Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and cycling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Interesting to read the comments in the media about DCC closing one small area of Dublin, yet keeping it open to pedestrians and cyclists. Looks like Joe "Road Tax" Public is not impressed. I obviously underestimate the amount of people who'll happily spend €20 parking for a days shopping in Dublin....and put up with gridlock getting to and from the shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Interesting to read the comments in the media about DCC closing one small area of Dublin, yet keeping it open to pedestrians and cyclists. Looks like Joe "Road Tax" Public is not impressed. I obviously underestimate the amount of people who'll happily spend €20 parking for a days shopping in Dublin....and put up with gridlock getting to and from the shops.

While the area was open to cyclists.... It would have been quicker just to follow the diversions around college green if you wanted to get around quickly..

In short, loads of barriers in the middle, no clear area for cyclists and you'd either have to walk your bike or move very slowly through the crowd... oh and still watch out for the Bus and Luas...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I think this post from another thread is apt here...
    Conchir wrote: »
    This photo really shows the stupidity of it. Empty roads and all those people still crammed into paths.

It is so hard to believe someone genuinely thought this was a good idea, it’s easier to believe they’ve done it poorly on purpose.
    https://twitter.com/seamusdo/status/1152900732003262465?s=21

I think this post from another thread is apt here...

It's almost as if DCC wanted it to be rubbish so no one would demand it be done again...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,764 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I only saw it in passing on the Luas (had to go to family), but from the little I saw, and the tweets I'm seeing ... they barricaded pedestrians onto the footpaths to keep them off the (empty) roads?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,764 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Tenzor07 wrote: »

They've been caught out trying to make the trial fail

• Registered Users Posts: 9,162 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

"An Austrian triathlete said she was hit, beaten, tied up and taken to an unknown house after being hit by a car while cycling." :eek:

https://www.euronews.com/2019/07/27/kidnapped-triathlete-freed-after-complimenting-captor-on-his-orchids

I wonder how The Journal commenters would make it about hi-viz or road tax :pac:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Cyclists have criticised Cork’s transport chiefs for sanctioning a temporary bus-parking arrangement which has led to blockages of bike lanes linking the city to the train station.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/activist-authorities-have-a-duty-to-make-sure-cyclists-are-protected-939773.html

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

New multimillion-euro cycle path in north Dublin included in BusConnects plans
    A multimillion-euro cycle path running along the back of Dublin’s Mountjoy Prison and underneath the North Circular Road, to allow cyclists to bypass Phibsborough village, has been included in new designs for the BusConnects programme.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/new-multimillion-euro-cycle-path-in-north-dublin-included-in-busconnects-plans-1.3970140

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

New multimillion-euro cycle path in north Dublin included in BusConnects plans
    A multimillion-euro cycle path running along the back of Dublin’s Mountjoy Prison and underneath the North Circular Road, to allow cyclists to bypass Phibsborough village, has been included in new designs for the BusConnects programme.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/new-multimillion-euro-cycle-path-in-north-dublin-included-in-busconnects-plans-1.3970140

Looks good.
    As long as provision for cyclists is still made through the village...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

nee wrote: »
    Looks good.

This is mentioned.
    While cyclists will still have the option of using the dedicated cycling facilities along the bus lanes that will run from Ballymun and Finglas, a new cycle route is proposed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Chiparus

nee wrote: »
    Looks good.

Greeks bearing gifts comes to mind.

Wont be long before cyclists will be banned from using the bus lane as there will be a viable alternative and it will be in the "cyclists interest" to ban them.

Cant have bicycles holding up the superfast bus,:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Chiparus wrote: »
    Greeks bearing gifts comes to mind.

Wont be long before cyclists will be banned from using the bus lane as there will be a viable alternative and it will be in the "cyclists interest" to ban them.

Cant have bicycles holding up the superfast bus,:rolleyes:

That's one of the arguments being used against the crumlin road section of Busconnects .

It's funny seeing it used by a house which has a taxi parked in its driveway :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

SPDUB wrote: »
    That's one of the arguments being used against the crumlin road section of Busconnects .
    :D

Coming past Crumlin Childrens hospital a few weeks ago, I was at one of those multiple double lights and a DB was just behind me.It is a long straight road, clearly going to be faster, so I indicated to the bus driver to go ahead. She waved me on and pointed at the stop not to far away. She was dead on, never seen her again and I was not exactly pushing it. If only every driver had such common sense fore sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,069 ✭✭✭buffalo

BusConnects and Stoneybatter:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/dublin-motorists-face-3km-diversion-under-city-bus-plan-1.3971140
    A one-way traffic system designed for Dublin’s Stoneybatter, as part of the BusConnects programme, would force motorists into a detour of almost 3km, through some of the worst traffic in the capital’s inner city.

The poor motorists, being forced through traffic. It's as though they have nothing to do with each other. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

buffalo wrote: »
    BusConnects and Stoneybatter:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/dublin-motorists-face-3km-diversion-under-city-bus-plan-1.3971140

The poor motorists, being forced through traffic. It's as though they have nothing to do with each other. :rolleyes:

Should read:

New 3km shortcut being created for motorists if they take the bus instead

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

In order to move people towards more sustainable transport you need to tip the balance of convenience and comfort in the direction of the transport modes you want to promote and part of that involves actually making bringing a private car (especially a single occupancy one) into cities a lot less comfortable than it is now.

Public transport issues aside, a lot of people in Ireland are too entrenched in their cars, and some of those people will unfortunately need to feel a bit of pain to help them to broaden their thinking around their mobility choices.

However, there's a notion among our planners and politicians (and supported by media narrative like this IT article) that we must never do anything that might that might "affect traffic".

It makes me laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,873 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

road pricing is the way to go, you want to drive up Baggot st at 8:30 on a Monday morning, its going to cost you, you want to rattle around a Donegal boreen , its on the house.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

silverharp wrote: »
    road pricing is the way to go, you want to drive up Baggot st at 8:30 on a Monday morning, its going to cost you, you want to rattle around a Donegal boreen , its on the house.

I’d prefer general restrictions. Congestion charges just mean “free for the rich” in the long run, look at London.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Qrt wrote: »
    I’d prefer general restrictions. Congestion charges just mean “free for the rich” in the long run, look at London.

Agreed, make it so challenging or time consuming to drive that it's clearly the worst choice. As you say congestion charging favours the wealthy.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Am I reading the same article? It never said we shouldn't do it or sympathised with the motorists. It said motorists will be forced to take the long way round, which is what I'm assuming most people here would advocate?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

Am I reading the same article? It never said we shouldn't do it or sympathised with the motorists. It said motorists will be forced to take the long way round, which is what I'm assuming most people here would advocate?

I think it’s the fact they’re giving the impression the detour is just for the craic and isn’t going to severely improve commuters using any of the Blanch buses, or that there won’t be a tremendous increase in air quality.

My problem is with the opening paragraph and headline.
    Dublin motorists face 3km diversion under city bus plan

A one-way traffic system designed for Dublin’s Stoneybatter, as part of the BusConnects programme, would force motorists into a detour of almost 3km, through some of the worst traffic in the capital’s inner city.

It's almost as if the motorists have no other choice than to drive in the traffic which they contribute to.

Rather than a headline and opening paragraph which sets an entirely different tone.

Stoneybatter residents achieve satisfactory amendments to BusConnects plan following engagement with NTA

or

Inchicore and Stoneybatter engagements with NTA on BusConnects demonstrate that solutions can and should be community led

or

BusConnects revisions in Stoneybatter reflect much needed future prioritisation of public transport over the private car - as agreed with local community

etc...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Qrt wrote: »
    I think it’s the fact they’re giving the impression the detour is just for the craic and isn’t going to severely improve commuters using any of the Blanch buses, or that there won’t be a tremendous increase in air quality.

It's pretty clear that it's in order to prioritise buses, and not "just for the craic". I think it's significant that they're finally willing to bite the bullet and push motorist down the pecking order. That's newsworthy.

the article i saw does not mention how the bus gate operates. will it allow residents through?

the article i saw does not mention how the bus gate operates. will it allow residents through?

Must do - doesn't it mention retention of parking?

• Advertisement

Residents of the urban village last March protested against the National Transport Authority’s (NTA) initial BusConnects plans

Madness! Why would a resident object to the space outside their own doors being turned from a noisy polluted car/truck filled road into a cleaner quieter space for people?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement