???? Go the 2 Euro and buy the kid a ****ing bear!!!

I made a donation to the SVP btw - not a monster but the ad is stupid!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

I've been skeptical about charities since I found out how much money their CEO's and higher ups were making.

I'll donate to friends causes, like a buddy of mine did Movember (this time he gave up sugars and started doing 10 K a day, rather than just not shaving) and I gave to that.
    It's more about supporting a friend than the charities.

But other charities... I'm wary.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,753 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

John.
    Wha?
    Did you put the cat out?

fluke wrote: »
    There was a great one years ago where in a dark sitting room this couch slowly catches on fire. It was quite chilling.

I remember that one alright. Nothing beats “Searching” though, it’s disturbing on so many levels (and they used to time these perfectly to come on late at night to scare the extra **** out of you :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭fluke

I remember that one alright. Nothing beats “Searching” though, it’s disturbing on so many levels (and they used to time these perfectly to come on late at night to scare the extra **** out of you :D)

Good lord.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

They had to have a priest do the voice over at the end of that PSA to make it even more creepy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

All the 'Christmas people' from the Amazon ads seem like the kind of people you would go out of your way to avoid.
    Christmas Lisa looks like a pure dose who thinks she is simply hilarious.
    Christmas Sean looks like he should be on some sort of watclist.
    Christmas Joe the 'cool uncle' :rolleyes: looks incredibly smug and also comes across like a Bond villain.
    Christmas Claire looks like she's off her box on a mix of booze and pills.

The SuperValu ad has me going spare because I am certain I know that street. I keep pausing it but I can't do my usual thing of getting down on the floor in front of the TV to study it cause I broke my ankle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

The SuperValu ad has me going spare because I am certain I know that street. I keep pausing it but I can't do my usual thing of getting down on the floor in front of the TV to study it cause I broke my ankle.

Looks like Old Bawn Way in Tallaght to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

All the 'Christmas people' from the Amazon ads seem like the kind of people you would go out of your way to avoid.
    Christmas Lisa looks like a pure dose who thinks she is simply hilarious.
    Christmas Sean looks like he should be on some sort of watclist.
    Christmas Joe the 'cool uncle' :rolleyes: looks incredibly smug and also comes across like a Bond villain.
    Christmas Claire looks like she's off her box on a mix of booze and pills.

And Christmas Jeff is a c u n t who, despite a personal fortune amounting to 200 billion, wouldn’t just pay his low-paid workers sick pay during the pandemic, instead encouraging them to “gift” each other their meagre complement of leave days.

Shop local!

fussyonion wrote: »
    Looks like Old Bawn Way in Tallaght to me.

I just checked it out. A bit, but I don't think so.
    I'm convinced it's somewhere I pass regularly so that'd be Bray or Greystones. They shoot so many ads around there it wouldn't be unusual. Some local Bray heads are as convinced as I am.
    Probably just looks like a wall around here

I just checked it out. A bit, but I don't think so.
    I'm convinced it's somewhere I pass regularly so that'd be Bray or Greystones. They shoot so many ads around there it wouldn't be unusual. Some local Bray heads are as convinced as I am.
    Probably just looks like a wall around here

“It was filmed in a lovely house in Templeogue and if you needed to go to the loo then you have to use the toilet in the house, but because of the regulations, people couldn't come two metres near me”

I don’t know Templeogue or where it is :D

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/hug-in-supervalu-christmas-ad-was-created-by-magic-of-television-39746320.html

“It was filmed in a lovely house in Templeogue and if you needed to go to the loo then you have to use the toilet in the house, but because of the regulations, people couldn't come two metres near me”

I don’t know Templeogue or where it is :D

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/hug-in-supervalu-christmas-ad-was-created-by-magic-of-television-39746320.html

I'd love to give up now and accept that the street may be Templeogue but doesn't always work that way with filming, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Another song being mangled on an ad. Praise You by Fatboy Slim being warbled. One of my favourites, now they muck it up.

madmaggie wrote: »
    Another song being mangled on an ad. Praise You by Fatboy Slim being warbled. One of my favourites, now they muck it up.

So sick of this as well, turning a song in to some slow whispered funeral dirge does not make you artistic or sound “meaningful”. What’s next - “I think we’re alone now” being sung in hushed tones and single chords for a sexual assault advert? I shouldn’t even say that because one of those advertising execs will probably go “**** yeah that’s a great idea” :D

• Advertisement

madmaggie wrote: »

Add David Gray's "This Year's Love" to that list too.

Advertisement