Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and cycling

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Another letter in today's Irish Times...
    Will cyclists get the message?

Not justifying whatever the cyclist was doing but I wonder how many cars she passed wheee the driver was breaking the law

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/will-cyclists-get-the-message-1.3947986

2 responses today:
    Sharing the road

Sir, – Rita Moore (July 9th) was obviously exercised enough at the sight of a cyclist using his mobile phone that she wrote to your newspaper. Her point is, indeed, valid. Might I suggest that if she chose to write to the editor each time she saw a motorist engaging in such a hapless preoccupation, perhaps An Post would not be closing their letter-sorting depots. – Yours, etc,

ROSS KELLY,

Monkstown,

Co Dublin.

Sir, – Rita Moore relates an incident of a cyclist texting on his phone and wonders whose fault it would have been if her car had “clipped” the cyclist while she overtook him.

Because a car is like a stick of dynamite, in that it is capable of killing everyone in the immediate vicinity at any moment, a car driver should proceed with the same care as someone carrying a load of high explosives through the streets.

In any collision between a car and a bicycle, the car is the lethal factor, and therefore the onus to avoid a collision is always greater on the car driver, whether or not a cyclist or pedestrian is being attentive. I am disappointed that this message has still not penetrated the consciousness of the car-driving public. – Yours, etc,

MARY MORRISSEY,

Castletownbere,

Co Cork.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/sharing-the-road-1.3950391

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

Interesting, Twitter has a new policy on dehumanising language focused initially on religious groups:
    Tweets that dehumanize people on behalf of their religious alignment — for instance, referring to them as “rats,” “viruses,” and “filthy animals” — are now explicitly forbidden by the platform’s rules.

I wonder will it eventually extend to cyclists as a swarming scourge.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

Duckjob wrote: »
    New EPA report out showing dangerous levels of Nitrogen dioxide in Dublin city streets due to heavy presence of motorized traffic and linking it directly to increased respiratory problems such as asthma, emphysema, lung cancer etc.

How much of this before politicians and planners start paying some real attention to cycling ? Will they even? Or will it just be "better get those electric car incentives rolled out lads!"

How did you guess :rolleyes:? That was exactly the response of our Minister for Transport

The findings of this EPA Report and the potential health concerns arising for those living and working along these routes are a matter of grave concern. We need to act and reduce NO2 emissions in urban areas. Older diesel vehicles are the key perpetrators in terms of NO2 emissions. I am glad to report that we are already investing in new, cleaner and greener buses, electrifying Dublin commuter rail and providing generous incentives for taxis to make the switch to electric. We must also convince urban dwellers to switch from diesel cars to the cleaner electric and hybrid alternative

Ditto Richard Bruton though some DCCAE tweets during the day did refer to cycling and cycle lanes

https://dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/news-and-media/press-releases/Pages/Ministers-Ross-and-Bruton-Respond-to-EPA-Findings-on-Nitrogen-Dioxide-Levels-

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Cyclists: Scourge of the streets? Has surprised me so far.

I didn't think it could be as bad as it is, but it well and truly is. According to the typical cockney black cab drivers, all other road users have 100% committment to not breaking laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Lol the irony of a black cabbie pontificating on the rules of the road

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Weepsie wrote: »

I didn't think it could be as bad as it is, but it well and truly is. According to the typical cockney black cab drivers, all other road users have 100% committment to not breaking laws.
    maybe we need a 'cycling in the media' thread alongside this one, i don't think that program counts as journalism from what i've heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/if-you-live-in-a-city-how-can-you-protect-yourself-against-air-pollution-1.3951743?mode=amp
    To paraphrase they basically say there is little you can do about the pollution if commuting on a bike other than changing your route! They also say the health benefits outweigh the damage from motor fumes. I question that spending time sucking bus fumes every morning. Anyone know had this been looked at?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,655 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Weepsie wrote: »

It was hilarious. But I do fear for the poor hapless cyclist that gets passed by one of the enraged viewers the following day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭what_traffic

work wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/if-you-live-in-a-city-how-can-you-protect-yourself-against-air-pollution-1.3951743?mode=amp
    To paraphrase they basically say there is little you can do about the pollution if commuting on a bike other than changing your route! They also say the health benefits outweigh the damage from motor fumes. I question that spending time sucking bus fumes every morning. Anyone know had this been looked at?

Not a lot written about it in Ireland to date.
    pollutionwatch in the Guardian has alot of info on air pollution especially for London
    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/series/pollutionwatch

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

The NOx pollution is worse inside a car (higher NOx concentrations, and longer exposure because cars move so slowly during high pollution events, since that's peak travel time), so car occupants should be the ones urged to wear masks. Except those sort of masks don't filter out gaseous molecules; they're for particulates.

• Advertisement

Some of the advice being given is more for high-ozone events, which we don't really get, as far as I know, since you need both NOx and high UV.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭Cyclical Apocalypse

tomasrojo wrote: »
    The NOx pollution is worse inside a car (higher NOx concentrations, and longer exposure because cars move so slowly during high pollution events, since that's peak travel time), so car occupants should be the ones urged to wear masks. Except those sort of masks don't filter out gaseous molecules; they're for particulates.

Every car driver should wear one of these fashionable items.

s-l500.jpg

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Every car driver should wear one of these fashionable items.

s-l500.jpg
    ...a gun? Surely the car is lethal enough!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

work wrote: »
    on a bike, you'd typically pass a bus, or it pass you. in a car, you're trailing along behind it, your car ventilation sucking the fumes into the cabin, where wind can't blow it away from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Bot1

Some of the advice being given is more for high-ozone events, which we don't really get, as far as I know, since you need both NOx and high UV.

We got ground-level ozone produced in our urban areas last summer during the warm spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,060 ✭✭✭buffalo

Preaching to the choir in this forum, but great to see the Examiner run this piece: https://amp.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/views/columnists/the-foul-smelling-polluting-car-must-be-driven-out-of-our-cities-936075.html

Anti-car more than pro-cycling, but they're so often complementary.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

buffalo wrote: »
    Anti-car more than pro-cycling, but they're so often complementary.
    Any approach needs to point out the reasons cars don't work in our cities as a means of transport rather than a pro-cycling agenda.
    Keep the articles coming (and I say that as someone who loves cars!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Duckjob

The negative effects of having city space taken over by cars is, I think, much deeper than we even imagine now.

I don't think its any small coincidence that cities in Ireland and UK in particular, that are clogged with car traffic, seem to have a noticably bigger problem with very visible and accepted anti-social behaviours than countries (like Denmark, NL, and the Nordic countries) that have their city spaces geared towards people. I'm talking about youth gangs, assaults, muggings, intimidation, knife crime, open drug use, public urination etc etc

I think when an area is clogged with cars, although the people in them are still *physically* present, they are not *socially* present, and I also think the resulting lack of social presence is a prime factor for anti-social problems to multiply.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 J11

The negative effects of having city space taken over by cars is, I think, much deeper than we even imagine now.

I don't think its any small coincidence that cities in Ireland and UK in particular, that are clogged with car traffic, seem to have a noticably bigger problem with very visible and accepted anti-social behaviours than countries (like Denmark, NL, and the Nordic countries) that have their city spaces geared towards people. I'm talking about youth gangs, assaults, muggings, intimidation, knife crime, open drug use, public urination etc etc

I think when an area is clogged with cars, although the people in them are still *physically* present, they are not *socially* present, and I also think the resulting lack of social presence is a prime factor for anti-social problems to multiply.

I 100% agree with you.

CmNcSQmWgAIJ7cK.jpg

Bot1 wrote: »
    We got ground-level ozone produced in our urban areas last summer during the warm spell.
    Thanks for that; I wasn't aware of that, but I'm not surprised.

I'm not saying you can't get ground-level ozone events here, but they're not a frequent occurrence, unlike a lot of European cities. The EPA do monitor for ground-level ozone, and have to issue a health warning to the public if it gets to about 100 parts per billion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Bot1

Thanks for that; I wasn't aware of that, but I'm not surprised.

I'm not saying you can't get ground-level ozone events here, but they're not a frequent occurrence, unlike a lot of European cities. The EPA do monitor for ground-level ozone, and have to issue a health warning to the public if it gets to about 100 parts per billion.

You're totally correct! It's not that common here, as you say we don't generally get the sunshine.

It's a major issue in parts of Europe!

180ug/m3 or 90 ppb ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

It would be interesting to look at the level of cycling infrastructure in different areas of Paris and environs and the level of social problems in the same areas - St Denis, Clichy, Bois de Vincennes, Suresnes, etc for variety.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,621 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

New app to check if a HGV has a valid permit with the city....

https://www.thejournal.ie/hgv-vehicle-valid-permit-app-4725050-Jul2019/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭JMcL

Rechuchote wrote: »
    It would be interesting to look at the level of cycling infrastructure in different areas of Paris and environs and the level of social problems in the same areas - St Denis, Clichy, Bois de Vincennes, Suresnes, etc for variety.

I'm fairly familiar with the Bois de Vincennes - at least the eastern side from Vincennes to the Hippodrome over toward Nogent and Joinville. I can't say I've ever felt insecure there - yes there are all the white vans parked on the avenues which does lend an air of seediness (for those unfamiliar with Paris, it's not a couple of lads out to build you a shed - see here - NSFW) but there are loads of trails through the forest and around the lakes that are brilliant for walking. Haven't cycled there that much - though plenty do - but will happily go out for a 2 hour walk in the morning when there. Not familiar with the western part around Saint Mande and the peripherique which I imagine could be a bit livelier.

There are certainly areas of Creteil I wouldn't fancy walking around, and I can't say I've seen a lot of bike lanes of any sort or bikes for that matter. My only real experience of St Denis is getting to/from the Stade de France but I can't say I've ever felt any desire to linger.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I think this is really interesting.

Same journalist - same article - run in the Financial Times and the Irish Times.

Financial Times Headline:
    Lucy Kellaway on turning 60 — and starting out afresh

https://www.ft.com/content/049564ce-a188-11e9-974c-ad1c6ab5efd1

Same article in the Irish Times:
    Lucy Kellaway on online dating at 60: ‘I rule out men wearing Lycra on a bicycle’

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/lucy-kellaway-on-online-dating-at-60-i-rule-out-men-wearing-lycra-on-a-bicycle-1.3956957

As we all know, articles are written by journalist - but headlines are written by the copy editor.

In the case above - the Irish Times editor has mis-paraphrased a sentence from the article - and chosen to use that as a headline.

You have to dig really hard into the article to find the relevant sentence.

The actual sentence from the article is - I only rule out a man purely on photo grounds if he has chosen to display himself wearing Lycra on a bicycle

There are twenty other snippets they could have used as a headline - but this is what the Irish Times goes with?

What does this tell us about its attitude towards cyclists.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    I think this is really interesting.

Same journalist - same article - run in the Financial Times and the Irish Times.

Financial Times Headline:
    Lucy Kellaway on turning 60 — and starting out afresh

https://www.ft.com/content/049564ce-a188-11e9-974c-ad1c6ab5efd1

Same article in the Irish Times:
    Lucy Kellaway on online dating at 60: ‘I rule out men wearing Lycra on a bicycle’

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/lucy-kellaway-on-online-dating-at-60-i-rule-out-men-wearing-lycra-on-a-bicycle-1.3956957

As we all know, articles are written by journalist - but headlines are written by the copy editor.

In the case above - the Irish Times editor has mis-paraphrased a sentence from the article - and chosen to use that as a headline.

You have to dig really hard into the article to find the relevant sentence.

The actual sentence from the article is - I only rule out a man purely on photo grounds if he has chosen to display himself wearing Lycra on a bicycle

There are twenty other snippets they could have used as a headline - but this is what the Irish Times goes with?

What does this tell us about its attitude towards cyclists.....

Yea I bet if he was was some overweight fat yoke driving a Mercedes in a gant sweatshirt he’d be all right.

Anyway, came from my checkup with the doc this morning. After multiple pulmonary embolisms resulting from surgery I had nearly three years ago, he said I was in amazing health for someone hitting fifty. Perfect heart, cholesterol and no signs of diabetes, high blood pressure, angina etc. Doc said he’s sick of seeing fellas my age who are in terrible health. Probably what yer wan in the article is looking for

• Registered Users Posts: 28,638 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    New app to check if a HGV has a valid permit with the city....

https://www.thejournal.ie/hgv-vehicle-valid-permit-app-4725050-Jul2019/

Might have been a good idea to include a link to the app in the article. Has anyone managed to find it yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Might have been a good idea to include a link to the app in the article. Has anyone managed to find it yet?

On android at least, when I go to the play store and search for "HGV Permit Checker" the app is available to download.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

tuxy wrote: »
    On android at least, when I go to the play store and search for "HGV Permit Checker" the app is available to download.

Does it do anything other than tell you they shouldn't be there or does it actually serve a purpose and notify the Gardai otherwise its pointless other than to rise blood pressure?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

CramCycle wrote: »
    Does it do anything other than tell you they shouldn't be there or does it actually serve a purpose and notify the Gardai otherwise its pointless other than to rise blood pressure?

It says you can use it to report. I'm not in Dublin so maybe someone on here can try it and let us know if it's worth using

7c1479e1a680dd094fa7fefa900766be.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement