Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard to handle life right now.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Thanks all and for your warm pms.
    Today was a better day, no tears or dead end thoughts.
    The wife is more positive and so am i. I actually think the hernia is blocking the legs or maybe the cord.
    We are positive and for now thats all that matters. We were again a normal couple this weekend and tried to avoid talking about anything serious.
    God knows what this week will bring but as the phrase goes "here goes nothing".

I'll be thinking of you, Bear.

The very best of luck tomorrow, I'll be thinking good thoughts for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

Very best of luck.will be thinking of you.x

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

Very best of luck.will be thinking of you.x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Moo Moo Land

bear1 wrote: »
    I've got a boss who has practically turned against me and anything I try to do. Any idea I give isn't good enough and any mistakes I make are treated as a catastrophe.

Record everything!

You might need it for a case of unfair dismissal.

• Advertisement

Record everything!

You might need it for a case of unfair dismissal.

Wont bother for now. Once things settle down thend I'll ask for a meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Oh God, feel so bad for you. I can only imagine where you're at in your head. Good luck for tomorrow, I'm sure a cloud of good thoughts, prayers, vibes, everything AH has to offer will follow you through the day.
    I'll be thinking of you too xxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Bear, I'm sorry I can't offer any helpful advice. I've never been in your position so I can't understand or imagine what you and your wife are going through.

I just wanted you both to know I'm thinking of you both, and wishing you all the best with work and the pregnancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

Very sorry to hear and best of luck today!

I'll just quickly provide an update to this, even though there isn't really much to say.
    Tests are ongoing and the scan was postponed to tomorrow so the scan will tell all tomorrow or by max thursday. Almost there..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jrop

Bear1 I just want to send you and your wife a masssive hug. I hope all goes well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Pippa_Pipsy

Hope the outcome is good Bear

Just be kind to yourself and tell yourself you are doing your best in this situation. Be strong for your child and wife too, the most important thing is to talk which you are doing so well done, no shame in expressing your feelings. If everyone did there would be a lot more happier families out there.

X

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Karmella

Best of luck with the tests, the not knowing and waiting is often worse than any outcome :-/

Just wanted to add a little something from the perspective of someone born without a limb .... 40 years ago I was born without my right arm from the elbow. No scans in those days so my poor parents got an awful shock when I popped out! To this day we have no idea why it happened but one of the theories is that the cord wrapped around my arm in the womb and it never developed. But who knows really.
    At the time my mother was devastated but she got on with it. Regular trips over the years were made to the Rehabilitation hospital in Dun Laoghaire to be fitted for a prosthetic limb. I used to wear the ugliest most awful prosthetic - it was a metal hook! But it was very practical and there really was nothing I couldn't do.
    And the developments made in prosthetics in the last 40 years is out of this world - just look at the paralympians!! The ugly hook is long gone, and I now have a motorised hand which opens & closes when I flex my muscles. (Pretty awesome really!)

Now, please understand I'm not trying to play it down or be glib, I know that being without legs will be a hell of a lot more difficult to overcome but I guess I'm trying to say it's not the end of the world either.
    If anything being born the way I was made me a very determined person, I hated not being able to do something and would always try to find knacks to get something done. And my parents supported me every step of the way - never said 'oh no you can't do that'.

Karmella wrote: »
    Best of luck with the tests, the not knowing and waiting is often worse than any outcome :-/

Just wanted to add a little something from the perspective of someone born without a limb .... 40 years ago I was born without my right arm from the elbow. No scans in those days so my poor parents got an awful shock when I popped out! To this day we have no idea why it happened but one of the theories is that the cord wrapped around my arm in the womb and it never developed. But who knows really.
    At the time my mother was devastated but she got on with it. Regular trips over the years were made to the Rehabilitation hospital in Dun Laoghaire to be fitted for a prosthetic limb. I used to wear the ugliest most awful prosthetic - it was a metal hook! But it was very practical and there really was nothing I couldn't do.
    And the developments made in prosthetics in the last 40 years is out of this world - just look at the paralympians!! The ugly hook is long gone, and I now have a motorised hand which opens & closes when I flex my muscles. (Pretty awesome really!)

Now, please understand I'm not trying to play it down or be glib, I know that being without legs will be a hell of a lot more difficult to overcome but I guess I'm trying to say it's not the end of the world either.
    If anything being born the way I was made me a very determined person, I hated not being able to do something and would always try to find knacks to get something done. And my parents supported me every step of the way - never said 'oh no you can't do that'.

I admire your outcome, being born without a limb must be a serious burden (especially in those days) to live with.
    I'm fascinated by the robotic arm... can you do serious damage with it? :) i.e. a la iron man?
    On a serious note, yes you are right it will be harder (if that is the case) but at the same time it does not mean the child will not develop into a successful human being.
    I hope and pray however I can watch the baby take it's first steps, help it learn how to swim etc. The typical daddy things you do.

I admire your outcome, being born without a limb must be a serious burden (especially in those days) to live with.
    I'm fascinated by the robotic arm... can you do serious damage with it? :) i.e. a la iron man?
    On a serious note, yes you are right it will be harder (if that is the case) but at the same time it does not mean the child will not develop into a successful human being.
    I hope and pray however I can watch the baby take it's first steps, help it learn how to swim etc. The typical daddy things you do.

Good luck again bear.

Whatever you and your wife go through this week, there's a whole load of strangers on the internet, thinking good thoughts for you and hoping for the best with you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Karmella

Ha ha yes I could do some serious damage alright if I wanted to :p And growing up with a hook meant that nobody ever messed with me either!! ;)

I totally get what you are saying about the daddy stuff - and I would say that you will be able to see a lot of 'firsts' with your child no matter what - they may end up being a little different to most people but they will still be special events and milestones for you & your child. As long as you are there to be their daddy and you encourage and help them that is all that matters.

Very true :)
    Further update, scan is scheduled for tomorrow morning. So tomorrow will be the day I hold my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭HiGlo

Thank you for sharing your mindspace with us bear1. I’m sure it was hard to sit down and write all that but hopefully you felt a little bit better after you did.

I’m not even sure it’s advice you’re looking for. Moreso offloading I guess.

My only thoughts on your situation would be to maybe try a macro view of it all…. Sometimes we focus too much on the micro and stress the small things, but by trying a macro view it can help prioritise the bigger issues that need to be dealt with. Obviously in this case it is your unborn child, but try to zoom out and see where it positions everything else then…

Again, zoom out on the list of bills that need to be paid. Don’t just think of them all together as a clump of bills – look top down… What absolutely without doubt 100% has to be paid and then zoom in and prioritise. You might find bills or services that you realistically could do without or reduce significantly. Like, maybe you don’t have time to watch much tv and could cut or reduce that provider – even temporarily. Watch stuff on the internet…

I’m always thinking I’d love to have like a personal admin person…. Someone I could get to look at my service providers (phones/tv/insurance etc) and see where I could cut back and set me up on a new package or something. Hahaha… Like, to shop around for cheaper/better deals for me…. Maybe you could ask a family member or friend to do this. Is this a ridiculous idea?? Just someone who might have time or be happy to help you out in this way. They could research options and just come back to you and show “if you switch from this package to this one with this other company you can save X amount” and then the time consuming part of the work is done and you can just sign up for the new deal. You don’t even have to think about it. Let’s you focus on the bigger, important things. Anyway, my own random thinking…. haha

I hope all goes well for you all with the scans and I think you’re right to be thinking positively.
    Fingers crossed for you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Musketeer4

You are in a very horrible situation and all i can say is good luck.

Regarding the money and bills, maybe you can make some savings there.

I don't know what your job entails but if you work in finance I am assuming, perhaps erroneously, that you earn a very decent salary? Do you have lots of luxuries that you could scale back on, eg big car etc?

Some suggestions:
    - cut the sky or any other luxury subscriptions
    - if you drive a fancy car downsize to something more economical but still practical.
    - don't be going to restaurants and hotels, maybe make a nice home cooked dinner for your family instead and a day out
    - don't be buying work lunches and bring a home made packed lunch to work instead.
    - dispense with any unused or unnecessary memberships or subscriptions, gyms etc etc.
    - cancel your broadband account and either one or both of you get an all you can eat data deal on your mobiles and just hot-spot off that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Pedro K

Very true :)
    Further update, scan is scheduled for tomorrow morning. So tomorrow will be the day I hold my breath.

Good luck, dude.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Koptain Liverpool

Good luck mate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Best of luck to you both tomorrow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Hey Bear.

Your precious baby's health is the number 1 priority at the moment. As long as she pulls through, having a disability will be small cheese comparatively speaking. And fcuk the boss, there will be other jobs. Fcuk the mortgage too, you can worry about it in a few months when your baby is flinging weetabix at you!

Best of luck tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Wild Garlic

Best of luck tomorrow dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Best of luck for tomorrow.. I hope and pray you've been worrying over nothing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

We were told our child had Edwards syndrome because of the measurements on the scans

Just put a healthy five year old to bed just now

Best of luck tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭meforever

Be happy.......all is well.........

Fear causes worry.....

Worry cause stress....

Stress causes the mind to prepare for what worry and fear have suggested.

The mind will decide the prevailing outcome.

Fill your mind with positive outcomes only.

Author unknown

The very best of luck to you and your wife tomorrow Bear, and little Bear. After Hours will be thinking of you :) x

• Registered Users Posts: 21,860 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

I just want to wish you and your wife the best wishes for tomorrow.

No matter whether your fears become reality or not, you will both deal with whatever lies ahead .None of us know how strong we are until we are put to the test.

Hope you both can manage to get some sleep tonight , again,best wishes :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Best wishes, and whatever tomorrow brings, I wish you every success with it

Advertisement