Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The iPhone 7 & 7 Plus Owners Thread - - - - (No posts about deliveries)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Just because you can't get bluetooth to work in your car?

Just bring the car to a local garage (not a dealership) and tell them you want to reset the bluetooth in your car.

Well yeah - I drive a lot and the in car use was extremely important to me. I need to be able to use my phone on the road. Appreciate its less important for others than for me, but we all have our priorities.

And yes, its annoying because it seems that if I'd just bought a 6s a few months ago, I wouldn't have had any trouble, but no, I said I'd hang on for the new model, which looks almost identical and hasnt really impressed me in terms of new features etc.

I rang Apple earlier and they said that they're not compatible also. I just feel like either VW/Apple have conspired to make this more difficult that it needs to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Anyone know anywhere to pick up a really cheap case for the iPhone 7? I have one on order but it looks like it won't be here before I head off on holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭guil

I rang Apple earlier and they said that they're not compatible also. I just feel like either VW/Apple have conspired to make this more difficult that it needs to be.

Been a tad dramatic now don't you think. It's not unheard of for new tech to be incompatible with another. If it bothers you so much buy a €30 headset or a new radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Just because you can't get bluetooth to work in your car?

Just bring the car to a local garage (not a dealership) and tell them you want to reset the bluetooth in your car.

Well yeah - I drive a lot and the in car use was extremely important to me. I need to be able to use my phone on the road. Appreciate its less important for others than for me, but we all have our priorities.

And yes, its annoying because it seems that if I'd just bought a 6s a few months ago, I wouldn't have had any trouble, but no, I said I'd hang on for the new model, which looks almost identical and hasnt really impressed me in terms of new features etc.

So sell it and get a 6S. Problem solved :)
    I'd be the same as you in terms of the amount I use it. I have an after market stereo thankfully so it was just a case of resetting it to sort out my connectivity issues.

guil wrote: »
    Been a tad dramatic now don't you think. It's not unheard of for new tech to be incompatible with another. If it bothers you so much buy a €30 headset or a new radio.

Yes, and I'm sure you'd be delightful if it was you. Also get some perspective, its not like I said my life was over or something, I just regret my purchase. I never said it was the end of the world. Why are you so precious about someone being disappointed in an apple product? My car is 18months old - I shouldnt have to buy a new radio.

Honestly - if you've nothing useful to say, I don't see the point in you commenting.

To those of you who've been actually helpful, thanks for your suggestions etc, unfortunately I'm no better off but I'm hoping either party will come out with a fix before long :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Just find it strange that you are the only one experiencing this.
    You. We'd someone to have a look at it, not a VW dealer that will simply read from the official VW memo.

It should pair as normal.

kceire wrote: »
    Just find it strange that you are the only one experiencing this.
    You. We'd someone to have a look at it, not a VW dealer that will simply read from the official VW memo.

It should pair as normal.

I'm not actually, the VW garage said they'd 2 others in with the same issue. No solutions though. All 2015 cars.

I also rang a VW service place thats closer to where I live and they told me that they'd the same issue with another person who had a 2015 Skoda which apparently has the same control unit.

You could look into updating the firmware of the device if there is one available, I would expect this is how they will fix it... or not :)

Check out this video to understand what I mean.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dyd-h8QW7A

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭keith_d99

I am with SarahMollie on this one ... this would drive me nuts!!

As MetalDave has eluded to ...

Hopefully it's a software issue that can be solved by VW via firmware update ... .and not a hardware issue in the current VW unit

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I've read about Bluetooth issues with the new iPhone, specifically connecting to cars so your not alone.

Edit: This is where I read it, points more to the iOS update causing the problem than the phone though.
    https://9to5mac.com/2016/09/29/iphone-7-ios-10-bluetooth-connectivity-issues/

I've found Bluetooth to be a bit spotty on the 7 myself. E.g. While playing music through my Bluetooth speaker my 6 and 5c would have no issue but the 7 will sometimes cause the connection to stutter. Only thing that's changed is the iPhone 7, and sometimes connecting to my Bluetooth headphones won't be picked up in the music app as an output right away, although that could be software related.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭traco

Well, my long awaited Black 7+ arrived today. Backed up my 5 in iTunes,powered up the 7. Did the few steps to where it asked i wanted to restore a previous backup. Connected to iTunes. Grabbed a coffee and came back to it all sorted.

Last 30 mins checking apps for passwords, email accounts etc.

First impressions- its big! Very fast. Camera is superb. Sound vastly improved. Screen is a huge step up. Got a cheap eBay case and luckily that arrived today also as I'm sure I'm going to drop it as the size is so different.

Overall a massive jump from a 5 so well worth it for me. I'll be getting my office 365 all set up on it over the next while and we will see if it can replace my laptop on 2/3 day trips abroad.

Forgot to say that the Haptic touch is a bit "Meh", might get used to it but not doing anything for me at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Albert_Camus

Do we need to make this a - no deliveries / car connection chat :) I wanna read about the damn phone !

Do we need to make this a - no deliveries / car connection chat :) I wanna read about the damn phone !

Be nice :) Forums help people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭traco

Probably get better advice in the audio section of the motors forum anyway

traco wrote: »

Probably get better advice in the audio section of the motors forum anyway
    She would still need the advice from the Boards Genius Bar for the phone side of things. 8-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

The Belfast store showed a 128gb jet black 7 coming in on Monday night, so I jumped on it pretty quickly. Delighted with it, the camera looks great and the jet black is really amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

So I'm still on the fence… black or jet black. When I think I made up my mind to go jet black, I get doubts and now I'm thinking black… :confused:

Why Apple! Why did you have to bring out two desirable colours?! Why?!?!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

mad muffin wrote: »
    So I'm still on the fence… black or jet black. When I think I made up my mind to go jet black, I get doubts and now I'm thinking black… :confused:

I've got the Jet black plus, it's a truly stunning phone. Nicest looking phone I've ever had I think though I did like the silver iPhone 5s I had. Don't think you'll regret whatever one you choose as the Matt black is class too, a lot slippier though if you're going caseless.

So I'm still on the fence black or jet black. When I think I made up my mind to go jet black, I get doubts and now I'm thinking black :confused:

I sat on the same fence and pondered for some time. In the end I went with black. Last night I sauntered into CompuB to suss out an Apple Watch and saw/held the Jet Black, all I can say is I do not regret my decision one single bit. I know some fellow 7 users here are happy, but the finger prints would have driven me mental. I find myself polishing my screen as it it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I sat on the same fence and pondered for some time. In the end I went with black. Last night I sauntered into CompuB to suss out an Apple Watch and saw/held the Jet Black, all I can say is I do not regret my decision one single bit. I know some fellow 7 users here are happy, but the finger prints would have driven me mental. I find myself polishing my screen as it it!

Yeah, I'm constantly polishing my screen too. I won't be putting it in a case either. Never have used a case and screen protector and never will.

Ponder, ponder, ponder…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭deep1

Yeah, I'm constantly polishing my screen too. I won't be putting it in a case either. Never have used a case and screen protector and never will.

Ponder, ponder, ponder…

I have a matte black and love it, you still notice fingerprints etc compare to silver 6s plus i had but it is nice colour.

To be honest you can't go wrong with any of the colour but micro scratches will drive me crazy as i don't use case too, i held one in Madrid and it was covered in scratches ( not sure if people were trying to scratch) but that made my decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Ponder, ponder, ponder…

The fingerprints aren't that bad for me except if I've eaten something greasy. In general daily use the fingerprints are barely noticeable. If you're going caseless the Matt black might not scratch as easily but you're more likely to drop it I think, I think unbox therapy had a video where it fell straight out of his hand in the middle of it. If it's a normal 7 and not the plus though you should be fine.

That's a luxury I cannot afford, like I said in the other thread, phone basically jumps outta my hand at any chance it can. It needs protection. I wish it didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

HOLY SHIEET!!

If I used my Revolut card today I could've got the iPhone 7 Plus 128GB for 909 Euro

:'(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Had a silver 128gb delivered to work early in the week.

I'm upgrading from a 6 primarily because I was finding that the battery life had deteriorated in the last few months. I'm not a heavy user, but the charge on my 6 would be nearly depleted after 15 hours of use. I found that there were times where I'd plug in the phone and the power would jump from a 1% charge to mid 20% instantly.

I had an upgrade which also put me on a cheaper bill, so I was happy. Loved the look of the jet black model, but I was put off by reports of the surface scratching.

After a few days use I'm noticing great battery life, snappy app start-up, huge improvement in the quality of the rear-facing camera, and noticeable sound improvement. The 3D Touch is a nice feature, but so far I haven't found any innovative use for it. While it's a minor feature, I can't get over how good the haptic touch on the home button is.

As I said I went for the silver model. It's nice, but I think it'd look even better if they abondoned the white face and used silver all over the body. Regardless, it has been housed in an otterbox and I've a glass screen cover ordered. I don't mind adding a little extra bulk to keep it protected.

So far I'm delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,061 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Lads during the apple key note, didn't they mention about a major update for the camera some time?

When is the eta for that?

Somthing to do with 3d camera?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Castlebel

Headshot wrote: »
    Lads during the apple key note, didn't they mention about a major update for the camera some time?

Its the portrait mode which blurs out the background. It's available on the iOS 10.1 public beta. Works really well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Headshot wrote: »

He referred to it as the "depth effect" and just said later this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,061 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Can anyone recommend a good screen protector for the Iphone 7 plus?

Something tempered glass

Advertisement