Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and cycling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,505 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

zell12 wrote: »
    Cyclists versus haulage operators on Radio1 now
    Fight!

cyclists overtaking on the inside
    cyclists wearing no hi-vis meaning they blend into hedges
    cyclists going through red lights and don't pay road tax
    cyclists not using bells
    Dundalk has the worst cycling infrastructure
    etc etc

Was it the lovely Verona?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭JMcL

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Yes, I can quite see how wearing greeny-yellow clothing would make you stand out against a background of hedges.

Reminds me of a few years ago, stopped at a stop/go roadworks (in the car). Been there for a about 30 seconds or so when I became aware of movement in my peripheral vision. There was a lad standing beside the hedge blending into it chameleon like in his not so hi-vis

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Schrodingercat

Was it the lovely Verona?

Fine Gael Dail Candidate Verona Murphy. Scares the hell out of me if she got elected and got a transport portfolio.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Lumen wrote: »
    I'm not sure "End of." has ever been used by someone who isn't an absolute moron. It belongs in the same class of linguistic signifiers as "rightly or wrongly"

I put it up there with ending s sentence “fact”.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,137 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    I put it up there with ending s sentence “fact”.
    What about making a vague statement (or half-hearted question) followed with just "Thoughts?" on its own?

Thoughts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I am picking up genuine embarrassment on the part of the authorities at the criticisms of their infrastructure coming from the Velo-City delegates. There's also open mocking going on on Twitter by the delegates. Maybe somebody who attended can comment.

Maybe I was right:

https://twitter.com/bamacgabhann/status/1144323520941514760

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,502 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

CramCycle wrote: »
    The reason cycling is dangerous is not a lack of infrastructure, it is an accommodation both at societal and structural level of private transport. Building infrastructure without addressing these things will not fix them, and make cycling possibly more unattractive to many people.
    yes, and more yes, but; the clontarf to sutton cycle path. despite its few flaws, it's the nicest route to cycle in dublin.

yes, and more yes, but; the clontarf to sutton cycle path. despite its few flaws, it's the nicest route to cycle in dublin.
    And the Grand Canal Cycle route, despite its rather glaring problems, is also clearly very popular.

The Clontarf cycle route has a distinct advantage over other routes, in that people in cars aren't all that interested in driving into the sea, so it has fewer busy junctions than a lot of other routes. It still becomes very unsatisfactory when it meets a major junction: e.g. Eastpoint Business Park.

I guess that's not Clontarf-Sutton though. Forget I said it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I suggest skipping the comments section if you value your sanity.... the "Motortax" brigade are out in force!

https://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-cycling-conference-4699520-Jun2019/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,165 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Some people do cycle to work as part of their weekly training though, I think? I mean, they choose to cycle certain days over other options because they want to get the kilometres in for the week. Which I guess could mean a somewhat harder and faster riding style than a commuter. Maybe not, based on the old Commuter Races thread.

I used to anyway. I'd do a harder ride in and out of the city as part of training.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Switched on NT this morning around 8am and caught the tail end of a discussion with some legal guy from UK talking about the recent cyclist/pedestrian compensation case and using it to soapbox about how cyclists should be forced to wear helmets and be registered, pay a contribution etc etc.

Near to listen back later to see if I was just a weird dream or not.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,502 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

'Do I risk it?' Your photos of the world's best and worst cycling infrastructure
    https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2019/jun/27/do-i-risk-it-your-photos-of-the-worlds-best-and-worst-cycling-infrastructure
    there's one from dublin in there. not in the 'best' category, you'll be shocked to hear.

Duckjob wrote: »
    Switched on NT this morning around 8am and caught the tail end of a discussion with some legal guy from UK talking about the recent cyclist/pedestrian compensation case and using it to soapbox about how cyclists should be forced to wear helmets and be registered, pay a contribution etc etc.

Near to listen back later to see if I was just a weird dream or not.

So I didnt dream it, what was supposed to be a piece about phone zombies, was turned, completely unchallenged, into a rant about how cyclists need to be compelled to have insurance (with such other nonsense about helmets thrown in)

Very poor from Shane Coleman - he even finished with "is it time to crack down on phone zombies ? .... and indeed cyclists"

@meeeeh: Another one that should stick to covering Harry & Megan ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭blackwhite

So I didnt dream it, what was supposed to be a piece about phone zombies, was turned, completely unchallenged, into a rant about how cyclists need to be compelled to have insurance (with such other nonsense about helmets thrown in)

Very poor from Shane Coleman - he even finished with "is it time to crack down on phone zombies ? .... and indeed cyclists"

Heard it before I left the house.

Contributor was a UK-based lawyer - not surprising he wants compulsory insurance - more people to sue!

to a man with a hammer...

About Velo-city, I find this stuff more interesting than "I nearly died so many times" tweets (though those are indicative of where the authorities are going wrong too):
    https://twitter.com/KlausBondam/status/1144380473977839616

blackwhite wrote:
    Heard it before I left the house.

Contributor was a UK-based lawyer - not surprising he wants compulsory insurance - more people to sue!

I'm not so much surprised that someone in his position would try to push such a position.

More surprised with the laziness of the presenters that would allow a journalistic piece be taken so far off topic to suit someone with such an obvious agenda, even throwing in the old roadtax chestnut. I probably shouldnt be surprised or shocked at this stage though...

• Advertisement

I suspect this might be loser to the truth. It's certainly seems to be closer the to themes explored from the stage (I wasn't there though):

https://twitter.com/MaynoothCycling/status/1144646034947223552

that's astonishing. what conference did they attend?

Maybe it's a gesture of defiance? Or they thought all the foreigners saying "you sure wear a lot of helmets and hi-viz here" was a compliment.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

It was held in a parallel universe with sunny uplands where hi-viz keeps us all safe.

they thought all the foreigners saying "you sure wear a lot of helmets and hi-viz here" was a compliment.
    internal response was 'that's my bonus sorted for the year so'.

It does look as if they're unteachable really.

Yes, it does seem to be a "ratioed" tweet, as they say (62:3 now).

https://twitter.com/GalwayCycling/status/1144689371846774789

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/scotland/court-win-gives-injured-cyclists-green-light-to-sue-edinburgh-city-council-sctzcrcfg?t=ie

I believe there are a number of cases already in Dublin following falls of Luas tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Chiparus wrote: »

The Sessions court in Scotland is their equivalent of our Supreme court for civil matters.

A similar thing happened in Cork when the new cycling infrastructure was constructed, only it was pedestrians claiming when they tripped on kerbs that weren't there before. Circuit court, depending on judge found for Claimants and another for council.

An appeal to High Court resulted in council getting favourable verdict and that put an end to that type of claim.

These things are really a coin flip on what judge in a higher court gets to hear case.

It takes people a while to adjust to any new infrastructure, even if decent efforts are made to have it up to standard, people will sometimes get hurt

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Same drug induced nonsense posted on Facebook

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement