Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The iPhone 7 & 7 Plus Owners Thread - - - - (No posts about deliveries)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

How did it show itself? Like the unexpected shutdown issue with the 6s?

no i had it plugged into an official 12v apple charger with it at 23% and came back an hour later and the phone was at 10% with no use and wouldn't charge , i then plugged it into a 19v charger over night and after 8 hours it was at 98% and then drained with very little use with in a few hours where as i was getting easily a full day out of it with heavy use

• Registered Users Posts: 16,405 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Any 6s to 7 upgraders here? Specifically 6s Plus to 7 Plus?

I'm looking at getting a 6s Plus 64 or 128, or a 7 Plus 128. Wondering if the 7 premium is worth it, or if the mic jack & discount make the 6s more worthwhile for me. (I will be doing video and sound recording.)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Trojan wrote: »
    Any 6s to 7 upgraders here? Specifically 6s Plus to 7 Plus?

I'm looking at getting a 6s Plus 64 or 128, or a 7 Plus 128. Wondering if the 7 premium is worth it, or if the mic jack & discount make the 6s more worthwhile for me. (I will be doing video and sound recording.)

Depends on what price you're paying. If it's from the Apple site I'd pay the extra for the 7. If you're getting a bigger discount on the 6s Plus it would make a difference. Also, recording through a lightning equipped mic might offer better audio quality then through an analogue headphone jack mic. But the number of accessories for the 6s jack would be a lot more extensive.

DubDJ wrote: »
    Depends on what price you're paying. If it's from the Apple site I'd pay the extra for the 7. If you're getting a bigger discount on the 6s Plus it would make a difference.

Can you explain more about why the 7 might be better from the Apple site?

For me, the Vodafone €40 monthly contract gives me over €200 saving on the Apple store price for the 7 Plus 128. I'm currently on €30 pre-pay, and this plan requires a €500 downpayment. Total phone cost factoring difference in monthly payments for 2 years is around €780. From Apple, €1030.

The €60 contract requires only €350 down, and pretty much breaks even with the cost of the Apple Store (€32 more in my usage). Total phone cost factoring difference in my monthly payments for 2 years is around €998. (From Apple, €1030.)

I'm looking to see if there's any kind of deal on this tomorrow but I suspect it's unlikely.

(Removed the 6S from consideration as the front camera is not 1080p as I thought, I want to use it as the primary camera).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Can you explain more about why the 7 might be better from the Apple site?

For me, the Vodafone €40 monthly contract gives me over €200 saving on the Apple store price for the 7 Plus 128. I'm currently on €30 pre-pay, and this plan requires a €500 downpayment. Total phone cost factoring difference in monthly payments for 2 years is around €780. From Apple, €1030.

The €60 contract requires only €350 down, and pretty much breaks even with the cost of the Apple Store (€32 more in my usage). Total phone cost factoring difference in my monthly payments for 2 years is around €998. (From Apple, €1030.)

I'm looking to see if there's any kind of deal on this tomorrow but I suspect it's unlikely.

(Removed the 6S from consideration as the front camera is not 1080p as I thought, I want to use it as the primary camera).

Sorry, when I mentioned buying from the Apple site I was using it as an example of prices. So if you were pricing it from two different resellers there might have been a bigger price gap between the two phones. I wasn't suggesting Apple was the better deal.

If you've removed the 6s from the equation then what you're doing is the best option. Weigh up whatever option suits you better. I personally prefer paying up-front and using a low cost monthly plan. Some people prefer a smaller up front cost but paying a larger monthly bill.

If it was between both phones and you were buying from the Apple Store the price would of been small between both. But buying from a phone shop or Amazon might of offered a bigger difference. That would of made a difference in your situation.

• Advertisement

I realise this has dragged off-topic for the thread, apologies - initially I wanted to get feedback on 6s vs 7. If anyone's interested, here's my spreadsheet, for now the Vodafone €40 contract makes sense. I'll update this tonight, hopefully after we get any BF deals in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Just ordered myself a 7 128Gb (non plus) to replace my current 6 (non s) 64GB model. Also will get about £190 cash for my old phone at EE (living in UK) so doesn't work out too badly in the end. Looking forward to receiving delivery of it on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

TinCool wrote: »
    Just ordered myself a 7 128Gb (non plus) to replace my current 6 (non s) 64GB model. Also will get about £190 cash for my old phone at EE (living in UK) so doesn't work out too badly in the end. Looking forward to receiving delivery of it on Monday.

Might get a few more £ in CEX if you phone is unlocked and in good condition
    https://uk.webuy.com/search/index.php?stext=iphone+6+64gb&section=

Anyone having issues with notifications? More specifically notifications from calendar?

I've reminders on my calendar to give my kid medication everyday, 30 & 10 Minutes before he should take his medicine. Sometimes I don't get notifications.

Im using the Apple calendar app and just started using the Google calendar app (to try get notifications as both apps are meant to send notifications). I get notifications when I should on my old Android phone, with no problem.

Anyone able to help/have suggestions?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Anyone having issues with notifications? More specifically notifications from calendar?

I've reminders on my calendar to give my kid medication everyday, 30 & 10 Minutes before he should take his medicine. Sometimes I don't get notifications.

Im using the Apple calendar app and just started using the Google calendar app (to try get notifications as both apps are meant to send notifications). I get notifications when I should on my old Android phone, with no problem.

Anyone able to help/have suggestions?

Is Do Not Disturb enabled? There will be a half moon icon at the top of screen next to the battery icon if it is. You may have enabled Do No Disturb by accident via Control Centre.

• Advertisement

Is Do Not Disturb enabled? There will be a half moon icon at the top of screen next to the battery icon if it is. You may have enabled Do No Disturb by accident via Control Centre.

Nope, thats not enabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Might get a few more £ in CEX if you phone is unlocked and in good condition
    https://uk.webuy.com/search/index.php?stext=iphone+6+64gb&section=

EE were only offering £120 sterling for it. But your one behind the counter say to try game. They gave me £190 cash. Happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭traco

Update after 10 weeks.

Have a 7+ and while its great phone I am disappointed with the screen durability. I have several small scratched on it and its never been dropped or anything. 90% of the time its slipped into back pocket of jeans.

Looking at it closer the screen feels "soft" maybe thats the 3D touch thing but after a few weeks its disappointing. Never had the issue with the 5 that replaced. I'm glad I paid for the Apple care now as I can see this being replaced in a few months.

Anybody else noticed this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭dunworth1

so i'm due an upgrade the middle of January and have decided to get my first iphone after being with android forever I've decided on the 7 plus

my question is what is a really good case for it.

I'm thinking otter box but is there something better?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭dunworth1

have a good look today and i see a good few places recommending tech 21 cases

specifically the elite case and the tactical case
    has anyone used these before?

i also see compub sell these which is an added plus

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

I realise this has dragged off-topic for the thread, apologies - initially I wanted to get feedback on 6s vs 7. If anyone's interested, here's my spreadsheet, for now the Vodafone €40 contract makes sense. I'll update this tonight, hopefully after we get any BF deals in.

was having a look at this myself

Iphone7, 128GB - VF - Currently on €30 plan

Would need to go to €40 plan, with €399 down

So, €399 and 120 per year for new plan = 240 (2 year contract)

so, 639 compared to 889 from Apple, not too bad

But, how long before VF unlock it ?

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,490 ✭✭✭✭guil

If you are an existing bill pay customer it's usually straight away I think or maybe 2 months. It's a while since I got a new iPhone unlocked.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Im obviously missing something here, direct from Apple, the Iphone 7 128gb is €889, and say you went with Tesco €15 a month sim offer over two yrs, that works out at €889 + €360 = €1249 over two years.

Compare that to Vodafone €399 up front for handset and 24 payments of €40 = €960 + €399 = €1359

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭captain caveman

Hello Friends.

Just finished my contract and am due an upgrade. Worth going for the iPhone 7? Any issues etc to be aware of? I'm currently rocking an iPhone 6. How's the headphones etc issue working? Am I right in saying you need an adapter or something? Where does one pick them up?

Also, apols for all of the questions :)

Thanks

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Hello Friends.

Just finished my contract and am due an upgrade. Worth going for the iPhone 7? Any issues etc to be aware of? I'm currently rocking an iPhone 6. How's the headphones etc issue working? Am I right in saying you need an adapter or something? Where does one pick them up?

Also, apols for all of the questions :)

Thanks

The adapter comes in the box with the 7 and 7+

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭captain caveman

Aquos76 wrote: »
    The adapter comes in the box with the 7 and 7+

Super! Thanks for that. How do you find using it etc? Much different to the Iphone 6?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Im obviously missing something here, direct from Apple, the Iphone 7 128gb is €889, and say you went with Tesco €15 a month sim offer over two yrs, that works out at €889 + €360 = €1249 over two years.

Compare that to Vodafone €399 up front for handset and 24 payments of €40 = €960 + €399 = €1359

Yeah..sorry..i was calculating the difference between my plans as I am paying 30 anyway..oops

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,127 ✭✭✭shanec1928

dunworth1 wrote: »
    have a good look today and i see a good few places recommending tech 21 cases

specifically the elite case and the tactical case
    has anyone used these before?

i also see compub sell these which is an added plus
    have had tech21 cases on my last three iPhones. While not the two models in question, have been happy with the quality and the protection provided.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Super! Thanks for that. How do you find using it etc? Much different to the Iphone 6?

I went from the 6 to the 7 on launch day.

If I was in your shoes and at this stage of the year I'd wait for the next one tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,490 ✭✭✭✭guil

kceire wrote: »
    I went from the 6 to the 7 on launch day.

If I was in your shoes and at this stage of the year I'd wait for the next one tbh.

Next one is over 9 months away though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

guil wrote: »
    Next one is over 9 months away though.

I know. The 7 is great, don't get me wrong.
    It's faster, snappier and has everything the 6 doesn't i.e. Battery life, Touch ID, 3D Touch etc

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

dunworth1 wrote: »
    so i'm due an upgrade the middle of January and have decided to get my first iphone after being with android forever I've decided on the 7 plus

my question is what is a really good case for it.

I'm thinking otter box but is there something better?

I would be careful about the Otterbox. I have a Symmetry on iP6, and it is splitting where the 2 different materials meet. I'm in the middle of a replacement at the moment with Otterbox. I was talking to a mate of mine about it and he has 3 cases going in exactly the same places that he is returning to Vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Is anyone's iMessage glitchy? iMessage comes in and I get the sound coming up on my iPad Air 2 on latest iOS but not getting a notification sound or even screen turning on on my iPhone 7, yet iMessage is there on the lock screen. I'm on latest iOS.

I've turned notifications off and on. Works for a bit but then glitches again.

Turned phone off/on made no difference.

Hard reboot. No difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

mad muffin wrote: »
    Is anyone's iMessage glitchy? iMessage comes in and I get the sound coming up on my iPad Air 2 on latest iOS but not getting a notification sound or even screen turning on on my iPhone 7, yet iMessage is there on the lock screen. I'm on latest iOS.

I've turned notifications off and on. Works for a bit but then glitches again.

Turned phone off/on made no difference.

Hard reboot. No difference.
    I reckon try a factory reset.

Kind regards,
    Apple Customer Care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I reckon try a factory reset.

Kind regards,
    Apple Customer Care.

I guess if it persists. I have several 10's of gigabytes filled up on my phone, it's a daunting task.

Also the way Apple implemented iCloud music, makes it a pain in the rear if you also want to sync your on music from the pc.

Advertisement